September 8th, anyone?

booksandcoffee

I too am relieved to hear of others' raging thirst.  I thought I was seriously oversalting my food or something.  I literally can not consume enough water!  My new treat is raspberry lime Poland Spring fizzy water.  Very decadent, I know.

Yesterday, I got through the day with NO snacks, which is a major achievement for me.  Also, a very strange thing happened last night while cooking dinner.  My husband looked at me and told me to lift up my bangs.  I have melasma (dark spots) on my forehead which has been pretty bad especially since I had my daughter 2 years ago.  He pointed out that it had lightened up drastically just since I started Whole 30.  I didn't believe him at first but I looked in the mirror and they do seem WAY lighter.  (I don't think I noticed before because one side effect of the Whole 30 has been massive breakouts.  I look like I'm 14.)  Given melasma is exasperated by hormones, I have to believe cutting out soy has made the difference? Who knows. 

Is anyone else having serious skin changes?

• Replies 783
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Puffinsmuffins - at least now I know that I was not imagining it. My dark areas are at the left chin line and just under the outsides of my eyes. I had noticed at the end of day 3 that they looked lighter. However I also just started using a new face cream (does not say that it will lighten skin) so I thought that the cream must be absolutely amazing!

However, your explanation makes much more sense because they developed after my daughter was born and as I approached menopause (daughter was had late in life). Mine get worse with sun exposure and I had a lot of sun this summer (more than usual).

I do see these spots are much improved.

I suffer from scalp acne and I get a lot of pimples on the scalp and in the hairline. Here I have seen a huge change. I am just about acne free for the first time, ever.

I am seriously seeing so many health improvements in such a short time, I don't know what other foods outside of whole 30 I will be able to incorporate back into my diet at some point.

Hi everyone! I started on Sept 8th as well, but just now made it to the site to create an account.

So far, it's been pretty good for me....I don't even miss bread, didn't really even have "carb flu"!

But today after lunch (which was filling and satisfying!) I got grumpy! REALLY craving some dark chocolate and cheese....

Ugh. This is the part that I have dreaded! 

What is everyone's best coping methods? 

LaRee1979 - welcome! Glad it is going well with you.

I get cravings for cheese. Right now they have been manageable because I keep telling myself why I am doing this - for my health. I am fortunate that mostly I have been seeing positive results from this, so I keep concentrating on this.

So far it is keeping my focus. Looking forward to the great feelings that I hope we see soon!

Ok...so I made and decorated a cake today. A chocolate cake.

And didn't even test it or lick the spoon.

I had to wash up immediately but I'm really chuffed ;)

I also rang the restaurant for tomorrow to check the meat marinades etc. It'll be easier now we can have potatoes and the marinades are oil and herbs so it should be fine as long as I am strong near the garlic bread and cake! My brother in law's aunt is caeliac so it won't just be me being careful.

Britishgal. Just remember that the best plan for each person is individual. This plan is to help us identify what foods we can eat for our own bodies for optimal health.

Just maybe, bran for breakfast is not the right thing for your body. Ignore them and enjoy! Just keep bringing the conversation back to the baby!

I read on different thread on the forum that Chipotle is compliant if you stick with just lettuce, canitas (everything else is cooked in soybean oil), guac and pico de gallo.  So I had that for lunch since going out to lunch is normally a big part f my work culture.  I do not feel so hot.  Headache and sore throat are back.  And now I am worrying that I strayed off program.

Do you think I need to start over and back to Day1?

Hi everyone - apologies that I'm a bit late but would really like to join the group as I started my first Whole30 on 9/8. Really excited at all the active participation and conversations people are having.

For me, I was inspired by a friend to try it, although I've tried Paleo before. I, too, am a serial dieter ever since I was very young (kinda sad that even kids have negative body image issues). Losing weight is not a huge priority; I think I am 5-10lbs of what I consider ideal. And toning up is a bigger priority. But most importantly, I just want to feel good. I have chronic headaches, and wake up almost every morning feeling hungover, even if I didn't drink alcohol the night before. I also have panic disorder and have been having a rough year with panic attacks coming on much more frequently. I've embraced meditating over the last few week's, and I'm excited to reap the benefits of positive change through that, as well as all that's to come with Whole30.

I'm on Day 5, and crossing fingers that I may be over the detox hump. I probably had the worst PMS symtoms this week, and I think it was intensified with the detox. Still having daily headaches though. But so far in these 5 days, I'm happy to say that I have a bit more energy (not crashing into bed right after dinner), stomach issues seems better (not feeling bloated and gassy), I've actually resisted a slice of pound cake (!), and I've stayed compliant with my meals. My meals are pretty boring, but I'm going grocery shopping this weekened so I'll be able liven that area up.

Hey all!

Day 5:

Breakfast: Choffy, plain no coconut milk. Starting to think I could maybe cut back on the volume that I drink. May consider reducing it by half? Had a bowl of chocolate chili and mixed some leftover cooked carrots in. It was pretty good, no complaining here.

