Serving sizes

• Moderators

Our meal template specifies serving sizes based upon the size of your hand and your thumb: http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf

It is important to eat at least the minimum serving sizes three times per day. If you eat less, your metabolism slows and fat loss (if you have fat to lose) slows and maybe stops. 

kllsunshine22 - Like Tom Denham said, I follow the template for protein & then I'm liberal with my veggies, which I'm usually preparing with a good dosing of fat (olive oil, ghee, avocado or cashew). As long as my high quality protein is being met, I don't feel bad about adding more veggies or good fats. I only have 1 - 2 fruit serving a day.

If I'm wrong, I hope someone will post after me! Good luck! :)

This might sound like a silly question, but it's something I've been wondering.  I got the palm-sized protein sizing, but I was curious how thick that palm size piece should be?  Clearly a 1" thick steak is a lot more (or could be a lot more) protein than a slice of chicken from a roasted chicken breast.  How thick is that palm-size piece?  Thanks!

missmary - Thanks for the clarification about the 'palm-size' protein - I was wondering the same thing, RaceMom!!

This is what I like about W30 - it's not an exact science, but a rather a set of guidelines to follow that allows you fit in what you need, that best works for your appetite, schedule, preferences, etc. I would go crazy counting calories & measuring everything I ate...

:) 

• 1 month later...

I have problem to just stick to 3 meals per day.. I eat breakfast at 7. Lunch at 11:30 and dinner at 5.. When I'm going to bed I'm so hungry!! I have been eating 4 meals, but I know that's not "okay" in whole30.. And I'm feeling bloated when I'm going to bed.. But it's hard to sleep when you are hungry.. I'm on my day14.. Do I eat to mush?

I have problem to just stick to 3 meals per day.. I eat breakfast at 7. Lunch at 11:30 and dinner at 5.. When I'm going to bed I'm so hungry!! I have been eating 4 meals, but I know that's not "okay" in whole30.. And I'm feeling bloated when I'm going to bed.. But it's hard to sleep when you are hungry.. I'm on my day14.. Do I eat to mush?

Eating 4 meals is okay.  Tom Denham (one of the moderators), did that his first time around.  You ideally want to have meals that satiate for 4-5 hours, but until you get there, adding another meal when you get hungry is ok.  

If you would like feedback on possible tweaks to make in how you're structuring your meals, post 2-3 days worth of your food log in the Troubleshooting section, including what you're eating, how much water you're drinking daily, how much sleep you're getting nightly and your exercise routine. 

Until I got used to having only 3 meals a day, I would often have a "snack" or mini meal (1/2 meal size or smaller) to get rid of that hungry feeling without feeling too full when I go to bed.

• 2 weeks later...

How do eggs fit into the whole palm size serve?

Is 1 egg considered enough or 2 or more?

(I specially ask because I'd have 2 for a meal for example, and 1 as a PWO snack.  However if 3 or 4 is considered a meal size then does that mean it's 2 eggs for a PWO snack?)

How do eggs fit into the whole palm size serve?

Is 1 egg considered enough or 2 or more?

(I specially ask because I'd have 2 for a meal for example, and 1 as a PWO snack.  However if 3 or 4 is considered a meal size then does that mean it's 2 eggs for a PWO snack?)

Eggs are not part of the palm size serving.  The 1-2 palm sized serving applies to meats and fish.  For eggs, the serving size is the number of eggs you can hold in one hand.

By PWO, do you mean pre WO or post WO?  Pre WO, eggs are a good protein choice.  Go a little lighter than a standard meal serving.  For example, if you can hold 3-4 eggs in one hand, that would be your meal serving size.  PreWO, have 1 or 2.

Post WO, have either egg whites as your protein, or choose another lean protein option.  The Post WO recommendation is protein and carb, no fat. The egg yolks are a fat, which is why they whole egg is not a good choice post WO.

I've searched and not found, so forgive me if this is a repeat, but how many servings is in a skillet recipe from ISWF?  Do I cook up the 2 lbs of meat, then use a 'palm-size' portion per person when serving it up?  Then add the veggies per person as well?  I'm cooking for two.  Same for the frittata.  9 eggs, plus meat and veggies in a skillet seems a lot for 1-2 people in one sitting.  Do I add enough meat and veggies per person?  Or is it meant to be multiple meals?

When I make the frittata, I have four servings (feed me, my 2 kids and a portion left over for breakfast the next day) out of it if I add meat, if only eggs and veg it makes two servings.

The skillet recipes are 1-2 palms of meat per person with 1-3 cups veg per person. You will need a big skillet if making max portions for two!. I have a shallow 10 inch sautéed pan that is perfect for one.

I'd say 1) template and 2) satiety and 3) template. If you're hungry in the beginning eat a mini meal per the template. If you're consistently hungry between meals after the first few days, eat more. Especially for breakfast.

Print the template and tape it to your fridge. Template is the key.

Do not worry about "portions" or "serving sizes." We've all been brainwashed to approach food in this way, weighing and portioning and counting and restricting.

The w30 is freedom from all of that as long as you follow the template and follow the guidelines (mainly avoiding fruit as snack, nuts as snack and other technically compliant but off-template eating), which are destined to put you back in touch with real hunger cues. It can be hard to let go of the old ways, I weighed and tallied food for years. But this way is sooo much better.

I never portion my food eating this way and I'm the leanest I've been at almost 40 since my mid 20s.

One day you might need a 3" piece of frittata and another day 4" (or what ever). Obviously you start to know how much you usually need to keep yourself full but some days you might be hungrier, and that's ok!

Archived