January 6 - Day 1

Robert2014

omg...panic attack...yesterday evening i ate i dessertspoon of balsamic vinegar on my dinner... ingredients...sulphites....does this mean a restart? 

I don't think so because balsamic vinegar is allowed. I believe the only vinegar this not allowed is malt and anything with added sugar liked seasoned rice vinegar.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Phew!  The headache is gone…HELLO Day 3!  Drinking my coffee black (!) because the store was out of coconut milk w/o sugar or carageenan.  I was surprised that, while eating my big ass plate of veggies sautéed in coconut oil with an egg and (more) leftover chicken, I took a sip of that black coffee and it tasted…sweet.  Whaaa?   

Waiting for the arrival of Kill All the Things.  I plan to take out my anger on the companies and government agencies that have duped us into thinking skim milk and whole grains are healthy.  I hope my family can stand me when the ranting begins.  And hopefully it won't start on this day while we're still all locked up at home from the cold.  

Made pork chops last night (olive oil on the baking sheet, salt, pepper, garlic on the chops.  Sliced an apple and put it on the pan around the chops.  1/2 of a roasted acorn squash and a few mushrooms sautéed in clarified butter.  Gotta say, it turned out great!  Was wishing for some cauli-rice, but on my Sunday shopping trip there was none to be had.  Maybe next week will be cauliflower week.   :rolleyes:

Feeling great!

Hi all this is my second whole 30 and I'm 3 days in.  I don't remember feeling SO exhausted from my last one but this one I feel like I'm going to die of exhaustion.  Anyone else?

Absolutely!!! Yesterday at 1pm I felt knocked OUT! I was foggy, tired and listless. I went home a bit early, napped and then went for a run. The run made ALL the difference, I perked up and was much better. Hang in there! And maybe have a nap ;)

Thanks praxisproject- I am rethinking my breakfast foods. I usually do cereal, so need to think non traditional breakfast foods.

For some that have given up sausage- you can make your own. I grind my own with an attachment on my KitchenAid, but you can get the butcher to grind the meat for you. Then it's just a matter of adding whatever you what- whether it's breakfast sausage, Italian sausage or my favorite, chicken apple. I don't use casings, you can cook the sausage loose or in patties. I'll try to post some recipes later.

Feeling better today. I took all non compliant food to the food bank today. Nice to have a "clean" pantry. Hoping everyone starts feeling better soon.

Putting in an herb garden today- looking forward to some new herbs to add to recipes!!

I don't think so because balsamic vinegar is allowed. I believe the only vinegar this not allowed is malt and anything with added sugar liked seasoned rice vinegar.

It depends on the label. If sulfites is in the ingredients list then that brand is not W30 approved. If you see "may contain sulfites" or something similar then it is referring to naturally occuring sulfites and that is ok. At least this is what I remember from the many discussions I've seen on the topic. If it falls into the prior it does require a restart or waiting extra days to reintroduce them.

Day 3 for me!

Breakfast: 3 whole eggs, sweet potatos, onion, mushroom, zuchini (about a quarter of a medium sweet potato) handfuls of everything else. Cooked veggies in coconut oil

Enjoyed my black coffee when I got to work

Lunch: Beef roast, kale, onion, sweet potato (about 1/2 potato) 1/2 an avocado I made into guac ( onion, tomato, jalapeno, lime) and a pear

Pre work out: Handful of raw cashews and deli meat (turkey boars head)

Dinner: Steak on top of Argula and Spinach topped with salsa and the same guac I made  earlier in the day

Also brought a handful of Olives and a banana with me to work in case I feel like I need it.

I preped and cooked my food on Sunday so everything is good to go. I will be eating basically the same thing all week. I am used to prepping my food because I have followed the Eat Clean Diet for the last 3 years. The basics of that were lean protein, whole grains, lots of fruits and veggies. I feel like it really helped prepare me for the Whole 30. I thought I might have a hard time with my workouts this week due to the lack of grains but I have powered through them just fine. I workout pretty intensly Monday - Thursday and a more relaxed workout on Saturdays. I am really enjoying this so far! I am already putting my meal plan together for next week:) I am used to eating about 6 times a day but I am really enjoying not being hungry between meals! Not having to snack between is quite liberating!

Just a side note: I have been researching this diet for a while now and feel like it is the best option for me. The concept makes a lot of sense. I am looking to improve my health and preformance at the gym. I don't weigh myself often but usually bounce around from about 113-115 lbs. I'm 5'4. I am not looking to lose weight but if I could get leaner that would be awesome. I do a lot of HIIT and weight lifting so I feel that paired with this new way of eating can help me get where I really want to be!

Strong work Team J6!  We are almost through the first week (aka Day 3)!  And many early starters are blazing the trail ahead.

