Karen's Whole30 Log

Kmlynne

Day 84

Dare I say it? I felt a bit better today. One bad episode in the middle of the day for a few hours, then better!

M1: 3 eggs scrambled in olive oil, banana

M2: spaghetti squash with meat sauce

M3: salad with mixed greens, bell pepper, cucumber, chicken and tessamaes ranch dressing (small)

M4: 4 egg omelet with chorizo, onion, asparagus, guac and blueberries

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 85

Back to a small stretch of night shifts.

Slept 10 hours last night!  Wow!  Once I got up this morning, I took the dogs for a walk.  It took us longer than usual to do our loop since we stopped to do some geocaching.  Didn't get home until noon for breakfast (oops).  Not a huge big deal since I have to really space out my meals on my starting day of nights.

After breakfast, I cleaned up the kitchen, said a few words to my kids and went back to bed.  As much as I tried to nap, I only was able to doze off and on.  But, as it is almost the end of my night shift and I am still not too sleepy it must have been enough :D

M1:  4 eggs scrambled in bacon fat, 2 slices bacon, sauteed carrots and asparagus (cooked in bacon fat)

M2:  2 eggs fried in olive oil, chorizo sausage link, unsweetend apple sauce

M3:  salmon salad with homemade mayo and dill pickle relish, sliced cucumber, sweet potato

NO STOMACH PAIN!!!!!  Still some occassional tenderness (that kinda freaks me out waiting for the pain), but thats it.  I was talking to a couple of my doctors at work and the going theory right now....  Kidney stones!  Makes sense (why didn't I think of that).  I had some really bad stones about 5 years ago that presented with abdominal pain.  It would also explain the intense pain I had a couple days ago.  Whatever the reason, I am just glad that it seems to be over with! 

Day 86

A good day - at least as far as pain is concerned :)  (read none!!!!)  Sleep, however, is another story.....

A little late to bed because I was held over at work for a delivery.  Was sleeping like the dead (well, at least I was dead to the world) when my phone rang.  I automatically picked it up and it was the kids dad (X) going on about our daughter not being able to breathe and he needed the insurance card to take her to the doctor.  Well, once I recovered from panic mode (why tell someone their kid can't breathe?), it wasn't that big of an emergency.  Her tonsils were swollen again making her throat sore and hard to swallow.  She has very large tonsils and adenoids anyway and when they get inflamed they do tend to touch (which they were).  In the end, he brought her to my house, I looked in her throat, saw they were the same as the last time they swelled (and when the dr saw her) and we warded off an ER visit.  However, I will be having to take her back to the doctor on Monday when the office is open.

So, after three hours of sleep and all that drama, I was up for the day.

This did give me the opportunity to go to a baby shower that I had almost slept through :).  What fun! - esp. since the little man we were showering was 7 weeks old!  After the shower, I hit the grocery store and then went home to make meals for today and tomorrow.  DS now lives at home (has opted no to go to his dad's house at night when I work since he is now 18).  It is a bit of a change for me.  I guess I had gotten used to some "me" time when they were both gone.  Was thinking about what to make for dinner and decided meatloaf would be good for both of us - and give me extra in the fridge.  When I had come home this morning, I had 6 eggs left in the fridge.  I couldn't get ahold of my egg lady but knew that it would be enough for the meatloaf and two meals....  Well, when I got the meat, tomato paste, onion, mushrooms and herbs all mixed up (and the bacon ready to lay across it as it cooked), I reached for the eggs - there was only two.  DS had some for breakfast.  Since the meatloaf didn't get egg in it, it crumbled a bit when I sliced it - but it still tasted good!

Work tonight isn't too bad.  It looks like it will be busy enough to keep me going, but not so I am running my butt off :)

M1:  large mixed green salad with spinach, bell pepper, blueberries, cucumber, chicken and tessamaes ranch dressing. (before the shower)

M2:  (at work) meatloaf, acorn squash roasted with ghee, broccoli

M3:  (planned for later tonight)  2 sb eggs, 1 aidells chicken apple sausage, watermelon chunk, 1/4 sweet potato, baby carrots

Day 87

I can't believe that it has been 87 days since starting w30!  Amazing!

