January 6 - Day 1

Robert2014

It is frustrating to think that we have to look so hard to find "clean" food, with no crap in it! Not even easy to find things with no sugar. What a world.

Isn't that ridiculous? And the fact that when you buy canned or processed stuff  you usually have to pay more for items with less in them. I'll never understand that.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HI all!

I am a first timer who also started on Jan 6th, the day the kids went back to school.  Sorry, it took me so long to post.  I spent all day yesterday reading your previous posts.  I am already grateful for such a great group.  

I am a stay-at-home mom who has a sugar addiction and I get headaches all the time.  I'm hoping the Whole 30 can help identify some of my triggers as well as reset my taste buds and of course, losing some weight would be great.  I have a really hard time losing weight.

So far, things have been good.  I've had the headaches, a little nausea, and fatigue, so it's good to be in good company on all those. 

I've tried the Chocolate Chili, which was good.  Sweet potato hash with fried eggs for breakfast is my favorite so far.  The hash is a great way to get in your veggies for breakfast.  Tonight, I've got carnitas in the crock pot.  

Marcea

OK, so technically it does call for a restart when you ingest sulphites.  You can handle it in the following ways:

- Assuming you started on Jan 6th, you're now on day 3.  You could do a Whole33 instead.

- Delay reintroing sulphites for 30 days, so you have 30 consecutive days of no sulphites 

I apologize for misspeaking this earlier in the thread. I went back and fixed my error. 

Happy Day 4 to everybody! It's weird, because I am a chronic depressive on 2 different meds, and yet I'm feeling so UP! This whole thing is very empowering for me, because I am a huge sugar junkie -- or basically just a huge food junkie (healthy or junk, it went into my mouth). Actual hunger had absolutely nothing to do with it. Recently we hired a new worker, and when I ate lunch with her before starting Whole30 I was so amazed because she would leave food on her plate! She actually stopped eating when she was full. OMG -- what a concept. It had been a long time since I really knew what feeling full or feeling hungry was all about. I have a real touchy gut and bowels, with a lot of GERD, and for years I'd keep eating to fill up my stomach and make it stop hurting. That never worked, but still that's what I'd do. Since being on Whole30, my stomach hasn't really hurt and I'm able to go hours between meals with no snacks! That's truly amazing for me. This morning I realized I had forgotten to take my usual Protonix (a stomach pill sort of like Nexium) and instead of my usual panic, I thought "Gosh, maybe my stomach will be fine without it!" And so far it is. Sending positive vibes out to everyone!

Just checking in on Day 4. Had a little nausea during my workout yesterday afternoon, but realized later that it was due to a poorly time supplement. I suspect today will go better. To those of you who aren't experiencing as many of the symptoms, you just may not experience them. I didn't seem to follow the schedule of the symptoms, or even get most of them. Sadly, I didn't experience the "Tiger Blood" either, which was kind of a bummer...but I also didn't experience as many of the lows. I was kind of even keel the whole way through...so I guess that's something. So far, I seem to be following the same program.

Hang in there, kids...all's well that ends well. :)

Woke up with no energy today.  Could have slept another several hours.  Didn't really feel much better after breakfast which was 2 eggs, a banana and a handful of cashews.  Feel much better this afternoon since lunch.  The crankiness and irritability seems to be better today.  My sweet son helped by teaching his sister math today so I didn't have to : )  I'm sure that helped the irritability too!  God bless him!

Hey Toni - I suffer(ed) from depression as well...and what I've learned from my previous Whole30 experience, and this 2nd one, is that FOOD is a MAJOR CONTRIBUTOR to your depression. Particularly "white carbs" and "sugars". When I reintroduce those items, they feed off of each other and I ping pong back & forth between starches & sugars, until I'm almost addicted to them. The more I eat, the more I want, the more anxious, irritable, mood-swingy, sensitive, etc. I get. When you start clearing that crap out of your system, you start to feel LIGHTER...more relaxed, more content, less easily perturbed. So, I totally understand what you're talking about. I am convinced that that food is poison...more so for some people (those who are sensitive to anxiety & depression disorders).

So, YAY for you feeling better!!

