Whole 30 Starting 24/09/14

wholedlyon

What has concerned me a little is there were a number of poor reviews on trip advisor in the past few months I hope it is a nice meal.

I travel a lot and use Yelp to look for restaurants all the time.  Sometimes it seems like I shouldn't bother because *every* place can have poor reviews. :-/

Probably shouldn't be surprised if I think about even conversations I have with my own friends -- we often strongly disagree on the merits/demerits of any given place. :)

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello Day 25

I hope you all had a great day and are having a great weekend.

I had a good meal last night and I’m happy that meal was better than the reviews.

I had a sea bass starter and steak which kept me complaint. Got a few impressed/ surprised looks when I passed up on dessert. Was great to catch up with some old friends who I hadn’t seen in a while.

Hope you are all doing well.

We Can Do This

David

Good morning all,  the weekend is here and I hope to get a lot done.  Don't know how productive I'll be in the kitchen because we have lots of other stuff going on.  We need a refrigerator because one of ours gave out.  Since I live with a hunter/fisherman we need lots of freezer space.  We had 2 refrigerators and 2 freezers and one went out.  Hunting season is here and I know we will be having deer meat to put up so we will be appliance shopping today.

My daughters are at retreat this weekend and my son-in-law will be needing some help with the kids.  Easton (grandson) has soccer and Leah is to little to have her out there with them with out an extra pair of hands.  I'll be keeping her for a while. 

David -Glad you enjoyed dinner. I think we are going to go out to eat again tonight.  I really enjoyed the other night since I hadn't been anywhere in so long. 

Tina - great job on passing up the fries.  I find that the food is not worth losing the feeling of how exciting it is when old clothes fit.

Dawn - hope your house chores are coming along.

Hope everyone has a great weekend. 

Hey everyone

I'm still hanging in there. Got everything moved out and started doing some drywall patching. Hoping today to finish the drywall so I can paint tomorrow. We clean tomorrow too.

Sorry I haven't been on in the last couple of days. I'm just so tired at night after cooking dinner I fall asleep watching the news.

Tina...great job on resisting the fries. I don't think I could have done that. I would of eaten them all. I love French fries.

David...glad your dinner went so well. The sea bass sounds delicious.

Lisa...I know what you're going through with the fridge problem. We have 2 side by sides, 1 giant chest freezer and 1 upright freezer as a backup for when we clean out the chest freezer or chill the meat while we are processing the animals. Cutting the meat slightly frozen is so much easier. We keep 1 side by side and both freezers in the garage. Hope you find a good deal on one. Last week Lowes had them on sale. Maybe they still do. I think it was 25% off anything over $300. Good luck.

Well off to fix me some breakfast then back to work on the house. Oh yea. I listed it on Craigslist 2 days ago and already got 6 calls about it. Keep your fingers crossed I sell it soon.

Hey. Me again. Lol. I made a brown gravy the other night and it was delicious.

Dice 1 red onion and sauté in ghee. Add 3 garlic cloves diced(I used a garlic press) and about 1-2 tablespoons of chives and salt and pepper to taste. When tender run through food processor till almost a purée. May need to add a little beef stock. Sauté sliced mushrooms in coconut oil till done. Add onion mixture. Mix 1-2 tablespoons of arrow root power with 1 cup beef stock mixing throughly. Add another 11/2-2 cups beef stock to mushroom mixture. Heat and stir in arrow root mixture. Simmer until thickened. Add more beef stock if to thick. Adjust salt and pepper to taste.

We cooked seasoned round steak in oven with a little water, covered. Then poured juices into gravy for extra flavoring.

My husband even liked it and he's really picky with his gravy.

Morning everyone.  Well yesterday was exhausting.  We got the refrigerator and so glad it's done.  We had to do some swapping with appliances, the fridge that went out was in garage so we got that out first.  we didn't want the new one in there so we moved the freezer in the laundry room to the garage and them put the new fridge in laundry room.  Loading/unloading time and again, moving all kind of furniture and "stuff" then getting everything back in order.  Now that it's done it is worth the trouble but it took all day. 

Didn't get a lot of cooking done but I did make cabbage fried off with bacon and onions which was good.  I found some natural marinara sauce at Costco with no sugar so I pressure cooked some Italian sausage and deer back strap in it with a little seasoning and it was delicious.  Only tried a small batch since it was the first time but today I am making a bigger pot so we'll have some for this week.

