coconut milk inconsistency

Zellyb

I'm stumped in the differences I'm finding with coconut milk.  I'm buying canned coconut milk and when I open the can, there is usually the solidified coconut cream on the top and then the coconut water below it.  I put it all in a bowl and then mix it up to get some consistency.  I've used my immersion blender before and gotten a good creamer consistency like whipped cream.  I've loved that in my coffee.  But, some cans I've opened just won't form an emulsion when I try to blend them.  This most recent can when I tried to use the blender on it just got the cream portion chunky and left the water/oily part.  Yuck.  Is that indicative of old milk or just the inherent inconsistencies of coconut milk?  

Why light?  Aren't we supposed to eat whole fat products?

Either is okay (assuming there are no noncompliant additives, like sulfites). Light coconut milk is basically coconut milk with water added. If it's available to you, it probably makes financial sense to buy full-fat and water it down yourself, if that's the consistency you like. The Trader Joe's near me rarely (if ever) has full-fat coconut milk, so if that's where you do most of your shopping, light might be all you can do.

I use the TJ's light as well.  TJ's full fat has guar gum which doesn't agree with me, so I stick to the light version which is just coconut and water.  It's cheap, clean, easy to find, and even when chilled, it remains pourable which works great in post-whole30 smoothies. ;-)

I also really like the taste plain which I cannot say the same for most other canned coconut milks.

I wonder the same thing. I buy 12-packs from Amazon. The first 2 were totally smooth. Every can in the last one has had varying degrees of chunkiness, some extreme. Very weird.

I'm curious as to which brands you buy from Amazon. That may become my go-to source, since I can't find any compliant ones here.

Have a great day.:)

Patrick.

I buy always the same brand, and consistency varies. I think it gets more or less separated depending on the temperature too.

What I do : put the can in a recipient full of boiling water, stick a lid on. After 10 minutes, shake the can well, and the milk is fluid with no more creamy bits.

I buy always the same brand, and consistency varies. I think it gets more or less separated depending on the temperature too.

What I do : put the can in a recipient full of boiling water, stick a lid on. After 10 minutes, shake the can well, and the milk is fluid with no more creamy bits.

Thank you.  I'll give this a try.  I have bought light and full fat and I do think that's some of it.  I think the smoother varieties I've had had been the light looking back.  But, I like the full fat as well, so I'll give this process a try and see if that helps.

• 4 weeks later...

PamH, I totally agree with Arroy-D  the only one I use now.   I purchase the 6-8oz. cartons from Amazon.  They are the perfect size for me and it blends up nicely for a thicker, creamier consisntency.

I am new to this.  I was at Willy street coop and they had a toasted Coconut Almond milk.  No added sugar.  Am thinking this would be a tasty sub to my milk/cream in my coffee.  I have been drinking coffee with milk, coffeemate or cream for over 40 years so really need to find a sub for the cream that is compliant with the whole 30.  I haven't seen any references to your forum question referencing the almond milk coconut combination.  Would be interested in any thoughts or feedback.  

• Moderators

I always shake really well before opening. Also, don't refrigerate. Sometimes I still get a can that is coagulated. Pour it in a narrow, deep vessel and use your stick blender on it. Voila!

We recently got a shipment that was very solidified, you could tell from shaking the cans. Hubz put the cans in the oven on a very low temp, 200 or thereabouts, for about 20 minutes and that fixed it!

Archived