May 5th start

Kage

Second time around, interesting. I am very sad that I don't feel like I'm losing weight, but my pain level is so much lower it drives me forward. I'm not adhering faithfully to the 3 meals and I know I really need to do that to end the emotional eating that is driving my overeating which is probably leading to my lack of weight loss.

Miki

Geminimik- I feel the same exact way!! This is round 2 for me and I am not feeling the same I felt the first time around. My eczema has improved but not gone as prior.

Went out for dinner to Bj's yesterday and ordered grilled Mahi with veggies, when I took a bite I also ate some cream sauce with it, they had added a little sauce on the bottom of the fish. I had politely asked the waiter no sauce and gluten free, I didn't notice it because I was too busy yapping as I cut into my fish. I scrapped the rest off and did not eat all the way through the fish after that.

Its disappointing because I am now re-bloated and my eczema flared overnight. I will continue but will add the extra days.

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Dave Happy Birthday, have a grrrrrrrrrrrrrreat day!

@AuburngalNC, good job not being tempted by that pizza.

@ Gabenick, I have not ventured to eat out yet, sorry to hear about the sauce and your reaction.

@Miki, I am jealous, I wish it was going to be 100 degrees here, I woke up to 0 degrees :( 

I started May 5th and thought I was doing well because I was making my own dressing.  Then I read that Dijon mustard was no good.  Do I have to start over?

Depends on the Dijon mustard. What is the ingredient list. I use one that is completely compliant.

Auburngal- Amazing job bringing your own food to church! Pizza is totally my weakness...good thing I moved to Kentucky where there's not any decent pizza ;). Post-whole30, I love the domestic man's grain-free crust recipe:http://thedomesticman.com/2012/12/13/cast-iron-skillet-grain-and-gluten-free-pizza/

Donna and whoever else may be looking for recipes, I had a lot of fun finding recipes on pinterest last night, and the stalkerville whole30 board is pretty big: 

http://www.pinterest.com/chowstalker/whole30/

Also, I've trying to find inspiration from non-whole30 sources- I really like the "Jerusalem" cookbook by Yotam Ottelenghi and have found a couple recipes I can adapt for whole30:

http://www.ottolenghi.co.uk/recipes

My family gets together for dinner every Sunday and we take turns hosting so for my dinner I'm hoping to make:

Lamb Kofta: http://stupideasypaleo.com/2013/05/29/lamb-kofta-meat-on-a-stick/

Spinach salad with dates and almonds (without pitas): http://www.lottieanddoof.com/2012/10/baby-spinach-salad-with-dates-almonds/

and Marinated eggplant with Tahini: http://www.yumsugar.com/Marinated-Eggplant-Tahini-32001938

a real feast! I'll probably serve with olives and maybe a light cucumber salad with cherry tomatoes. 

Dave- Happy Birthday!!!! You are way, way younger than my dad, but I wish so badly I could convince him to do a whole30- I know he would appreciate your approach (he would not make ketchup from pinecones and dirt, haha I loved that). 

It's so cool so many other people are thinking of extending their whole30 into a whole45 or so. My one GIANT concern is that we are planning a trip to PA and I'll be staying with 2 sets of inlaws. I feel very nervous about insisting on eating a certain way, even if I do alot of the cooking myself... I think in general people will be accomodating but it feels kind of judge-y and diva of me. However, I know I will be looking and feeling my best by then, so maybe they will understand! Maybe I could talk to my mother in law about it in advance and we could plan meals together? Her husband is a very picky eater but I think we could grill meat and veggies and everyone would be happy. 

I probably meant to reply to more people but I forget who. So I hope everyone has a really great day. Almost 2 weeks, guys! 

Good morning -- the weird food dreams started for me.  First, I dreamt of sparkly, blue cake pops.  Sparkly like they had deep blue sequins on them.  As if one would ever really look like that!   :P  They looked so yummy though.  I woke up before I ate one.  

Then, last night it was all about me arguing with my mother on where to NOT eat.  I really dislike buffets as a rule anyway; in my dream she wanted me to eat at a buffet and I kept saying no so then she suddenly says, "FINE -- we will eat at the most expensive wine house in the world then!"  So weird.  On the other hand, she has many hang ups about food and gets upset when I refuse to eat food she has made.  One time when I was faithfully doing weight watchers (and she knew it!) she actually made me a cheesecake (my very favorite dessert ever).  So maybe the second dream makes sense. 

So now I'm on day 11/2, depending on how you look at it.  I feel pretty good; but I still have joint pain.  I'm hoping that part starts to get better soon.  I feel nice and alert and not tired -- very much a victory for me!  

Hope everyone has a fantastic day!

Jamie

Whew! great reads! I have been a stalker as of late. Letting myself mull over things. It's day 15 for me. The newsletter every morning has been a help. Im always asking myself is this normal? I read through the forum section on: can I eat this and got some of my questions answered about balsamic vinegar (sulfites), how much is too much fat ? and about eating nuts. It was very informative. 