I work on Sunday mornings at a church running the child's nursery so I'm getting ready for work.  Hope to come home and do a little yard and house work and then out to dinner tonight.  Still going down - very slowly, but down so I'm anxious to try on the pants that were very tight last time I went out.

Hope everyone has a great day. 

Hey everyone

Just had dinner. Hamburgers with all the trimmings. Don't know if it's my tastebuds are getting more sensitive or hubby's burgers are just better than normal. I think that when your eating clean you can taste everything much better.

Showed the house twice today. The second couple wants it. They just don't have the money and want us to finance part of the price. I think we are gonna do it. Just hope they have the down payment I'm asking for. She's suppose to let me know in s couple of days. Wish me luck!

Got a road trip tomorrow. 10 hours of driving there and back. Eating out lunch and dinner. Not feeling real positive about it. There won't be very many places to choose from. I hope I can stay compliant. It's gonna be hard.

Well I'm off to relax a bit before bed. Worked hard on the house today painting and such. Still more to do on Tuesday. Be glad when I'm done.

Hope everyone has a great night.

Hello Day 27

Sounds like you all had a very busy and productive weekend.

My wife was away on Saturday night and most of Sunday with her mother so I got to spend some time with just my daughter. We had a lot of fun running around and building stuff, her imagination was running wild.

Did my cookout yesterday and got some BBQ Pork , Chicken Tikka Masala and a breakfast bake done. The other meals I have planned for this week aren’t very labour intensive so I should be able to cook as I eat them.

Feel like I’m getting the cold that’s been gin round the family so will keep an eye on that.

Lisa, glad you were able to get a replacement appliance. I imagine you would need a lot of storage at the end of hunting season. Even the smallest things require a lot of work.

Dawn, sounds like you are doing well. The house seems to be attracting a lot of interest and you look close to a resolution. The gravy recipe sounds great too. I hope your road trip goes well.

Hope everyone has a great day.

We Can Do This

David

Morning everyone

Just got on the road. 2 hours late getting started. The son didn't pack until this morning. Gonna be a long sad day. Just got him home 2 months ago after 11/2 years. Now he's leaving for another 18 months. Hopefully he will do good in this place and learn something. Gonna miss him even though he drives me crazy most of the time.

Will try to check in tonight.

Hey Day 22

I was exhausted last night so went to bed a lot earlier than normal and feeling really good this morning. Ordered some Epsom salts so will try to get a good soak a few times a week.

Kate, I’ve found dried fruits can be a food with no brakes for me too. The packets contain 4-5 portions but the entire packet can disappear in no time. I find it best to avoid them. Regardless of the portion size indicated I think there is always a drive to finish the packet. This becomes a problem when chip packets are the size f potato sacks and ice cream comes by the gallon. I wonder how many people are able to stick to the portion sizes?

Glad you could join us in the thread. You are doing great to be at day 44 already and look to be heading towards a Whole 60. How did you first 30 days go? What victories have you achieved so far and what are you looking forward too?

I have a similar problem with stress and cravings which I’m still working to overcome. I was an all or nothing person before the whole 30. I was either strict or not and I feel I was adding stress to my life by trying to make things so complex or perfect. I loved the talk Mellissa gave at Paleo fx which talked abut stress and cravings and a lot of it rung true for me. When I took some time to reduce stress, through nutrition, exercise and “better” sleep I made a big improvement.

I do think the meal planning for me has made life easier. A little time spent planning meals means I have a store of prepared food ready for me to take to work and when I get home at the end of the day. In the past when I didn’t have food readily available I tended to make bad food choices.

Thanks for the info on the RLS and magnesium. I have some natural calm at home but didn’t get into the habit of taking it daily. I’ll work on that.

David - You are 100% right about dried fruits being a food with no brakes.  When I was shopping this week I walked right past the fruit/nut aisle at Trader Joes.  I almost tried to tell myself that I 'needed' sunflower seeds but I knew the real reason was so I could just so happen make sunbutter with them.  Even though I make it without any sweetener it's addictive and I use it as an excuse to eat more fruit.  I know as a seed I should be limiting them as much as possible.  It's still interesting to catch myself bartering at the store, lol.  I was good and got only what I truly needed - no fruits, nuts or seeds.  

