Exhausted, help!!

I just finished Day 7 and I am still horribly exhausted. I have skipped morning workouts as I am too tired to get up before work and to tired to do it after work. I have also had daily headaches for the last seven days. I am not sure if this is to be expected or if I am not eating correctly. Please help!

Exhaustion is typical, and so are headaches. I hope you are drinking enough water.

If you'd like help with what you are eating, it would be good to post a log of what you eat in a typical day.

• Moderators

We have had this conversation already on your day 4. I told you to eat more and to eat more starchy veggies. You replied asking if you should do that if you want to lose weight. My original comment stands, I think you are not eating enough. No one has a solution to make you headache-free and energetic if you don't eat enough. 

Many people fail at weight loss because they think they have to be hungry or restrict calories, fat, or - in the Paleo world - carbs to lose weight. It ain't true. I lost weight steadily through my Whole30 eating two sweet potatoes per day. In hindsight, I was eating too many for my activity level, but it did not stop me from losing weight. My workouts suffered for the first two weeks anyway as my body adjusted to burning fat as its primary fuel, but I never suffered the way you are reporting. Please just trust me on this point and eat more starchy veggies. 

I have upped my carb intake and am still exhausted to the point that I am having difficulty wanting to continue with whole 30.

At 7am I have a 4 egg omlette with chicken, peppers, onions, mushrooms. Salsa and avocado on top and a side of butternut squash.

Between 12-130pm I have 3 turkey/beef meatballs with brussel sprouts made with bacon and almonds and sweet potato mash. Typically for dinner is some form of meat (chicken, fish, or steak), asparagus, brussel sprouts, and sweet potato mash. Some days I will throw in a salad with homemade dressing to get in extra oil and veggies. I am not really sure where I can increase my food intake. The majority of the time I can make in on three meals and I am not hungry before the next meal time. I have no control over the time I eat my lunch due to the nature of my job so days that I can't get to lunch until after 2 I have to eat a snack. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

I get between 6.5- 7.5 hours of sleep and I drink at least 100 ounces of water a day. I tend to be a high stress person normally but I wouldn't say anymore than usual. The most upsetting thing to me is the lack of energy I am having. I am usually a jump out of bed with the alarm person and I get going. Now I just want to lay around.

I came to the Whole30 routinely getting 6.5 hours of sleep, 7 on a good night, and I was exhausted through at least day 21 (I remember, because I posted a very similar question on day 21!). I was sleep-deprived, even though I wouldn't have told you that before - I thought I was okay. I would try to get 8 hours of sleep for a few nights in a row and see how you do. Your food sounds pretty good to me, as long as the amounts are roughly in line with the template.

I had a constant headache from day 5-10 (at least, maybe longer).  I felt lethargic, cranky and generally yucky.  I think I was going through sugar withdrawal.  It goes away.  Just keep at it.  I sent a text to a friend that went something like this "This diet is SO not for me, it sucks!"  But I kept at it because I wanted to support my husband in his efforts.  I'm really glad I did.  I came out the other side feeling SO much better.  I can't believe how bad I ate before and how much it impacted all aspects of my life.  Just wish I had done this sooner!

Good luck and hang in there.

NurseO'Brien - I am on day 11 right now, so if my maths are right we're on the same page.

I feel your pain with the headaches and the tiredness, I totally felt it too. I'm hoping since you haven't posted in a while that you have battled through it and are feeling a bit better, I know I am feeling a lot less groggy than I was earlier in the week. Sweet potato made a lot of difference to my mood and really makig sure that I drink as much water as possible...and getting some fresh air! not being a gym, in the house, in the office, in the house and all over again everyday...I've started just going for a nice casual walk during my lunch hour to really take in some fresh air..clears the head and the mind and beats away any niggling headaches or groggyness :)

Keep at it, it's my first W30 but I am trusting the prgoramme for the benefit of the results :)

Thanks everyone. I added more carbs and I am definitely feeling much better. I am not exhusted. I have not quite hit my tiger blood but I have a lot more energy. My bloating is gone and I actually walked into work today much happier than normal so I would say my mood is improving.

Archived