First Whole30, starting 2/17/14!

Good morning everyone. Happy Day 5. I wanted to share that yesterday my joints from head to toe hurt which was weird. They had been feeling better the first few days and then I had a big flare. Not sure why but I am thinking it is the transition from junk eating to healthy eating. This morning I am feeling much better. I just wanted to report that in case others are starting to see some changes. Hope everyone has a great Day 5.

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Happy day 5 guys! I just had a small skirt steak with an egg and spinach scramble for breakfast with some berries. I really cant understand why people think we starve ourselves on the W30!

I've been experiencing some stomach issues since day 3 amd im hoping its just my body getting rid of all the SAD food from before. thoughts?

Well here comes the weekend which has always been my downfall. I told myself im not going anywhere this weekend just so I know I can finally make it through one. lol.

wow, day 5! go us!  I feel a little guilty about yesterday, I didn't follow the template as well as I could have.  I left work around noon, because I was coming down with a bad cold, and instead of loading up on soup and crackers I went to TJ and loaded up on veggies and vitamins.  I think the vitamins really messed up my stomach, or I had a stomach bug, but I was in some serious pain.  I also got hit with the "charlie sheen" headache, so I was a big mess last night.  Luckily my boyfriend wasn't home, so I could just take the time to myself.  I didn't really eat any meals, instead I snacked ... which I know isn't what we are suppose to do.  I had some plantain chips and a little later a chicken salad, and a little later an RX bar.  I was feeling so awful, that a big meal just didn't sound good.  

But I didn't want to starve myself either, so I snacked.  But I woke up today feeling better and started my morning with 3 boiled eggs, a whole orange bell pepper, an orange and bulletproof coffee.  I have my meals planned for the rest of the day, so today will be better than yesterday.  

I still am having stomach problems and feeling extremely bloated, so I hope this all passes soon. 

Hope everyone has a compliant weekend!  I like to treat myself with something I wouldn't usually cook on the weekdays on the weekend, so it changes it up.  For instance, I got some really good steaks to grill and burger patty's from TJ.  And I plan to make compliant sweet potato fires or chips to dip with guac.  For me, that is what helps me get through the weekend =) 

Happy Day 5 everyone!

Of course, my coworkers brought in a bunch of food today for the office. Cheese and crackers, taco dip, all the wonderful things that I loved. But I didn't find it too difficult to make my way to the veggie tray and hoarde all the broccoli and carrots.

I thought we were supposed to be angry and hating everyone by now...I'm certainly not there. Looking forward to the challenge of the weekend. Heading to Trader Joe's for a shopping spree w/ my sis-in-law!

Great to see how well everyone is doing. Haven't posted much, but have been reading all your comments daily. It is nice to know others are doing this too - Girl Scout cookies we ordered arrived this week - watching the bf eat them has been torture! 

I've had a killer headache since Tuesday and have just wanted to sleep, but looking back at my log from my first w30, I saw the same thing happened for the first 7 days last time as well. Felt so great by the end, I totally forgot about the not-so-great feeling at the beginning.

To the person who shared the sausage recipe (Debbie MB, I think?): can't wait to try it!

Sounds like everyone is doing so well!  LauraAshley, my tummy has been bloated here and there as well.....I think it's from all the cruciferous veggies (cabbage, and cauliflower mostly!), my body isn't used to eating so much of it.

This is only day 4 for hubby and I....we started a day late.   :P

Day 2 seemed really HARD, but it's getting better!  

You know what I found took away my nibbly tendencies?  A little essential peppermint oil in water!  It was so yummy, and felt like a real drink, not just water.  

Not quite sure what I'm making for dinner tonight though....nothing quite sounds right.  What does everyone else have planned?  Maybe I'll get inspired if I hear what you have planned!   :)  (will also search online for some ideas!)

I have not had a headache since I started.... part of the reason why I am doing the whole30- so i dont have to be medicated to live normally.

I am a smidge gassy from all the green veggies. I dont think my body knows how to break down all the veggies since it is used to breads, pasta, sugar and CANDY!

