Did you find yourself sweeter and kinder after Whole30 reintro?

MeadowLily

Once upon a time, in a land far away, there was a man who lived for the mountaintop experiences.

He did it for political and familial reasons, everything. Really. By covering all of the bases, he thought that he would keep his family safe. Trying to make everyone happy.

He would bounce back and forth between the mountaintops, schmoozing it UP with his enemies. He had to keep one eye open at night because for all of the people pleasing it turned into a big garbage dump. Literally.

He never finished what he set out to do. Didn't keep his promises and he completely diluted the process. He muddied the waters and meandered so far out of his river banks that he lost everything 3000 years or so ago.

We cannot make everyone happy. Dilute your process and everything will slip right through your fingers.

We need to stay grounded and keep our WHY nearby.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Food Prison vs. Food Freedom Forever

It's different for each of us but I can sum up my FFF in 3 words.

In a nutshell and not the whole bushel. TNT. Dunamis power.

Those aren't the 3 words but you get my continental drift.

article-2203532-15057732000005DC-589_634

There was always room for two on the raft. Move it on over, Rose. They could've even been playing cards.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/09/160919110055.htm

Binge-eating disorder (BED) was linked with a broad range of other illnesses in a recent study, with the strongest associations related to the endocrine and circulatory systems. Individuals with BED had a 2.5-times increased risk of also having an endocrine disorder and a 1.9-times increased risk of having a circulatory system disorder.

There is a crossover with Binge Eating and Food Addiction.

Overweight. Overfat. Obesity.

It all adds up to fewer dopamine receptors in the brain. 

Food Addiction and Binge Eating IS in the brain.

You can't fix a broken brain with a broken brain.

For the food addict and binge eater, a broken dopamine center, broken satiety cues - these brains left intuitive eating a long time ago.

For normal brains, they stop eating when their brain stops flooding their reward center, appetite control center with dopamines.

For the food addict/binge eater - their brains have built up a tolerance and they crave more and more food to satisfy.

Refined sugary floury foods stimulate an intense dopamine high.  Far more than a normal meal of whole foods.

After years of living this way the brain controls its reactions by removing dopamine receptors from the brain.

To reach the same reward high, the brain needs more and more food.

You can't fix this with dieting and you can't fix this with a temporary fast weight loss.  It's only another temporary high.

Every time you go on another diet, you are messing with your dopamine receptors and your Brain Weight keeps setting the bar higher and higher and higher.

You can't fix a broken brain with a broken brain.

You can't fix binge eating and food addiction with positive quotes. But. Don't. Lose. Hope.

Dopamine receptors are malleable and can be reshaped and rewired if you can stick with slight improvements to food and exercise long enough to create an upward spiral within the striatal loop-circuit.

This improves dopamine D2R binding and will make you feel good while exercise.

Think gentle changes for the Permanent WIN.

Willpower, gutting it out and dialing it down won't fix dopamine receptors.

Broken D2R dopamine signals deeply rooted in the brain make you feel comfortable sitting on the couch at the speed of zero.

People seek pleasure and avoid pain. No one wants their chops busted or broken knee caps.

Without fully functioning dopamine signals, exercise doesn't feel like pleasure or a positive reward. It feels like you're working on a chain gang. Running around in circles on the dreadmill doesn't excite the food addict's endorphin releasing. It seems like another fig newton of your imagination or you must have parasites in the brain to enjoy that type of activity.

If your D2 dopamine receptors are dysfunctional, physical activity and exercise is dreaded more than a looking-forward-to-it experience. No runner's high endorphin releasing.

Find exercise you enjoy and do all of it on your own terms.  Start slowly and don't compare yourself to anyone. The food addict/binge eater's brain doesn't respond well to aggressive nonstop outexercising everything.

Like a mule, it will leave you laying there and walk off without you. Your brain will rebel and reject aggressive modes of brutal exercise routines.  Gooo slowly. Gentle changes for the permanent win.

If you want to have malleable dopamine receptors -  reshape and rewire with gentle changes. Go full bore and you'll be sliding back off the goose before you can say mini-meal.

If you don't have a food addiction or binge eating, then none of this will apply to you. You won't relate to a lack of satiety cues, a broken shut-off valve.  30% of the population now have food addiction and binge eating. I hope you are in the 70% with a normal brain, proper eating cues and intuitive eating is your jam.

For the 30%, I'm in your corner. No more rope-a-dope for you and me.

No more rope-a-dope.

A boxing strategy where you lean back against the ropes and allow your opponent to become exhausted by throwing tiring and ineffective punches.

Ali mastered it. A tactic of protecting oneself, letting all of his opponents wear themselves out and then unexpectedly dancing right back in the ring.

gettyimages-3324184.jpg?w=640&h=360&crop

Floating like a butterfly and stinging like a bee.

29906170001_4926692420001_4926557669001-

I want malleable dopamine receptors. You can reshape and rewire them with gentle changes.

