Peggy's Log

Peg541

Peg- Again and again I see you talking about reducing portion sizes, but your meals are already on the small side. What's up with that?

In my experience eating the standard american diet, I couldn't really trust my hunger cues because I would crave dairy or grains anytime i ate them, but eating this way takes away a lot of that noise. You should be able to trust your hunger on this plan, so go ahead and eat enough to not feel hungry and light headed and desperate. Eat enough to thrive. If it is healthy for you to lose another 15lbs, it will happen in time.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you're correct but I like volume eating. My protein portion has been bigger than 1-2 palmfuls. It's just something I do, rein it in a bit and I'll be fine.

I buy store made guacamole because it's so easy. I love the stuff. Buy avocados and open one it's a crap shoot is it already bad inside. Maybe I'll buy a few and use the store bought for emergencies. Going to Sprouts tomorrow,anyway.

Mary I have to be very careful. I'm keeping off a 133 lb weight loss. WW. I can put weight on very easily and my hunger cues are often not to be trusted. On whole30 I'm absolutely not hungry for meals. I know that's the extra fat I'm eating and I'm glad for it. This is me thinking out loud. I appreciate the comments for certain.

Morning.

Breakfast

3 scrambled eggs with a cup of diced sautéed green beans. Red peppers. Onions. Mushrooms. Chicken sausage. Yum. 1/2 big sweet potato. Coffee. Lemon water.

Lunch

Salmon. Spiralized zucchini sautéed with onions in EVOO. Yum. Guacamole. Half store bought half plain mashed avocado.

Dinner

Rib eye steak. Mushrooms. Zucchini noodles. Sweet potato.

1 cup grapes.

I made zucchini noodles and sautéed them with onions in EVOO. I put some compliant spaghetti sauce over them and some salmon. Oh was that ever good. I'm always surprised. I guess I'll branch out to spaghetti squash. I always liked that. Thank goodness I found the sauce. It's delicious.

Feel like I'm getting a chest cold. Not looking forward to no cough drops but honestly I'm doing well. If I have to use them I will. But will think twice.

Roasting carrots. Cooked up some chicken and have that cilantro spice chicken marinating for the crock pot tomorrow. I used parsley as I'm not a cilantro sort of gal. Can't even be in the room with it.

Lovely dinner of one 3oz cx breast with broccoli. Guacamole and sweet potato. My husband bought the white sweet potatoes and they're really good. A nice change.

I'm working on a beginners cup of bulletproof coffee. Just a half tsp of coconut oil and the same of ghee. I'm not bowled over but if it's helpful I'll give it a try. I think I'm eating my fats fine.

If the only reason to drink this is to make black coffee palatable it's not working. I'd rather just drink the coffee. I miss the sweetener but never used dairy anyway.

Doing fine. Allergies killing me today. I think it's in the house. We had some construction and there is still dust. They're not finished. Then I'll clean it all out. Or pay someone to.

Blood work tomorrow. Fasting. See how I'm handling the fats and eggs. I'm certain I'm fine but once a year it's nice to see.

My cough has blossomed into a cold. Frankly I'd rather treat my symptoms with lozenges and cough syrup than heavier drugs with decongestants. If it becomes necessary I will break my whole whatever and do this. I have to work tomorrow and might need relief.

Or are there other suggestions for cough and cold relief?

Ok I did a search and see "do what I have to do to get better." Lozenges are not approved. I'll try hot tea and use the lozenges only for emergencies at work.

I sort of lost count of my days. It's probably 14 by now but it's not my first. I got pretty far into a 30 before we traveled to NYC and I broke it there. I'm keeping it up. No desire to re-introduce anything.

When I'm sick I do:

- Hot water with a Tbsp of raw apple cider vinegar. It sounds gross but it is soothing.

- Lots of bone broth. I don't particularly like it straight up so I make pureed veggie soups.

- Neti Pot or something similar. I got a nasal spray that I like a lot. I also found this little essential oil thing that you inhale through the nose and feels great.

Other things - herbal teas, hot water and lemon, boiled ginger tea, and lots of extra garlic in your food.

Hope you feel better soon!

Up and dressed at O'dark:30 for work. My long day. Three busy meetings. I do have help thankfully. Lunch date today but I can get a dry salad with a burger in top of it easily. Or something similar. Remember when they had weight watcher restaurants. I'd like a whole30 restaurant please.

Food going fine. Frankly I'm going to toss the breakfast meatloaf I made. It looks like a dead fish. I've got to do some more cooking for me. I'm off Sunday and Monday so this is all good.

I ran the train off of the tracks today. No good reason. I'm back on as of right now. No guilt. Few regrets.

Well I imagine if I were to explore for the reason.....I'm sick. Home all day yesterday. Did not cook for me or shop for me leaving me woefully low on compliant foods. Worked today. Came home sicker. Needed comfort foods and chicken broth just did not do the trick.

I'll go out tomorrow If my dizzy is gone and get some good food in for me. The breakfast meatloaf languishing in my fridge makes me Sicker to look at it. Sorry. I'm tossing that. I'll make some real chicken soup. Maybe a beef meatloaf. Have to find my copy of Well Fed. I need help fast.

I'm sorry you are having a bad day and feel sick. Hope you feel better soon. I have to say I don't find any variety of meatloaf that appealing yet I keep trying them.  :rolleyes: I think this is a good time to make your very favorite compliant recipe. 