I'm definitely getting the hang of my meal planning finally.  It's still a ritual every weekend but one that is getting more manageable.  It gives me a lot of confidence that I CAN do this after 60 days are up.  I won't be there for another 10 days but I need to start reading up on the 'reintroduction' phase.  I never did that with my first W30 and I need to plan ahead.  It's a lil scary to think of being done.  Ironically that day will also be Halloween.  I already decided I will be that weird lady who doesn't hand out candy.  It's my personal choice for many reasons but honestly at the store yesterday I told myself I refused to spend upwards of $30 on candy.  I'm resting assured that my neighborhood (neh the world) will survive without my sugary contributions.  Instead I am making some cool favor bags with Halloween themed pencils, bracelets, bouncy balls, glow in the darker 'creatures' and crazy straws.  It's a wonderful coincidence that my 60th day (technically I think 61st) falls on Halloween but I have it all planned out so I'm not worried.  I'm excited to still be apart of the 'trick or treat' experience in my own way :)

The Natural Calm is a big help for me.  On the days I forget to take it I notice the difference.  I don't take any supplements so it's easy to forget.  Hopefully with some regular use you'll notice a difference in your RLS.  

I haven't read thru the most recent posts but I will now.  Just wanted to punch in with a quick update first.  Hope everyone is doing well!

Good luck!  

My the weekend flew by ! 

I tried my wonderful gouda on Friday -  and in the middle of the night woke w/ some stomach pains and did not sleep well.  I only had a small piece - so not sure if that is what caused the issue, so I am going to retry it - but a much bigger piece !!  (my taste buds will enjoy that !)

My weekend was full - got my broken camper loaded with all the camping gear - drove that to my daughters house for the winter, did some shopping, and then finally relaxed.  Was going to take my daughter to see "if I stay"  but we both forgot about it until it was too late to go !  Go fgure-  Sunday went to visit a friend for the day - we did lots more shopping and ate out for lunch.  Went to a Mexican restaurant and had a taco salad.  The salad was just iceburg lettuce, and sometimes I have issues with lettuce if it was sprayed with that 'veggie cleaner spray'.  so - sure enough a little while later - my stomach was not happy.

I made a unplanned stop at my friends house, and her husband had just finished cooking and insisted I stay for dinner.  Roast chicken mashed potatoes & gravy and corn.  He made my plate - they are good friends so when he saw I didn't eat everything - he gave me crap - saying his dinner wasn't good .. etc   I said it would make a wonderful lunch. He sent home another container for my daughter !  Brought it home, gave brooke the potatoes and corn.  Made myself a baked potato and carrots and added that to the chicken for my lunch,

Tonight made a roast w/ potatoes, and carrots.  I felt like I didn't have enough veggies with my dinner tonight. I think it is funny how this program (hate calling it a diet)  makes me rethink all my food choices.

I am getting bored with being the only cook in the house - I could see backsliding - if I don't continue to be prepared.  it is way easier to throw a pizza in the oven - than making meat/veggies.  BUT I will not give in.  Just need to do some major cooking and get some meals in the freezer - that I can pull out for those "pizza would be easier" nights.

I made some clarified butter (it just sounds weird to say Ghee) !  and tomorrow will make more mayo, and will try another sauce to have on hand.

I can't believe that you all are almost done with another 30 days.!   I can't wait to see how you feel when you are done !

Hello Day 28

I hope you all had a great day yesterday.

We’re gearing up in Scotland for some gale force winds from the tail end of hurricane Gonzalo. If we think some gale force winds are bad, id hate to think what it would be like to actually experience a hurricane

The cold is getting worse so I’m not feeling too great as I approach the end of my whole 30. it will be good to get another baseline, pop on the scales and take stock of how far I’ve come.

The changes are not as easy to see this time around but I can still feel that I’m making progress.

Dawn, I hope you enjoy your road trip. Enjoy the time you have with your son while you have it. Even if he drives you crazy.

Kate, Great choice, if its not in the house you wont eat it. I’ve never been a fan of nut butters. I have some in the house but see it as an ingredient and only use it in the Well Fed 2 BBQ sauce recipe.

