Starting on March 1st. 2014

EmmySkimmy

Sharyn, so glad to hear you're back on plan and feeling better.  Compliant comfort food is key I think.  I also like to soft boil eggs and put them on warm veggies or mashed potatoes or avocado.

Wow Lady M, you are up really early!  And a 9 mile run is pretty impressive.  Is that typical for you?  I can understand why you feel a bit sore.

Sarah, I found it a bit of a challenge traveling on Whole30, I could imagine that AIP would be difficult.  I'm sure you'll find what's right for you as you take one day at a time.

Has everyone / anyone use the "Your Whole30 Log" forum thread to log their progress?  I honestly didn't start initially because I wasn't really sure I'd make it through, but now that we're more than half-way I can completely see myself finishing this up.  I think I'll go start a log there - better late than never.  Let me know if you all have one too.

Have a great week!

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, LadyM..that is great. I missing running. I hope that this diet will help me get back to it. I ran two half marathons last year..I was going to run the Bergen Half at the end of April, but I have decided not too since I have not been able to run now for two months..I'll see how it goes and hopefully I can get to the Oslo one at the end of Sept. I too prefer eating sweet potatoes over white potatoes.

Sarah, yeah I am happy that I will have someone else carrying on with AIP a little longer. Yes all the normal Paleo recipes look so inviting. At the moment, I try not to look at recipes of NON AIP.

Racemom, I'm going to take a look at the Whole30 Log. Sounds like a good idea.

I have kind of being using this thread as a log.

Sharyn, glad you are back on track. Take care of your tum.

Happy St. Patrick's Day. Day 17.

Day 16 was one of the better days I have had. I finally went on a walk (5.3km trail around my neighborhood). I had some muscle spasms in my hip and shooting pain in my elbow afterward, but thankfully it only lasted a little over an hour. It felt so good to get out of the house and go for a walk. After resting and the kids were in bed. I tapped green foot prints in a trail to a pot of treasure (a small thing of candy).  The leprechaun always stops to use the toilet. (footprints on the toilet seat and a few drops of green food coloring in the toilet bowl). My son always gets a kick out of that. Then I made sugar cookies in the shape of clovers with green frosting for his class.

While making the cookies the sugar mix looked so tempting, then the more I worked with the cookies I started to get a headache. Not any of it touched my lips, but I think just working around it was making me ill. I had a pounding headache until almost 3am. So no more baking until Easter.

Looking forward to another walk today :-)

• Moderators

Emmy, what a wonderful mama you are! Congrats on your walk! Taking a break from running now and again is necessary in my experience. I'm just getting back to it after a long hiatus and much needed rehab on my hip, which actually turned out to be needed strengthening of my glutes and hamstrings. I worked with a terrific trainer who really helped me learn about my body and get to a point in which I could run again. You'll get there if you really want to, I have no doubt. In the meantime, it sounds like walks are more than enough and doing the trick for you. One thing at a time, right?

I am keeping a log, and you can find a link to it in my signature below. I find it very helpful--and it's a nice thing to return to to learn about how certain foods may have affected my energy and to organize recipes to some extent.

RaceMom I am loving soft poached eggs and their runny yolks as a delicious sauce for greens and/or sausages. Sometimes W30 feels downright decadent!

Megalinity, you are doing great. This is one of the hardest things, giving in to eating something because you don't want to hurt someone's feelings. I felt this way when I denied eating a special meal made by my father in-law... Yes my family loves pancakes and waffles..

Thanks so much.  :)

A vest I bought online in autumn, which was too tight to wear, is now loose! Not loose enough to go down a size, but no longer so snug that I won't wear it. I also was able to zip up a size 14 petite dress and my size 14 jeans! The jeans are still a little tight for my tastes (holy muffin top, Batman!) but they wouldn't even button before! 

I can't believe we're on the back half of the 30 now, either! I started this unsure I could finish, and now I'm mostly not even struggling with cravings! I did have an extra sniff of the fresh baked bread in my local Co-op, but had ZERO desire to get any. For lunch, I made a huge amazing salad from leftover coconut shrimp, spinach, green pepper, onion, raw walnuts, a squeeze of lemon, and a homemade basaltic vinaigrette. SO TASTY!!