I found a cool site called “Food for the Brain†that offers this simple explanation:

Eating lots of sugar is going to give you sudden peaks and troughs in the amount of glucose in your blood; symptoms that this is going on include fatigue, irritability, dizziness, insomnia, excessive sweating (especially at night), poor concentration and forgetfulness, excessive thirst, depression and crying spells, digestive disturbances and blurred vision. Since the brain depends on an even supply of glucose it is no surprise to find that sugar has been implicated in aggressive behavior,
, and depression, and fatigue.

Lots of refined sugar and refined carbohydrates (meaning white bread, pasta, rice and most processed foods,) is also linked with depression because these foods not only supply very little in the way of nutrients but they also use up the mood enhancing B vitamins; turning each teaspoon of sugar into energy needs B vitamins. In fact, a study of 3,456 middle-aged civil servants, published in British Journal of Psychiatry found that those who had a diet which contained a lot of processed foods had a 58% increased risk for depression, whereas those whose diet could be described as containing more whole foods had a 26% reduced risk for depression.

Sugar also diverts the supply of another nutrient involved in mood – chromium. This mineral is vital for keeping your blood sugar level stable because insulin, which clears glucose from the blood, can't work properly without it.

Woke up with no energy today.  Could have slept another several hours.  Didn't really feel much better after breakfast which was 2 eggs, a banana and a handful of cashews.  Feel much better this afternoon since lunch.  The crankiness and irritability seems to be better today.  My sweet son helped by teaching his sister math today so I didn't have to : )  I'm sure that helped the irritability too!  God bless him!

Please try to eat vegetables at your first meal. There have been a lot of suggestions in this thread on how to add them in. A lot of people have also found that eating fruit at their first meal as a negative impact on their energy and ability to stay full until meal 2. Your mileage may vary. 

That was super sweet of your son. :)

Checking in for Day 4! I'm so glad we're all still here.

I'm happy to report that today is MUCH better than yesterday. I've still got a bit of a short fuse, but I'm generally in a much better mood. I still feel lethargic, but I sort of feel like a fog is lifting from my brain. I just feel much ... clearer. It's awesome. I have had a pretty bad headache that comes and goes, but nothing persistent.

I'm one of the ones struggling with breakfast. I did well today, though! Had my scrambled eggs with onions, peppers, and spinach. It wasn't nearly as hard to get down as my previous days' breakfasts. The more days go by, the more I realize how important it is for me to forgo fruit in the mornings. I have a seriously fierce sugar dragon.

With the day I had yesterday, it was so important that I made something GOOD for dinner last night. Something that tasted good that I would have eaten pre-W30. So, I made shrimp (I'm from New Orleans, so I love any and all things seafood). I sauteed them in a bit of olive oil and ghee along with garlic, salt/pepper, Cajun seasoning (clean, of course), and finished with fresh parsley and lemon juice. It was THE BOMB. I really enjoyed it.

Tomorrow, I'm going to make steaks for dinner, so I'm really looking forward to that! There's no reason I can't do right by my body while also enjoying the food I eat ... I'm learning that.

My goal for this weekend will be to find recipes that are veggie heavy that I can cook ahead and eat either as a side or a meal (like soups and stews).

I'm also going to spinning tonight for the first time since starting W30. The instructor on Thursdays is tough, so I'm hoping I don't have any issues!

Loving all the updates ... reading throughout the day really keeps me motivated. Cheers, y'all!

Quick vent: WHY is it SO EFFING HARD to find REAL food without sugar added at the grocery store?!?!?! UGH!!!!

Sadly most of most grocery stores are 95% filled with food like substances not food. Shop the perimeter first and foremost (produce and meat) and go down the isles only for things like spices, oils, etc. I understand your frustration though having spent a lot of time picking up every jar of tomato sauce or nut butter or whatever looking for a compliant one. Eventually you will learn which brands work and which don't. On that though I would say always check the label on even your go to brands as sometimes they change.

Hi everyone, I started my Whole30 on the 6th but am only just getting around to this forum.  I had a bad head on the first day but I have been fine since although a little more tired but feel good otherwise.