Jamie, I can truly relate to that stupid carrageenan!! It would all be so good if only...back to the drawing board AGAIN! I love hearing about your food dream. I haven't had any but that was good. 

AuburngalNC, Way to go on the pizza situation. I feel the same way about dairy. I know how it is going to make me feel so I can not indulge the pain it is not worth it!! I guess that is what I am looking at in my future.

I am still feeling some joint pain but it has definitely  lessoned. Yesterday I was able to carry my heavy grocery bag without feeling like my elbow was going to rip apart!!

Dave, Happy Happy Birthday  :D Love hearing your to the point, encouraging posts. I am feeling the scale withdrawal, never thought I would!! I am remaining steadfast. We are going on our first camping trip of the year any snack suggestions?? I think I'll be okay for meals but I'm a little nervous about having good energy snacks when we go hiking. 

Miki, I am so proud of you for making mayo!! Funny telling too. I make this about every other week!! I love it. Hence the question, how much is too much fat. I read people were adding in a teaspoon to their egg and tuna salads. I have been adding 2 tablespoons!! It is wonderful to not have to use lowfat mayo (yuck)!! and skimp on the amount. But I think maybe I will cut back a little  ^_^  I was worried because as of yesterday I was still feeling bloated but today I finally feel like I maybe losing some inches. I agree everything tastes so much sweeter even strawberries yesterday were too sweet. I was reaching for the cucumber slices and jicama. BTW  this sauce http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2009/07/21/sunshine-sauce/ from Well Fed is GREAT with jicama!! Easy to make too. 

Gabenick2, Thank you for sharing your story about eating out. I have been scared to eat out just for this reason. Even at farmers markets asking if the sausage has sugar in it, people answer you and then give you a funny look. I had an omelet, in a restaurant with crab and avocado thought I was doing just fine until days later my nose was still runny and stuffing and I was complaining about it. My husband read in the dining guide that the restaurant might have put milk in with their eggs! So disappointed  :( . Then I decided to remove nightshades from my diet too. So I am thinking I may be adding on another 15 days  to my w30 to be really sure of a clean reboot. 

Blue grass mama, Way to cook!! Love all your cooking ideas and recipes. I too peruse the internet for whole30 recipes and post them to my Whole30 pinterest board!! :P Definately talk to your mother in law before hand for planning ahead, she will appreciate it. Also everyone (secretly) loves when you let out your inner diva!! Plus they will see how your doing and may be interested in how and what you are doing. 

May the force be with you all, thank you for listening!!  :wub:

Thanks to everyone for the birthday wishes. We celebrated it last Sunday along with mother's Day since our oldest was home from college. I spoiled myself that day by eating a piece of cake (don't throw anything at me) and I felt sick for at least 24 hours....no kidding! I would have to say that my body had cleansed pretty significantly on my first go around so I dont think it knew how to handle the home made icing (dont throw anything at me.)

Bluegrass, I can honestly say I feel better now than I have in the past 5 years and hope you can convince your father to try the program. I have several ladies I work with that are now doing their first Whole 30 and doing a great job. I must admit, I am TRYING much harder to be very "pure" with the program this time around and have even begun finding sugar free meats, etc. I was very happy with my results the first time around and want to be able to say that I did the program "as prescribed" and did not deviate. I am kind of doing the program still, but will probably be able to start a full blown 2nd go around within the next two weeks. I want to make sure that I have everything (food wise) that I will need and a little more time to gather dirt and pine cones for the ketchup.

Marita - For snacks I like cashews, grapes, and mandarin oranges. My wife almost fell over when she saw me packing for the camping trip. She had never seen me pack anything other than hotdogs, beer, and Fritos/Cheetos/Doritos/Pringles/Bugles (dont throw anything at me). Proud of you for ignoring the scale. My wife told me I should just throw it away but its new, cool looking, and it tells me everything from water %, body fat, weight, shoe size, what not to wear out to dinner so the wife doesn't get mad, when to re-order new checks, correct ratio of dirt and pine cones for perfect ketchup, when my mother expects me to call.....well, maybe not everything. But it also looks like it could be a transporter like on Star Trek......so I'm keeping it.

Auburn - thank you and you are welcome. I hope I am helping.

Miki - You mention body aches alot. Were you in an accident or are you a full time stunt woman/daredevil who is not very good at their job? Did you not quite make the jump across the Snake River Canyon? (old Evil Knievel reference). I am a retired sailor (23 years) and have many body pains from Anthrax while serving during the Gulf Wars. I can say that many of my joint problems have diminished significiantly since doing the Whole 30 program (Whole 30 should send me a free autographed book for as much as I preach this program). The Anthrax has caused degenerative joint issues and much of the pain and problems come from swelling of these areas. It appears that reducing the carbs and increasing the water (because I thought I was turning to dust) has made a very noticable difference in my joint health. I hope your pains continue to lessen and you continue to feel healthier as you move thru the final days of your 1st W30 program.