Bring on Day 18!

Got another walk in yesterday! Two days in a row. I have my personal trainer appointment today and I am excited about going since I am finally up and about and my aches and pains are minor. I have missed two weeks of appointments with her! What a waste, but not focusing on the negative...So..Day 18 of Whole 30 nr1 (Day 8 AIP). 

My walk in the rain last night...(22.45-23.55) was fantastic. Kept doing deep breathes of fresh clean air. I did 6.7kms in about an hour. Felt really good. 

Woke up this morning with a little pep in my step, but then this little cold that someone brought in to the house was bothering me (drainage down the back of my throat). I needed to rest. Thought I'd lay down for an hour and then tons of stuff done around the house..3.5 hours later I slowly emerge from my coffin. I guess I really needed to rest. The throat thing is almost away...

Laundry is going. Off to clean bathrooms....I only have two more days after today until I'm thrown back into reality...(I have to go back to work!)

• Moderators

Emmy, your walk sounds divine, and GOOD FOR YOU for giving yourself the rest your body needed!! I think I'm going to be doing that myself today. I only got about six hours of sleep last night in the interest of rehearsal last night and yoga this morning. I don't regret yoga (I never do!), and so I foresee an afternoon nap in my future. :)

Can y'all believe it's Day 18 already? I'm already pondering continuing past 30 days, though I know once performances begin and all my beloveds come around, I'm going to want to celebrate with cocktails with them. And I just don't think I want to deprive myself of those festivities. Though I am interested in actively practicing moderation. I'd certainly welcome never having another hangover in my life! :rolleyes:

I've missed you guys!  :wub:

Popping in after too long away (will spare you some of my whining - but not all :P ) - still compliant, but too much snacking, not enough meal planning, craving nonsense like mad, and beyond cranky and tired.  (It's taken me this long to recover from "losing" my hour earlier this month.)  Yikes.

I'm thinking of carrying this over into a W60 to really whip myself into shape.  The only thing that's still not fun food-wise is my morning coffee with no cream.  If I could manage the caffeine withdrawal, I'd give it up completely.  I may do that, since I'm down to one cup a day, anyway.

Happy dance for today - a fridge (soon to be freezer) full of Nomnompaleo green chicken.  Tasty stuff. 

Cranky aside, life is good.

Be well, everyone!

I've missed you guys!  :wub:

Popping in after too long away (will spare you some of my whining - but not all :P ) - still compliant, but too much snacking, not enough meal planning, craving nonsense like mad, and beyond cranky and tired.  (It's taken me this long to recover from "losing" my hour earlier this month.)  Yikes.

I'm thinking of carrying this over into a W60 to really whip myself into shape.  The only thing that's still not fun food-wise is my morning coffee with no cream.  If I could manage the caffeine withdrawal, I'd give it up completely.  I may do that, since I'm down to one cup a day, anyway.

Happy dance for today - a fridge (soon to be freezer) full of Nomnompaleo green chicken.  Tasty stuff. 

Cranky aside, life is good.

Be well, everyone!

Have you thought about almond milk for your coffee?

Hi Debbie!

Almond milk was a fail for me (don't care much for flavored coffees in general) - but I don't seem to mind it in plain black chai tea.

I've been "bulletproofing" my coffee with ghee instead of butter, but it's just meh.  Still have to try coconut milk.  I just have to open a can for another reason - someone posted a link to a punjabi cabbage soup that looks fab and easy and needs a can. 

If I'm honest with myself, if this is the worst thing that I'm going through during my first W30, food-wise, I pretty much just need to shut up.  :lol:

Have a wonderful day!

Okay. I didn't realize it would change the flavor of your coffee. I'm not a coffee drinker, so am kind of dumb on the subject. 

I bought some non-sweetened chocolate almond milk that I'm going to try tomorrow. I'm technically on my last day of my whole 30, except for dairy, so I'm looking for substitutes in that area. I wasn't sure if chocolate was a no-no, so am waiting until day 31 to try it.  :)

• Moderators

Okay. I didn't realize it would change the flavor of your coffee. I'm not a coffee drinker, so am kind of dumb on the subject. 

