Awesome 2014!

1Maryann

I came to the conclusion that I'm not really doing a Whole30 right now and I don't think I really need to.  I've been riding my bike since May, and with the exception of 1 egg roll and some eggs (which I react to), I'm doing pretty good.  I'm down 33 pounds since the start of my first Whole30 a year and a half ago, I feel so much better, I'm in size 10 pants (and even those are a little loose), and I don't have cravings for anything anymore that my body can't tolerate, really.  So, I'm out.  But I'll be supporting you from the sidelines, though, and reminding you that if you do enough of these, eventually, you'll stop craving all the stuff that makes you feel blah!  

Good luck!

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Karen, that's awesome!  Someday I hope to be where you are.

Oh Justine!  That wasn't what I wanted to hear, but I can deal with it.  LOL  I really have to vote a bunch of stuff off my island permanently.  But I like dark chocolate and potato chips.  I bought some ghee for the first time ever.  I have always made my own.  I don't think it's as clean as I would like.  Every time I use it, I suffer a bout of gas and bloating.  (TMI, sorry)  I don't think they got all the milk solids out.  I never have trouble with the homemade.  So much for saving a little time in the kitchen.

Hey ladies!

I haven't said anything over the last week but I am on day 11 I think. Last week was weird... I have been eating paleo plus some dairy for a while. I didn't realize how addicting and pacifying dairy really is until I removed it this time. I feel like I ate so much last week!! I wasn't really watching portions, but was definitely eating too much. I feel very bloated lately and up until today have had some cravings for sugar.

My intent with this whole 30 is to remove pasteurized dairy for good. My prior whole 30/60's:) have helped me remove grains and processed sugar for I hope good. Now it's time for dairy. I haven't been on a scale in almost 6 months because the focus on numbers is not healthy for me, but I am definitely hoping to feel some extra room in my jeans:). I started cross fit 3 months ago very regularly and the muscle gain has made me feel bigger. I love that I am gaining muscle and am getting stronger, but I would like to loose the bloat I feel.

My moods seem very unstable and for the first week my sleep was terrible!!! The past two days are a little better. My cook-a-thon today was helpful to get me ready for the second half of week two. I am back to over purchasing food like the food hoarder that I am....I absolutely love to grocery shop and cook!! I know it might sound silly but I really do love it !

We'll...here's to a great week everyone! I am hoping for a good energy to approach and push me in a great direction this week.

Night all!

hi all! checking in here

I'm doing ok. I've had a rough couple days, Friday and yesterday I worked and it was SO busy (it really has been insane for us) but I had my food with me and that was fine. there is lots of leftover candy/etc from the holiday but it doesn't really bother me. I got home last night and just could not deal or cook so ended up just scrambling some eggs. no veg but at least nothing close to my old "stop and pick something up" attitude.

today was my 13th wedding anniversary (which I TOTALLY forgot about until yesterday! OOPS!). my husband slept all day yesterday and that's pretty normal since he just came off 4 night shifts in a row, but said he wasn't feeling well. he looked like shit this morning so I talked him into going to my hospital for what I thought would be a quick flu swab and maybe some pain meds so I didn't eat before we went (getting him in the car was almost impossible and gathering up the kids was nearly as bad). he ended up getting a full workup and almost admitted to the hospital. the only reason the doc let us go is because we are both nurses and he thinks Troy will come back if he's feeling worse. which he probably won't. he even thinks he might go to work tomorrow! but, seriously, that's not happening. he has a pretty severe right lobe pneumonia and really his labs show him bordering on sepsis. if any of you know his WBC was 27.4 (normal is 4-10) and his lactic acid was 3.5 (normal is below 2). both of those things combined with the fact that his O2 saturation was low, his blood pressure was low, and his heart rate was about 120...sigh. my food wasn't great today but I made the best choices I could with what was available, and I'm thankful for that. and I'm always thankful that tomorrow is another day.

