What is the deal? Paleo Wraps

OrganicMom

So I've been told Paleo wraps aren't whole30??  Excuse me?  It's coconut meat....??  We need to eat something after church (we fast before hand) and being in the social hall is a big deal and no one else in our church eats meat during lent...so the fact that we are eating meat with our food is necessary (to be considerate of others) to hide....  so we have a wrap around the meat and veggies... this is one time per week.... someone is really going to tell me I'm not compliant? There's no more natural sugar there than in a half cup of strawberries...  and nothing extra added...    So I write a post about the terrible day I'm having and that's all somebody can say.  A wrap isn't compliant.  Yeah...I'm so motivated now. NOT...so much for support forums

Whole30 eating is a choice just like anything else.  You can follow a Paleo way of eating without being Whole30 compliant.  I'm sure one of the moderators can tell you if the wraps fit in the Whole30 structure.

Speaking of Whole30, while you're starting up, there are some points where you may experience some high emotions.  http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/

I'm sorry about your terrible day.  Are things getting better?

Last, I'm not familiar with all the dietary restrictions for Lent and if fish is allowed, but the ISWF salmon cakes rock!  They're extremely portable and very tasty.  I found using the canned salmon extremely offputting, and have switched to using the salmon in envelopes which does not have skin and bones instead.  I've made them a number of times.

Best wishes, Robin

• Moderators

Coconut wraps have a history. The answer was yes, but got changed to no. When coconut wraps first came to market, the Hartwigs gave them their blessings as Whole30-compliant. Over the next year or so, there was a lot of discussion about whether the wraps were sex with your pants on. Then the Hartwigs came forward to say they had made a mistake and were removing coconut wraps from the list of approved foods. Here is the article: http://whole30.com/2013/12/pure-wraps/

So I've been told Paleo wraps aren't whole30??  Excuse me?  It's coconut meat....??  We need to eat something after church (we fast before hand) and being in the social hall is a big deal and no one else in our church eats meat during lent...so the fact that we are eating meat with our food is necessary (to be considerate of others) to hide....  so we have a wrap around the meat and veggies... this is one time per week.... someone is really going to tell me I'm not compliant? There's no more natural sugar there than in a half cup of strawberries...  and nothing extra added...    So I write a post about the terrible day I'm having and that's all somebody can say.  A wrap isn't compliant.  Yeah...I'm so motivated now. NOT...so much for support forums

Thank you for sharing this with us. Sometimes text can seem very blunt and non supportive. I am sorry you had an insensitive response. I am not an expert so you can take this with a grain of salt. It seems to me that this has nothing to do with the wraps but instead has to do with trying to fit in with your church. I can imagine how hard it is to eat meat among people who are not especially when you are torn by your beliefs. Maybe that guilt is causing this frustration. You have a choice 1) Eat vegetarian at these church functions  2) Eat the paleo wraps and continue to hide the meat in them 3) Start the whole30 after Lent. Will eating a paleo wrap totally mess up your whole30 results . . . No. The whole30 process is amazing. We all learn so much about ourselves during this process and some of it has nothing to do with food. Are you on day 4 or 5? You could be in the Kill All Things stage so that could be fueling this reaction. You can do this! 

So sorry for your frustration.  I've been there and it's no fun.  There comes a point in your W30 where it seems everything you ever thought or knew about healthy eating is suddenly wrong!  This is a drastic change for many of us, and to find out our best intentions come up short is very disheartening.

Is it meat alone that your church eschews during Lent?  Might you consume egg salad, tuna salad, or salmon cakes?  Or is all animal protein off the table?

My solution has become collard wraps.  They are much sturdier and hold a lot larger serving than lettuce wraps, and are more kid-friendly because they are not so fragile.

I'm sure the comment was made by someone with your best interest at heart.  It is hard to tell tone when you can neither hear the person's voice or view their body language.  Overall, I have found this forum to be far more gentle and supportive than many internet sites.  I hope that one incident hasn't turned you away.