Goooo Ooooo sooooo sloooow.  That's going to take true grit.

Gentle changes are your lifelong companion.

You do not want to go backwards and eat it all back. Relapse after relapse after relapse.

Starting over and over and over again.

I am not going out like that.

Yes. I can handle the truth.

Don't doubt yourself. Doubt is stink on stink.

Come'On. Pull. 

You don't want to slide back off the goose.

Rope-A-Dope. Allowing your frickity frick frick dopamine receptors to become lower and dysfunctional by constant dieting and eating it all back all the time and starting over every other month.  Monday Mindset and talking the talk but not walking the walk.

Pulling the wool over your own eyes. Do as I say but not as I do. Are you going to follow that pathway and hit the wall. That's the road to nowhere that doesn't lead to your healing and overall wellbeing.

There's no such thing as the Finish Line.

Less than 5% of dieters can keep the weight off and that number who can keep off weight, is only 2% higher among weight loss surgery patients...that is less than 7% of weight loss surgery patients can keep off all of their weight for any amount of time.

A rapid weight loss high is not a cure for a food addiction.

Another binge is not a cure for a food addiction.

"Keto is useful as a therapeutic intervention and useless as a sustainable lifestyle."

Truth.

I didn't say it, a W30 creator did but you'll find it as you tool along the pathway to your healing.  You'll find that there's so much truth in that nutshell and not the Whole bushel.

It's my truth and I'm sticking to it.  I know it's great for serious medical disease/ therapy and useless as a sustainable way to manage a food addiction.  I know that.

That feels like so much freedom to me.

Prison Food Menu, Food Prison vs. Food Freedom Forever

You have to know that you're actually locked UP to apply it to yourself and your life.

Shawshank It

Get yourself free.

The problem is all inside your head

The answer is easy if you take it logically

I'd like to help you in your struggle to be free

There must be fifty ways to leave your lover

Just slip out the back, Jack

Make a new plan, Stan

Don't need to be coy, Roy

Just listen to me

Hop on the bus, Gus

Don't need to discuss much

Drop off the key, Lee

Get yourself free

There are more than 50 ways to leave your imaginary lover. Dieting. 

Dieting is not the lover of your soul.

So what is this?

What we have here is a daily reprieve contingent on the Maintenance of a Spiritual Condition.

I manage food and it doesn't control me.  

I cannot moderate food i.e.  gummy bears, HFCS, something really artificial and multi-crap.

This is where the rubber really meets the road.

I am not a victim of food addiction.

Choices and Consequences.

If horse sense is so common then why aren't we all using it? 

The brain is so smug and arrogant. Ooooo, it thinks it knows everything. It doesn't. It only knows in part.

Your part and my part = connection. We work better as a team rather than a dog pack.

I operate on faith, believing that the collective Whole is really Whole and I am a part of it.

Every now and again, there will be reverb from the Universe. But if you really want your health to be a priority be prepared and not scared.

Don't be scared to tool along on your own. That's just the way it works. In the midnight hours, there may not be another human holding your hand or propping you UP.

Don't be scared. Be prepared.

My faith revs my engine. My thermostat is turned up to a rolling boil.  TNT. Dunamis Power.  ;)

Without that I would've lost my steam a long, long time ago. I'd be nothing but a mudpot, a hound dog yakkin' on a bone. You're going to have to learn to encourage yourself.

Adulting it. That doesn't mean you have to throw your sense of humor down the toity. Ooooo, noooo. Without your humor you will slide back off the goose.

Whatssup, Universe

Rapid weight loss sounds too good to be true?

I don't pay any attention to it. Talk to the hand, been there done that, worn the tee shirt.

I've decided I'll never get down to my

original weight

6'12 oz

is

just

not

realistic

• Administrators
On 13/07/2017 at 2:11 PM, MeadowLily said:

People-Walk-on-Grand-Prismatic-Spring-Ye

Trampling through something so beautiful that we'll never have the recipe or time to make another one. Ever.

10568167_G.jpg

Pesky. It hurts me. I can't help it.

Gah, people are so stupid and self-centered and clueless and uncaring, oblivious, navel-gazing, self-entitled sons of................

You have to sort of hope that he encounters one of those bits of super thin crust and has a boiling sulfuric acid dip. Or....is that too aggressive. :) 

I want answers, answers, answers.

I found my answers here.  I did.

I continue to search for the Truth about food addiction, binge eating and food disorders.  It's complicated on so many levels.

I have searched the backroads of this forum, forwards and backwards. I've read every TeeDee post. Tom Denham. He helped me and he continues to help me through his thoughtful, intelligent words filled with Truth.

I go back to the well and reread that encouragement. He can say in a nutshell what takes me a bushel. It's a gift to be able to simmer down the words into a concentrated bone broth that soothes your soul and gives you the true grit to carry on.

The Truth will set you free.

Archived