I bought some non-sweetened chocolate almond milk that I'm going to try tomorrow. I'm technically on my last day of my whole 30, except for dairy, so I'm looking for substitutes in that area. I wasn't sure if chocolate was a no-no, so am waiting until day 31 to try it.  :)

Unsweetened cocoa is fine for W30, but I don't know about all the ingredients in that almond milk. And it might count as SWYPO, IDK. So, I think it's smart to hold off until your W30 is over. Congrats, by the way!!

Yeah, chocolate is not Whole30 compliant, but 100% cocoa or cacao is.  Details here. http://whole9life.com/2010/09/the-great-cocoa-debate/

Day 18 and I am rocking again :)  I had a light, fruit and coconut milk breakfast as I was up late and knew I had to have lunch early. Before W30 I would have waited for a brunch but i made myself eat. It didn't fit the template but it was all compliant and healthy.  Lunch was last night's leftover pork casserole reheated with an egg in it. God that was good. A bit light on veggies so far so supper was a huge salad with loads of homemade mayo and a salmon fillet. I love the food I prepare on Whole30. 

I took a tour this afternoon so have walked over 9,000 steps so far; it was a gorgeously sunny and warm day and my visitors had a great time. 

And today I did something I have been meaning to do for ages. I had my Well Fed cookbook spiral bound. It cost £5 and now it lays flat on the counter when I am using it. All cookbooks should be spiral bound :)

Hope you are all feeling as positive as me (whose tummy is getting flatter by the day)

Onwards!!

Sharyn, all that food sounds so good. I think I will try to make some homemade mayo tomorrow. I baked some salmon for tomorrow.

Happy to see you back EmayPA! Keep up the good work.

LadyM hope you got that nap in. What show are you working on, may I ask?

My work out with the trainer today was awesome!!!!!  3 supersets, rowing...It felt so great to have energy! I wasn't dizzy at all, some minor aches and pains, but nothing I couldn't push through.  No headaches today.  Bathrooms are clean, mopped the floors, kids clothes are washed and put away....Best day out of the 18 so far.

Hoping I am even stronger and have more energy tomorrow. 

Emay, I was going to suggest Chai tea with almond milk in lieu of morning coffee - not quite as much caffeine but still a nice hot drink.  I missed my morning lattes too, and just couldn't figure out how to drink coffee so I just gave up and switched.  Hope something works out for you.

Congrats on finishing up Debbie!  Well done!

So glad to hear everyone is getting good work outs in and seeing positive results.  I need to focus on that some more.  The weather has been really crummy here lately - it's the winter that wouldn't end - but still I just need to get out there, or walk indoor at work.

I've been focusing more on meal timing lately, making sure my meals are more 4-5 hour spaced apart (and appropriately sized) which I'm realizing I hadn't done before.  A bigger breakfast and a later lunch has set me up for being able to hold off until dinner then I'm done for the day.  I'm really hopeful this new habit sticks - well I need to keep doing it until it is a habit.  I'm thinking (right now anyway) of going beyond 30 days with one intermission for my birthday.  But I'll need to finish this one up first of course!

Awesome job Racemom, hope you hang out with a little longer after the first 30 :-) 

I love this not feeling hungry. I eat, the portions are much smaller then they were before, and then I'm done. No raiding the kitchen or constant thinking about food..when they talk about freedom in the book, they are right. I feel like I have gained freedom from my obsession with food. Yah!

Day 19!

Kinding of feeling like the world is against me at the moment, not with the diet, but with my household not being able to kick these colds that keep coming. I am sick and tired of being sick and tired.....it is getting really old. I know that our illnesses are not serious and there are others in the world that have it much worse than us. I am just feeling a little annoyed at the moment and needed to vent. Both kids were home from school again today and I have caught their sore throat and I have pain in my ear. Just as things were starting to get better for me...I had such a better day yesterday. I was looking forward to have another personal trainer hour today (she was nice enough to let me schedule an extra hour this week since I have missed so much) and I had to cancel it today! Grrr.. Oh well I'll see her tomorrow.

Loving my sore stomach muscles....there is a six pack under there somewhere...

This is a journey...I am going to feel good, I am going to get better. Ok..now I have to get my butt up and clean the living room!

Hope you all are having a wonderful Wednesday...11 more days left for the first Whole 30!!!!! Go March firsters!!!!!!!