Robin (@RGJax2014) - thanks... sort of...but not much.  Just one of those days you really want to lean on foods that are NOT WHOLE30 at all....and needed support and encouragement.    No, fish is only allowed 3-4 times and not on Sundays... so while that's a tasty idea and would love it elsewhere (I actually plan on using it later this month), it's not doable at the church hall in front of others... but thank you.

Tom- thank you for that info... makes it seem even less of a problem, especially since we only planned on using them once a week if that on Sundays... certainly not a regular thing at all.

Trezholl0806 - thanks...at home yes...  it's just an attempt to not stick out too much or raise eyebrows... our family is already seen as strange for always bringing our own food (we haven't eaten foods with artificial ingredients for years...even before trying paleo.) and to get my son to eat something other than fruit...

Tina - it was very unsupportive.... the reason for my post was to Seek Support... that's the only comment the moderator wrote!  So naturally it upset me...the original response didn't even give a suggestion or a slight word of encouragement at all.  It was extremely disheartening...I already felt like their wasn't all the support on here that everyone claimed and then I get that.... If I wasn't doing this during Lent as a promise to God I would have given in at that in all honesty.    I do not feel guilty.  I just want to be able to eat a good meat protein at coffee hour after church since I fast in the morning (I only eat a small amount of a nut type cereal recipe that is completely compliant - most people don't eat anything at all) and I NEED that protein immediately after church and I simply do not wish to flaunt that I am eating non-Lenten foods in front of others.  I do not feel guilty- this was completely pre-approved by our priest and my whole family is doing this during Lent because I know I need the meat protein and particular health issues we want to address along with that we knew we would stick to it if we made it our Lenten fasting. We are on day 8.  and I'm not at any Kill stage.... the only person I'm perturbed with is the person that was so very insensitive and unsupportive.  I did have a bad day that was totally unrelated to the Whole30... I was looking for support and encouragement on such a day and the last thing I needed when feeling so proud of our efforts and simply seeking a bit of encouragement was a blunt statement like that with no explanation or thought behind it.  I appreciate your efforts, but really.... it was an insensitive answer to my plea for support.  I don't know what we'll do.  But I don't think one wrap a week in the 5 and a half weeks we'll be doing this is that big of a deal... I will try to think of other options but so far have none.

1MaryAnn --  It is ALL animal products.  So yes, all of that is off the table for there.  While it sounds like an interesting idea, I and the rest of my family have tried collard greens and we are not there yet.  I'll stick to lettuce and spinach and kale if it's steamed. Perhaps the comment was meant that way- but it certainly did not come across that way.  Maybe it would have if support and encouragement had come with it. But I felt like they were just saying Ha! You failed.  I know they didn't...but that's what the bluntness of the short remark felt like.  And I don't think we have failed...but I am a person who is hard on myself and am the one trying to get my family through this and feel a lot of weight on my shoulders so a comment like that was deeply unappreciated.  I needed support and encouragement not a 'you did wrong'.

Thank you everyone who commented here.  I almost didn't even get on to see if there was a response.  I had already felt like my posts and logs weren't receiving much support anyway but... anyway.. we are still plugging on for the whole30 (whole35 really for us before we start adding things back in) and will not give up.... but I am not sure I have as much hope in getting encouragement here... almost afraid to post again if the need arose.

Tina - it was very unsupportive.... the reason for my post was to Seek Support... that's the only comment the moderator wrote!  So naturally it upset me...the original response didn't even give a suggestion or a slight word of encouragement at all.  It was extremely disheartening...I already felt like their wasn't all the support on here that everyone claimed and then I get that.... If I wasn't doing this during Lent as a promise to God I would have given in at that in all honesty.    I do not feel guilty.  I just want to be able to eat a good meat protein at coffee hour after church since I fast in the morning (I only eat a small amount of a nut type cereal recipe that is completely compliant - most people don't eat anything at all) and I NEED that protein immediately after church and I simply do not wish to flaunt that I am eating non-Lenten foods in front of others.  I do not feel guilty- this was completely pre-approved by our priest and my whole family is doing this during Lent because I know I need the meat protein and particular health issues we want to address along with that we knew we would stick to it if we made it our Lenten fasting. We are on day 8.  and I'm not at any Kill stage.... the only person I'm perturbed with is the person that was so very insensitive and unsupportive.  I did have a bad day that was totally unrelated to the Whole30... I was looking for support and encouragement on such a day and the last thing I needed when feeling so proud of our efforts and simply seeking a bit of encouragement was a blunt statement like that with no explanation or thought behind it.  I appreciate your efforts, but really.... it was an insensitive answer to my plea for support.  I don't know what we'll do.  But I don't think one wrap a week in the 5 and a half weeks we'll be doing this is that big of a deal... I will try to think of other options but so far have none.