I have the next 4 days off and I see my future filled with some good healthy cooking. I'm so happy to be on here, I am really needing the support to keep going right now. having the kindness and encouragement that I get from this group makes me able to continue on this journey!

Wow, Jess, you sure do have a lot on your plate.  Here's wishing Troy gets better soon.  Pneumonia is no fun.  It took me ages to get over it.  Hope he feels so tired he just stays in bed for a few days.  He's nuts if he thinks he can go to work.  What he DOESN'T need is more exposure to the flu while his lungs are compromised.

I'm having a Well Fed fest.  Cooking while doing housework.  That's when her long-simmering recipes come in handy.  This afternoon I made a batch of Chocolate Chili.  Now I have a pot of Citrus Carnitas bubbling away.  Once I get the dogs fed, I'll have time to make Bora Bora Fireballs and Confetti Rice before the carnitas are ready.  This evening I'll be roasting sweet potatoes, broccoli and carrots if I don't run out of steam.  Then, I'll be set for the week.  The sauteed beef and cabbage for breakfasts is already made.

I had tuna collard wraps for lunch, but didn't eat enough.  Just used up the last of the collards and tuna salad.  So I was hungry all afternoon.  When the chili came off the stove at 3, I had to have a small bowl.  Now I'm set until the carnitas are done.  The Fireballs will be lunch all week.  No fuss, easy to reheat.

Maryann that does sound delicious! I cooked all day Saturday... My roommates think I've gone nuts haha

Okay I didn't expect to have crazy dreams but last night I had one about eating dinner rolls.... They were delicious in the dream!

I ran out of steam long before I got done.  It took a lot longer to prep the Fireballs than I estimated. So I didn't roast any vegetables, and I never made the Confetti Rice.  Actually, not making the rice wasn't bad.  I was going to have it with the carnitas, but zapped a sweet potato instead.  That may have actually been the better choice, as the sweet of the potato was a nice counterpoint to the tangy spice of the carnitas.

That was the first time I ever made her carnitas, and they are the best I've ever had.  Most recipes are too fussy for me, what with having to use a pan that can go in the oven.  My cast irons are not big enough to hold all the meat, so I wind up needing two.  Being able to do the whole recipe in one pot on the stove was much easier, and I loved the flavor!

I also never made the Fireballs before.  When I took them out of the oven, I was a little disappointed.  They didn't look like much and the first bite was kind of mild, if a little sweet.  But then the heat started coming on.  This is definitely a dish you would warn someone who didn't like spicy food about.  They start out like a Polynesian meatball, but the effects of the cayenne and jalapeno are cumulative.

Well, I was coming on to rant about how stressful the past two days have been for me, but then I read Jess's post, and now I'm ashamed of myself.   :(   Sending hopeful thoughts your way, Jess.  I hope your husband is doing better.

Maryann, everything you just cooked up = my Well Fed favorites!  I do love those carnitas!  The chocolate chili is practically a staple in our house.  I've only made the fireballs once, and I really liked them, but others in the household pronounced them too sweet.  So, I haven't make them since, but it happens that one of my "resolutions" for the new year is to make more food I really like.  And since I'm the only cook, I guess they'll eat it or starve!   :P

Today is Day 9 for me.  I white-knuckled my way through Days 7 & 8, but I'm glad to say I managed not to slip.  I really, really wanted to, but I didn't.  On a lesser order than Jess, I have also been having a few days of heightened stress and drama.  I have only recently recognized that eating is my way of coping with anxiety, and, having finally seen that, I was better able to resist the impulse when it appeared.  (...I used to feel so superior to people in my extended family whose anxiety issues led to drug use, but guess what?  Food can be a drug.  And the proof of my abusing it is hanging around my middle.  So, get off your high horse, "Super Nan.")

Trying to get back my equilibrium and not blow it in the meantime.  Thanks for letting me vent that.

Today should be Day 10, but in fact I am back to Day 1.  I succumbed to pressure in a social situation, fueled by the stress of the past several days, but I own that.  No one put the glass of wine in my hand.  Well.... actually they did, but I'm the one who drank it.  And I'm also the one who nibbled on the dessert, even after managing not to slip through an entire meal.

