Awesome 2014!

1Maryann

Good to hear everyone is hanging in there, even if it's not perfect!

I did two things yesterday that I haven't done before:

1.  Whipped out my reciprocating saw to cut down lamb shanks so they fit in my slow cooker.  Who knew you could cut bone with that thing?

2.  Ruined two really good lamb shanks in the slow cooker.  :(  Still trying to figure that thing out and it came out really tough.  

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Phenomenal dinner tonight.  I made Nom Nom Paleo green chicken:  http://nomnompaleo.com/post/7486821187/my-sisters-phenomenal-grilled-green-chicken

I also made a big pot of wilted spinach with garlic mayo from the Well Fed2 cookbook.  The "dressing" was made of olive oil mayo, a clove of garlic, a tablespoon or so of dried chives and a small handful of fresh parsley, all blended together and just mixed in with the hot greens.  

Add some mashed cauliflower, and this dinner was perfect.  Thought I'd share.   :)

thanks everyone for the fantastic good vibes and love!

yes Melanie - let's kick this things arse! (btw I read your posts with an accent. they sound very cool that way.)

Nan - you too! let's DO this! :)

Maryann - your cook up sounds amazing! and, yes, I learned a lot. I remember struggling with feelings of stress and entitlement ("well, I'm exhausted/frustrated/annoyed/etc so I deserve ___") and I have to just go back to learning to sit with those feelings and not acting or reacting but simply feeling. feelings aren't facts. and they pass. and I need to remember how important my exercise is to me - it is such a huge stress reliever in terms of just physical movement, but also in my community there. AND - I didn't have ANY lara bars the whole time!

Karen - you are awesome! I love power tools! (but I don't really love lamb. ha!)

Amy - thanks for the love!!

Linda - oh how I've done that. frustrating.

sorry if I forgot to respond to anyone...lots of posts!

I had a great day yesterday, made a fantastic egg scramble with sausage, peppers, onion, and some salsa on top! like I said I found that I used to eat a huge breakfast and the thought of breakfast has been turning me off - but once I remembered I can eat a SMALL breakfast it started to sound good again. stupid silly? yeah. I brought a banana and almond butter to work for a small snack (no lara bar!) and some pork with bbq sauce and salad for lunch. I got my beef/cabbage when I got home. sitting at the end of the day is hard for me, too, just wanting SOMETHING even though I'm not hungry. what something? something sweet. of course.

I have today off and might bring the girls to see a movie, work again tomorrow, and then Monday off. I'm FINALLY starting to lose a bit of the bloat! I can't believe how long it hung on!

with all the talk about spiralized veggies I bought a spiralizer and found this link! enjoy!! http://www.inspiralized.com/

2014 has not been so awesome.. yet! Slowly getting back on track after two weeks of being sick...ugh! All of the meals I've cooked have been compliant but I had moments of weakness and gave into my whiny, sick inner brat. :(

I have http://nomnompaleo.com/post/4807547385/slow-cooker-roast-chicken-and-gravy in the slow cooker for dinner! I will not be defeated!

Good to hear everyone is hanging in there, even if it's not perfect!

I did two things yesterday that I haven't done before:

1.  Whipped out my reciprocating saw to cut down lamb shanks so they fit in my slow cooker.  Who knew you could cut bone with that thing?

2.  Ruined two really good lamb shanks in the slow cooker.   :(  Still trying to figure that thing out and it came out really tough.  

It might not be you, I just got rid of a slow cooker that was defective from the start. It cooked so hot that things would boil vigorously on the 'keep warm' setting. Now that I am using a different one, I love pot roast again!!

2014 has not been so awesome.. yet! Slowly getting back on track after two weeks of being sick...ugh! All of the meals I've cooked have been compliant but I had moments of weakness and gave into my whiny, sick inner brat. :(

I have http://nomnompaleo.com/post/4807547385/slow-cooker-roast-chicken-and-gravy in the slow cooker for dinner! I will not be defeated!

I am having that tonight too!!! I didn't have a whole bird so I am using a bunch of leg quarters. Fingers crossed...

Sounds like we are making good progress now and defeating the odds! I have had a good two days, eating lots of veg and exercising again. I have renewed focus now after having a look at Myfitnesspal. I am only a small person and I have carbohydrate sensitivity and caffeine sensitivity among other things which affect my appetite, and despite trying for a year to teach my body to eat according to hunger, it just hasn't worked and I have gained substantial weight following the low end of the template. I have gained huge health benefits and I am happy eating the whole9 way for life with an occasional blip but I am 8 kgs heavier and at the end of my clothes tolerance plus my body is sprouting cellulite so I know I genuinely am eating more than I need - its not just muscle or gaining healthy weight because I was too thin sadly.

