Cheat 'coupons'??

Day 28 here... in the home stretch. I'm just thinking of how I'll handle going off plan once I'm done. I found the restrictions of the whole 30 really helpful since they were black and white, but obviously I miss a few foods and hope to enjoy them again at some point.

I know they say that you shouldn't have set 'cheat days' because the encourage you to cheat even when you're not in the mood for it. But I considered the idea of 'cheat coupons' that can be cashed in at any time during the month and carried over. The kind you cash in when you want to have a piece of birthday cake or restaurant meal or bit of chocolate because you REALLY want to, but limiting the number would make you think twice about going off plan for any little thing. Also the idea of carrying them over if unused after a month might be good for the times when you don't have anything big going on vs the month you have 3 birthdays to celebrate within 2 weeks or something.

Anyone think this would be a good idea?

I like it, especially if you think there's a chance you'll go seriously off the tracks once "forbidden" foods are back on the table.  I've found that many of my Whole30 diet changes stuck (if you are what you eat, I'm now 80% sweet potato) but I'd probably go off-roading less frequently if I knew there were a limited number of times I could do it.

Well for me the hardest was missing out on food at social events so these times would be limited to probably twice a month. I wouldn't want to waste them either at home or at something I didn't really love just in case something better came along!!! 

I'm not sure of how many, I guess it depends on the person. you chould map it out during a clear headed time when you're not hungry. I'm not sure if they would mean a whole meal or a single item. Maybe a full meal could be worth 2 coupons?

I imagine you're going to go by how you feel after you "cheat." I think what's important is to forgive yourself and move on. Even a planned cheat. No guilt. If it does not taste as good as you expected after two bites? The third won't be any better.

But enjoy.

Apologies in advance, I am coming with best intentions and by no means I have it all figured out in my food life. These coupons look not much better than calculating calories, points or gramms. You are working so hard to learn to listen to your body's needs (template is quite flexible

In terms of portions, right?) yet trying to squeeze yourself into another quantified norm. There is a great tool which has been created already, it is a map to off-roading (sorry, can't post a link from the phone). Use it every single time you think you want to eat off plan.

Also, I hope moderator will chime in. I might be pulling off a grumpy veteran here.

Best of luck to all.

I have to agree with Nadia and Miss Mary on this. I would also like to speak to the entire concept of "cheating". The big lightbulb for me when I went Paleo and did my first W30 is that the choices I make about food are not moral choices. I'm not being good or bad when I make a choice...I'm just making a choice. Some choices are healthier for me and some are less healthy. The whole idea of cheating kind of puts a little danger and rebellion into the food choice equation that really doesn't need to be there. Once you know how different foods effect you you can use the awesome flow chart in the post Miss Mary linked to make decisions in your every day life. When I'm not doing a W30 I find some weeks I find a lot of things to be worth it and some weeks are completely compliant. Sometimes I make a choice that I think is worth it and later find it so wasn't, but that is something I just take into stride as a learning experience. 

I really prefer the term "indulgence" instead of "cheat" or "treat." 

Cheat to me speaks of bad behaviour and guilt, and we are trying to learn that What We Eat Doesn't Dictate Who We Are, right?

Treat makes me feel like I'm giving myself something I deserve, which is exactly the kind of food relationship I'm trying to get away from—rewarding myself with food for both good days and bad days. Enough of that!!

Therefore, "indulgence" works for me. "I am indulging in this piece of chocolate cake because it was made by my sister-in-law, who is an amazing baker, and every bite will be decadent, and I will not feel guilty for it afterward." OR "I do not need to indulge in this pizza, because I don't even like pizza that much, so it will not feel special or like a true indulgence."

Does that make sense? Am I crazy?  :P

Archived