My husband is half way between supportive and dick head. Wants me to cook him cookies. But then being sweet and asking me if he needs to run to the store for any of my food needs. He grilled me on this whole30 situation and why i should eat this or that. I had the book for i had information to show him to which he replied you cant really trust everything you read. But man he upset me with challenging me when he wants me to be healthy. He is complicating this here journey.

Hello to discoveringmyultimate, Debbie MB, Heidi14, Ariellemc, geanieb, cegoans, wesleypalmer, arenee, lauraashley, katiemcp, and franfrank,

I am with you!  If you have not yet read It Starts with Food get it and read it as you embark on this journey.  

It is a huge help and motivator for me.  Understanding the science behind all of this makes NOT doing this

feel reckless and irresponsible with regard to my health and well being. 

You guys are going to rock this! Best wishes to each of you!   :D

Hey Everyone!

Just checking in...I had a headache on Day 2, but that is now gone. I now feel full after nearly every meal I eat which is different for me. I am very happy I've started this journey regardless of the results I get. Tomorrow I'm going out on a date, so I am very nervous about eating out and how things will turn out.

I've been very bloated today. I think it may be related to apples I've been eating. I think I will back away from those for a week or two and see how I feel.

Next week I'm going to do a better job of following the meal planning template. It's especially hard for dinner because it's usually my biggest meal of day.

I have not had a headache since I started.... part of the reason why I am doing the whole30- so i dont have to be medicated to live normally.

I am a smidge gassy from all the green veggies. I dont think my body knows how to break down all the veggies since it is used to breads, pasta, sugar and CANDY!

My husband is half way between supportive and dick head. Wants me to cook him cookies. But then being sweet and asking me if he needs to run to the store for any of my food needs. He grilled me on this whole30 situation and why i should eat this or that. I had the book for i had information to show him to which he replied you cant really trust everything you read. But man he upset me with challenging me when he wants me to be healthy. He is complicating this here journey.

Hi dxander14,

My Bf isn't joining me on the Whole30 either. However, I am including him on my meal choices and make sure he also likes what I am cooking. The most recent additions to my book shelf were nom nom paleo, well fed 2 and against all grain. Most of the recipes are "normal food" in his perspective and as long as I leave him the option of having a bun or real pasta with the dishes he's fine. Actually, the recipes are partially a whole new experience for our taste buds and he's been embracing the new cooking style to the point the he's crazy about cauliflower rice and zoodles now (forgetting about bread and grains!) I

had started cooking more paleo dishes the last few weeks already, so I had a head start with him getting used to the food. And I feel as long as I don't limit him to paleo, don't judge the food choices he makes during the day and for desert- he's actually liking the new dishes.

It helps me because we don't see each other very much during the week and sharing a proper meal often is the only real conversation time we have!

We're both "foodies", so that may help getting him interested in experimenting, of course.

He's currently downstairs assembling the shopping list for our paleo burrito bowl dinner tomorrow :-)

Real guy food I can recommend is the Cincinnati Chili from Well Fed 2...recipe should be online, too. Hands-down- great comfort food! Maybe that can help luring yours into a more supportive mode as well. Sure worked with mine :-)

Hey Everyone!

Just checking in...I had a headache on Day 2, but that is now gone. I now feel full after nearly every meal I eat which is different for me. I am very happy I've started this journey regardless of the results I get. Tomorrow I'm going out on a date, so I am very nervous about eating out and how things will turn out.

I've been very bloated today. I think it may be related to apples I've been eating. I think I will back away from those for a week or two and see how I feel.

Next week I'm going to do a better job of following the meal planning template. It's especially hard for dinner because it's usually my biggest meal of day.

If you know what restaurant you are going to for your date, go online and find their menu so you can decide ahead of time what to order. That always helps me. In fact I have vetoed certain places because of their lack of compliant food choices. Good luck and have fun!!

My husband is not doing this with me either and he even went out and bought me a bag of hershey kisses yesterday and oh yeah three boxes of girls scout cookies (they happened to be outside the grocery store). I just thanked him and told him that was sweet to think about me. I put them away and that was that. I am actually doing pretty well with temptation right now and I knew it was him thinking of me. I really haven't made a big deal of doing whole30 I have been just cooking that way and adding the extra's such as bread etc. for him. I travel a lot so finding compliant food is more of a problem.