Anyway, to get to the point, Myfitnesspal showed me what my base metabolic rate was based on my size and weight and sedentary work routine (desk job) and I was able to run a few scenarios to program in three healthy whole30 meals with the right balance of protein, veg and fat and then recalibrate the template volume for me. Just little things like I can hold 3-4 eggs in my hand but for my size 1-2 eggs is a more balanced amount... and I was cooking with fat as well as adding it but again for my size this was overkill so I am cutting back on either cooking fat or added fat depending on the meal. Keeping meat serves a bit smaller than one hand too - I have small fingers but a large palm it seems. I also need to make sure I exercise every day so I can increase my food intake to increase the range of nutrients... again something that a larger healthy person doesn't have to worry about so much as when they are walking around with an extra 20kg of muscle and bone or even fat, they are burning an extra 500 calories a day than me just living so three intense sessions a day are fine for their health but maybe not for me...

Anyway, just thought I would share what's been going on in my mind lately. I am conscious of the advice "don't overthink this" but I also want to respect the advice we are all an experiment of N=1 and I can no longer go back to old ways but the current way wasn't working fully for me either.

Wow, Justine, I didn't realize this was causing you such weight gain.  Glad you found myfitnesspal.  Hope scaling the template to your smaller frame makes the difference.

Jess, me too on the bloat.  That's why I wonder if I'm not causing it by yoyoing from W30 to SAD the way you stop losing weight from too many cycles of diet and feasting.

Sharon, I'm glad you're feeling better!

Need some ideas for something to bring to a pot luck for 25-30 people.  So far, everything listed on the sign-up is full of wheat, cheese and/or sugar.  I thought about the Bora Bora Fireballs, but I don't want to bring 50 lbs of them.  They are so good I can see lots of people mindlessly popping them so there aren't enough left for me to make a meal of, and nothing else I can eat.  On the other hand, there would probably be plenty for me if I bring a pot of ground beef and sauteed cabbage, but people would think that was really weird.  So I need something midway between, tasty enough to want to share, but not so good I'm left without a meal.

Wow, Justine, I didn't realize this was causing you such weight gain.  Glad you found myfitnesspal.  Hope scaling the template to your smaller frame makes the difference.

Jess, me too on the bloat.  That's why I wonder if I'm not causing it by yoyoing from W30 to SAD the way you stop losing weight from too many cycles of diet and feasting.

Sharon, I'm glad you're feeling better!

Need some ideas for something to bring to a pot luck for 25-30 people.  So far, everything listed on the sign-up is full of wheat, cheese and/or sugar.  I thought about the Bora Bora Fireballs, but I don't want to bring 50 lbs of them.  They are so good I can see lots of people mindlessly popping them so there aren't enough left for me to make a meal of, and nothing else I can eat.  On the other hand, there would probably be plenty for me if I bring a pot of ground beef and sauteed cabbage, but people would think that was really weird.  So I need something midway between, tasty enough to want to share, but not so good I'm left without a meal.

Maybe make a double-batch of Italian Sausage and Eggplant Strata from Well Fed?

It's been a maddening day.  Came home from a long trip through a very crowded grocery store (fighting MAJOR cravings the whole way) to find that, while I was away, the only non-Paleo person in the family ate up a bunch of Paleo ingredients (an entire package of cooked bacon, among other things) that I was planning a meal around.  A meal for several people, I might add.

So, I had to improvise.  I had flounder and frozen spinach and garlic mayo.  I mixed the two latter ingredients to make a filling and rolled it up inside the fillets.  Melted ghee in the bottom of a glass casserole and baked the fish in that at 350F for about 30 minutes.  Served that with some steamed carrots and mashed cauliflower.  Really good.

I seem to be doing the mashed cauli a lot.  I like it, which is reason enough.  But my family also likes it... my family who won't touch cauliflower with a 10 foot pole.  I think they think it's mashed potatoes, and I am not going to enlighten them.   :lol:   That's what you get for eating all my d@mn bacon!

Ugh that has happened to me before too.  I have to hide it under other things now to keep the husband and kid at bay.  Your dinner sounds delicious.  I had probably the best dinner since I started 19 days ago.  Zoodles with scallops, clams and spaghetti sauce without added sugar that I found at BJ's yesterday.  I didn't even miss the parmesan!