Today was kind of a crazy day.  After very little sleep yesterday due to being woken up, I was really tired when I got home from work.  The plan:  to shower and change and get to church.  Well, I made the mistake of sitting on the edge of my bed....  I must have then laid down because next thing I knew, my daughter was waking me up for the medical insurance card.  Yes, her tonsils are still swollen and her dad had to take her to the dr.  (Thought I had taken care of this yesterday - doesn't matter to him since I have to pay the medical bills....).  Anyway, the ER dr looked at her and gave her a prescription for an antibiotic for a "sinus infection" since she has postnasal drip...  (no pain, no stuffiness, no fever, etc).  *sigh*

Anyway, since I was up and awake, I went to church.  I decided to go out to lunch with the group after service, then went home for a nap before heading to work.  When I laid down again, I really didn't think I would get back to sleep, but I did.  When the alarm went off for work, I felt like I could have slept all night....  But I am feeling really good now.  We'll see how the night progresses :)

I had somewhat of an "ah ha" moment today.  When I was out at lunch, I was waiting for the waiter to bring back my debit card and was idly looking at my wallet.  My drivers license caught my eye....  OMG, I was fat!  The picture was taken back in 2011 when I was not as heavy as I was when I started trying to get healthy this year.  I had no chin (well, actually, the two or three that I had had all grown together into one big fat roll).  Now, when I look in the mirror, I have a chin and a neck!  Somehow I had gotten it in my head that not much was changing.  Unfortunately, I never took before and after pictures of my progress.  I am not wishing I had.  Maybe I will start at the end of this 90 days.  I still have about a hundred pounds to lose (give or take) so it will be good to see.

M1:  Smoky bones resturant:  angus burger patty, sauteed onion, lettuce, tomato, avocado, red onion and a white potato (welcome to w30 white potato)

M2:  at work:  meatloaf, acorn squash roasted with ghee, broccoli

M3:  later tonight:  2 sb eggs, 1 aidells chicken apple sausage, watermelon chunk, 1/4 sweet potato, baby carrots.

M2: 

Day 88

Great day today! I was knackered when when I got off work. Somehow I made it home and fell into bed. I didn't sleep terribly well, but enough. I was up at 130 and decided to go for a walk. The pups didn't come with me today and I missed having them. I walked about 2 miles (far cry from my usual 5 - 5 1/2) and found a couple geocaches. Home for a quick meal, packed a second and out the door with DD. (She still has swollen ugly looking tonsils, but other than that feels fine). Ran some errands and headed to the church. We are having Vacation bible School this week and DD is teaching the 8-10 year olds. A great evening. I had brought my dinner with me, avoiding the hot dogs and dump cake. One of our church members is bringing Asian for the workers tomorrow and asked especially if I would be there. I had to apologize and explain that I wasn't going to be able to eat what she brought. She was very understanding but I was disappointed. I love her cooking but it usually has some kind of soy in it.

So, it is almost 10 at night and I am not the least bit tired. I am watching Masterchef and debating if I should have a mini meal. I am not too hungry but know I should try to have something.....

M1: meatloaf, homemade mayo, apple

M2: salmon salad with homemade mayo and dill pickle relish, belly dance beet salad, cucumber slices, watermelon and a banana

While I was at my family reunion, my cousin was talking to me a bit about whole 30. Last week, she contacted me and is seriously going for it. I heard from her this weekend, and she had a rough start, but she is ready to begin again and rock it this time.

She sent me this picture - I think it says it all about how we feel at the beginning....

Good day today!!!!

Woke up at 930 am - over 10 hours of sleep! Had great plans to do a long walk today but just not feeling it. Work has called twice to see if I would come in, but (can you believe it) I said "no". I have been sitting at my computer for the last couple of hours, catching up with forum stalking :ph34r: , emails and the other websites I like to visit.

Had a great breakfast. Now I am feeling like I need to get out of the house and "do something" :rolleyes: . Just don't know what to do!

DD has been up twice for medicine, and I haven't seen DS at all. (Yes, it is almost noon). House is quiet.

M1: so glad to have my sweet potato hash back! Cooked with lard, olive oil and with a generous dollop of ghee at the end of cooking: Made with sweet potato, onion, pepper, mushrooms, cherry tomato and spinach. with one aid ells chicken apple sausage

-----------------------------------------------------

So, I ended up going for a walk and getting lost in the woods trying to find a geocache adding about an extra mile to my walk :). Home for a late lunch the to the church for bible school. Home again for a late dinner?