Jlmathis......sparkly blue cake pops? I'm not sure if LSD or other mind altering drugs are allowed with the Whole 30 program. Most expensive wine house in the world? Are you looking for the 12 step program forum? hahaha....just kidding. If you need the directions to the most expensive wine house in the world, I'm sure my wife can give you directions. She loves cooking with wine.....and sometimes she actually puts it in the recipe! I do recall having food dreams too. The only weird one I really remember was craving "blondie" brownies, the ones with the butterscotch chips in them, (dont throw anything at me). the weird part is I havent had one of those in years and I dont even think I cared for them.

Dave

Just jumped on the sauce band wagon and have ordered some dressing and marinades from Tessemae's....can't wait for the ranch and the ketchup to arrive! I made meat loaf and put tomato past on the top last week but it just wasn't as good as Ketchup!!! As I continue on this journey to health I am hoping I can experiment more and make some more of my own sauces, but for now I will take the easy approach for my first whole30/whole45...or whenever I decide to stop...LOL...and use others' and of course my home made olive oil mayo. :)

Cucumber salad sounds awesome and I love cucumbers so I will definitely be trying that one!

I had my first crazy food dream last night. I spent what seemed like forever trying to explain to some random person the ratio of fat, protein and veggies that needed to be in my meal. I woke up just thinking "WTF?!"

I'm not sure why I have muscle and joint pain exactly. I'm diagnosed with Arthritis, Vitiligo and a couple of other things, but I believe they are all manageable. In the past two months I started suffering from more severe muscle pain. I'm not crazy, but I do play tennis with young people, have a trainer, workout at a gym, practice yoga and bikram yoga when I have time. I ask a lot of my body and of recent it has revolted. My left hip is bad, left knee etc. I've been at no exercise for a month but will have to start back soon. I've had bone issues since about 21 and honestly, staying active helps more than babying it, until just recently. I'm assuming my body hit the age where it is just over full. 

Dave, I too look forward to being fully prepared and set up before my next or continuing (I can't imagine stopping at this point) whole 30. Today is my first day being religious about no snacks, so am really looking forward to lunch in about an hour.

I too am going to treat myself to some real sauce Auburn and maybe some meat too.

Uh....yeah. They are thrilled, I'm sure. Yes, I'm a comedian. My wife says when I open the fridge at night and the light comes on I do ten minutes of stand-up. She wants me to take it on the road ......ANY road!

I was hoping for a nice birthday dinner tonight but I am stuck in my Corporate Finance class to finish up my Masters Degree. ..........boring! Have a great evening and "keep your eye on the prize". Remember....."skinny people look good in clothes.......fit people look good naked!" Hahaha

@Marita- you really think everyone secretly loves my inner Diva? Haha I don't know! I have trouble fitting in as it is with extended family sometimes... But thanks for the encouragement, I think when it gets closer to our visit I'll talk to my mother in law. 

Had a great day and was able to work in my garden a lot- planted zucchini, yellow squash, watermelon, okra, green beans, corn, eggplant, butternut squash and already have tomatoes, strawberries, cucumbers, onion, sweet potatoes and a couple white potatoes in! 

I am not a confident gardener but I'm really going for it this year! I figure I'll learn from my mistakes and if I'm able to save some money on all the produce I've been buying lately, that'd be great :)

I also put a little herb garden in off my front porch. 

I have 6 chickens and really want to get pigs and maybe a cow, (we live on 20 acres). I'm interested in beekeeping, pickling, canning and charcuterie. If I figure all this stuff out, I'll be able to eat whole30/paleo and live off a lot of what I've raised myself! 

I'm encouraged, I made my first day with no snacking and no 4th meal. For the record, I would rather starve than eat fish and broccoli, so there you go.

I had to throw my garlic powder out today as Lawry's appears to add partially hydrogenated soybean oil to their garlic powder. I'm still not giving up,  but I'm clear that this 30 days will never count as my first whole 30...but I'm encouraged anyway. Someone today asked me if I had new makeup because my skin looks so good. Happily, or sadly, depending on the way you look at it, my diet was so bad, that even with my setbacks I'm still feeling much better. When I conquer the snacking, and get my portion size more normal, I think it will make a huge impact.

I'm very grateful to feel so much better. Now I just need to start exercising again without injuring myself...wish me luck!

MamaMiki

Miki - congrats on the skin compliments and your first "no snacking /4th meal day"! Its all easy now.