I still need to get into the Natural Calm, I’ll try some tonight.

Tina, it sounds like you had a great weekend and are now enjoying social events. I remember in the first 30 days there was a lot of apprehension about eating away from the kitchen but now we’ve got a solid foundation and are able to remain complaint even when we are not totally in control.

I made some mayo last night too and will make coleslaw tonight.

We’ve all came a long way since we started this journey together and long may it continue.

We Can Do This!

David

Morning everyone,  Hope things are good for all of you.  David, your post brought lots of memories for me.  I'll tell ya'll about my experience.  My family and I and all of our friends and community went through hurricane Katrina in 2005.  We deal with hurricanes here so it is something we are use to and know how to prepare for, or so we thought. 

We were completely aware of the weather forecast and almost everyone I know made plans to evacuate.  We spent days stocking up on gas, food, water.  We picked up all of our outside things like trash cans, swings, garden things and anything that could move because of wind.  We boarded up our windows and gathered up our important belongings.  Doing this is extremely stressful so usually there are arguments between family members because you are working against the clock.  I want to do as much as I can and hubby want to get out as soon as possible because the traffic is unbearable. It is like hundreds of thousand of people were just told an atomic bomb is about it hit our city and you need to get out.  A drive to another town that would be safe that usually takes about 2 hours or so takes anywhere from about 5 to 9 hours. 

We all left with kids, animals and what ever else we could manage.  We have friends in Mississippi that always take us in so we headed there.  That right there is a huge blessing because hotels fill up and then people have to look for shelters or churches to help.  We were glued to the tv and Katrina hit where we live dead on and it was a very strong storm.  I remember sitting on the sofa after it passed and seeing pictures of where I grew up and all you could see was water.  I just sat and quietly cried because I new it would be bad.  Once the new reports came out it was terrible.  My husband was a reserve police officer so we were able to come back about 3 days later but my whole family and all of our friends could come back for about 3 weeks. 

We headed home and I was very, very lucky.  My home was spared with very little damage and no water and so was my sister that lived three houses away.  We had no electricity or water.  People were looting and breaking into homes for food or generators and Ed had to go to work with the police.  He left me home with a gun and I slept on the sofa with the gun on the coffee table.  Phone were not working so you really couldn't get help if you needed it.  This went on for days.  My mother and 3 other sisters and their families lived about 25 minutes away and we made our way there as soon as we could.  All of their homes flooded.  Everything was lost and the homes had to be gutted.  They could still not come home so we went to each of the homes and started throwing out the food in the fridge and freezers.  I will never forget that, the smell was horrible and it was probably over 100 degrees and there was no air.

Eventually most of their furniture and anything that was on the floors got thrown out.  The whole town had mountains of stuff in front of their home for weeks and weeks until the cities were able to get their workers back to begin the trash collections and such.  My family had to get fema trailers to live in but that took a long time.  My sister took in 1/2 of them and I went from having myself, 2 daughters and a cat to having a sister, her husband and daughter, my mother, another sister, an extra cat and a stranger that we met for 7 months.  we had mattresses all over the floor and it wasn't good. We even took in a little dog that Ed brought home.  His owner was and an elderly man in a wheelchair that they were taking to a shelter somewhere.  All he had was his dog and they wouldn't let him take it.  We kept him and later the man's daughter came to get the dog and he was reunited with the man. We couldn't get anything from stores because they weren't open.  We had to go through lines in our cars to get toilet paper, water, ice, food.........The military was lined up guiding us with machine guns in their hands. 

I think we got electricity back about 6 or 7 days into this but for some of my friends and family it was weeks.  This was a life changing event.  I brought out a lot of good and taught us a lot but it also caused some sad things.  We knew a couple of people that choose to stay and they died in their homes.  It put wounds on relationships between family members that will probably never heal to the way they were before.  It was sad.  I now know that you are not meant to live back with the family you grew up with when you were young once you become an adult and have a family of your own.  There was so much more that went on and it took months and months, probably almost a year and a half before things were even close to normal.  My family got their homes rebuilt and we are all past the ordeal.  Every year when hurricane season come we all have a sick feeling and a large amount of fear that we live with.  We have been very lucky in the last few years but it is just a matter of time.  We just pray and hope for the best.