It wasn't a huge indulgence, but we all know it means starting over.  The surprising thing is how bad (as in sick) I feel today, the morning after.  Wow!  (FYI, black coffee, scrambled eggs and roasted sweet potato are good medicine.)  I will remember this the next time I find myself lacking the fortitude to say no.

So, I have a turkey and several sweet potatoes roasting in the oven.  I plan to marinate some chicken thighs, slice up a batch of onions and peppers for sauteeing, and wash/cut vegetables for salad.  

How is everyone else doing?

I'm still here!  Been dealing with some illness around here.  I can't say that I feel well, but I can say that eating Whole30 keeps me from having all kinds of other stuff in addition to/on top of being sick.  I would like a break from the cycle of colds/sinus stuff, so I'm thinking I'll try some oil of oregano.  Here's hoping!

hi all! sorry I haven't been on here, it's been a bit crazy, and, honestly, I haven't been compliant, so haven't felt that it's my place, but tomorrow is a new day. a new day 1. I haven't gone TOO TOO crazy or off the deep end, but I am certain over the past couple days of eating out I've consumed some nasty stuff since I literally am having a problem getting into any of my clothes and my face feels so swollen! I feel awful! but I still haven't been able to get to the grocery store, today was the first time I was able to get away to exercise. OH MY GOD I WAS IN HEAVEN! there is NOTHING like getting to my box. seriously. it is such a huge stress reliever, and I know that I have been seriously using food for stress these past few days. I am so happy because I feel that the worst of this sickness is over!

Troy came home on Sunday night after a couple bags of fluids and some IV antibiotics and on Monday I thought he looked worse, he was having problems breathing, and his temperature went up, so I brought him back into the hospital (the one closer to my house, not the one I work at) and we talked to the doctor a while about his plan. he didn't want to admit Troy because what he really needed was sleep and antibiotics and he said he wouldn't get any sleep in the hospital. so back home we went. he literally did not get up yesterday at all, I had to keep checking on him because I was so worried he was dead! but he wasn't. and then my oldest got a SLIGHT fever (100.1) in the AM. nothing I even give tylenol for, but she said her throat hurt, and with everything else I let her stay home. I know she wasn't feeling great because she never asked to go outside or go to gymnastics.

they are both better today, Indie was back at school (which is good because I had to teach art to her class today) and Troy actually got up and took a shower. he's been awake most of the day. he works tomorrow night and he swears he's going in. he has 5 days off after that so I am trying to allow him to judge how he is feeling. based on how he is acting today I think he would be ok for 1 night.

SO, like I said, I've been having a hard time with food. I left the house once yesterday to pick up soup for the family and looking back I know it had MSG or some other nasty in it (Pho). and I ate some pretzels I've not had in over a year (stress. stupid.) I am doing my best not to beat myself up and reminding myself that I'm just wasting time and energy on that rather than looking forward. I have two recipes to buy groceries for tomorrow - easy things I'm going to make and eat over the next 5 days or so. then I can do the same again in 5 days. I have a problem of not having a plan - I get to the grocery store and buy a bunch of stuff but nothing that's specific for a recipe or meal, then it goes to waste. I bought a spiral-er (?) and plan on making some zucchini noodles and sweet potato noodles. I also have my ground beef and cabbage that I can make a lot of, and finally a great kale/sausage soup.

I am so at the end of my rope being cooped up in this house. I'm looking forward to going to work on Friday and Sunday. holy crap. that's horrible.

thanks guys for being there. I know tough love is good sometimes, but I think I will go mental with it right now, so send me some soft love, ok? day 1 (again) tomorrow

Jess, I've been wondering how you're doing.  It sounds like you've been doing great.  I know you're not happy with a few of your food choices, but I think you did great. :wub:   I'm so glad your husband is improving.  Sending lots of hugs, love, and light your way.