My daughter and I are doing this together as she suffers from depression and I am carer for my son who is profoundly Autistic and doesn't sleep much.  I need more energy and a friend recommended this.

Great reading everyones experiences.

Karen 

I just got some ghee for the first time. I'm scared. What do you guys use it for other than as a butter for sauteeing?

On top of: string beans, sweet potato and other vegetables.

In recipes that call for butter.

Blended with coconut oil in my coffee.

If ghee is the same as whipped cooking butter, which I got at the store, I tried putting it on my vegetables but didn't like the taste. I just use it for frying.

I made mayo and can't believe how good it is, almost used bottled lemon juice before I saw it contained sulfites, so I used vinegar.

Day 4 was ok, had a few moments where I could have eaten some comfort food, as has been my habit when feeling frustrated , but just hung in there reminding myself that I was not hungery

One day at time

Good wishes to all

​What a difference a day makes! That, a good workout and 9 hrs of sleep have help helped me feel  much better. Hope the tired/ cranky feeling is gone for good!  The crazy food dreams have started. On my last W30 it was always about eating cake, last night a half a bag of M&M's chowed down before I realized my mistake.  I always wake up thinking I really did eat the offending food, but once fully awake realize it was a dream.  I am starting to find these crazy dreams very amusing.  Anyone else having these dreams yet?  Keep up the good work J6-ers!

I'm looking at a recipe in the nom nom paleo ipad app, and wondering if I will be easily able to find prosciutto di parma that is compliant at Trader Joes? I'm not totally sure whether that can be compliant at all. I'm pretty food ignorant. Learning.

If ghee is the same as whipped cooking butter, which I got at the store, I tried putting it on my vegetables but didn't like the taste. I just use it for frying.

What is whipped cooking butter? It doesn't sound like it is the same thing as ghee. Ghee is clarified butter - butter with the milk solids removed.

I'm looking at a recipe in the nom nom paleo ipad app, and wondering if I will be easily able to find prosciutto di parma that is compliant at Trader Joes? I'm not totally sure whether that can be compliant at all. I'm pretty food ignorant. Learning.

Worth checking. Both my local Trader Joe's and grocery store sell compliant prosciutto: just pork and salt.

Well looks like I'll be a 33-dayer, too!! My husband has been on board with Whole 30 and even let me throw the Oreos out, but last night he was just going to die if he didn't get some pasta. I don't love pesto (the sauce he wanted), so I knew I'd be fine cook it...plus I haven't really craved bad carbs at all. I'm just minding my own business, cooking our compliant dinner plus his noodles, and then I, almost totally involuntarily, scoop out a noodle and pop it in my mouth to check for tenderness. Literally chewed and swallowed before I knew it happened! Total habit!! I was so embarrassed and upset! Looks like 33 it is! And no more pasta for him!

Happy Day 4!

Hi Nicole,

I just tried the Well Fed recipe for zucchini noodles & they were delicious!  Try this recipe out instead of pasta…totally filled the bill for me!  I used a red sauce to mix with the "noodles"…even my teen-aged son thought they were good!  Now, if I had only made some meatballs to go along with the "noodles"…. :)  (You will need a julienne slicer, though, to slice the zucchini in slender strips.)

All the best to you,

Catherine 

It is just so frustrating to not be able to buy what you want because it has sugar or soybean oil or corn this or that or peanut oil or nitrates or blah blah blah. *sigh* On a side note, I think the "Kill All Things" phase has officially hit. And the fatigue plus headache returned with a vengeance today.

I have to brag about my dinner. Mostly because it was not the sort of thing I would have seen myself enjoying two years ago, before I started eating paleo.

I made salmon patties from Practical Paleo, and broccoli seasoned with ghee and a savory salt (savory salt also from PP), and because that wasn't enough veg, I stirfried some sweet potato and onion.

The broccoli and ghee surprised me. I think I used too much ghee--doesn't take much--but it was so rich and delicious. And the salmon patties! SO MUCH BETTER than the ones from my childhood! Or maybe I just had crappy ones in my childhood. Or maybe I was just a child with rotten tastes. Whatever the reason, I'm glad I tried these. I will definitely be making them again.

Archived