Whole 30 Starting 24/09/14

wholedlyon

Hello Everyone

I hope you had a great weekend. It sounds like you were all busy.

We had a bit of a clear out this weekend, ahead of my daughters birthday in two weeks time. I sorted a bunch of clothes and DVDs that I no longer want or need and will now have to find a home for them. It felt really good just to mark some stuff to get rid of.

My wife was busy in the kitchen yesterday so I didn’t get too much done yesterday, however I planned for this by selecting meals for this week which were relatively quick. No slow cooker or big soup pot action this week.

I made potato salad from theclothesmakethegirl and my breakfast bake. I intend to make coleslaw this week too but feel it would be better to eat my way through the potato salad before making new mayo and coleslaw to prevent wastage.

I’m going to start documenting my meals again and will do that in a food log thread. It’ll allow me to keep track of my food consumption better. Although I was staying compliant, I was snacking and eating a little too much dried fruit and starchy carbs.

Thank for the comments guys, I will continue to focus on the positives. Stressing about the number on the scales is a bad old habit I need to work on.

Dawn, sounds like you are making good progress with the house. Great results too, we should take and celebrate all the victories we can. Hope you did well at the yard sale. We don’t tend to do them here in the UK; the equivalent would be car boot sales I guess.

Kirkor, tat was an important aspect of the Whole 30 and I’d forgotten it. Thank you for reminding me. How are you getting on?

Lisa, sounds like you had a very busy weekend. I sure you enjoyed some free time but missed your grandkids at the same time. You are right, our successes so far have been much more than the sum total on the scales.

Tina, I’m still a big fan of the breakfast bake too. I prefer the cauliflower and spinach recipe to the sweet potato option. I’m looking for some alternative to avoid food boredom. It’s great your daughter is asking for whole 30 meals now.

I make my mayo by hand. My food processor was too powerful and the motor on the stick blender I had burnt out. It tended to get very warm around the time the pitch changes when the mayo starts to thicken. I hope you get the mayo you’re looking for.

Hope you all have a great day.

We Can Do This!

David

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

David - you must have arms of steel !  I couldn't make it by hand - I have carpal tunnel syndrome so my hands fatigue very easily.  Are you sleeping better ?

I had a 1/2 glass of wine last night - was sore in the middle of the night so I couldn't find a comfortable position. and woke w/ headache.  Next Saturday I am going to have a bigger glass and see what happens. 

well back to work

Hi there everyone,  Sounds like everyone is doing good.  I had a busy weekend.  We have a fall bonfire family party every year and it will be Nov. 1st.  We spent the whole weekend "getting ready"  I cleaned, cleaned, cleaned and cleaned some more.  We had to get the garage in order because that's where we put all the food and drinks and we had to build the fire.  I tackled the house doing the things I don't regularly do like the baseboards, ceiling fans......It was exhausting but I feel so good now.  I wish it would stay this way :D

I still feel like I have so much energy.  It is unbelievable to me, I can't keep still.  That helped so much when we were doing all those extra chores. 

Tina - I'm with you about David making the mayo by hand.  I can't even imagine being able to do that.  I read somewhere that when it fails you can still use it to make sauces.  I think it was on this site but don't know where I saw it.  I use a stick blender and I have thought that it was going to burn out because it gets very hot but so far it has done ok.

Well off to do more chores.  We have out of town family staying with us and they are getting here Wednesday so I need to freshen up the guest bedroom. 

Good Morning

How are you all today?

Today flew past; work was busy without being too stressful. Didn’t have much time in the kitchen last night so opted for quick pork and baked potatoes for dinner. Had planned a curry with cauliflower rice but found the cauliflower had went off.

My wife is picking me some up today so I’ll get that done tonight.

Tina, the forearms do tire after a while. I found the coordination was difficult; you need 3 hands to get the slow pour, hold the bowl in place and to whisk the ingredients within an inch of their lives. Tiring but worth it.

Generally sleeping better, longer and deeper and having some weird dreams. It may have coincided with the shorter days because I’ve noticed my sleep improving as the nights have gotten darker earlier.

Carpal tunnel sounds painful I hop it didn’t affect the enjoyment of you glass of wine.

Lisa, the bonfire party sounds like it will be amazing. I’m glad you’re finding an outlet for all your energy now.