Have a good night everyone

Dawn

You can sure tell it's January!  Everybody and his brother starts a W30, and a W30 log.  How did we wind up more than halfway down the second page in less than 24 hours?  Keep chatting folks!  Otherwise we may never find our thread!

I'm making carnitas again this week.  My excuse?  I had lemons and limes left over.

I also have beef marinating for the Beef Stew Provencal from WF2.  I'll make that tomorrow.  I defrosted some chicken and wanted to do chicken, artichokes, sundried tomatoes, spinach and olives in garlic and olive oil over zoodles, but the organic zuke at WF was only about 6" long and an inch wide.  So now I have to figure out something else.  Maybe I'll just make chicken salad for collard wraps.  The zuke in my garden just started flowering, so I'm getting closer to having my own to pick.

Hope everyone is doing well.

I made Balsamic Chicken in the crock pot, the Chocolate Chili from WF which was outstanding as my dinner tonight, and some basil and walnut pesto from WF.  The chicken is for my lunch over the next few days.  Hope it tastes as good as it smells! 

Has anyone tried Paleo Wraps?  I found them on Amazon and decided to give them a shot.  They are made of coconut meat, coconut water and coconut oil.  They are dehydrated so they have a unique texture but I really like them.  It was nice to have a wrap for a change.  Won't be a habit though because they are a bit pricey...

I made Balsamic Chicken in the crock pot, the Chocolate Chili from WF which was outstanding as my dinner tonight, and some basil and walnut pesto from WF.  The chicken is for my lunch over the next few days.  Hope it tastes as good as it smells! 

Has anyone tried Paleo Wraps?  I found them on Amazon and decided to give them a shot.  They are made of coconut meat, coconut water and coconut oil.  They are dehydrated so they have a unique texture but I really like them.  It was nice to have a wrap for a change.  Won't be a habit though because they are a bit pricey...

Sorry -Paleo Wraps are out on a Whole30. Save them for after you're done.

Made the Beef Stew Provencal from WF2.  Awful!  Way, way, too much balsamic vinegar.  I use it often in marinades for London Broil, but this recipe calls for adding it into the stew itself.  It's too overpowering to taste any of the other flavors in the finished product.  If you eat the stew right away it is colorful enough, since the veggies sit on top of the meat and steam towards the end, but if you have leftovers, the zucchini and carrots take on a dirty brown hue.  Won't be making this again.  I feel like I wasted a perfectly good 2 pounds of grass fed beef.

Maryann - ARGH I HATE it when I feel like I've wasted meat!!! I guess that's the reason why I often recycle my favorite recipes...

dmp/GFChris - I thought purewraps were allowed on whole30? sounds like the same ingredients...I have never tried any of them. and I'm too lazy to try to make some egg wraps! HA!

Nan - you improvise pretty darn good! I wish I did that well when faced with aversion! I usually end up with a couple hot dogs and some carrot sticks! HA!

well...today I made it to Penzey's spice store. they sell mostly online but there is a store near where I live and I've always wanted to go. I walked out with $100 of spice blends. YES, PEOPLE. $100. part of me is ashamed. the other part is hungry! HA! seriously, I think it's going to be an amazing addition to my need for quick foods. I used the fajita mix tonight with some chicken and peppers, grabbed some organic corn tortilla's for the kids and hubby and grubbed mine down from a bowl. it was GREAT. I seriously have so many options right now I may just cook some ground beef or chicken and veggies and throw in different spices for the next week or so just to try them all out. AH-MAZ-ING.

other than that I've been doing well! I ate out yesterday twice and I really don't like to do that. but we also went to a movie yesterday and one of the "meals out" was food snuck into the theater (it was bought from a restaurant. I was too lazy to actually cook it before we went. but it wasn't popcorn/candy/etc.)

AND IT'S BEEN OVER A WEEK SINCE A LARA BAR HAS TOUCHED THESE LIPS. I know that may seem silly to some, but, seriously, I was eating at least one a day - more like 2 or 3 a day. a quick to grab something to put in my mouth. I still get that sensation and desire and still even find myself walking over to my lara bar cupboard. but today I say SCREW YOU LARA! :)

Jess, pure wraps were taken off the list recently, there was a news post about it on the website somewhere, I think I got it as a Facebook update. I make egg wraps but then am too lazy to fill them so just have them as rolls! Well done on cracking the larabar addiction. I seem to have cracked my dates and nuts and potato chip cravings finally... Still overdosing on cocoa but telling myself its to boost my calcium and iron and magnesium etc

Good Morning All!

Day 24 for me.

