Getting kids to drink

Please share your tips for helping kids (especially those used to sugary drinks in sippy cups) to get enough fluids.  What do you offer them?  Will they drink on their own if not offered sugar?

kids will drink water if this is what is offered to them. I volunteer at a nursery where we offer ice water for snack and milk with dinner. I have never ever heard a complaint from a kid about the ice water.

My sister always gave her kids plain water in their sippy cups and it was fine. My brother started a juice habit with his kids, but then gradually watered it down (he filled the cups with ice, which they thought was a treat, then added diluted juice which got further diluted as the ice melted.)

My kids (age2&4) think it super special to have cups without lids, so they only get water in those cups. I also found some small sports bottles for them for when we are at a park district class, but they like them so much, they want them at home too. I guess they are easily amused!

Start by getting the juice out of the house. Diluting it just prolongs the agony.  When we stopped juice, I would open the fridge and say "Oh look, we don't have any!  How about some water?"  Also get new cups.  If the kids are always used to juice in their sippy cups, get a new kind of cup and put water in it.  Change things so they don't 'notice' that the juice is missing.

Cups with fun straws always encourages my daughter to drink.

My kids drink water.  I actually fill up a quart bottle with water from the fridge in the morning and just leave it on the kitchen counter.  They are 6 and 7 and take their own water whenever they want.  They occasionally drink juice at school.  Sometimes they seek out milk if I let them have school lunch, but they don't like it so I don't make a fuss about it.  We are dairy free for the most part at home.

My 3-year-old thinks it's super special to get water with lemon or lime. So, when she asks for juice, I offer that to her instead and she always accepts. Also, she likes to squeeze the juice in there. :-)

• 1 month later...

We don't keep juice in our house, the kids went straight from boob to water. I leave a sippy cup laying around the main floor (and one in her crib) and the youngest wanders around playing and randomly picks it up to drink now and then. The oldest one has cups of water on the table and on her dresser in her bedroom, plus one in the bathroom. She brings an empty cup to school to fill with water when she eats her lunch (water bottles kept leaking in her school bag)

Archived