It sounds like everyone is doing pretty well. I have a question though does anyone know the typical time that people really start to struggle? Is day 12, 13, 14, 15? When I have looked at other people's posts I have seen some that were at day 27 and they cave. YIKES! That would be tough to get so far. Oh well just taking it one day at a time.

It sounds like everyone is doing pretty well. I have a question though does anyone know the typical time that people really start to struggle? Is day 12, 13, 14, 15? When I have looked at other people's posts I have seen some that were at day 27 and they cave. YIKES! That would be tough to get so far. Oh well just taking it one day at a time.

Here is the Whole30 timeline, to give you an idea of what to expect as you move through the process: http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/

One day at a time is a good way to proceed.  :)

THANKS!

I was off in another thread and found it at the same time you were probably posting it for me. This is excellent to use as a gauge of emotion & possible pitfalls. I am going to visit this as I go along. One other cool thing someone was doing was to put a penny in a jar for each day they completed and replaced it with the next highest coin so they ended with only a quarter and a nickel to represent the completion. I think that is a great visual and something to keep us mindful of how far we have come. I am going to get my nickel and a penny in my jar at the end of the day today.

Good Morning! Day 6 dawns, literally, and I'm still on track. Yay me!!! :D

Thanks for the visual ideas, I had just put a calendar on the refrigerator and was crossing the days off, which is working so far, but I like the money idea too.

I met with my personal trainer yesterday, so that we could get a new program together. I had been doing 2-3 days a week, but now with this extra energy I want to go up to 5. Is anyone else feeling a great as I do? I had a slight headache on Day 3, but have been fantastic since. I've been doing spring cleaning in February!  :P

It is difficult when someone isn't 100% supportive, but you can prove him wrong by doing this and showing him all the wonderful results you will have; shiny hair, radiant skin, lots of pounds lost, more energy, an abundance of happiness, the list goes on!  My boyfriend whom I live with, isn't doing this journey with me either.  He supports me most of the time, but then there are times like yesterday when he was craving my favorite meal (qdoba - love there queso) and brings me there with him so he can get lunch and asks me to be "fat with him and eat" ... ha! nope, I am not giving into that!  I went home and grilled myself some sausages and sweet potato fries and enjoyed not feeling lethargic from all the cards and dairy I would usually eat. He also ate a bag of mini snickers (my fav candy) right next to me, and I still didn't give in!  My point is, doing something for yourself feels good ... and each time you make your own decision to better yourself, the better you'll feel.  Good luck with the whole30 ... after a week or so, we won't even like the thought of eating the cookies or candy our significant others are asking for and we'll be getting closer to fitting into our skinny jeans =)

so I had a head start with him getting used to the food. And I feel as long as I don't limit him to paleo, don't judge the food choices he makes during the day and for desert- he's actually liking the new dishes.

It helps me because we don't see each other very much during the week and sharing a proper meal often is the only real conversation time we have!

We're both "foodies", so that may help getting him interested in experimenting, of course.

He's currently downstairs assembling the shopping list for our paleo burrito bowl dinner tomorrow :-)

Real guy food I can recommend is the Cincinnati Chili from Well Fed 2...recipe should be online, too. Hands-down- great comfort food! Maybe that can help luring yours into a more supportive mode as well. Sure worked with mine :-)

I had already been cooking "paleo" prior to this, with the addition of grains and beans.

Yea I definately do not judge his food choices. He is trying to gain weight so initially the concern was "what am i going to eat" then he saw i was cooking good food for both of us everyday. So that concern was addressed. I will definately look into the Chili recipe and breakfast bowls sound fantastic.

Its not that he isnt getting food or that I am judging him, he is just kinda being weird with me where he wasnt before. Like last night after a convo about food, he ate some candy strawberry Mentos, asked me if I wanted some.... then blew the candy/sweet smell in my general direction. Just irratating. We probably just have to have a deeper convo about how bothersome i find it.