M2: chicken thigh, guacamole, steamed broccoli/cauliflower/carrots, belly dance beet salad, watermelon

M3: meatloaf, carrots and asparagus cooked in ghee, guacamole

Slept 10 hours last night!

Kind of a quiet day - had some errands to run and fires to put out.  A quick stop at work for my PI Project.  Bible school this evening.  Even had a couple hours this afternoon to prepare meals for my next two days at work.

DD is still struggling with her tonsils - despite antibiotics, they are getting worse - another dr appointment on friday.  But, bless her heart, she is still making it to bible school each night to teach.  I am proud of her.

M1:  Left over meatloaf crumbled and cooked with asparagus and bok choy, and guacamole

M2:  the rest of m1  :)  Realized midafternoon that I was hungry - had forgotten to have guac for lunch.  Holding on til dinner.

m3:  chicken thigh, belly dance beet salad, frozen broccoli/ carrot/ cauliflower mix, guacamole

Day 91

After a friendly reminder this morning (thx Brewer5!), I did my weights and measurements for the end of another 30 days.

First of all, I realized this week that the smaller scrubs that I had gotten into sometime during my 2nd whole30 (or maybe by the end of the first - I forget) are now getting loose. I was walking down the hall (in that brisk way nurses have) with my hands full and realized that they were falling down. Wouldn't have been pretty to find them around my knees/ankles :)

Secondly, I survived the third w30 - even with a family reunion/ roadtrip and a couple kidney stone (presumed). Pretty proud of myself!

Now, the measurements:

weight - 4.6 pounds

BMI - down 1.75!!!!

Bust - down 1.75 in

Waist - down .5 in

Hips - up .5?????

biceps - no change left, down .5 in right

Thighs - down .25in left, .5 in right

calves - up .25 in left, down .5in right (its hot - they swell)

Overall, not too shabby! (as my dad would say!)

Of course, the first thing that I thought was that I still have not hit that 50 pound lost mark (4.4 pounds to go). Somehow, I had it in my head that was where I should be. Realistically, I know that I shouldn't have expected that. After all, I still lost a pound a week. So, I will revel in my success and know that I will be at the 50 pound mark by the end of this next w30 - if not, there's always the one after that :D

Today - at work. I left 10 minutes early to find a geocache on my way. No walk today as I have to go directly to bible camp from work, then home to sleep for work tomorrow. The great thing about work is that I have 3 babies in our NICU!!!!!! I was in my element (yes, I love my job!)

M1: salad with bell pepper, raisins, coconut flakes and tessamae dressing: salmon salad with homemade mayo and cucumber slices (after eating half, I got busy with my babies and ended up packing the rest away. Might have it as a snack tonight)

M2: 3 sb eggs, 1/2 aidels chicken apple sausage, butternut squash with ghee and blueberries

M3: chicken thigh, guacamole, whole pack steamed brocc/cauliflower/carrots, mashed white potatoes (half potato/ half cauliflower - shhhh - don't tell the kids :rolleyes:

-----------------------

Got to church and was sooo hungry. Skipped all the nachos, chips, desserts and waited until I was home. Stir fried beef, carrots, onion and bell pepper, added scrambled eggs and guac.

Day 92

Work, then DD to Dr, then work, then bible school, to pharmacy to get. DD's new medicine, grocery store, a quick geocache, late dinner and now to bed. A long, full day.

M1: salmon salad with homemade mayo and cucumber slices, green salad with celery, raisins and coconut flakes (no dressing - it was still in the fridge at home

M2: 3 SB eggs, 1/2 aidells chicken apple sausage, guacamole, banana, 2 Brazil nuts

M3: quarter rotisserie chicken and a wing (was really hungry), frozen broccoli/ cauliflower/ carrots with guacamole

Day 93

Kind of a busy day but in a good way. DD needed bloodwork done for her upcoming surgery. While at the hospital, I stopped by my unit for my PI project. A stop at the dump, then onto the farmers market. I didn't find little young carrots so I went to the next local market. Fruit was in abundance at the markets today and I probably overbought. Will have to ration myself :). After I got all my food home, I gathered the dogs and we went geocaching. I didn't mapmywalk, but figured I got 2 - 2 1/2 miles in. After our walk, I stopped at my egg lady's to get my 4 dozen eggs for the week. Once home, I ended up taking an hours nap. Then I spent some time in the kitchen putting up a quart of green beans and a quart of carrots to ferment. I also made a couple quarts of quick dilly cucumber slices. Then I made dinner. Now, dishes are done and I am contemplating tomorrow :)

M1: diced potatos (white) with onion and pepper cooked in avocado oil, 4 eggs scrambled in ghee, guacamole

M2: chicken thigh, bag of frozen broccoli/ cauliflower/ and carrots, mashed potatos and cauliflower mix, guacamole

M3: 2 chicken thighs, mustard glazed carrots, spinach salad with celery/ raisins/ shredded coconut/ tessamaes dressing, peach slices cooked in ghee, beets, guacamole. - now that's a dinner!