We have an impressive group of folks gathered here.  Excellent excellent posts.

A note to the first timers:

Days 3 - 6 were challenging for me on my first W30.  Headache and difficulty focusing followed by fatigue, and pretty much every other ailment described in the preceding posts etc.  I exited the pain cave in good style on day 7.

To those of you quickly exiting the hangover/kill all the things phase, congratulations.  Be vigilant, there may be other challenges ahead.

For those getting hammered by W30, rest assured that this is normal and IT WILL PASS.  It may seem wickedly challenging while you're in the moment.  Remember, for every one thing you can't eat, there are a hundred things you can.  It's all about making the right choice.  Please keep sharing your challenges and look forward to stepping out of the cave sometime in the next few days.  It will happen.

If you get the sense that "I can't do this anymore," please share ASAP.  JKStarcher, Jesmarie and many others will give you the best darn motivational speech you have ever heard. 

If you inadvertently stub your toe, no biggie.  Please share and get some guidance from our excellent team of moderators.

If you are not sure how you are going to handle that upcoming weekend with the family or trip to the chocolate factory with the kids or happy hour with your co-workers or weekend BBQ with the neighbors etc., let us know.  For every challenge, there are many solutions. It is so much easier if you talk through a plan up front.  CpTChuckie's upcoming weekend ice fishing trip is a perfect example.  A very W30 hostile environment.  Much like my trip to Disneyland with my son during my first W30.  For most of us, we need to think these challenges through instead of just winging it.

Best,

Robert

BREEZING through day 3.  Still suspicious, can this be real life...I was kind of looking forward to killing all the things (ok, not really).  

After yesterday am's nausea and headache and some late afternoon dragging, I made it to yoga, had some ground chicken, veggies and tomato sauce for dinner and then fairly BOUNCED around the house for a few hours.  Seriously...bounced.  

Did not want to get out of bed this AM, but I think that's more work/winter related than anything.  Cruising along now with coconut milk and cinnamon in my coffee (dramatic improvement!  It's not the vanilla latte that will likely begin haunting my dreams, but it's not half bad either).

In line with what Robert2014 notes above, I'm working on a plan to survive pizza night this evening.  I checked the menu already and the ENTIRE thing is basically no go (shocking, I know) except for the side salad, if I get it without cheese (EVERYTHING on the menu includes cheese...have we no respect for the lactose intolerant!?!?!?!?).  The current plan is to just eat before we go, then order a tea and maybe said side salad to keep SOMETHING not pizza in front of me at "dinner".  I guess I could have skipped out on these plans all together, but they were set far in advance and even requesting a location change is pretty much not an option.  I could also just bail, but I'd like to find ways to not become a Whole 30 hermit and cope in less than ideal food locales, since they are pretty much everywhere. 

Of course, if the hangover or some insane craving sets in later I may rethink this strategy, there's a fine line between testing your limits and torturing yourself.

I had an interesting morning. I was sad when I woke up--I was missing my morning latte. Since I didn't overly enjoy yesterday's coffee, I guess I don't really like COFFEE itself but the sugar that was in it. Le sad. 

I had my frittata's for breakfast and I have had good energy all day.

BUT if I see any sugary things in my path I just want to go SHE-HULK on it!!! 

I have no serious plans this weekend but food prep and a NomNomPaleo book signing at a paleo restaurant. 

Check in later :)

~Christine

Checking in for Day 3. I'd like to share a victory and vent a little bit.

First, for the victory. Last night was book club. My book club is pretty much an excuse to socialize with friends and drink wine during the week. I considered not going, but I thought it would be a good exercise in restraint and control. I think I may have underestimated how difficult it would be. I got there late with the intention of arriving after everyone had eaten, but, of course, they didn't even START eating until I got there. I had already informed everyone ahead of time that I was doing W30 and wouldn't be eating or drinking. Everyone was super supportive; no one tried to tempt me, which is great. So, I sat there demurely with my glass of water while everyone ate their pizza and salad and drank wine. I got through that part pretty well.

A little later came dessert. I swear ... I could SMELL the desserts as soon as the boxes were opened, and I was practically drooling all over myself. I'm surprised I didn't climb over the counter and attack the food like a starving vampire. (Side note: Has anyone else noticed that, after not eating anything sweet except for fruit and sweet potatoes, you are that much more sensitive to sweetness? I practically chomp at the bit for a chance to eat a banana.) To add insult to injury, whilst everyone was eating dessert, they talked about Little Debbie cakes the entire time. I felt like I was going to freak out.

BUT, with all that being said, I Didn't. Eat. ANYTHING. I sat there and quietly drank my glass of water.

