January 6 - Day 1

Robert2014

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Later this morning I drug myself out to play some tennis (I live in CA so we're not experiencing the deep freeze some of you others are -- sorry).  Well first off playing tennis with a headache sucks and second playing tennis with lead legs and the feeling you barely have enough strength to hit the ball sucks.  So other than getting some fresh air not a totally satisfying experience.  Oh well, this too will pass, right?

Yes it will. I experienced a 2 week drop in performance both running and in the gym when I made the switch but after those 2 weeks I more than made it up. Hang in there!

Checking in for Day 2.

Breakfast was Bulletproof coffee w/ghee & coconut oil, 2 eggs & a large package of sea snax :)  Less veggies, but I left a part of my lunch out of my bag & didn't eat until I got to work this morning.  I will do better tomorrow about eating breakfast at home before I leave.

Lunch was salad greens, bacon & a can of wild caught, tomato sauce packed sardines, some coconut, some pecans & blueberries.

Dinner will be chicken & veggie soup or maybe chicken fried "rice" if the kids are cooperative.

WOD will be a few minutes of planks, some pushups & a few turkish getups, so may just do this after dinner since will be maybe 15 minutes total time.  Little unsure how to do the pre/post WO meals with a light workout around a real meal?!

{edited to add: I'm not a crossfitter.  I practice krav maga & we do a stong first kettlebell weight training thing that I also do at home.}

I think I might have hit the 'Kill All Things' phase early........this morning as my husband was crunching on his bagel at the breakfast table I wanted to strangle him.   :angry:   I've never before paid attention to what he was eating let alone fixate on his chewing!!

Later this morning I drug myself out to play some tennis (I live in CA so we're not experiencing the deep freeze some of you others are -- sorry).  Well first off playing tennis with a headache sucks and second playing tennis with lead legs and the feeling you barely have enough strength to hit the ball sucks.  So other than getting some fresh air not a totally satisfying experience.  Oh well, this too will pass, right?

Carry on J6er's -- Only 29 1/2 days to go!!!

I feel ya!  I had a major headache last night, as soon as I ate some dinner it went away.  I started Crossfit yesterday as well, why not challenge myself in all areas?!  We'll see how tonight goes.

Had a good day 2 but I did have a question! After dinner I was still hungry and I ended up eating another half a serve of sweet potato mash & choc chilli, plus probably 2-3 small handfuls of cashews! Followed of course by quite a bit of guilt!! Anyway...is that a deal breaker? Do I need to start over or just move on? I didn't eat anything off plan, just the quantities were off, really! Feeling a bit weird about it.

Have started this morning well with a spinach, tomato and mushroom omelette & coconut milk coffee. My hubby is loving that coffee, he wants to keep on with it after we're finished! I'm just waiting for this headache to go, and it it just me or are some of you getting hot flashes every so often and just quietly aching all over?

Anyway, thanks for letting me vent some concerns! Hope everyone has a great day :D

Had a good day 2 but I did have a question! After dinner I was still hungry and I ended up eating another half a serve of sweet potato mash & choc chilli, plus probably 2-3 small handfuls of cashews! Followed of course by quite a bit of guilt!! Anyway...is that a deal breaker? Do I need to start over or just move on? I didn't eat anything off plan, just the quantities were off, really! Feeling a bit weird about it.

Have started this morning well with a spinach, tomato and mushroom omelette & coconut milk coffee. My hubby is loving that coffee, he wants to keep on with it after we're finished! I'm just waiting for this headache to go, and it it just me or are some of you getting hot flashes every so often and just quietly aching all over?

Anyway, thanks for letting me vent some concerns! Hope everyone has a great day :D

I think you are allowed another portion of food if you are still hungry - it says somewhere you may have to work on portion sizes until you are eating enough and not getting hungry! Do not feel guilty for eating real food!

I'm with you on the hot flashes!! I thought it was just me. :unsure:

Hi everybody -- I'm Toni from Omaha Nebraska.  I too started the Whole30 on January 6th.  I think I'll do okay if I can just find the time to prepare 3 meals a day.  I haven't written out a menu for the week, so that's part of the problem.

I just turned 65, work full-time, have 2 grown daughters and 5 grandkids.  I am in pretty good health.  I've been going to a chiropractor for over a year now and she is who got me aware of the paleo diet.  Doing some hunting on the internet led me to Whole9.  I think most of my health problems are due to being about 35 pounds overweight, but I've always had poor memory and general brain fog, as well as chronic fatigue.  I'm excited to think that I might really feel better!

It's great knowing there are lots of others who are on this journey with me.

Little unsure how to do the pre/post WO meals with a light workout around a real meal?!

I have the same sort of confusion...my workout is an hour and ends at 7:15 pm and I go right home (5 mins) to make dinner, so that extra eating seems...unnecessary.

Can anyone chime in- are pre/post W/O meals necessary and how do you manage them when they bump into an actual meal?