I realized as I was making dinner and reaching for the potatos that I had already had them twice today. I will have to watch how often I eat them. Also, does anyone else have trouble finding frozen veggies without seasoning, sauces, etc. who knew it would be so hard to find frozen veggies.....

Day 94

Church day today with lunch out.  Went to a chinese food restaurant where they talked me into a chicken hot plate dish.  They understood "no soy" and no grains turned into "no gluten".  I tried to explain "only meat and vegetables - no sauce, no seasoning".  I ended up getting chicken that had some kind of curry rub on it.  Once I narrowed down the ingredients I was pleasantly surprised to find it was all compliant!  And absolutely delicious!!!  It will be my new "go-to" at this restaurant.

After church, I got DD home and she went right to bed (4pm).  I headed out to do a little geocaching (Im having alot of fun doing this and it gets me out and active) then home for dinner.  

M1:  dilled cucumber, carrot rapee, blueberry "tortilla" (an egg dish I saw the link to on someone else's log - not a fan and I wont make it again, it did have rave reviews though)

M2:  chinese:  curried chicken with scallions and mushrooms

M3:  1 1/2 chicken thighs, guacamole, normandie potato salad, dijon glazed carrots, nomnompaleos "watercress with seared prosciutto + peaches" but I subbed spring mix for the watercress and avocado oil for the olive oil - also coconut flakes for the pistachios....  guess it was my own thing :)

Day 95

Busy day with several errands. Also had a chance to go shopping at Costco with my mom. A quiet afternoon with the kids at home. Nice.

M1: 4 egg omelet with mushrooms, onions and peppers, guacamole

M2: 2 SB eggs, 1 chicken apple sausage, charentais canteloupe, beets, normandie potato salad

M3: broccoli, marinara sauce, meatballs, black olives, orange watermelon

Not quite sure what happened tonight. Thought I needed a snack, knew I didn't. Next thing I knew, I had od'd on coconut flakes and sun butter....... Oh my...... Not feeling too good now.......

Day 96  

Its the end of July and my doors and windows are open because it is cooler outside than inside....  this is unheard of, but I am LOVING IT!

Went for a walk today at a local park.  Got 7.5 miles in and found 6 geocaches.  Good day!

Once home, did just a little bit of cleaning and washed the dog.  Stopped for lunch, and then I will be drying, brushing and clipping said dog.  The beagle just might get a bath when I am done with the poodle :)

M1:  3 eggs scrambled in ghee, nectarine

M2:  huge mixed salad with green pepper, black olives, mushrooms, carrots, tomatoes, tessamaes dressing, 1 aidells chicken apple sausage

Snack:  so hungry this afternoon...  larabar and handful of cherries.  Not the best choice, but better than the chocolate bar I really wanted

When dinner rolled around, I was hungry once again.  Not quite sure what is going on.  Anyway, I couldn't decide what I wanted to make.  I really didn't want to cook anything, and didn't have anything fast.  Every suggestion I made, the kids shot down.  Their suggestions:  pizza, hamburgers and fries, chinese.  I almost gave in, then sent them to get what they wanted - but only if they brought me some chicken wings from the grocery store.  While they were gone, I threw together a spice rub from www.ruled.me.  On the wings it went, then they went on the grill.  As they were cooking, the spices smelled so good, but I thought I needed to temper the spice a tad and thought about a dip sauce.  Found a coconut almond cream sauce (coconut cream, almond butter and ACV) on www.paleofondue.com (it is the dipping sauce that went with the Bang Bang Shrimp - supposed to have chili sauce in it that I omitted since I didn't want more spice - I did have to double the almond butter because of it).  Oh my yummy goodness!  Thank you Uncle Google for your help!  