Now, on to my venting. I don't really feel happy about this. I feel pretty pissed off, actually. I'm definitely in the anger stage (read this). I am so angry that I'm having such a hard time with this. I am so angry that I can't have sweets. I am so angry that I'm so angry! Instead of feeling happy that I was able to resist the sweets, I feel angry and resentful towards myself for having such a hard time and for having such a problem with food that I'm feeling this way at all.

This goes back to my post about having trouble with veggies in the morning. I'm being a total brat about having to do it. I literally stomped my feet in the kitchen this morning, grumbling the entire time about having to eat this crap these veggies first thing in the morning when ALL I want to do is eat fruit and oatmeal.

I may just need to have my own, private BF (bitch fit) at home. Maybe that'll help release some of this.

Anyway ... I am so thankful for this thread and everyone in it! This is really keeping me in it. Keep it up, y'all!

Proud of you for going to your book club and resisting temptations! I have book club this Friday, where lots of beer is consumed and I have decided not to go, because it will be too painful :( 

I am already looking forward to Day 31, I'm planning on having a nice glass of Maker's Mark ( or two!)

I heard my co-worker open a coke or something, now I don't normally drink coke at work, but it upset me a little bit.. I only have this dumb water!

@mk_hammer

You are a rock star!  B) You navigated that book club and not even a nibble! Impressive.  Have your temper tantrums (those are allowed on the W30 haha) guilt-free.

Speaking of difficult situations, my hubby, not on the W30, politely informed me that he REALLY wants pizza tonight, but he knows I can't eat it.  I said, no problem!  I'll just make my own dinner.  And I will.  May have to employ the rub-Vicks-under-my-nose tactic to fight off the aroma...

I'm also getting prepared for Friday night.  Girls night out to see Wicked…and dining at a restaurant.  I perused the menu.  Looks like there are some salad options and I can add chicken or shrimp to those.  Any suggestions for dealing with potential cooking oils/marinades when ordering my protein?  

Last obstacle (for now): my DS turns 5 on the 16th.  I will be baking a pirate cake for him.  None for me.  That's going to be tough.

One more thought…what will I do when we finally get back to school and I can't jump on the forum anytime I want???  

A Reflection on Day 3:

I need to love myself as much as my children and my partner do.  My four-year old innocently tells me I'm fat but I know she loves me beyond reason and doesn't see my weight as a disqualifying condition.  My partner tells me I'm beautiful inside and out.  I will have faith in their love; believe I am important, that I am a blessing and I will treat myself with the love I - and they -  deserve.  I will do the next right thing out of love not self-flagellation.

@kt cat

Seltzer water comes in cans--I bet that's what your co-worker opened.  ;) It makes me feel like I'm drinking something special, even though it only smells flavored.  Didn't want to commit the $$ or counter-space to a soda-stream, though they seem very cool.

Hello, I started the 6th as well and so far so good, but I have been busy at work and have not had much free time to make a slip.  This is my first one and I eat pretty clean anyway but the holidays completely got out of control and I am here to refocus and lose some holiday excess!! 

I'm in Seattle so it is going to be hard with the playoff games and not drinking beers and mimosas...but I am planning on some soda water and limes, ha! 

@mk_hammer way to power through Temptation Island.  I can totally see the angry, I have long 'it is just sugar and it is the devil you pathetic weakling' convos with myself as well.  

HOWEVER, when that person in my head pipes up this is what I tell her "YO, I've been eating this way for almost 34 YEARS, I have been trying to change that for approximately 2.5 DAYS.  I'm not good at math but I think as an overall percentage there's probably a reason this is kinda difficult, and the fact that no one else around me eats this way is probably not helping.  I'm still on it, I will stay on it.  Cut me some slack."  Then carry on foot stomping (call it cardio) if you need to, vent all you need to, WHATEVER you need to...just keep at it with us.  It can only get better...

Hello All

Day 6 here and doing well.  I have my first business dinner coming up tomorrow night and it is a buffet with serving tables....going for the meats and veggies only....It would be too awkward to not eat but if there is truly nothing I can work with ~ I will put some things on the plate and push them around a bit.

Seltzer and lime will be the beverage of choice to keep people from pushing the alcohol :) We all know how that goes.

AND....I had a dream last night that I ate a piece of pecan pie....OMGOODNESS ~ I woke up this morning and was looking around the bedroom for crumbs, I really thought I ate it and the guilt was terrible.

So helpful to read everyone's updates....keep them coming they are incredibly helpful.