I'm going through a bit of a funk.  Body still swollen.  Clothes still don't fit like they did before.  Forgot to take measurements before I started but my stomach is def smaller.

Birthday is on Saturday.  I turn 54 and I have to be honest.  I am really stressed out!!

I guess I walked into this Whole60 with some very big expectations and while I understand that there's a lot of growth and change that happens internally before the sprout breaks the surface, I am dysmorphic and depressed.

I don't mean to be a downer.  But this is where I have to be honest or nothing changes.  my head really F*%ks with me!

I laid in bed this morning and tried to think of what worked before that I'm not doing now.  I wrote in a journal every day.  I tracked how I was feeling so that when I had days like this, I could look back over the last 24 days and see where my improvement was, however subtle.

I was on this thread every day checking in and staying connected to all of you!  I haven't been doing that.  And finally, I really made a commitment to exercise and I am merely dabbling in that.

I AM SO MAD AT MYSELF!!

I went into Eddie Bauer last night after work for some sweaters.  The weather here has been hideously cold and snowy.  Winter is my favorite time of year and I'm telling you, I am so over this!  It's -9 outside with the windchill right now and it's expected to be in the -20's tomorrow.  It makes walking the dog almost impossible.

Anyway, I'm in the dressing room, looking in the mirror, calling myself all sorts of names and I'm saying things like "I should just buy larger jeans"  "This is never going to happen"  "I'm so damn tired of all of this". 

I didn't buy the jeans because I know this too shall pass.  I just have to say it out loud or it will rent space in my head to the point where I really start believing I'm a failure.

So here I am.  

Notebook in front of me.  I will begin to apply again what worked for me before and I will try to love myself today the way I would love one of you if you were feeling like this.

I'll see how this goes for the next month and if I need to, I'll extend another 30 days.  i am desperate to feel better.

BLOAT is not my friend.  Ugh.

Thanks for listening and thanks so much for being here.  I don't know what I'd do without this group.

Maryann - THat sucks about the meat.  Some of these recipes just LOAD in the spices etc.  BTW, what did you take to the potluck?  How did that go?  BTW, can you share the carnitas link?  Ever since you all started chatting about them, I feel a need to make them.  They sound sooo yummy.

Nan - Sorry to hear the cupboards were bare when you got home but I admire your tenacity in making it work!  I am a very big cauliflower mash fan.  I could eat it every day.  I also found a recipe for Cabouli (as my boyfriend calls it) which is Tabouli using cauliflower instead of the grain.  ADORE IT!!

Justine - I am envious that your cravings have left you.  Will there ever be a day I don't crave chips?  LOL!

Jess - Speaking of cravings, congrats on killing the Larabar bear!  That's a big deal.  Oh, the spice store.  You remind me that I have one of those a few miles away.  It's actually a great idea to go wander through and see what inspires me.  I think it's awesome that you splurged.  You're worth it!

Sharon - Thanks for the nomnom chicken recipe.  I made it on Monday and used chicken thighs.  Turned out great!  Hang in there.  Even writing what I have today, I know it'll get better.  THis is a great support group.

Karen - I am in awwe of your ability to wield power tools.  I want to be like you when I grow up!  :)

Have a great day everyone!

Hugs,

Linda

Well that's a bummer about the pure wraps but they last a long time so I'll just wait to use them again.  I guess they consider them like a paleo muffin.  Just a replacement for something we should not be eating. 

Maryann, that really stinks about the stew.  To spend all that time and money only to waste it :(

I have not really been craving too many things but our CSA started this week and I am getting a cheese share and yogurt share which I can't eat right now.  I had a little pout fest about that.

Linda, hang in there!  I'm not seeing the results I got before either, but at least I'm not still going in the wrong direction.  I think I'm in for more than 30 days as well.

Jess, you ROCK!  No Larabars!  Congrats!  But I still think you need to remove them from your house.  You actually referred to it as your "Larabar cupboard".  To me that means you've gained a temporary victory, but they still hold a special place in your heart and home.  If you play with fire long enough, you'll get burned.

I didn't know about the paleo wraps either, but no loss for me.  I didn't like them at all.  Collard wraps are much better, and better for me.

Linda - I hear ya. but remember that the first time around we, for the most part, didn't see huge shifts until around day 45-60. I didn't see a ton until day 90ish. poo.

Maryann - should've clarified - my OLD lara bar cabinet! they are gone from the house, if you sit in the barbershop long enough you're bound to get a haircut! and this isn't a "I've got to wait ___ days and then I can have one again". this is a "I can't have them ever again" so having them in the house would be pretty silly, huh? sigh.

Archived