Can I double mayo recipe?

I use the Well Fed olive oil mayo recipe and it turns out great.  BUT it makes so little.  I'd like to double the recipe, if it won't ruin it.  Olive oil is too $$$ to waste on experimentation, so I thought I'd better check here first.

great question, peahen65!  I often wondered the same thing.  I use so much of it and have to make it twice a week.  It seems to find its way into every meal!!  Love the stuff.

I hope someone can answer it :)

I just make two single batches and combine.  Emulsification can be tricky.  Hellman's obviously does it in big batches, but they also have far more powerful equipment.  I worry that my blender or processor would not handle a larger load as well and I'd be left with an oily mess.

• Moderators

I started making double batches about 3 batches ago, but I use a very good stick blender to make my mayonnaise and have not suffered a mayo failure in about 10 batches. And even when I have problems getting a good emulsification, I've eaten every batch. Runny mayo still works good with tuna salad, chicken salad, etc. 

I've been "doubling" the Well Fed mayo for the last 3 or so batches. I double everything except the 1/4 cup of olive oil used to whirl the eggs and lemon juice at the beginning. Afterward, I use 2 cups of olive oil and it takes me about 5-7 minutes to produce wonderful dreamy perfect mayo.

Also- I let my eggs and lemon juice sit for 45-60 minutes! Definitely needed!!

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Brittany, you answered my question. I doubled my last batch and it turned out kinda funny. Some of it was really thick and icky, and the rest was beautiful mayo. I'm using all of it anyway. I hate wasting good food.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just made a double batch a few days ago with a stick blender except I used the whisk attachment.  I made it in a salad bowl so I could use the same bowl right after to make tuna salad.  Fewer dishes!  Sometimes I just have awesome ideas.  :)  

Archived