I tried to search and have come up with nothing. I hope I'm not being repetitive:

I'm new to this forum and be to Whole 30. I'd really like to try it, but I'm nervous that my food allergies will be too limiting. I can eat anything cooked but am allergic to the following fruit, veggies and nuts when eaten raw:

-apples

-carrots

-peaches

-plums

-celery

-almonds

-apricots

-cherries

-pears

There may be others I simply haven't encountered or reacted to yet. Has anyone had experience with this? I always struggle with healthy grab-and-go options without things like apples, celery, carrots and almonds... I guess maybe I'm just looking for encouragement, especially from someone who's been through it and been successful! Any ideas or tips would also be helpful. Thanks.

I haven't experienced this, but I have a friend and a sister with this issue.

I think the whole30 could help, if only because it doesn't encourage snacking or "grab and go" behavior at all. It sets you up to be satisfied between meals, no snacking. If you do need to eat something between meals, we would recommend a "mini-meal" not a piece of fruit or some almonds, so in a way you are ahead of the game here  :)

Quite a few things on that list look to be FODMAPs. Have you ever investigated whether FODMAPs are a problem for you?

You can certainly do the Whole30 with allergies. There are people doing the regular Whole30 and also people doing the AutoImmune Protocol (aka AIP) and low FODMAPs too.

You are not alone in special meal planning :)

I found Whole30 very helpful with meal planning and eating to the template.

I highly recommend the cookbooks Well Fed & Well Fed 2 to make easy, uncomplicated and tasty healthy food. 

My symptoms are all oral and esophageal. It's definitely oral allergy syndrome. I align most closely with the birch family of cross-allergens. The good news is that I can eat it all cooked. Time management is a historical problem for me, so it's really annoying that I can't just grab a bag of raw carrots to eat with my eggs or whatever. Anyway, I'll figure it out, but will continue to watch for anyone with suggestions. Thanks!

I too have OAS, and I am on my third Whole30. I roll my eyes in silent frustration a lot at all the recipes chock full of nuts that make their way around here, Pinterest, Instagram, etc. Haha... We can roll our eyes together.

Anyway, I haven't found it to be a problem; I just eat other things. In fact, I noticed my symptoms for certain foods, notably raw carrots, celery, peppers, bananas, and apples have GREATLY diminished since I went Whole30/paleo. Kiwis are still a problem, and I'll probably never bother trying melons (first and worst allergy!).

I can eat almonds, but only roasted and not more than a handful or two, and much more than a couple tablespoons of almond meal in a recipe makes me uncomfortable (literally, physically). All other nuts are taboo for me.

Commiseration!

• 9 months later...

I have tried multiple Whole30s and about two weeks in my food allergies are out of control.  I am deathly allergic to Peanuts, Pecans and Walnuts, Extremely allergic to Eggs, Carrots, Peppers, Bananas and have more than just an oral allergy to raw fruit and vegetables.  I usually just stay away from fruit altogether.  Most cooked vegetables are okay, until about two weeks in to the Whole 30.  My sensitivity to foods increases dramatically and I reach a point I am so miserable eating vegetables, that I stop, and then I am not getting enough carbs and reach a point I just start eating whatever, just to eat.  The only vegetables I do not have a problem with are Sweet Potatoes and Squash, but I'm not sure I should eat those every meal.... I've been told to rotate my foods, but with such limitation on vegetables, I'm not sure what to do.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• Administrators

What does this mea

My sensitivity to foods increases dramatically

What does this mean, exactly? Is it digestive distress? Many folks who start eating a whole bunch of veggies when they aren't used to the volume experience some sort of digestive distress.

I'd take it easy on vegetables, then, and stick with the ones that don't disagree with you and slowly try others. 

I have OAS to, oh, tons of things. I never knew my mouth wasn't supposed to slightly burn when eating fresh fruit. I'm cooking everything, including the fruit, and avoiding the very worst ones for me. When I was vegan, I ate two bananas in one day and my mouth *peeled* inside. It hurt so bad to chew food for a week. We just have to bake our fruit and stay away from the worst ones. I have hopes my allergies will diminish in time, as I figure out what my trigger foods are. 

I really like the food log idea; I think that will help a lot. I also found the list of low histamine foods, so I am going to stick to those foods. I found I have been eating a lot of the high histamine foods, so perhaps this will help.

Thanks so much for the feedback!

So fun to see others with similar things!!! :)

I'm allergic (or at least I react) to almost all fruits and vegetables in their raw form.  BUT, when I did Whole30 a couple years back and then kept up the healthy eating, I found I could have some of those things here and there without an issue.  I now eat apples and LOVE them, but I never eat more than two a day and try to keep it fewer than that.

There are some foods I won't even mess with (melons, avocados, walnuts) but the others I'm no longer as fearful of.   I can also eat baby carrots, but not regular carrots - I have no idea why.  

It's so crazy isn't it, but I think once one's overall body and gut are healthier, the reaction isn't as intense (at least for me).  As for grab and go options, I've become a fan of hard boiled eggs, sweet potatoes cooked ahead, and glass snap and go containers of leftovers that can be mircrowaved.

• 8 months later...

I seem to  be developing this it is only day three of whole 30 and so far I have reacted to apples (which I could eat if washed before now I cannot eat washed) almonds (I was fine with) and celery(i was fine with. so my body is pretty much adding one allergen a day. I am confused I thought whole thirty was designed to help allergies not to make them worse! I am going to my allergist next week but If can't eat fruit and vegetables should I do this thing? I feel like just meat is not good for you. Also I hate cooking I am on day three and the cooking is killing me! so reading that cooking things is a solution ! I am just going to say this bread and cheese and beer does not do this!

Speak to your allergist, but this isn't something caused by Whole30.

Were you having trouble with unwashed apples vs washed apples before Whole30?

Are they organic? Just wondering if you might be having a pesticide reaction.

Do you normally eat a lot of raw foods?

• 11 months later...

Hi everyone,

My husband has OAS and we are preparing for a January Whole30 to see if it helps him. His allergies have progressed significantly over the past year and he cannot eat any raw fruits, veggies or nuts. We have even started baking spices if they are sprinkled on after the food is cooked. 

I was just wondering if those of you on this thread with OAS saw an improvement once you finished the 30 days. (I know a few of your saw increased allergies - I am hoping that this subsided for you - OAS is not fun!).

Thanks for your thoughts and opinions!

Tessa

• 2 weeks later...

Hi...I have oral allergy syndrome with the same foods as LyndiJules...it's annoying; however, i either eat the items cooked or I eat just a little bit of the raw and then drink some water. It can be uncomfortable, but it's not serious. Also, I find that eating the fruits in season lessens the reaction. 

Archived