Got through another day, like some others here, I am starting simple, but will soon have to get creative so I don't get bored

Had cod fish, turnip and cauliflower for supper, then some avocado for fat and topped it off with some raspberries and green mint tea.

Early this morning was light headed. still a bit tired and some brain fog but that is mostly normal for me

I finished reading It Starts with Food, great reference from now on!

Take care all

I think you are allowed another portion of food if you are still hungry - it says somewhere you may have to work on portion sizes until you are eating enough and not getting hungry! Do not feel guilty for eating real food!

Agreed. Do make sure you check in and make sure you really are still hungry and not just wanting more food. The 2-3 handfulls of cashews is more concerning than the extra serving of dinner but again not a reason to reset. You might want to look back at the rest of your day as well and see if there are adjustments you can make to your other meals.

But yes, do not feel guilty for real food! 

WOD will be a few minutes of planks, some pushups & a few turkish getups, so may just do this after dinner since will be maybe 15 minutes total time.  Little unsure how to do the pre/post WO meals with a light workout around a real meal?!

{edited to add: I'm not a crossfitter.  I practice krav maga & we do a stong first kettlebell weight training thing that I also do at home.}

I have the same sort of confusion...my workout is an hour and ends at 7:15 pm and I go right home (5 mins) to make dinner, so that extra eating seems...unnecessary.

Can anyone chime in- are pre/post W/O meals necessary and how do you manage them when they bump into an actual meal?

Another moderator may chime in with more. I'll openly admit the pre/post wo food was something I struggled with during my W30. The pre workout food is really important if your workout is early morning as we want you to eat something within an hour of waking. I think with a light workout it isn't as important to eat a post workout meal but the idea of the post workout is to give your body recovery food that digests quickly to aid with muscle recovery and glycogen replenishment. What I've seen suggested for a workout that is right before a meal is within 30 minutes eat starchy carbs and lean protein (no fat) and it doesn't need to be a lot just enough to help your body start recovering and then eat your regular meal maybe 30-60 minutes later. 

Hi all! I'm planning on starting my second Whole30 on Sunday the 5th. Finished one last year in July, and fell into bad habits, but am looking forward to starting out the year with better food choices. I've stocked the fridge with root veggies that will last through next week (went to an awesome market in Atlanta that I can't get to very often but that has an amazing selection of produce), and will make a run on Sunday for filler veggies.

About me: 32, married but my husband is living in another state for work so I live alone with 2 cats, work as editorial assistant for a medical journal. 

I challenged my husband to pick a strange veggie at the market today, and he chose a daikon radish. Anyone used one of these before? I'm thinking of making fritters with it. (I chose artichokes because I've never cooked them before.)

I recently got a daikon radish in a CSA box. I shredded it & added it to a salad. Pinterest is full of ideas if you try new veggies!!

Thanks! Good to know I'm not alone with the hot flashes :)

It was the cashews that were guilting me the most! I was hungry so I thought about it & had the first handful, my son (8) decided he wanted some too. A bit later he asked if he could have some more, and I said yes. He came back to me with the container and told me he'd bought them over so we could share them! That's when I had some more! I think the guilt comes from the fact that I was eating mindfully enough to know that cashews were on plan but succumbed to temptation to have too many!

Haha, I can cope with pushy ppl who say just a little won't hurt, but I'm going to have to keep a watch on myself around my considerate son, lol ;P Thanks, very reassuring to know I don't need to start again! Will just have to keep working on my emotional triggers, which is part of the point of the whole plan for me, so it's all good!

Hi Everyone!    Day 2 has been successful so far.    Had some Shrimp and Avocado as my pre-workout (I'm up at 5:20 am) but we had to run as our warm up in CF today which didn't sit well at first, but I powered through.  Hard Boiled Egg, Tomatoes and a lil Olive Oil as my post-workout snack.   Meal 1: Chicken, Spinach, Avocado and leftover Egg Frittata Muffin.     Meal 2: Leftover Grass Fed Beef, Sugar Free Marinara sauce, Spaghetti Squash, Green Peppers, 1/2 Grapefruit and a handful of almonds.    Meal 3: Having grass-fed sirloin stir fry with coconut aminos, Avocado and Tomato salad.     Had a work meeting where they had cookies, pretzels and lots of other snacks, but because of my first two meals I was fine with just water.     I had a chocolate chip cooke addiction, but after reading ISWF I'm realizing the difference between Hunger and Craving.     Keep up the great work everyone! 

So far day 2 has been as expected. I have had a major headache all day, I guess that's the "hang over" phase, right? I am eating way less than usual, but eating when I'm hungry.  And it's weird, because I usually get hungry gradually. However, the last two days, the hunger strikes suddenly and it's a "feed me now" hunger. 