I didn't mean to get carried away about this but for some reason it was on my mind so much after reading about the weather warning for you David.  I hope that you and your family and friends will all be safe.

Thinking about all of this has reminded me about how much I have to be grateful for.  Lisa

Hello Day 29

Hope you all had a good day.

The predicted Gale force winds didn’t amount to much here, thank god.

Lisa, your story was both beautiful and horrifying. I’ve never experienced anything like and don’t truly believe I could understand what I would have been like. The sense of community you and your fellow survivors showed was tremendous.

It definitely put things into perspective. The experience would have changed you forever and built a character that few people would ever experience.

We are all truly blessed.

I hope you all have a great day.

We Can Do This!

David

Hello Day 30

How are you all doing?

Well it’s the final day of the second whole 30 for me. It feels so different the second time around. I didn’t have the roller coaster of energy and feelings but still feel like I’ve emerged from this a stronger and healthier person. The NSVs are perhaps a little slower to reveal themselves now but we are still making progress towards our goals.

I’ll pop on the scales tomorrow morning to see how I did.

I’m going to keep going. I think I can definitely improve. The items in particular are.

Better portion control.

Eating more variety of vegetables, less potatoes and sweet potatoes.

Incorporate more consistent exercise into my lifestyle.

Work on relaxing more.

Sleeping longer and better.

What are your plans for moving forward?

Wishing you all a great day.

We Can Do This!

David

morning all,  today is day 23 of round 2 for me.  Things are fine and I really don't even think of (or I should say obsess) about "food" things that I use to think about constantly.  I would have never thought that I could have gone 53 days without things like soft drinks and pasta.  I use to wake up thinking about what to eat.  As soon as I did I would be thinking about what I will eat next, I would measure everything and eat little tiny portions and was always hungry.  I always felt like I was having to not eat things I really wanted.  I know that food is my addiction. 

I don't feel like that any more.  I don't understand it at all.  I have been around foods that I could never control myself with and it doesn't even bother me.  It is a really nice feeling.

Last night I made bbq pork and today with the left overs the menu will be sweet potato sliders.  David - that would be my compliant go to food and my cheat food would be some kind of pasta dish, preferably dripping in some kind of sauce and cheese.  I am really excited for you that you are done with round two.  I can't wait to see how you did.  I hope you are proud of yourself.  This is probably going to improve your health so much.  I think our inside are doing little happy dances.  The way we are taking care of ourselves in regards to what we are eating has to be making it easier on our bodies.

Hope everyone is doing good.  Have a good day. 

Hi everyone

I'm so excited to get on the scales tomorrow. Got my measuring tape in the bathroom ready for when I get up. I know I did better this time around. Still could use a lot of improvement though. Need more variety in the vegetable department still. Need some more recipes for main courses. I've been looking on different sites and finding some that sound good that are compliant. I'm finding so any that say they are but their not. You really have to be careful.

On a different note. I think we sold the house. Just working out the details.

Hello Everyone

I hope you all had a great day.

I’m a little frustrated this morning. I stepped on the scales and have gained a pound. On top of that my cold has gotten worse. I was feeling a little sorry for myself. What a change in attitude from yesterday all because of a number.

I was beating myself up about this on the way into work and then I started thinking about how I felt yesterday. I felt really good about the progress I’ve been making in the last 30 days.

My clothes are fitting better and I feel like I have more energy. My Kendo has improved greatly too, what I believe to be an effect of better nutrition.

I need to focus on the NSVs I’ve had and stay the course. As I said yesterday I can do a lot better and I need to get back to basics in terms of the plan.

I’m going to take today to plan my meals for the next week and be more observant of the portion guidance on the program. I feel that I had gradually been increasing the portions and even though not junk food had been seeking comfort in food again.

Lisa, you have done extremely well and its great that you feel you have better control over your food choices. You must be so happy that you are in such a better place now. Keep it up.

Dawn, good news about the house and excited to see how you get on today. I’ll be looking out for new recipes too. I think I’ve eaten the same meals a bit too often and need a change. Definitely need to get more vegetable variety too and think I need to try and embrace the salads more.

Wishing everyone a great day and a wonderful weekend.

We Can Do This!