Melissa Joulwan has a section on her Mayo How To post about dealing with failures.

http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2010/06/03/the-secret-to-homemade-mayo-patience/

We Can Do This!

David

Morning everyone

Sorry I havent posted on a few days. Just been to tired to think straight. It's all I can do to get meals prepared everyday. I went to ale the Pad Tai last night. Had everything put and started reading the recipe to make sure I hadn forgot anything and of course I did. The spaghetti squash!! Made it anyway. I just used a bag of stir fry veggies I had in the freezer. It came out good.

The Mobile home is supposed to be moved on Friday. I can't wait to get rid of it. Yesterday I spent the day finishing painting, and today I'm finishing the tile work in the kitchen and bathroom. Just a few pieces that need put up I had never finished. Hubby is bust taking off the skirting and digging out my flower beds. It's gonna be another busy day here.

Now to figure out something for dinner tonight. My meal planning isn't very good this week. In fact it nonexistent!! I'm just flying by the seat of my pants.

Sounds like everyone is doing good except for the making of the mayo. I've made 3 batches so far. 1 in the food processor, which made a mess and 2 in the blender. It has kept in the fridge for 3 weeks so far. I have it in a old relish jar with a good tight fitting lid. Made some ranch dressing last night. Got a bit too much fill in it though. Need to adjust it today.

Sorry I haven't been posting to each person like I use to. It's all I can do right now to read and keep up with each of your post through my emails. Hopefully after this house is gone I can finally relax. It's even affecting my sleep now. I'm waking up at 4:30-5am each morning with mind racing about what needs to be done still and worried that the new owners won't get it off our property by the time the county wants it off. I just want to relax and get some sleep.

Well I'm off to finish my coffee and make some breakfast. Talk to everyone soon.

Hey everyone

Taking a break and making dinner. Mexican meatloaf and mashed potatoes with a salad and homemade ranch dressing. Made the dressing yesterday. It's pretty good doesn't taste exactly like ranch but it's good.

Well we got all the painting done and skirting removed. Now tomorrow I have the tile to finish and I'm done. Just a little cleanup inside. Hubby still has the front porch to take apart. And he's done except for picking up trash the dogs took under the house. Our dog Bandit lives up to his name. If it's not nailed down he steals it. Lol.

About the mayo, has anyone tried using avacado oil? Bonnie did and said it was great. I'm trying it next week. I'm almost out of mayo after making ranch yesterday. I use my blender to make it. No way I could do it by hand. I need to make BBQ sauce too.

Hope everyone has a great night.

Hi everyone,  Still running around the house straightening up.  Our company comes tomorrow so wanted to get some last minute things done.  I haven't been doing much cooking but I found some marinara sauce at Costco with no sugar.  I was not sure I would like it because I like sweet spaghetti sauce but it was really good.  I took some deer back strap and some Italian sausage that we had made and just cooked it in the sauce with some onions, mushrooms and garlic.  I let it thicken up so it was more like a thick stew with red gravy.  I had that with sugar snap peas and salad. 

Dawn - You must be exhausted.  I hope you take some time to celebrate all of your hard work, it should feel wonderful when it's all done. 

Day 30 is the day before my party.  I am anxious to see how I did and wondering how strong I will be with all that food around me.  It's an all day event and all my relative bring their "special" dishes.  It might be the first time I let go since I started this.  I trying to talk myself into eating my own food and sticking to it but I don't know. 

Hope you all have a good night.

Good Morning

I hope you all had a great day yesterday.

I had a productive evening in the kitchen last night, I made a Massaman curry for the first time, made a batch of cauliflower rice and have a Ziploc bag of tandoori chicken marinating in the fridge.

Dawn, you’re nearly there. You have put in a huge amount of work over the past month and will be able to relax when it’s all complete. You can do this.

I hope when things settle down you can get back into your routine and start enjoying your meals once more.

Nom Nom Paleo has a recipe on her site for making Avocado oil Mayo. I’ve not found any locally so have never tried it.

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/3440774534/paleo-mayonnaise

Tina, let us know how the avocado oil experiment goes.

Lisa, it sounds like you’re still working hard at preparing the house for your guests. I hope you can relax when they arrive and enjoy the occasion, whether you choose to indulge or not.