Sending positive W30 vibes to all

best

Cheryl

@MK_Hammer...lol. I feel ya on the sweets. My friend Stacy & I actually had an epiphany the other day b/c I asked her how she prepared her Java Vana Mate tea (which is basically like a chocolate tea) b/c it just wasn't tasting the same as when I had it for the first time when she prepared it for me. After a 10 minute conversation, she texts: "OMG! You had it when you had just finished Whole30, after not having sweets for 30 days...so you could TASTE the natural sweetness in the tea!". I've had so many sweets over the holidays, my tastebuds have become numb. lol. So, yes...your sensitivity to sweetness is perfectly normal. I actually miss that part...being able to really TASTE things. Btw - Nice job on staying strong at the book club! It's hard, but it gets easier the more you practice...just like anything else. And it is perfectly okay to get pissy about it. I was pretty bitchy the first two days this week as I came off my sugar withdrawal. My mood has definitely improved. Hang in there...soon you won't care (as much)...though don't be surprised to have a lapse here & there. I remember one particular Sunday (around Day 20) when I literally wanted to EAT ALL THE THINGS...good, bad...didn't matter. I was insatiable. Fought the urge, woke the next morning, and all was back to normal. lol.

And @Kelly M ... my signature might be of some benefit to you to read. I've repasted it here for your convenience:

"My worth is in the weight of my strengths, the power in my stride, the confidence of my voice... I have always had these things, I just couldn't uncover them when I was obsessed with other's opinions and attempting to shrink til I was 'whole.' Character is measured in character, not on scales." - Erin Brown (Fit Mama)

You are NOT your weight (OR any other flaw that you may perceive in yourself). You are so much more than that. Trust me, I have struggled with this for pretty much all of my life...never feeling "enough". Skinny enough, organized enough, hardworking enough, good enough as a mother, etc. etc. It's exhausting. Let it go. Until you accept yourself (wholly) how you are now, nothing else will matter. Three years ago, I lost 80lbs in 9 months, ran 2 half marathons, 1 marathon, & completed my first sprint triathlon within my first year and a half of working out....and I still didn't feel "good enough". I thought losing the weight was the solution to how I felt about myself. It was a PAINFUL realization over this last year that my weight was never the problem. The problem was that I didn't like myself very much, so no matter what I did, or what I accomplished...I could have done better. Just prior to my first Whole 30 (late October). I FINALLY saw the light, so-to-speak...thanks to a meltdown in the middle of the gym during a session with my trainer. lol. <AWKWARD> Seriously, though...it was an awakening. And I haven't looked back. EVERYTHING is so much easier when you start by accepting yourself and where you're at now. Until you do that, it will always be an uphill battle. Sorry for getting a little carried away, but this is something that I consider very important. [ok...putting down the microphone...lol]

And to quote Stuart Smalley (SNL) -- ;)
HKQPG2V33PUA_7K5V_BB_L_LS.jpg

I did really well on Day 1 and Day 2, but Day 2 and 7/8 (around midnight), I woke from my sound sleep with major stomach cramps. After an hour-long bout with diarrhea (sorry for TMI), I made it back to bed and slept well. This morning (Day 3), I'm feeling sort of quesy and tired, but the email for Day 3 made me feel very reassured. For lunch I'm having 3 hard-boiled eggs, squash, roasted cauliflower & brussel sprouts, water and a small apple. It's so wonderful not being super hungry between meals.

Great to keep up with you all -- keep on keeping on!

I'm posting earlier today, just had some anxious moments . Felt needy of food at 3 pm and thought how can I wait until supper. Remembered the advice to eat a small meal, so I had some leftover hamburger, carrots some pumpkin seeds and a few raspberries. I believe I didn't have a big enough lunch. Have never eaten this many vegetables, time to go shopping again.

Day 3 Check In.... TIRED! But chugging through. Making good food. Following the template. No cravings, which is good!

I just have to say, I know it's only DAY 3 but everyone is doing so AWESOME. Especially you first timers! Way to overcome and be strong. Reading everyone's ups and downs is great, even the downs. It's normal and y'all are fighting through.

And to us 2nd, 3rd, 4th timers, etc. Way to get back in it. I definitely am feeling it harder this time around. But I wasn't at such a poor state health wise a year ago when I took on my first Whole30.

Day 3 and doing okay with the food part.  Staying full most of the time and avoiding temptations without much difficulty.  I think I may be at the KILL ALL THINGS point....PMS at the same time doesn't help : )  Really grumpy and having trouble focusing and staying on task.  My daughter keeps asking, 'Mom, what's wrong?  You seem aggravated with everything.'  Remembering from last January's whole30 that it does get better, just don't remember when it did.  Should probably keep a journal.  

Two quick tips...1.  I brush, floss and have a swish of mouthwash after every meal.  2.  I try to go to bed early to avoid the late night munchies.

2.5 days down, 27.5 to go

-Cat

Archived