I'm LATE!!!

amandavilliers

I finished with my Whole30 July 31st and I haven't really changed any of my eating since there, minus a couple "paleofyed" desserts. I am now 8 days late for my period. Has anyone else had any changes in their menstral cycles. Pretty sure I'm not prego. Background, I did lose about 10lbs in the 30 days and I am an avid runner and crossfitter. I just don't want to pay for a prego test if I can help it! Thanks!!!

Have you been under stress of any kind? Even nutritional stress and changes can change your cycle. If your body recognizes stress of any kind, it could delay ovulation, which in turn can delay your period. The time between the start of your period and ovulation can change from month to month depending on what is going on, but the time between ovulation and your period is typically pretty consistent. Do you, by chance, chart your daily temps to verify ovulation? I find its incredibly helpful in determining when ovulation is delayed so I don't freak about pregnancy. BTW, my Whole30 delayed ovulation by a week for me, which in turn delayed my period by a week accordingly.

I finished my W30 the same time as you and I was 3-4 days late and when it came it was heavier with clots. I know I've had stress lately too so I wasn't too worried. I tend to cycle with the new moon so I feel pretty on track give or take a few days.

It's not too uncommon for a period to be late or sometimes to be missed. The W30 had your body go through a lot of changes. I noticed you said that you were an avid crossfitter and that you lost a good amount of weight (congrats!).

Make sure you are eating enough to fuel your workouts. Too often I see crossfit members under eat or skip pre and post workout meals.

For a couple months, I went from a 29-day cycle to an 18- or 19-day cycle. I'm back to 28 days now, it seems. I've read that the hormonal imbalances being corrected by this change in diet could mess with your cycle. Maybe you're experiencing that, too. Or, maybe you'll have to pee on a stick. ;)

It's been 42 days since my last period, and I'm definitely not pregnant. I've been wondering if W30 has anything to do with it, too. But I just had a Mirena removed a few months ago (after five years) -- I didn't have a period for almost two months, then my next was 28 days later (July 7), and nothing since. I wonder if maybe my cycle is just having trouble getting back into a normal rhythm after removing the Mirena (and not having a period at all for five years)? Also, I'm 47, so I guess it might be expected for my cycle to be getting more irregular? :mellow:

I haven't had my period in TWO MONTHS & it used to be regular/normal. I've taken 2 pregnancy tests, both negative. I'll probably be making a dr's appt soon.

Maybe you should wait a couple more weeks & take an OTC test?

Same here! I am currently a week or so late and it's concerning me as we want to start trying for a baby soon. I didn't find any mention of this when researching the Whole30. My acne has improved greatly but I'm not happy that doing this has messed with my menstrual cycle.

I am having the same issue. I am about 5 days late, not pregnant but I notice I feel funny. Almost like I can tell my body is getting ready for it but seems to keep being delayed. I am hoping it comes soon but trying not to allow myself to stress over it :)

Hi ladies!

Melissa answered this for someone on Facebook the other day and I thought it might be helpful to you:

"the Whole30 affects more hormones than just insulin and leptin. It's very common for women's cycles to go off-kilter as the body adjusts. If you continue to eat well and live a healthy lifestyle, your cycle should come back on line in a few months, and be more regular and PMS-free than ever. But these things can take time, so be patient (and see you OBGYN if you're concerned)."

Hi ladies!

Melissa answered this for someone on Facebook the other day and I thought it might be helpful to you:

"the Whole30 affects more hormones than just insulin and leptin. It's very common for women's cycles to go off-kilter as the body adjusts. If you continue to eat well and live a healthy lifestyle, your cycle should come back on line in a few months, and be more regular and PMS-free than ever. But these things can take time, so be patient (and see you OBGYN if you're concerned)."

This is exactly how it was for me (I began my first Whole30 in mid April and have done two more Whole30's since then) )- things were a bit off kilter for two months but totally back to 28 day cycles now and practically no PMS! This is a huge change for me as I used to have dreadful PMS. I definitely feel it was a case of my body regulating itself and the hormones balancing out.

I'm glad to read this is normal but it's frustrating when you're TTC. Maybe I'll get lucky and since my hormones were already out of whack (thank you PCOS!) things will actually normalize? At this point as long as my cycle is less than 60 days I'll be happy.

Nice to know it's not just me though, haha.

On Day 30 (!!!) and also nearly 2 weeks late. I've always been pretty irregular, though, and even more so since coming off BC earlier this year. I often get headaches prior to getting my period, and I've had one for the last 3 days... so hopefully that's a sign it's coming. Pretty sure my hormones are out of whack and still stabilising, but kinda frustrating to get them right at the end of my Whole30 (when headaches were one of the main reasons I started the program). Gotta be happy about the fact that I was pretty much without headaches for most of the month, though. :)

Thanks!!! I still haven't gotten it...took a test, negative!! Guess I'll see if it comes next week, like it should. I'm sure it's just the changes in my diet! Making such drastic changes after 35 years of toxic food choices probably put a shock on my body! I'm definitely eating enough to support my lifestyle. Guess I'll just wait and see what happens!

Rho, I went three months without a period when I moved to Brazil earlier this year.. I was quite freaked out about it too, started thinking I'd never get it back, but it did finally come in the end.

I finished my Whole30 on 30/8, and I'm about 3 weeks late now, too.

Have been feeling really emotional the last few days, and keep feeling like it's going to come, but it doesn't.. I don't think I'm up the duff, but there's always a possibility..so I reckon I'll take a test next week if it still doesn't come. :ph34r:

The lack of a period concerned me (since we're about to start trying for a baby), so I started to reintroduce some "old" foods on day 33. After ten days, I got my period yesterday (2 weeks late; cycle was 42 days). Of course, my acne has also returned! The food-hormone-acne connection is truly amazing to me. I'm definitely planning to revisit this in the future but didn't want to wait a few months to get my period at this stage in my life.

I have struggled with having/keeping my period due to stress from work/exercise/food. In the few days leading up to my period, I will increase my overall intake of fat (coconut oil and fattier cuts of meat) . This has worked for me, as it is a signal to my body that everything is ok and there is plenty of food.

If you go several months without a cycle, then I think it is important to seek out a holistic doctor in your area (make sure the know and understand paleo food ideas). The problem could be more than just food choices, and someone who can "look under the hood" so to speak can help locate the source of the problem

Archived