I’d love to find some easy complaint sauces that I could use. I think I’ll need to have a look again. There are a few “paleo” webistes now in the UK but their focus seems to be more on paleo treats and paleo baking than Whole 30 compliant staples.

Kirkor, glad to hear you’re doing well. I hope you enjoyed the cider

Wishing everyone a great day.

We Can Do This!

David

Hi Everyone,

I'm still here!  Well not really I guess since I haven't been checking in much.  But as I approach Day 60 there is some definite re-examining that needs to take place.  I'm excited and nervous all the same.  I've been keeping a daily journal since about day 20 which has been a great tool.  I can really look back and see patterns clearly.  It's kept me honest and accountable.  Even on the days I have overdone it on fruit or snacks I've written it all down along with notes on how it made me feel.  It's a bit time consuming and while I'd like to continue journaling after day 60 it's probably not very realistic.  Trying to figure out a way to keep some of these good habits in the 'real world'.  For the last two months I've been very food-focused which is great.  But I know I need to let go of some of my stricter ways in order to make this work.  I've accomplished some really amazing goals in a short matter of time like getting more sleep every night and creating my own meals without recipes.  

I'm happy to see people are still here making progress with every day.  This experience has been so eye-opening.  I realize now it's not about being my version of perfect...just my version of what works.  Reintroduction is going to be an interesting challenge for me.  I'm about to head over to that section of the forum and do more 'research'.  

Good luck to everyone today; tomorrow and this week!  Keep doing what you're doing :)

Hi everyone,  Just got back from doing the shopping for the party.  I was prepared for about $100 and it came to $78 so I was happy about that.  I am making a very large pot of a mexican type soup, 2 cornbread casseroles, a pepper jelly cheese ball and we are frying fish.  (thinking about you Dawn)  I'll have some simple things like dips and chips and everything else will be brought by friends and family.  We have tons of food but a lot of people come and they be here from 2 p.m. until..... we'll do the fire at dark.  Now that I'm talking about this I realize I forgot the stuff for smores.

I think tomorrow is my day 30.  I'll weigh in and see what the second go round did.  I know I lost a little more weight and the energy level is still over the top.  I like that part a lot, hope to stays with me. 

Hope you all have a great night.

Hey everyone

Lisa what type of Mexican soup are you making? My husband has a pot of Chili Verde in the crock pot right now. We make a few different soups and stews all winter long. We do a lot of Mexican cooking live right here next to Mexico.

Hey Kate. Glad to hear you're doing good. Keep it up.

David. Hope you get all that cooking done. And when you're done come and do mine for me. lol if you're on Facebook, they have a whole30 recipe page that you can join. It's got some good recipes that I've seen so far.

Tina. I'm still hanging in there. Managed to get in a nice chicken dinner tonight.

Well we sign contracts tomorrow evening. Hope everything goes smoothly. Then the house gets moved to their property next week. Can't wait till its gone. Off to bed. Check in tomorrow if I get a chance.

What's everyone's re-intro plan?  I've done hard cider and potato chips so far.  Might do oats or rice next.  Then probably soy, just because I've got canned tuna that has the "vegetable broth (may contain soy)" stuff in it.  Probably hold off on dairy for a while longer.  I'm already gluten free so no re-intro there.  I've got some lentils on the shelf, but in general I don't find legumes to be too much of a draw.

Good Morning.

I hope you had a great day yesterday.

Feel really good, tired and sore from a good kendo session last night. I’ll be at my first tournament on Saturday and Sunday which will be a great learning experience.

Kate, its great to hear from you. You must be so happy to be at day 60, what are the improvements you’ve been most happy with?

The journaling sounds like a great idea and seems to have helped you a lot. You’ll have a log of your experience and it’ll make it easier to see how you reacted to certain situations. I imagine it’ll come in handy for the reintroduction phase too. What are you going to try first?

Lisa, sounds like you’ve prepared a real feast for the occasion. With the colder weather coming in here, a little later than usual, I feel a pot of soup would be great on a cold day. Do you have a recipe for the Mexican soup? Sounds interesting.

Hope your weigh goes well, although the energy levels you have now will be making you feel awesome regardless of that number.

