AIP tomato less sauce!

Crock potting some "fauxmato" sauce for Whole30! This is my second time making the sauce, and the first time I made it, is was phenomenal. (Not saying that I don't miss tomatoes though...lol). I was desperate for a tomato - like sauce since being diagnosed with a nightshade allergy 2 years ago. I reluctantly gave into beets, and I was skeptical. This sauce rocks so much, even my kids can't tell it's not tomato sauce!

I added ground turkey to my sauce last time, but omitting it this time around. I can't wait to eat some with my Zoodles :).

post-43692-0-54939100-1398289844_thumb.j

Sure! 

http://thetastyalternative.com/2014/01/nightshade-free-roasted-veggie-pasta-sauce-scd-paleo-aip-gaps/

I didn't use the butternut squash either time (I think it probably gives the sauce a nice color and consistency, but I found the sauce good without it).  I also didn't roast my veggies.  I threw it all into the crockpot to meld together.  I Vitamixed the veggies all together until it was smooth, then pulsed in some extra for chunks.  If you add meat, add it after you've blended.  I let the veggies cook for 3 hours, pureed in Vitamix and returned to pot,  then added sauteed ground turkey and let it all cook together for the last hour (total time: 4 hours on high). 

I've also done chili like this :). (First picture, served over cauliflower "rice").  Second picture is the sauce on gluten free noodles (not Whole30 compliant, as this was pre-challenge).

post-43692-0-31545300-1398368896_thumb.j

post-43692-0-33351300-1398368908_thumb.j

Thanks for the recipe. I've been AIP for awhile, but my one 'cheat' was marinara sauce once in a while. However, I am having problems with my throat (from a long history of GERD), and I've been warned to stay on a low acid diet, so tomato sauce is totally out. I will try this.

I do have a spiralizer. I've only used it a few times so far ,but I like it.

Hi - I'm on day 6 of Whole30. I have chronic joint pain which has flared up the last couple of days. Have read that nightshades can affect joints, then I heard about the AIP. Oh and of course should I try the low histamine foods too? (Atopic, asthma, oral fruit allergies, hayfever)

How far should I go? Do I give it all up or do I do the whole30 and see where I go from there?

Thanks in advance!

• Moderators

Hi - I'm on day 6 of Whole30. I have chronic joint pain which has flared up the last couple of days. Have read that nightshades can affect joints, then I heard about the AIP. Oh and of course should I try the low histamine foods too? (Atopic, asthma, oral fruit allergies, hayfever)

How far should I go? Do I give it all up or do I do the whole30 and see where I go from there?

Thanks in advance!

I think the usual advice is start with a w30 first, and then if you don't get the results you want you can do further restrictions.

FeedMeRachel has a carrot ketchup :)

Nicola-la - I had huge benefits from cutting down nightshades and I had arthritis and joint pain, dairy, grains and nightshades are big triggers for me. I live without the first two now and minimise the nightshades (volume seems to be the key).

How do you think it would taste without the vinegar?  Since I am also doing low histamine the vinegar is out too.

I think it'll taste fine without the vinegar.  I think the purpose of it is to give the "acidity" of like you'd find in a regular tomato sauce!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived