July 1 Support Thread

lifeography

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

drtracyb.. good luck... I am finding not complaining really hard too. Are you making paleo pancakes? with plantan and egg? I havent tried them but was thinking of making them for my other half.

Yes, I make paleo pancakes.  I have made the plantain/egg pancakes but my daughter doesn't like the taste of banana, so the ones I made were a combo of coconut/almond/tapioca.  They are fine.  I used the extra pancakes to make sandwiches with cashew butter in the middle for snack tomorrow.  I also make carrot/parsnip muffins from thepaleomom.  I use Elanaspantry a lot for paleo snacks for the kids.

Yes, I make paleo pancakes.  I have made the plantain/egg pancakes but my daughter doesn't like the taste of banana, so the ones I made were a combo of coconut/almond/tapioca.  They are fine.  I used the extra pancakes to make sandwiches with cashew butter in the middle for snack tomorrow.  I also make carrot/parsnip muffins from thepaleomom.  I use Elanaspantry a lot for paleo snacks for the kids.

sounds great, I will try those.

Not sure if this is your first whole30 but the mods usually advise not to do pancakes and food like that (SWYPO type of food). 

Indeed. Pancakes are not allowed during the whole30. Here is the reasoning:

No Paleo-ifying baked goods, desserts, or junk foods. Trying to shove your old, unhealthy diet into a shiny new Whole30 mold will ruin your program faster than you can say “Paleo Pop-Tarts.” This means no desserts or junk food made with “approved” ingredients—no banana-egg pancakes, almond-flour muffins, flourless brownies, or coconut milk ice cream. Don’t try to replicate junk food during your 30 days! That misses the point of the Whole30 entirely. - See more at: http://whole30.com/whole30-program-rules/#sthash.bHcmiEcb.dpuf

Sorry - we segue'd off into discussing Paleo treats for our kids.  I have a thread in the Kids section about that.

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/14539-trying-to-eat-better-with-kids-this-is-hard/

forum.whole9life.com/topic/14539-trying-to-eat-better-with-kids-this-is-hard/

I don't eat paleo pancakes.  But I did find that the paleo snacks made it possible for my kids to be paleo.  Whole30 was just too restrictive to try to maintain - nor is whole30 a lifestyle.  But rather than not discuss my paleo household because this is a whole30 forum, I occasionally do discuss the results I get with my kids, because it is vital for us parents to have support through this, too.

Hey all

I am doing well (on day 6 for me).  I had a tough start with me moving to my mother's place for a job (during the week - I am 43) not because my Mom and I have issues but she has fridge issues and "container" issues.  Her fridge is too cold and my veggies froze in her fridge.  She does not cook (never uses range or stove and does not own a BBQ). I had some growning pains last week getting to work with my salad "off" because the frozen veggies are "mushy" and my salad tastes awful. The next day, I bring pork chop leftovers (cooked on the George Foreman Grill I bought) and I brought the to work in a zip-loc bag.  Little did I realize that she keeps her zip-loc bags in the same drawer with her sented candles.  After heating, the pork chops were very stinky and tasted bad.  I could not finish them and I cut them up and put them in my salad.  My whole salad tasted like sandlewood.  I had to pitch the whole thing.

Other than lunch issues, things are going pretty well.  I am feeling good, I am relatively happy (not really "kill all things") and my life transistion of Work in Toronto (3 hours away from home) on weekdays followed by train visits with family on weekends, is working out pretty well.  I will be one busy beaver over the next 6 months but it really gives me some sustained time to focus on this way of eating and a real focus on my health/fitness.

Cheers

DJ

I made nomnompaleo slow cooker kalua pork over the weekend.  Basically lined the bottom of the slow cooker with bacon, stuffed in two(!) pork shoulders that had been rubbed with kosher salt and stuffed with some whole garlic cloves and low roasted for 16 hours.  I pulled the fat off after roasting, shredded the meat and added some of the cooking liquid back.  I have stored it in 1 lb batches in my freezer.  Except that we have eaten half of it already.

M1 today was bone broth (which was made out of the juice and bones of two slow roasted chickens last week); then kalua pork and asparagus steam/fried in bone broth with a fried egg on top.  Yum.

I have snap peas that I have been meaning to use for well fed pad thai.  However, I discovered paleo ranch dressing yesterday and plan to have snap peas with ranch dressing dip, and probably some more pork, for M2.

For M3 I will pack my dinner for my graveyard shift.  A mason jar full of veggies and a mason jar of chocolate chili.  And an apple for snack.  This graveyard shift is the hardest for me to stay compliant as my desk is right next to the employee lounge and people leave snacks out all the time.

The kids are getting the same but get their paleo pancakes with cashew butter for snack.

And day 2 will be done.

Day 2 of no complaining.  I slipped for second but caught myself.

Day 2 of no coffee.  I don't know why I keep letting myself drink coffee between my whole30s.  I don't even like it, and with each whole30 abstinence I get more and more sensitive to the caffeine.

My failure is exercise.  I have not accomplished fitting exercise into my life currently.

djoyce - I sure understand about being a commuter family.  The job for me that works best for my family is 100 miles away and demands that I spend Saturdays away from my family.  I hate it!  But they pay me a ton of money and let me get 32 hours work done in two days (I get paid to be the overnight doctor at a 24-hour hospital veterinary hospital.)  The job I really want pays half as much and is 80 miles in the other direction and would require me to spend more overnights away from home.  So for the moment I have accepted both jobs while my husband and I negotiate over my ego versus what the family's needs are.

How about getting a second fridge for your mom's house?  We have a second fridge in the garage and with all the pre-cooking I do, we keep both full.

Day 4 for me. Ugh. I had really bad diarrhea  this morning but that seems to have passed. I think it was because I treated myself to some strawberries and almond butter late last night.

I had some friends over for a BBQ last night. Even though I really wanted a beer, I restrained myself. I asked my friends to bring a side dish and I'll provide the meat to grill. Well, my one friend brought a bunch of tubs of store bought salads (i.e. potato salad, macaroni salad, etc.), tons of cheese, corn on the cob, and TWO cases of beer - there was in total 6 adults and 2 who were not drinking. Granted I didn't tell her all about the Whole 30 thing so the food doesn't bother me. But I did mention that I don't have beer and I won't be drinking for a while so to bring some if she wanted to drink. I had to really push her to bring back most of her stuff, especially the second case of beer. She wanted to me to keep it for the next BBQ. I told her I don't have a second fridge and that the case would take up too much space. Anyway, I have to talk to her a little more about what I am trying to do. Out of all my friends, she's going to be the hardest to understand. I know she'll say something like "you're skinny enough as it is". Losing weight would be great but that's not the point.

So, yeah, I am not doing the 30 day complaining thing  :lol: . One thing at a time...

Feeling really tired. It would be nice to nap but not possible with two little ones with me.

Having the best morning already and it's only 7:15am!

I woke up at 4:30am and could not get back to sleep, in fact, I was so wired I decided to wake up my (very patient) husband and we went to our gym down the road for a workout.

20 minutes of cross trainer and 15 minutes of weights (that is a short workout I know, I'm on a rehabilitation plan for my back), home, showered and packed my leftovers from last night's meal (bunless burgers with beetroot, pineapple, tomato, baby spinach and onion caramelised in ghee) and I practically bounced the whole 40 minute walk to work.

Tiger blood already maybe? I'm not sure but I feel like I can take on anything at the moment :)

Hope everyone is enjoying having made it past the first week!

Good morning, all! I'm Julie. I have been trying so many different nutrition "plans" in the past few months my brain is honestly overwhelmed and I'm definitely feeling defeated. The worst part is I offer a "do as I say, not as I do" mentality everyday to those around me as I am a personal trainer and boot camp instructor (!!). I coach my clients on healthy eating habits and their importance, but am a self-proclaimed sugar junkie addicted to sweets. I possess the knowledge, just not the willpower.

Hey there ... Sounds like you know what to do - just the doing part of it. I was always the same way (although not the avid cross-fitter/personal trainer you are). I hope your first week has been going as expected. If you think you need some help with your mindset - training for your races OR even committing to this - I recommend finding Coach Prime on Facebook. She's AWESOME! Her website is www.atruetransformation.com. Don't even have to hire her - just read her posts, feel empowered by her support. I worked w/ her & just loved it!! Good luck!

I've loved reading everyone's stories on this thread!  I started my first Whole30 on July 2nd and am on Day 6, although I snuck up on it by trying out a few recipes and giving up diet 7-up two weeks before that.  My husband is awesome and supportive and helping with meal preparation (and consumption!).  He's not quite ready to commit fully himself, but he's moving in the right direction.

I'm 51, and am luckyluckylucky to have no real health issues.  But a few months ago I was feeling pain in my side and a baffling bloat in my abdomen that turned out to be a huge (8 pounds!) tumor that probably started life as an ovarian cyst.  The tumor is now gone, as are the ovaries, and now I'm trying to grapple with the changes the loss of those organs have made in my body.  I read ISWF, which just made SO MUCH SENSE.  So here I am -- my goals are to regain my energy after the major surgery, reduce the systemic inflammation (that may have caused that science fiction tumor in the first place), and make sure I'm properly nourishing myself.

I figure this is the only body I'm ever going to have, and I'd better take really excellent care of it.  I'm looking forward to this Whole30 journey with the other July people.  :)

Hello all--

I'm headed to bed on day 7. I messed up today. I jumped out of bed at 5:30 and went to CrossFit, and came home and had a delicious (and large) breakfast. I left for work without a plan for lunch, and rather than heading to the local natural grocery store (not budget friendly, but totally whole 30 friendly), I just didn't eat. So when I got home at 6, I was starving. At 7, I had zucchini noodles with homemade pesto (dairy-free) and shrimp. It was delicious, but since it was so much like pasta (and because I was starving), I ate a LOT. I'm stuffed and its now 10:30. Clearly I still have a lot to learn, because this is evidence of the portion control issues I have when not eating clean. A part of me feels guilty to have such a full tummy. The only thing non-compliant about the meal is the fact that the fat ratio is definitely too high--lots of olive oil in the pesto. But oh well. I can't change it now, and now I know I have to be aware about lunch (I was on vacation all of last week). Onward and upward! Photo of my delicious indulgence here

I started July 1 too, so far so good. My biggest worry was my cream for my coffee and cheese. I am shocked how much I do not miss cheese and I make my own creamer out of coconut milk, egg and coconut oil.So I am happy.

I am a 53 year old married mom with 4 kids  2 still living home full time

But oh well. I can't change it now, and now I know I have to be aware about lunch (I was on vacation all of last week). Onward and upward! Photo of my delicious indulgence here

That's the right attitude! It's all a learning experience. In the past, I used to beat myself up for things like this, but not anymore. Your zucchini noodles look delicious! How are you making them look so much like pasta - does it take a lot of time? I found myself getting annoyed trying to use a vegetable peeler (so painful...) and started using the long side of a box grater - does the trick, just doesn't look anything like pasta (but still delicious!)

Starting day 7 here with a hard boiled egg as my PWO, went to crossfit, and just had M1 - chicken apple sausage with spinach, some mango, coconut water, and coffee

The only thing non-compliant about the meal is the fact that the fat ratio is definitely too high--lots of olive oil in the pesto. 

Actually, assuming no cheese in the pesto, this meal looks like it would have been perfectly compliant. Way to go!

The fat amounts in the template are recommended minimums, but a compliant meal can have more--usually your own satiety signals will even things out over the next meal or two.

That's the right attitude! It's all a learning experience. In the past, I used to beat myself up for things like this, but not anymore. Your zucchini noodles look delicious! How are you making them look so much like pasta - does it take a lot of time? I found myself getting annoyed trying to use a vegetable peeler (so painful...) and started using the long side of a box grater - does the trick, just doesn't look anything like pasta (but still delicious!)

Starting day 7 here with a hard boiled egg as my PWO, went to crossfit, and just had M1 - chicken apple sausage with spinach, some mango, coconut water, and coffee

Use a julienne peeler! It takes NO time! I was amazed by how simple it is.  http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grips-Julienne-Peeler/dp/B0000CCY1S

Actually, assuming no cheese in the pesto, this meal looks like it would have been perfectly compliant. Way to go!

The fat amounts in the template are recommended minimums, but a compliant meal can have more--usually your own satiety signals will even things out over the next meal or two.

It is totally compliant but it doesn't follow the plan. I probably had 3-4 times the palm sized protein, because I stuffed my face. That's what I'm trying to stop doing, so it was disappointing for me. I'm hoping to get better control of recognizing when I'm full.

Channon18,

I understand how you feel but you did great in that you were compliant. You could have easily stuffed yourself with non compliant junk to tame the hunger beast.

I always took it as a learning lesson to NOT SKIP MEALS if at all possible because all roads lead to going all out--compliant or not. And sometimes if you are hungry, you have to eat more than you are used to. And I wouldn't worry about the fat at all. Let that go....you basically ate protein, veggies and good fat. No harm in any of that!

It took me awhile to understand that sometimes after workouts or whatever, my body just wants more food. And I'd restrict and that led me off the whole30 plan every now and then in the past. I've had to teach myself and ask would I eat steamed fish and broccoli if I was still hungry after a template meal. At times it's yes, at times it's no (and I know then it's something emotional or boredom I have to address).

The pesto zoodle combo sounds delicious!

Hi Everyone,

I'm Alli - and it's Day 2 for me.  I'm doing this challenge to get my health and weight back on track and to attempt to improve my relationship with food.

Looking forward to getting to know you all!

Hello all--

I'm headed to bed on day 7. I messed up today. I jumped out of bed at 5:30 and went to CrossFit, and came home and had a delicious (and large) breakfast. I left for work without a plan for lunch, and rather than heading to the local natural grocery store (not budget friendly, but totally whole 30 friendly), I just didn't eat. So when I got home at 6, I was starving. At 7, I had zucchini noodles with homemade pesto (dairy-free) and shrimp. It was delicious, but since it was so much like pasta (and because I was starving), I ate a LOT. I'm stuffed and its now 10:30. Clearly I still have a lot to learn, because this is evidence of the portion control issues I have when not eating clean. A part of me feels guilty to have such a full tummy. The only thing non-compliant about the meal is the fact that the fat ratio is definitely too high--lots of olive oil in the pesto. But oh well. I can't change it now, and now I know I have to be aware about lunch (I was on vacation all of last week). Onward and upward! Photo of my delicious indulgence here

That looks amazing!!! I have some shrimp in the freezer. Definitely making it this week!

I have the julienne peeler. I just ordered a spiralizer from amazon. Sweet potato pasta was even more amazing than zucchini. However it took a long time to julienne a sweet potato. I made turkey cranberry meatballs (the clothes make the girl) with added shredded zucchini. And sweet potato pasta with prosciutto, fig, and almonds (civilized caveman). Both recipes will be a forever part of our dinners. Both were even better on day 2.

Week one is complete, and I am very happy with the results. Amazing how irritating it is when all of your clothes are fitting tight. What a relief when they are all very comfortable! I feel good, and I am not bored with my food at all.

Have a great day 8!

Day 7 for me.  After some alarming dizzyness on Day 6, feeling so much better today!

I thought we had a well-stocked kitchen, but it's been surprising how much kitchen hardware we needed to be able to conveniently cook some of these meals.  The julienne peeler.  A smaller non-stick frying pan for eggs for one person's meal.  A crock pot big enough to slow roast an eight pound pork shoulder.  Small tongs for turning bacon in a fry pan.  We had these things, but in the wrong sizes/shapes.  Weird.

Archived