M3:  curry spiced chicken wings with coconut almond dip sauce, beet, dilled cucumber, dijon glazed carrots, kiwi

OK - so I know that I have been eating ALOT of fruit lately - found so much of it at the Farmers market.  Plus:  old habits.....  Usually during the summer, I do indulge in fruit, then slack off during the winter when it is more expensive (and less tasty).  I had forgone alot of my fruit over the last 3 months and I think it just caught up with me.  I also wonder if the increase fruit sugar intake has wakened my sugar dragon, leading me to crave more.....

For now, I am going to continue to eat the fruit that I bought - but try to keep it only to meal times (instead of snacking on it).  I am also going to be more aware that I have increased cravings and try to keep better choices readily available.  Also, I am going to push the fruit on the kids more!  In fact, I pureed the blueberries, blackberries and most of the strawberries with some coconut water to make popcicles for DD for after her tonsillectomy. :)

Just stopping in to say Hi, Karen!   Thanks for posting in my new blog.  I had a "fail" Sunday night and today is my birthday so dinner out.  I'm going to go ahead and restart tomorrow.  I'm so amazed at what you've done.  That is some commitment!

It doesn't look to me like you're eating excessive amounts of fruit, like you said, it's in season and delicious right now, so you've got to eat it while you can!  Ever tried peaches off season?  No thanks! 

Your meals are always inspirational, and I'm definitely looking up that sauce recipe.  Kudos for not giving in to take out with the kids!  I know that was hard.  :)

In fact, I pureed the blueberries, blackberries and most of the strawberries with some coconut water to make popcicles for DD for after her tonsillectomy. :)

Awww, I didn't catch that she was going to have to have her tonsils out.  This is a great idea.  ^  She'll love that!

Also, I just wanted to agree with you on the fruit... you've got that little voice telling you, and I'm glad you are listening to it.  ;)  Larabar may be "healthier" than a chocolate bar, and therefore Whole-30 compliant... but they are evil.  Don't let them become a regular part of your life.  They will take it over.  lol

Day 98

So, I missed a day logging for the first time on this journey (I think it was the first time...). Things kind of busy around here. I have just gotten DD home from her surgery. She is in quite some pain. Doesn't even want ice chips but she has to have cold things to keep the swelling down in her throat. Plus, she's 16.... Need I say more?

Yesterday, I was able to go for another long walk. Looked for 5 or 6 geocaches and only found one. That's how it goes sometimes. But it did help me go 7.5 miles :) Weather was beautiful again, but you could just feel the heat and humidity creeping back in. Then in the afternoon, picked up DD's post op prescriptions and got them filled. Church in the evening. We visited another local church and participated in their revival service. A lot of fun but made for a late night.

M1: 3 eggs scrambled in ghee, watermelon

M2: 1 aidells chicken apple sausage (no veg or fat - bad, bad, bad)

M3: 6 chicken wings (leftovers), dilled cucumbers, beet, watermelon, carrot rapee

Woke up this morning at 530 and found myself unable to get back to sleep. So, I headed out to grab a couple geocaches (its become an obsession) - quick easy grabs, no appreciable walking, then back home for breakfast. Finally got DD out of bed to take her for her surgery. Was truly expecting to be home with her before 2pm so I didn't pack anything to eat. Only available food was vending machines (I wasn't allowed to leave the building since DD is still a minor). Got her home about 330 and settled and had a quick mini meal. Sitting around in waiting rooms doesn't build an appetite that is for sure - and it is tiring!

M1: four eggs, guac, sauteed potatoes (with onion, pepper, mushrooms and spinach)

M2: meatballs, guac,charentais canteloupe

M3: pork loin chops, bag of frozen mixed vegies, sliced peach

Now just trying to stay up to give dd her pain meds at 10, then will be up at 2 am to medicate her again - going to be a long night

Day 99

Long night last night with DD getting up every 4 hours to give her pain meds.  Found it hard to get back to sleep after getting up (multiple times).  Even with doing this, she was having a bit more pain this morning.  Nontheless, she went to her father's this afternoon (his weekend to have her) and I am back on nights at work.

Snack:  canteloupe, meatballs

M1:  salad (spring mix, bell pepper, tomato, tessamaes dressing), 2 aidells chicken apple sausage, dill pickles

snack:  cherries

M2:  4 sb eggs, frozen mixed vegies, carrot sticks and guacamole

M3:  pork chop, frozen mixed vegies, applesauce, dilled cucumber

It is 3 am and I am starting to feel very tired - it will be good to hit my bed with no kids at home!

Archived