FINALLY got to the grocery store today - we have two whole foods that are almost the same distance from our house, I always go to one, today I was closer to the other, so I went to it - they have a Paleo hot food bar! I was SO HAPPY! I got a little of what they had to try (they had 8 different hot dishes, three salads) and what I had was great! they had a tabouli salad with cauliflower - yum!!

I got home, got to crossfit, and then started cooking at around 5:30 - got a great pot of spaghetti sauce, kale and sausage soup, and cabbage and beef. I also got a "spiral" cutter - I ordered from Amazon and it got here yesterday, so today I bought some sweet potatoes and zucchini. I am super excited to try it out! I really liked the way zoodles tasted but I'm not good at making them, so hopefully this will help, also wanted to try the sweet potatoes that way!

SO, I'm feeling better today. Troy went back to work tonight and I'm anxious about whether or not it will put him back. I'll keep you all updated...

You're doing great, Jess.  And even when you slip up, you learn something for next time.  Remember, you haven't failed until you stop trying.

I have a foodie friend who is horrified at the way I eat.  Now that I eat for nutrition and to fuel my body, I eat combinations I would never have touched, or even thought of in my previous world.  So this morning I smiled through my breakfast, picturing the look on the friend's face if she could see me eating, not a Grand Marnier French Toast with a side of smoked salmon, but a bowl of chocolate chili with roasted broccoli and sweet potato chunks, and a handful of sliced black olives thrown in for fat.  "Slop in a Bowl" is how she describes many of my meals, but I'm telling you, it hit the spot, it contained all the nutrient I needed, and the roasted sweet potato is a nice counterpoint to the spice of the chocolate chili (I add hot sauce to mine because I like spicier chili).

OMG, I could slap myself!!

I just wrote a post trying to remember everyone and accidently wiped it out.  ugh.

Oh well.  Here goes again...

Hi Everyone! 

Day 19 for me today.

Haven't been writing much but I read every post as soon as they come in.  You all inspire me so much!

Karen, if you're reading this, bravo!  I want to be like you when I grow up.  LOL!  It's a journey, isn't it.  Some days for me it's just easy does it.  But I'm finding that righ now its a very slow and steady climb.  I like that.

Maryann, you sound great too!  I am like you in that I often eat a big bowl of leftover whatevers for breakfast with a big side of veggies.  um!  Your friend doesn't know what she's missing!!

Justine, Jess & Nan, so glad you're still here and hanging in there.  It sounds like everyone is finding their footing and that is so important!

Amy, I hope you're feeling better!  Oregano OIl is great stuff.  I also you Colloidial Silver.  It's a natural antibiotic and it works wonders.  Here's a few link of some higher quality stuff.

http://www.purestcolloids.com/mesosilver.php?utm_source=searchalliance&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=Silver+Facts&utm_campaign=Silver+Facts&partner=11&stat_campaign=SA-SilverFacts-Search&stat_keyword=silver%2520colloidal

http://www.helpingamerica.com/

I'm at work and short on time.  Will try to respond more later.

Hugs,

Linda!

Jess, you are amazing.  And inspiring.  I am glad your husband is showing improvement.  Can I give you a hint about the zoodles?  I used to overcook them, and they turned out mushy.  Michelle Tam (Nom Nom Paleo) advises bringing a pot of water to a boil and then dumping in the zoodles just before serving.  They cook just enough, but are still firm and "slurpy."  If you already knew that, thanks anyway for letting me share.  I was very happy to learn that technique.

I know by the rules of the program, one bad bite = fail!  Start all over!  And some of us have done so.  But get real!  We stuck perfectly to a program for several days, strayed briefly and slightly, and went right back on track.  By any lesser measure, that is doing great!  And even though I fell short of perfection, I own it, I know I can do better, and my body is still thanking me.

Today is "Day I don't know; I'm not counting."  I have done well.  No more cheats.  I learned my lesson, and I'm glad to be carrying on.

Archived