Help! Salt has become my new sugar!

Hello!

I'm searching for some help! I know that feeding my sugar dragon with fruit causes her to rage; however, lately I feel like I have been using unreasonable amounts of salt on pretty much everything. I mean, everything. I salt my salad.... not joking. 

That said, I'm searching for some help to break my salt addiction. I'm on my 3rd Whole30 and I think old habits are sneaking up on me. I think I followed the template more faithfully my first round and I experienced amazing results. On this third round, I think I've been sabbotaging myself with dried apricot (with meal) and shaking salt on everything. 

Any advice is appreciated! 

I salt my food pretty liberally as well. The guidelines say this is fine, since we cut out added salt in processed food during a Whole30. What is an "unreasonable amount of salt" to you?

Beets, thank you. I need tough love on the dried fruit. I am on Day 14 and the dragon is more active than Day 3....bad sign, I know. 

Glen, I haven't been measuring, but my husband literally gags when he eats the side of the roasted veggies that I salt. 

Thank you both.

My own, nonexpert opinion? Barring any health problems, you cannot salt too much on a Whole30. You're mouth will just not allow you to eat truly over-salted food; you would gag, like your husband. The only reason we ingest too much salt in a standard diet is it is blended into processed foods so that we hardly taste it. I think you're taking in a lot of salt (and apparently not flinching) because you actually need it at this point. 

But take my opinion with a (ha, ha) grain of salt until we hear from the pros.

We had a discussion at work once about foods we "couldn't live without". The others said things like potatoes and bread. I said salt. I would be very very sad if I couldn't have salt on my cucumber sticks, hard boiled eggs, sweet potato, everything...

I salt my salad.  More specifically, I use herbamare on my salad, which is a mixture of salt & herbs.  I salt my meat, my veggies, my eggs...   Now, if you were salting your fruit, I may think that odd.  However, my dad always salted watermelon...  :D

Dried fruit is not something I eat anymore -- even when I am just "eating Paleo" -- let alone on a Whole 30.  I have learned it is one of those triggers for me, it makes me not feel good, it is "food with no brakes".  As it says in the book, your Dragon screams for sugar and you gave it sugar.  It does not care or know if it is from a Snickers bar or from dried fruit.  If you truly want to slay the dragon, I'd say keep on salting your foods... but ditch the dried fruit.  ;)

Good luck!

Salt cravings can be a result of adrenal fatigue or low thyroid.  In fact, my doc reminds me often to make sure I eat enough salt, so I even sprinkle some salt in my drinking water.  But make sure it's good quality salt - Himalayan or Celtic sea salt - not sodium chloride.  It's probably the trace minerals your body is craving, not the sodium, so if you keep adding sodium chloride you aren't satisfying the real craving and your body will keep asking for more.  You could also try mineral drops like Concentrace, which is a concentrated form of all the minerals in sea water except the sodium.

When you are doing a whole30 you aren't eating anything with added salt, therefore you have to salt everything you eat. You may feel like you are adding too much salt but you probably aren't (unless you are salting apple slices then maybe you have a problem).

Look at the ingredients of some of the stuff you used to eat like Soy Sauce. There are 700+ mg per tsp of salt in soy sauce. There are 900+ mg in Gluten Free soy sauce. There are about 113 mg in Coconut Aminos. Check out spaghetti sauce, cheese, pizza, etc. If you ate any of this before your whole30 you were eating too much salt. 

I agree with the above posts, get some good quality salt and salt away. 

This was my first time posting and what a joy to hear I should keep on salting away! Wonderful news!

I'm also considering limiting my fruit intake to 1 piece of fruit a day. I know this is doable since I didn't really eat fruit on my last whole30. I caved last night and stepped on the scale.... I know that I need to give the program time. I also need to heed my own advice as I just told my girlfriend who is doing this not to get impatient. I am a believer in the process and I know it works....

...that said, I'm gained 6 lbs in 15 days. I need to rethink fruit and my fat portions and start doing a true Whole30. If not, what is the point!??!

All of your posts made me think, and I really appreciate that!

This was my first time posting and what a joy to hear I should keep on salting away! Wonderful news!

I'm also considering limiting my fruit intake to 1 piece of fruit a day. I know this is doable since I didn't really eat fruit on my last whole30. I caved last night and stepped on the scale.... I know that I need to give the program time. I also need to heed my own advice as I just told my girlfriend who is doing this not to get impatient. I am a believer in the process and I know it works....

...that said, I'm gained 6 lbs in 15 days. I need to rethink fruit and my fat portions and start doing a true Whole30. If not, what is the point!??!

All of your posts made me think, and I really appreciate that!

It may be helpful to you to keep a log of your meals here.  

My family has been on the Paleo journey for 1.5 years now, but I could have made some better choices along the way... and I have learned from every mistake -- every bump in the road.  I am doing my first actual Whole 30 now, and I think it really DOES help me stay focused on the goal, to know I am going to log my food here each night.  I am on Day 5 and really proud of how well I have done with this so far.  There is something very rewarding for me about {sitting here, full and satisfied} seeing 3 solid meals at the end of the day, and typing out foods that I am not embarassed to share with the world.  Not a bunch of snacking to report, no guilt-ridden trips through a drive-through.  It's all there in black-and-white -- and I am a very honest person, so if I screwed up, you can bet I'd admit it.  ;)

As far as getting on the scale... well, darn it, you know you're not supposed to... BUT, maybe it was needed for you to be honest with yourself?  Maybe you haven't been getting enough sleep, maybe you've been under some extra stress, maybe you've not been getting enough exercise/activity/relaxation...  Only you know the answer to these questions, but I say figure out where you think things are going wrong, and start fresh.  Re-commit and have a new Day 1 if you need to.  You've got nothing to lose by starting over!  That just gives you more days to work on new habits and to feel even better.  :)  

Take care & good luck!

When you are doing a whole30 you aren't eating anything with added salt, therefore you have to salt everything you eat. You may feel like you are adding too much salt but you probably aren't (unless you are salting apple slices then maybe you have a problem).

Ha! I salt my apple slices -- when I'm refrigerating them to keep them from browning.

I put olives on my salad to make it salty because I'm used to bottled salad dressing and now I just drizzle oil, lemon and spices. I do find I am craving less salt at my whole 30 goes on. Sugar dragon is long gone too. My pizza dragon is still there though!

I put olives on my salad to make it salty because I'm used to bottled salad dressing and now I just drizzle oil, lemon and spices. I do find I am craving less salt at my whole 30 goes on. Sugar dragon is long gone too. My pizza dragon is still there though!

The pizza dragon will always be with us.

Archived