David

Well I have mixed feelings this morning. I got on the scale and it says I lost 11 lbs this month. When I told my husband he said something was wrong with the scale cause it said he had lost weight too and he knows he hadn't. He's bee eating the same food I eat. Of course he probably lost some weight too. When I measuredy waist it says I lost almost 2 inches this month. Well until proved otherwise, I'm taking it!!

David sorry you had a small gain on the scale this month. Could be all that exercising your doing. Could just be some new muscle growth. Anyway don't let it get you down. Your doing better and feeling better.

Well I busy today. Finishing the painting on the house, got another showing on house at 3pm, grocery shopping, and a yard sale to get ready for. Glad I have my sons girlfriend here to help me.

Everyone have a fabulous day

Sounds like you guys already have your heads on straight about it, but remember that while W30 often does result in weight loss for people, the eating pattern isn't necessarily about that. It's an aspect that gets focused on a lot in the internet world ("eat til I'm full, still lost weight") but it's only one potential aspect.

Morning,  Today I have the day to myself.  The grandkid's other grandparents are in town from Houston and they are taking care of them today.  Ed is in Arkansas hunting so it's just me.  Last night my daughter came over and we had dinner and caught up on some recorded tv shows.  Today I got up bright and early and hit the yard.  Did all the gardens and now they look fresh neat.  It was exhausting but it feels so good to have it done.  Now I need to take a few minutes and then get started around the house.

David, Dawn - Congrats for making another round of the challenge.  I think you are doing great.  David - my girls are still on it and have not lost any more and some days weigh more but their pants are literally falling off.  If you are exercising I would think you are building muscle.  To have done this for another month has to be very beneficial to you health, body and spirit.  High five to you!  Dawn - I am sure your scale is believable,  Of course you husband probably lost if he is doing this.  Great job on your hard work. 

Hope everyone else is feeling good and happy Friday!

Hi All ~  David - I agree you are probably building more muscle mass which weighs more.. but remember muscle will help burn the fat faster too !!  All the little NSV's are great - your workouts are better, your eating healthier, sleeping better.  And being a good role model for your daughter !

Yes the numbers can be depressing - I am not looking forward to getting on the scale when I am done (cuz I'm hoping for a huge loss - but I know better !!)- but it is what it is.

Dawn - good luck on the house !  and I think you should take those numbers and run !  Tape measures don't lie !  I cheated and measured 1 body part last week - and it was down another inch.   so that is proof that the scale is probably right too.

I'm on Day 21 of #2.   the time sure does fly.    I have to work this weekend - but am planning on doing a bunch of cooking - need to get some meals in the freezer and in the fridge so there is no  "pizza would be easier" nights.  Need to make mayo - want to make the jicama/carrot slaw and some coleslaw. Making the sweet potato bake is also on the list - it was soooo  YUMMY.  Brooke asked to have it for dinner one night.  The spaghetti squash pie was not so much of a hit, the egg didn't get into the squash  so it ended up being squash topped w/ egg bake.  IF I make it again I will combine the egg w/ the squash then add the sausage to the top of that.  

Trying to find some local butchers - that maybe I can some better quality meats without having to buy organic all the time.  But it is proving to be a bit difficult.

I would love to taste a grassfed/organic T-bone !  I bet it would taste AMAZING !!

OK lunch is almost over.   back to the grind

me again - so sorry  meant to write this last night

Lisa- I can not even begin to imagine how difficult it was during that time.  It certainly shows that when people are truly in need, everyone bands together. I am so glad you shared your story !

We have tornados here that cause some terror, but I have been lucky to not have been devasted by one yet.   Although do know people who have.

Hi everyone - hope everyones weekend has gone well.

I have tried 2 times to make mayo today - and both times it broke - I think that the blender got to hot - so I wasted 2 + cups oil  - not sure about you but olive oil here is getting pricey.   I think I had stopped at some point the last time I made it cuz I thought the blender might be getting warm.   So no mayo for me today -

I'm gonna try my hand at making home made mustard.

Today I'm making Czech meatballs, Bora Bora meatballs, a pork and butternut squash stew, and sw potato bake, boiled a bunch of eggs.   Made some curry chicken yesterday, it was pretty good. Froze some so I can start getting a stock in the freezer.

Check in later

Archived