I made a huge batch of chicken last night and I've been eating that all day. I want to finish up the veggies in my fridge before going for more. So I'll be eating chicken with zucchini, cauliflower and avocado for dinner. yum! I'm not much of a meal planner, more fly by the seat of my pants.

I eat just about everywhere, so everything feels like a trigger for me. However, today I took my ds for a happy meal and I got water. The world didn't come crashing down... imagine that. (It was less tempting to take him to drive thru than make him a lunch.)

Two days down. 28 to go. I'm taking it one day, one meal at a time. 

I had a killer "migraine" this am. Plus a sick child. So I went in to work a little late. Because of the sick kid or the whole30 I felt nauseous all day. I had a severe soda and sweet addiction. And I've gone cold turkey on the caffeine. So my body is screaming at me. However, I am so happy to be on round 2. I got the nom nom paleo cookbook for the iPad. Looking forward to more complex meals later on. Reheating is all I want to do this week. And thaw out. Colder in Atlanta than in Alaska. Has the world gone mad? ;)

Hey fellow J6-ers.  Woke up this am with a head ache and funny stomach. Didn't know what was going on until I read my Day 2 email! Good thing I did because I was prepared when "kill all things" started creeping into my life after 10 hrs of work.  Food has been good- glad I cooked so much this weekend and could grab and go. Find I need to snack mid morning as I eat breakfast at 5:15 and am never sure when I will get lunch. ( work in an operating room).  Anyway, keep up the good work everyone!

(sigh)  Today felt like a long... like, really long day.  Maybe it was the 2.5 hour commute to work this morning on the sheet of black ice that started me off feeling less than enthused.  I got through it though and tonight, when I started feeling like this was going to be the longest 30 days of my life, I said to myself, "Self, knock it off.  Be proud of yourself and celebrate how well you did today!"  Ok, now I feel better :)

I'm definitely feeling my way through portions and what does and doesn't work.  I think I need to eat more for breakfast, then eat lunch a little later because on my commute home tonight I about ate my steering wheel, which on black ice could really get messy.  I've also learned that, as much as I want to like butternut squash soup, it's not my fave.  I made such a yummy batch of it the other night, but the texture puts me off, so there goest that Paleo recipe in the bin.  I'm also finding that I'm crazy thirsty all the time.  I guess that's not a bad thing, but man, it's starting to feel like I should just move my desk into the Ladies room.

Alright J6'ers, that's my thinking out loud for tonight.... Loved reading everyone's posts today, it's such great encouragement.  Keep it up everyone!  

Had a good day 2 but I did have a question! After dinner I was still hungry ...

My 2 cents ... veggies, veggies and more veggies.  I walk away from my breakfast and lunch muttering, "cannot eat anymore broccoli, cannot eat anymore carrots, cannot eat anymore cauliflower..."  Recommended:  1 - 3 cups of vegetables PER MEAL.  That is up to 9 cups of vegetables per day.  Over Whole 30, that is 270 cups of vegetables.  Plus recommended protein and fat PER MEAL, together with all you can drink water and tea.  By dinner, I am feeling comfortable ready to eat and then a hunk of meat, some good fat, and MORE MORE MORE VEGGIES!  :)   

Never done blogs before, and have just found this! And how to find how to enter! Not bad for someone in their 70s. Yay!

I have just started, Day 3 begins today. In the past I've done the no sugar, no grains, organic, pastured, free range- and it made such a difference, even to being classed as non-diabetic for over 9 years. Slipped out of it a bit especially since finding I was really gluten-intolerant! All those GF bars in handbag, for emergencies! Found a GF bread that was rather nice, so began to have those two small slices with real butter with my two eggs for brekkie! And the occasional sandwich, grilled with double cheese in a press! Seduced by GF foods!

Recently during a blood test, my sugar levels were up after all those years!. Shock! Horror!

I started to do the usual best things, dropping most GF stuff, started back with hydrotherapy, more activity etc. The levels have come down a bit but nowhere enough! Sugar can so so much damage! Then I stumbled on this website! An answer to prayer!

Pantry and fridge almost cleaned out! Have son at home who said 'Not for me!' when I mentioned what I was doing! But he will get what I cook as always (hehe) and has said when he cooks brekkie, no grated cheese in my 2 eggs! Not sure how we'll go about with the tiny bit of butter in the frying pan? Does that mean I have to start over even if all the other boxes are ticked! Or do I have to cook mine separately forever? He likes coconut oil with stir fries etc, so that is great! I have been weaning him onto a more adventurous food list, but he (age 42) has his pasta, icecream, and white bread and peanut butter favourites!

I'm missing raw milk in tea and real cream in coffee! (I only have 1 coffee a day usually, and tea only occasionally except in summer, which it is now here in Australia!)

I'm glad I dumped all those GF goodies from pantry, fridge, freezer... Coz I'm missing them and they are not within reach!

Ok, now to look at and inwardly digest Day 3 . Woo-hoo! My body WILL heal!

Thanks for listening! Joan

Archived