Crazy over Cashews

So, after a few great days, I sat down and ate about 5 servings of cashews last night.  I feel like the cravings are mostly gone, but the old behaviors are there!  I tried diverting my attention in various ways, then just gave up.  I'm so afraid I'm going to end this challenge having gained weight.  Sigh.

So, after a few great days, I sat down and ate about 5 servings of cashews last night.  I feel like the cravings are mostly gone, but the old behaviors are there!  I tried diverting my attention in various ways, then just gave up.  I'm so afraid I'm going to end this challenge having gained weight.  Sigh.

Don't beat yourself up, we are all human. You have learned that you have cravings and at least you didn't go for the chocolate cake, ice cream or glass of wine. I am also trying to avoid nuts, they don't agree with me. I am trying not to eat as much fruit and only with my meals, it is hard. One thing that helps is herbal tea. Just make sure it doesn't have any soy or stevia in it. It also helps me increase my water intake. You can do this.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This topic and these responses are comforting to me because I have the same problems with nuts and snacking. I am on day 7 and I packed a bag of hazelnuts, cashews, macadamia nuts, and coconut flakes to keep in my desk at work, just in case I got hungry and needed a snack. But today I learned that was a terrible idea because I ate them when I wasn't even hungry - and way way too many and eating them too fast. It was like stress eating. I ended up throwing the rest of the bag out. I think I need to only use nuts sparingly within meals, and I am also going to really try not to snack during the day. It is just a habit I have had for a very long time, so I need to break it.  After this little episode today, I almost wanted to start from day 1 again, but I guess I shouldn't because I have been compliant so far? Everything else has been going well. Just trying to be more forgiving of slight messups with the plan. 

Do you think it's common for people to fine-tune and get better at the Whole30 as they go along, or most are perfect from the start?

Do you think it's common for people to fine-tune and get better at the Whole30 as they go along, or most are perfect from the start?

Totally common!! Sometimes people aren't aware that snacking is discouraged; sometimes they lean too much on Thing X; sometimes they have to eat a mini-meal or two a day till their bodies get used to the new fuel. This is a process. Everyone is learning, about the science and food and also about their own bodies. You've already learned a ton and you're only on day 7!

You can always extend your Whole30 if you want to, but there's no need to restart only because you ate nuts and coconut flakes as a snack. If you really got hungry today, tweak your portions and pack a mini-meal (at least protein and fat) for tomorrow. Otherwise, keep going and learning!

Nuts have always been a weakness of mine. What I find helpful is when I buy a bag, I put a serving size in a small container. I do about 5 at a time. So when I take my nuts for lunch or snack, I have just 1 serving with me. It helps save time by pre-packaging them into individual servings. No need to buy pre-pacakaged servings when you can DIY ;-) 

I love nuts and cashews also! I end up buying the small bags from convenience stores. They're a bit more expensive, but they are great for a quick craving. I would love to do DIY packaging, but even having the whole jar in my house is a bad idea for me, and I know that. I also only buy 1 at a time so I'm not chain-snacking. If they're not accessible, you can't eat them :-)

After cleaning up my act and successfully finishing my Whole30, I took 5 days off and aimed for a Whole60, this time without nuts or dried fruit. That was supposed to start last Monday, and I once again caved today...I need to start again tomorrow. I'm feeling pretty defeated. I need just one solid good week (or day? Or hour?) to get me on the right track again. I don't know what my deal is!

I am no longer to have nut butters around the house.  My favorite snack of bananas and almond butter started to become a daily thing.  One night I found myself on the couch with a banana, a fork, and the entire jar of almond butter.  Not so good. 

Yep, that sounds about right for me ... :) 

Throw out the rest of the cashews.  Or bury them in the freezer.

Nuts are a food with no brakes for me too, so I have been avoiding them for my Whole 30 (I'm on Day 6) other than sprinkling some cut of almonds on a salad once.  Since I'm not eating snacks I have been fine with keeping nuts out of my meals.  I think if I added them in I would have the same problem as you, so avoidance is best for me.

The hubby and I just got back from the grocery store. We haven't bought nuts on purpose to keep in the house for a long time but decided to today. Bad bad bad mistake. I have ate 3-4 servings now. Only because I feel sick did I stop. On Monday I will make him bring them to work and out of the house. I thought I could handle them here in the house but clearly cannot. Seriously, nuts should be considered a drug!

I grab a handful and put them in a baggie on the way out the door in the morning, else I would be one of those who ate a lb at one sitting!

Nuts and nut butters are my downfall.  I have eaten a whole 16oz jar of peanut butter in a day at work, just one spoon at a time.

This is day 24 and I am so grateful for this post.After 24 days and trouble shooting on my own I decided to see what the forums had to say. 

I have been totally whole30 compliant and thought I could handle nuts - i actually thought hey am going to be eating so well and because I have eliminated so many other foods, why not keep my number one over eating food around. hahaha.Denial is a strong force.

It has been 3 or 4 days since I stopped eating them and I can see just how great their hold has been on me. I seriously crave them and almost convinced myself yesterday that I could just have a bit. 

Well I now truly see just what my relationship with nuts is. I have lots of nuts in my house right now and I am going to continue abstaining for the remainder of my whole30. I'll freeze them and get them out of my way.

Weight loss was a bonus I really thought would be prevalent on this whole30 journey but I think my relationship with nuts is in the way of that. 

Wish me luck everyone. I am going to talk to these nuts like Sarah in the labyrinth when she free's herself from the goblin king "you have no power over me!!!"

• 4 weeks later...

It's great to see I am not alone in my nut addiction here either haha. I can't have almond butter in the house, as a jar will be gone in a matter of days. It's a conscious addiction too, yet I continue to think "oh it'll be okay if I just have a few"…which then turns into a few too many handfuls. Raisins and shredded coconut (a match made in heaven) are another food I notice I snacked on entirely too much during this whole 30. I kept telling myself that they are compliant which makes them better than say, chocolate cake. I could've done far better during this whole 30, and seen more results. But I'm taking it for what it is. I've learned how to eat more filling meals, and I will try next to eliminate my nut addiction. Good luck to everyone else, and good job if you've overcome it!

wow, I see many kindred spirits on this thread.  

I'm on day 20.  Got rid of all nuts 3 days ago because of numerous nut binges.  But now I seem to be snacking more on dried fruit and flaked coconut.  Guess I'm just snacker!  If it's not one thing, it's another!

Totally agree that the nut thing is going to keep me from losing weight on this.  sigh.  

Archived