Bluegrass - do you compost? A garden really takes off when you put down compost. Make sure you dont let the deer come in and mow it down in one night. I grew up on a pig farm in Illinois and they can be quite a mess and a handful. Make sure you are ready if you want to bring them on the farm. Cows, sheep, and goats are pretty low maintenance.....pigs...not so much. Good luck.

Dave

Good Morning to All !

Wow.... @bluegrass, good luck in growing..... I usually plant tomatoes, peppers, zucchini.... I have planted beans but we have bunnies and they ate off all the tops one year, we put a fence, they made a hole..... this year I am going to try some  different squashes and let see what happens.

@Miki, I also am getting compliments on my skin..... it feels great to know that something is working with all of this and I 2nd the congratulations  about no snacking.

One big reminder is read your labels, if anything that is what I am finding extremely fascinating..... is how much sugar is in everything. I made coconut shrimp (thanks @Auburn!)  last night and could not find my sea salt container so I grabbed the table salt container (good thing it was still in the package and not a salt shaker) and yet again something said read the label, well who would have thought that there was sugar in it, well there was... and then I thought I better read my sea salt container after it was found and it said only sea salt... phew another near mishap!

@Auburn, let us know how all the sauces taste once you get them!

@Jamie, I have not had any food dreams but every time I see blue sequins I am going to think about cake pops!

@Dave, like you I have a few coworkers thinking about starting the Whole30

Have a wonderful day everyone and a great weekend!

We are finally going to get some nice weather here or at least that is what they are saying ..... YAHOO !

We are almost half way there! :lol:

@Dave - you are so funny!  I used to think I needed a 12 step program for my eating style.  This plan has pretty much freed me from snacking and from late night food binges.  I wonder what the wine house was about -- I don't drink alcohol and neither does my mom.  I guess dreams can be weird though.....  No weird ones last night to report.  

@DonnaR -- every time I see blue sequins I'm going to think of cake pops too.  LOL!  It makes me laugh to think of the dream.  

Day 12 - I was exhausted last night for some reason.  I feel pretty good today though; I'm off to a class to learn how to make or adopt rules.  Seems like, being a mom and former gymnastics coach -- i would know about rules already. hahaha!  But, this is how to make rules that pertain to state progams (I work for Wyoming OSHA.....).

:-)

Keep up the great work everyone!

Jamie

Okay 5/5s,

You all have too much energy for me, seriously.

Today I got up a little earlier and ate breakfast at home. I was really hungry, maybe from eating so late last night but whatever. My ultimate goal is to eat my last meal by 6 pm. I usually don't get home till 7...hopefully that won't keep me at work later.

I'm also a bed eater. I like to drink coffee in bed in the am and eat snacks/dinner at night so I'm in the process of breaking that habit. Last night I ate dinner at the table and this am I had dinner at the table.

I would like Pig updates and pictures of them too. This I gotta see. I feel a dog coming on at my house, it is overwhelming, but will probably be the best thing that ever happened to me.

I would so love to have a garden, that sounds amazing.

Okay kids, my lunch and dinner are prepared if I want to eat the same. Otherwise, I may rush home early and fry up porkchops and potatoes for kids (sweat pots for me) and throw in some brocolli for good measure. If the doc lets me today I will start back at the gym with the boys, that will be fun.

Make it a great day....Water.

Sassy the backyard squirrel is stealing birdfood, I guess I better buy some peanuts for him.

miki

Keep going guys! I am on Day 15 so halfway, 100% compliant so far but not gonna lie, I'll be glad when it's over! I eat a paleo diet anyway but I am missing my paleo treats like banana bread etc.

Maybe I am the only weirdo who prefers my beloved Hellmanns mayo over the homemade stuff? I know Hellmanns has sugar in there too.

LouH - have u tried making mayo from lawn clippings, ear wax, and bug spray (the kind withour sugar..of course)? Glad to hear you are doing well. Kepe up the good work.

Miki - tough love time. In my opinion, it sounds like you are getting ready to juggle waaaayyyyy too many things at once. This is not a problem for a freak such as myself (if I sit still I think I would dissolve), but with the Whole 30, your job, kids, ailments, etc......do you really want to try and throw in going back to the gym (who's this Gym guy I'm always hearing about?) AND bringing a dog into the house?  

Glad you ate breakfast at home and hopefully you can continue to eat your dinners around 6 pm. You are kicking but on resisting snacking (which is awesome...2 gold stars and a smiley face for yesterday). Here is a suggestion from reading your comment "I'm also a bed eater".....I have never eaten a BED and don't know much about their nutritional value (or if they contain sugar)but that might be part of your problem. Use it for sleeping/resting only.

Question for everyone! How is everyone feeling as far as sleep, and energy levels? What have you noticed as a change? Skin, how clothes fit, allergies, acid reflux, compliments, urges? Would like to see if people are having small successes but have forgotten to look for them and might not have realized that they are happening.

It appears my work here is done, must go save a train falling from a bridge..........

dave

Archived