Really annoyed right now: Huge fail trying to make ghee

I'm beyond frustrated. I'm gearing up for another shot at Whole 30. Since ghee is so freaking expensive and it isn't available in my city that I can find, I decided to try making some. There are tons of blogs that say it's easy. 

Hogwash. 

I just wasted a whole pound of perfectly good butter creating a huge mess. Plus I bought coffee filters I didn't need to filter it. That was the problem. It would filter slowly and then stop. I'd have to keep trying to transfer it to another one and another one over and over. The stuff that came out of the filter wasn't clear so I filtered it again. I wound up spilling it. 

Seriously, I don't have any dairy allergies. Can melting and filtering butter really make that big a difference? Like will I not feel better and lose weight if I just use regular butter? 

• Moderators

What works for me is cooking the butter on lower heat than I think I need after it first comes to a simmer. Strain through cheese cloth, not coffee filters.

Of course, you can skip it. But if you choose to use butter, you won't be doing a W30.

Resisting the guidelines won't help. Sorry!

I'm beyond frustrated. I'm gearing up for another shot at Whole 30. Since ghee is so freaking expensive and it isn't available in my city that I can find, I decided to try making some. There are tons of blogs that say it's easy. 

Hogwash. 

I just wasted a whole pound of perfectly good butter creating a huge mess. Plus I bought coffee filters I didn't need to filter it. That was the problem. It would filter slowly and then stop. I'd have to keep trying to transfer it to another one and another one over and over. The stuff that came out of the filter wasn't clear so I filtered it again. I wound up spilling it. 

Seriously, I don't have any dairy allergies. Can melting and filtering butter really make that big a difference? Like will I not feel better and lose weight if I just use regular butter? 

I use an old cloth diaper to filter my ghee. I read that you should use cheesecloth, but couldn't find any locally, so just used the cotton diaper and it works great.

I use a clean thin flour sack dish towel from Target to strain. I just put the butter on low and leave it going while I do other things, checking it when it starts to bubble to make sure I don't end up with browned butter (which I did the first time I tried). Coffee filters *would* be messy - I'm sorry you're frustrated! Give it a shot with cheesecloth or a dish towel you don't mind staining. My grass-fed ghee is tastier than Trader Joe's ghee, but that is one option, as is ordering from Amazon, and you certainly don't have to have ghee to do a Whole30.

You don't need a filter. Just melt the butter, let it simmer for a bit. It will separate into the milk proteins (white) and the fat (yellow). Just pour the yellow part into a bowl, stopping any white that wants to come along with a spoon. Most of the proteins will be on the bottom of the pan anyway, so stop pouring before that. Then scoop off any white from the bowl with a clean spoon and pour the fat again to another clean bowl. Take care to not get any white proteins to follow along in your beautiful butter fat.  I usually just pour twice, but keep at it until you have no white left in your yellow, so to say.

Archived