I made a regular beef meatloaf using shredded sweet potatoes instead of bread. It was dense but good. I'll try that again with more veggies inside and maybe lighten it up with whipped egg whites. Mostly I got sick and ran out of what I had cooked for myself and few options left.
That'll learn me a lesson to be better prepared.

I did a lot of cooking for me today sick or not. I won't get caught short again. Also sticking to my tried and true favorites. I will admit that if Ralph's had a pre packaged piece of carrot cake available I would have bought and inhaled it. But alas none. Well if I had gone to Pavilions they would have had it which is why I avoided Pavilions. LOL!

Eating out twice this week and I'm comfortable with what to order.

Not working till Wednesday. Staying home sick is always a hard time for me and food but with plenty of compliant things on hand I'll be fine.

Doing fine. Really fine. Still sick but managing.

I was surprised at the first day I was sick. I worked. Got home ravenous for anything off program. It was almost violent. I wonder if a moderator could chime in here. At weight watchers we talk about denying yourself things. Eventually you'll get to them big time. So we say have a treat now and then.

I know that here I'm changing my relationship with food. I did that with WW a long time ago and now I'm eliminating the things that cause problems. Like dairy and gluten and sugar. I understand the science. I believe the science.

I know I asked this question before but now it's a statement. I'm going to treat myself to something sweet. High quality sweet not crap. Not certain when but soon. In a controlled setting.

That violent ravenous need for sweets I had this weekend while sick and tired (sleepy) scared me. I think I can do one high quality treat and call it a day. I doubt I'll need more or do any permanent damage. LOL!

The problem was I was sick and had fallen down on my cooking food for me. There was nothing in the house and my husband was unwilling to help.

Remember. I'm keeping off a 133 lb weight loss. There is a lot of guilt associated with me going off of any program. Even momentarily. Plus I work for WW and have to look god all the time so I'm bound to put myself right back on program.

I not asking for permission to eat carrot cake. I'm just thinking out loud.

The short answer to your question is context matters.

My understanding from reading your logs (correct me if I'm wrong) is that you are still trying to complete 30 compliant days. Is that true? If it is than I would encourage you to complete that goal if for no other reason then to say you did it.

None of us here however live Whole365. If you didn't read the excellent articles recently on the blog about what Melissa eats (there are 3) I would highly suggest reading them. When I am not on Whole30 I try to stay reasonably close to the guidelines but when faced with non-Whole30 foods I consider my reasons and what my reactions might be and make a choice. My choices will be different than other people's because my context is different. If having a high quality sweet treat once and a while makes it easier and not harder than that is a good choice for you. Some people can't have just one thing without falling face first into a box of donuts.

Finally guilt isn't meant to be part of a Whole9 lifestyle or a Whole30. What we choose to eat has no moral implications therefore no guilt should be involved. Our choices make us more healthy or less healthy yes, but they are just choices. Removing the moral ties to these choices gives us more freedom in making them.

Thanks. I've probably gotten thru a whole 30 by now. I've been very very loyal. But that trip to NY and being sick stalled me. I think I'll start a whole30 Sunday. Not that I'll go nuts today. I just want it to start with breakfast. Plus I'm meeting my daughter Saturday for lunch. It's a tradition, we so rarely get time together. I'd rather plan a going off program than fall into it accidentally on purpose.

Sooner or later after a full 30 compliant days I'll choose a high quality sweet and get it out of my system. The important thing is I will then forgive myself and move on. This is good practice for me. I'm never likely to go face down in a box of donuts. I'm more likely to buy one and enjoy it but that's not high quality enough for me. Honestly.

I get it Physibeth. Thank you for the comment. Like I said this is me thinking out loud. Not necessarily acting.

Tried everything but had to resort to cough drops and cough medicine. I'm restarting Sunday anyway once I'm certain I'm better. I'm at work and cannot be hacking all over my members. Plus the coughing aggravates my asthma. I can't have this getting worse. Have to treat symptoms with more than tea.

Otherwise food going well.

Breakfast

Three HB eggs. One white extra. Carrots. Guacamole. On the run.

Lunch

Brisket with carrots. Onions and celery.

Dinner

Meatloaf. Sweet potato. Carrots. Guacamole.

I did a lot of cooking. Spiralized zucchini with shrimp. Yum. Baked and peeled and sliced six sweet potatoes. All set for the week. Cooked a TON of green beans. I eat those with compliant spaghetti sauce. Found some at pavilions saving me the trip to whole foods.

No cravings. I did not even check to see if pavilions had carrot cake. LOL!

DAY ONE!

I'm restarting today in a big way. Last night my daughter and I went out for sushi and it was a blow out. I feel fine this morning. We rarely get to do anything alone together. She writes for television and is very very career driven and busy. So when we get the chance we take it. I planned this and planned a restart today.

I might even sign up for the daily emails.

Breakfast.

Two eggs. Two egg whites with green beans, mushrooms, onions, peppers. Sweet potato medallions. Coffee.

Walked 1.8 miles. More tonight.

Lunch

Spiralized zucchini with shrimp and onions.

Dinner

Big green salad with strawberries. Cakes and beef patty. Compliant dressing. Coffee. Water.

Archived