@lauraashley Yea its going to get better. I think my coworkers offer me more food tempations than I have at home, but I am the best regulation there is out there. I am saying no all around and patting myself on the back everytime

Has anyone else got super senses of smell now that we are on this Whole30? I smell everything 10 times more clearly than I did before from sweet to sour.

Dxander I haven't noticed a keen sense of smell yet but I hope it doesn't happen especially if I am going to start smelling chocolate, cookies,cakes, etc. Those are the things that I love most. Also, I found out yesterday that the Girl Scout Cookies we ordered are in and they are being delivered this afternoon. I think I will be OK though since my husband brought three boxes home from the store a few days ago and I have not had any. He is on the last box right now.

Well I made it through yesterday but I really struggled with sticking to 3 meals. I made my food chicken soup with carrots & onion and home made chicken broth scooped out my portions then added noodles for the family. I think my energy is getting better but I am still having very slight headaches around 4:30 in the morning. I am an early riser so I just get up and moving and they go away. Today is the first day that I feel like my energy is better. Not Tiger like but better.

I am also off to a good start this morning with scrambled eggs in CO with yellow/red peppers and onion. Black coffee. I have steak and broccoli and cauliflower for lunch planned and will ditto that for dinner. I know it sounds boring but I actually like eating the same things for a period of time and then I am on to something different. I do want to make a meatloaf so I am going to go to the recipe link to see what people recommend.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Hello!  

I made chili without beans for the first time and I LOVE it.  I used this one from the clothes make the girl blog. 

I have chicken cooked for lunches for the week and all the meals planned out.  Life gets pretty busy and I am trying not to fall into "I am too busy and just grabbed something easy".  

Hope everyone is prepared for the week ahead!!  

What does everyone do to get ready and make sure you are on track? 

Dxander I haven't noticed a keen sense of smell yet but I hope it doesn't happen especially if I am going to start smelling chocolate, cookies,cakes, etc. Those are the things that I love most. Also, I found out yesterday that the Girl Scout Cookies we ordered are in and they are being delivered this afternoon. I think I will be OK though since my husband brought three boxes home from the store a few days ago and I have not had any. He is on the last box right now.

Well I made it through yesterday but I really struggled with sticking to 3 meals. I made my food chicken soup with carrots & onion and home made chicken broth scooped out my portions then added noodles for the family. I think my energy is getting better but I am still having very slight headaches around 4:30 in the morning. I am an early riser so I just get up and moving and they go away. Today is the first day that I feel like my energy is better. Not Tiger like but better.

I am also off to a good start this morning with scrambled eggs in CO with yellow/red peppers and onion. Black coffee. I have steak and broccoli and cauliflower for lunch planned and will ditto that for dinner. I know it sounds boring but I actually like eating the same things for a period of time and then I am on to something different. I do want to make a meatloaf so I am going to go to the recipe link to see what people recommend.

Hope everyone is doing well.

I also am having headaches in the morning, but once I am up they seem to go away.  This is new for me since starting Whole30. 

I had already been cooking "paleo" prior to this, with the addition of grains and beans.

Yea I definately do not judge his food choices. He is trying to gain weight so initially the concern was "what am i going to eat" then he saw i was cooking good food for both of us everyday. So that concern was addressed. I will definately look into the Chili recipe and breakfast bowls sound fantastic.

Its not that he isnt getting food or that I am judging him, he is just kinda being weird with me where he wasnt before. Like last night after a convo about food, he ate some candy strawberry Mentos, asked me if I wanted some.... then blew the candy/sweet smell in my general direction. Just irratating. We probably just have to have a deeper convo about how bothersome i find it.

@lauraashley Yea its going to get better. I think my coworkers offer me more food tempations than I have at home, but I am the best regulation there is out there. I am saying no all around and patting myself on the back everytime

Has anyone else got super senses of smell now that we are on this Whole30? I smell everything 10 times more clearly than I did before from sweet to sour.

Yes!  I have noticed the keener sense of smell also. It's like it was when I first quit smoking 17 years ago. 

Archived