• Moderators

For what it's worth, Emmy, I was incredibly sick throughout my entire first W30. It helped me to think of it as detox. Sorry you're all suffering!

And I completely agree with you about the liberation that comes with W30. Who would have thought that very careful attention to what we eat would result in freedom from food obsession? Seems terribly ironic but so wonderful!

I can't believe we only have 11 days left! Let's keep going strong!

LadyM, that helps a lot knowing that I am not the only one that has been ill during their first Whole30 " detox". Sorry you had it rough, but it seems you have emerged much stronger. Thanks!

This is the first lifestyle diet that actually seems to be working for me. I've tried Atkins and Dukan and other low carb to semi paleo diets and I still had the cravings, hungry all the time and feeling deprived. Eventually giving up in them. I don't have any of these feels on this. Loving it!

Finally checking in, on Day 19.  Feeling much better!  Energy is not yet as consistent as I was hoping, but I think there are multiple thyroid/adrenal issues to repair, and it IS better.  I'm mostly only hungry at night, and wondering whether I should increase or decrease carbs.  They are pretty low - for instance today I ate maybe a half cup of beets as the only carb-y veg.  I'm not stinting on coconut oil, olive oil, avocado, or sometime ghee.   I feel I need to work on regulating and regularizing sleep more.  

And what made me post was that I've been very stoic about avoiding the scale, but somebody asked me today if I'm losing weight, which was very cheering.   

Wondering about cutting eggs and nightshades, especially eggs after reading some JJ Virgin.   Maybe for Round 2.

Scored to be at the 2/3 mark! Now I'm certain I'll make it through the 30 days. Still trying to decide about longer term...

I'm on AIP and the reintroductions look like they will take a solid 2 months, so I'm thinking I might just start doing that (and I'd continue W30 since I'd still be compliant - just hopefully adding pepper,)

Day 19 was a good one for me as I used my bike rack and took my new bike somewhere flat for a practice ride to get used to it and get my confidence up. Hubby gave me the rack for my Christmas present and yesterday was the first time the weather was nice enough when I had the time to use it. Bike was my 60th birthday present last month. Gotta love my man xx

I had another light fruit breakfast - I have managed to cut the top of my mouth eating a crisp skinned apple and it's very sore. Lunch was hard boiled eggs, sliced beef, avocado and mayo with some spinach leaves and supper didn't happen! I forgot I had a ticket to a presentation so ended up rushing out of the house having just a couple of spoons of coconut butter. Went to bed with a hungry tum and didn't sleep very well. Presentation was excellent though so worth it. 

Have a good day 20 buddies

Onwards!!

Yeah Day 20!

Nice of you to join us Carrick. I too am not hungry until late afternoon.

Sarah, just take it one day at a time as long as you complete the Whole 30 and then do the reintro properly.  Plus there is no deadline, so you can always start again and do a 90 later if the time frame is tight right now. Just focus on doing this one right since you are already 2/3's through. 

Sharyn...glad you enjoyed your presentation, but you probably still should have had a little something once you got home since you didn't eat dinner. Sorry you didn't sleep well. Oh Happy Belated Birthday! Enjoy the bike.  My son just learned how to ride his bike so I am hope the weather clears up soon so we can take a little bike ride trip together.

I'm off to the doc to give him an update on my Lyme symptoms then off to the personal trainer to get my butt in shape. Baked salmon, butternutt squash and cauliflower is what I have had so far today. I have been skipping breakfast the past few days. Just not hungry at all. I know I need to start shoving something in even though I am not hungry..I will tomorrow. With AIP and no eggs or nuts...I am finding it a little difficult to eat steak or chicken or fish every morning...just a little phase I am going through. 

Blah blah blah.. 

Have a great Day 20!!

I am in love - with a butcher  :wub:  I just went into a new butchers to collect a beef bone I ordered last week and we got chatting. He knows about paleo, primal, whole30, Rob Wolf and so many other things. He was just starting his lunch break and we chatted for 20 minutes about food, diets, beef broth and being sugar free. He recommended some web pages I didn't know about too. It was so so good to meet somewhen who gets it!  :D  I shall pop in to see my new crush soon for some more grass fed beef (I bought short ribs as well while I was there). 

Archived