I am sorry that you don't feel encouragement here. I have found these forums to be filled will support. I hope you continue with the whole30 and see where it takes you. 

Don't give up, some days are much harder than others. It can be very difficult when people around you aren't supportive (hiding what you eat must be very stressful, especially in church).

Most people aren't doing a Whole30 and Lent, be gentle with yourself :)

I am not decrying the Hartwigs or anything about Whole30 in about what I am typing below.  I am doing great, and feeling great here at Day 17.  It's really changing my life for the better!  I realize Whole30 MUST be very strict because of how many people it is reaching out too, and that many people tend to rationalize bad eating choices.  (I know, I am one of those people!!!).  But the main point of doing this is to cause us to change the way we think about eating, and you sound like you are doing great at that.

I have a little heartburn with some of this stuff, for it puts form over substance.  Is it non compliant because it has ingredients which are not allowed?  Apparently not.  Is it not compliant because it may cause a psychological urge to eat bad stuff?  Apparently.   Did it cause you a psychological urge to eat bad stuff?   No....Did you make a well thought out, intelligent decision, substituting something with no bad ingredients?  Yes. 

I wouldn't sweat it, and you have my support. Sure, you're not doing it the legal "Whole30" way, but you are being very smart about your food choices, and I commend you.

@praxisproject  - thanks so much.

@namtrag- your words are well spoken. No, it certainly did not cause any such response... I don't even like them all that much! lol

And thank you for telling me it was an intelligent decision.  That means so much.  You have no idea... if I stick it out on this forum, it's due to people like you.  Thank you.

@ JohannaE  ??  I don't know what you mean.  Why would anyone be afraid of my responses any more than anyone else?  I have not had the slightest issue with anything here other than the response from a moderator that I spoke of....  and I think that's already been explained.  No need to rehash at all.  It's over.  I'm still doing well and being very successful and feeling proud of my family's accomplishments.... especially this past week... despite reaching out and not getting support here until I did speak up about how that felt.  Now I feel very supportive by quite a few.  I am grateful. 

Hi OrganicMom - there are several of us who are doing a Lenten Whole40 (technically Whole44) and we chat on a thread in the Start your Whole30 section. It's called Lenten Whole40 support thread. It's friendly and the mods keep an eye on us and chime in when necessary. Please feel welcome to join us.

Here is my opinion. I totally get why they are SWPO. For most people, this diet is a huge change for them, giving up bread and other items. And an important part of the program is psychological. Don't count calories, don't weigh yourself, don't paleoize or make desserts out of foods.

However, I think I am capable of using these paleo wraps and not be lured back into eating bread. I had given up bread and most grains before I did a W30. I wouldn't go back to eating it if you paid me (well maybe for a million dollars). So having a paleo wrap is just a way to make some meals easier to eat. I like them, but they are kind of expensive, so I probably won't have them regularly.

If you are a first time W30 and just giving up bread, then you can probably skip them. But honestly I don't see a huge difference between using a paleo wrap and wrapping something up in lettuce. The concept is the same. IMO of course.

They don't make me crave bread at all.  I have no desire for bread.  What's funny about this is the RX bars that ARE whole30 compliant....sorry.... those babies make me want MORE of them..... the wraps? I don't really care...just a convenient and less messy way of wrapping my meat and greens....

Archived