Lunch: Didn't happen until about 3pm. :( Chocolate chili again, blueberries, and sugar snap peas. Right after lunch I broke out in hives all over my face and neck. Nothing had anything in it I hadn't eaten before. Zyrtec undid the hives so I'm okay now.

Dinner: sweet potato soup at the request of my boyfriend. Going to have some chocolate chili on hand as well. :)

Feeling pretty darn good. Headed to Chicago tomorrow to babysit my 5.5 month old niece and plan on making a trip to trader joe's. I don't have one close to where I live. Any suggestions on what to get??

Jclayton79 -

Was just at TJ this past week. Don't know if you will have a cooler to transport home, but their meats looked good.

I did see that their Tuna is Whole30 compliant - no soy just tuna, salt and water. They sell both ghee and coconut oil at a decent price.

Just read labels carefully. A lot of stuff is still not compliant. I did pick up some almond butter to try. Have fun!

Hello everyone - finally getting a chance to catch up and check in. Had a long, rough day at school and really wanted to come home and have a glass of wine tonight. But, I stayed strong a enjoyed my seltzer water! Tomorrow I'm having lunch with a friend at a little local restaurant and am a little bit concerned about what my choices will be. Its not exactly a greasy spoon, but lots of fried food and burgers. Hoping I'm not just stuck with a salad but I guess that's better than nothing. Hope you all have a good weekend!

I checked the ingredient statement page.  It all seems to be ok.  I think I just got paranoid because I felt bad so immediately went to this message board, hah.  They use sunflower oil to cook the carnitas.  That is a limited oil/butter/seed but still allowed on the whole30.  Everything else is fine.  I guess I am safe.  But interesting to know.  It took me out for a good 3 hours after I got home from work.  I had to take a nap.  And I still have a faint headache.  Probably won't be going back.  

I going to try to eat out tomorrow too.  I am planning on just straight sashimi.  Obviously no rice, no miso soup, no soy sauce etc.  Even though I live in LA, I think it's hard to find safe restaurants that don't cook in vegetable oil/soybean oil.  Or that really just steam their veggies.  It is going to be one of the biggest adjustments during my whole30 not to be eating out as much.  My work has a big eating out culture and I do it a lot socially.  It will be a hard habit to break during this period and beyond.  But probably better for my health and wallet in the long run (at least with work lunches). 

My emotions are still all over the place.  I cancelled plans that I had in the books for months now.  I just don't want to see most people.  I know I am isolating myself.  Everything seems really bleak.  I am crossing my fingers that things even out a little.  And soon!

Kristinmarta: during my prior whole30 I would get a headache and a tummy ache every time I ate out, even when I was 100% sure it was compliant. I think I just got paranoid and felt guilty that I didn't know all the ingredients. I think you're fine. I think í might pick up some chipotle tomorrow as well.

I think it's good that you recognize and are able to vocalize your emotions. I really think you will start to feel better soon. If anything, focus on the good that you are doing for yourself. I too have been feeling very hopeless and bleak. I don't really remember the point of it and have started questioning all sorts of other parts of my life that I do not usually think about. I am attributing it to the whole30, though do also carry a prior diagnosis of depression that had been mostly pretty controlled.

Just taking it one day at a time. Hope you feel better soon!

Britishgal, that's impressive! I would have been very tempted to lick the spoon. Cake is a definite weakness.

Flora123, welcome!

Jill P: maybe you can look at their menu in advance and come up with a plan. You can also take your own salad dressing. And don't be afraid to be that person that asks a lot of questions. I was afraid to do it at first but nobody really minds and the waiters ended up assuming I had allergies, which I don't really mind. Enjoy!

Day 5 for me went fairly smoothly, I did notice that I had not been eating enough and ate half a giant zucchini with my dinner! As well as spaghetti squash, broccoli and ground beef. Big portions of veggies keep my happy :)

Did not prep very well for today - a Saturday workday - and only had a banana thinking I'd be preoccupied enough to make it thru lunch. But around 8am, I started feeling really dizzy, and needed to eat something. The only possible thing I could get access to was Subway's. So I got a salad with oil & vinegar with an egg added; felt instantly better. I'm a bit concerned on whether all the ingredients are Whole30 compliant, but it was the best I could do. The office ordered pizza, so I'll just have to finish my salad, and tough it out until dinner. Going grocery shopping tomorrow so looking forward to that.

Britishgal - I haven't been experiencing indigestion. My stomach issues were much worse prior to starting.

Must check out what this Choffy is all about!

Meal out went well...except the main is planned from my look at the menu and phone calls wasn't available! I plumped for grilled salmon and a salad with balsamic vinegar. Not eating any garlic bread was hard, repeatedly refusing wine wasn't fun and then there was the cake.

But I did it and I'm proud ;)

Archived