Dawn, great to hear you’ve almost finalised the house sale. I quickly googled Chilli Verde and it sounds delicious. I haven’t seen tomatillos here would there be a substitution for them?

What’s the name of the Facebook page and I’ll have a look. More recipe ideas are always good, especially since tomorrow is meal plan and food shop day.

We Can Do This

David

Hey everyone

David the Facebook page is called Whole30 Recipe Exchange. Look me up as well. Dawn Cloakey

I have no plan to do a reintro till January. We're cooking a bunch of compliant dishes for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I'm sure I will cheat and have stuffing and some dessert but no dairy. The desserts we're making are low sugar.

In January I'm going Paleo so not many items being reintroduced.

David. The people I've talked to says to use green tomatoes with a little lime juice. Hope this helps. Have you looked for canned tomatillos in the Mexican food section at your grocery? My husband found on the Internet that the UK carries tomatillos in cans.

Hi everyone  ~ 

Kirkor - I'm feelin a little nim witted - what is hard cider?  do you mean liquor ?   How did that work for you ?   I am thinking about re-introing alcohol, but am going to start w/ wine.  My favorites are gin, and other hard liquors.

Went out for dinner with my daughter - had a salad the pecans were candied and the salad dressing had sugar and there was some sort of cheese on it.  We will see how I feel tomorrow.

I need to shred my rutabaga so that I can make that in the morning for breakfast - I'm running out of veggies again ! and ideas.

M 1  was sw potato bake

M2  was Czech meatballs & asparagus

M3  the above mentioned salad.

Tomorrow will probably be a repeat of today. Minus the salad.(atleast the restaurant version)

I survived Customer service appreciation week.  Monday was Baked Potato Bar, (no reason to eat a potato if I can only have butter (ok ghee)), donuts on Tues,  Wed was tacos, today was French toast stix.   I'm not sure if I like the smell of cinnamon any more after today !

I think I will check out that FB page....

Good Morning, Happy Halloween

I hope you are all well.

Not quite a Halloween horror story, however, I got home last night, hungry with plans to make a curry.

I opened the kitchen cupboard; there was no coconut milk……

After the screams of terror subsided I composed myself and made chicken and vegetables for dinner. Happy ending.

Kirkor, I’m not planning to do any reintro for a while. I still feel I have some demons to overcome before I start incorporating some non compliant foods again.

Dawn, Great news on the house, what a relief.

I checked the FB group and it says it’s a closed group. I’ve sent a friend request to you, I’m David Lyon.

I’ve never seen tomatillos in my local stores but will have a look online. We don’t have a Mexican section in our stores; the closest we have is world foods which for my local area comprise American junk food, Caribbean spice blends, and Sushi components and polish foods. I’ll keep looking.

Tina, congratulations on surviving a tough week of temptation. How do you feel today after the salad? Good luck with the wine reintroduction.

Hope everyone has a great day and a fabulous weekend.

We Can Do This!

David

Happy Halloween,  Today is my day 30.  First time lost 4.9 lbs, second time 2.6lbs,  Total of 7.5.  I am happy with that.  I think what I like the most is that 1 - the abundance of energy and 2 - the fact that my longing and cravings seem totally under control.  Things that use to drive me crazy don't seem to bother me at all.  Hope it continues. Not planning on making many changes with eating right now.  Will have little cheats here and there but I like what this feels like.

David, loved the halloween story, I imagined the spooky music playing in the background as you open the cabinet door looking for the coconut milk.  I went to the facebook page that Dawn told us about and requested to join.  They confirmed later that day.

Dawn, glad you signed on your house.  It must be a huge relief.  My soup for the party is not compliant with diet but is delicious and not horribly bad.  It has chicken, sausage, black beans, corn, green chili, fire roasted tomatoes and more,  If you still want the recipe even though it's not for whole 30 let me know and I'll pass it on. 

Hope everyone has a great day and a good weekend. 

Oh, meant to tell the other day --- my friend in another state who was doing the same 30 days as me lost 15lbs! :-O

I didn't lose any weight, but didn't really want/need to, plus I eat like a horse. :)

I was given some candy corn/peanut mix yesterday ... my kryptonite! **BUT** I'm bringing it to the office and let those jackals have it.

Archived