A little whining about my weight

namtrag

OK, so I am now about 45 days without any forbidden foods, other than the two packets of pure stevia that I have used in the past day.  I am not following the meal template, but I am not eating any grains, dairy, or legumes or packaged process foods, including anything with added sugar.

I know this isn't supposed to be a weight loss diet, but if I understand it right, once you are in the groove, you only eat when really hungry, which is exactly what I am doing.  Based on the logic of that, I would conclude that I would be gradually losing to my ideal weight.  I have lost nothing in the past 2+ weeks.  Am I just being impatient?

I lost 13 during the 30 days, but nothing since, and I am still about 20-25 lbs above what I consider to be my ideal weight of 180-185.  I am only 5'8", so the "I carry my weight well" is not a good excuse to be over 200lbs

OK, thus concludes my whining lol

• Moderators

Just eating compliant foods is not enough. You have to eat the right amount of them and the right amount is neither too much or too little. 

If you want to lose weight, you really need to be following the meal template. The template is part of our best advice for long-term weight loss. You should never eat less than the template minimum, even if you do not feel hungry. Many people do not eat enough to keep their metabolism and hormones in healthy ranges, so they hold on to fat more tightly than they would if they were eating enough.

http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf

Thanks, guys...I am trying to eat when my body tells me to, and not to act like I am on a diet.  I want this to be my long-term way of life!  Lots of good advice from all of you.  I wouldn't think the template would be needed long term, because if your hormones are functioning well, you would never tend to overeat.  Nonetheless, I will keep watching portion sizes, and yes, probably I am eating too many nuts.  I am eating on average about two servings of fruit a day, by that, I mean an apple and an orange, or two apples, or two oranges.   My wife and I have talked about the nuts, and we made a decision to cut them out for a week or two entirely and get our fat from the avocado, ghee, coconut oil and eggs.  

Really I couldn't be happier though as far as the way I feel about food now, and the fact that I am not having heartburn constantly any more!  This program has really changed our lives for the better!  I am only weighing once a week, which is tough for a lifelong dieter!!!!  Although I am whining a little, I am so happy because I didn't stop after the 30 days was up and start eating "normally" again!

13lbs is quite a bit to lose in just 30 days and I suspect that your body is having a rest after all that effort. Stick to the meal templates as close as you can (I always have raw baby spinach on my breakfast plate now regardless of what else is there) and be patient!!

Maybe make friends with a tape measure instead of scales - or just go with how your clothes feel and stop letting numbers rule your mood. I did that last summer and can totally recommend the freedom feeling. 

I'm starting to get discouraged 😞. Today is day 14 for me. This is my first time doing the whole30. I am following the meal plan. I notice amazing results in my skin and my energy level but I don't think I'm losing any weight. I haven't weighed myself because I'm waiting until the 30 days is over but I really don't feel like I've lost anything. Does anyone notice additional weight during or a drop in weight after their menstrual cycle. Not my favorite thing to discuss in a forum but I'm just wondering.

• Moderators

I'm starting to get discouraged . Today is day 14 for me. This is my first time doing the whole30. I am following the meal plan. I notice amazing results in my skin and my energy level but I don't think I'm losing any weight. I haven't weighed myself because I'm waiting until the 30 days is over but I really don't feel like I've lost anything. Does anyone notice additional weight during or a drop in weight after their menstrual cycle. Not my favorite thing to discuss in a forum but I'm just wondering.

During my first Whole30, I was convinced that I was gaining weight the whole time, until about the last three or four days. I ended up losing I think six pounds for the month. Just give it time. Focus on the better skin and energy levels.

Lindsaymick......I am on day 14 also today. I too have plenty of energy and feel great but when I look at myself in the mirror I am not seeing much difference. I am, however, feeling it in my clothes. I have some cargo shorts that I was determined to not get a size bigger and they were painful to wear. Today, with no belt on and only my cell phone in my pocket......they were constantly working their way off....and would have if I wasn't constantly pulling them up. As a guy, I can't offer any advice or knowledge on the menstrual question. Keep up the good work and I think you will start to feel your clothes telling you how you are doing.

I'm starting to get discouraged . Today is day 14 for me. This is my first time doing the whole30. I am following the meal plan. I notice amazing results in my skin and my energy level but I don't think I'm losing any weight. I haven't weighed myself because I'm waiting until the 30 days is over but I really don't feel like I've lost anything. Does anyone notice additional weight during or a drop in weight after their menstrual cycle. Not my favorite thing to discuss in a forum but I'm just wondering.

If you would like feedback as to whether you're on the right track, post 2-3 days of your food log in the Troubleshooting section, along with nightly hours of sleep and amount of daily water consumption. 

Thank you! I just logged today under troubleshooting. I could've definitely are some more veggies today but I do better with that during the work week. I'm going to continue to log to see if I get some feedback

I responded to your Troubleshooting post here

Continue to post your food log in your Whole30 log as you go through the process, and you can get further feedback there. 

<snip>

when I look at myself in the mirror I am not seeing much difference. I am, however, feeling it in my clothes. I have some cargo shorts that I was determined to not get a size bigger and they were painful to wear. Today, with no belt on and only my cell phone in my pocket......they were constantly working their way off....and would have if I wasn't constantly pulling them up.

<snip>

Ducks,

Make sure you're not wearing your "fat goggles" -- obviously you're slimmer, since your pants are falling down  :ph34r:  Oftentimes the mental image we have of ourselves is much harder to change than the real one.

Take a picture of yourself (show some skin - heh) and look at THAT.  Sometimes a photo helps to filter out the misperceptions.

I still remember looking at a picture (that I had never seen before) of myself ages ago, and thinking:  wow, I was THAT skinny?!  Never saw myself that way.  (Sadly, it was not a paleo/primal/feel fabulous and healthy skinny - and it didn't stick - and why I'm so glad to be here now.)

Archived