wouldnt it be SO COOL

123go

Yes, I'm learning that some places put barcodes on whole foods--this isn't the case at my co-op, so I had no idea.

I still think one can identify fruits and veggies as whole, compliant foods, barcode or not, but with them, I guess there's no harm in scanning something in to be sure.

Whole Foods and supermarkets add barcodes to foods so they can scan them at check out to ring you up. 

Even packaged things like tapioca or arrowroot, or cans of coconut milk will have a bar code from the manufacturer or packager.

This has been standard practice in most retail outlets for some years now.  

123go was hoping for a W30 app that would scan a barcode to see if an item at the store was compliant/approved. 

I imagine this would require whoever prints the barcodes to add some W30 code to them. We are a long way from that. 

Fortunately, if we have the ability to see and read, we can still read the ingredients on a package, and that will easily tell us if something is compliant. 

How great is that!

Whole fruits and veggies that aren't labelled with ingredients, are whole fruits and veggies with no added ingredients. 

Supermarkets tend to package the organic fruit and vege to differentiate it from non-organic at the checkout (otherwise you might try to pay standard price for those organics, you cheeky devil!).

The manufacturer wouldn't actually need to do anything - the Whole 9 team would have to create an app loaded with every single food item barcode (much like My Fitness Pal) and all of it's ingredients, and create a code that flags items with non-compliant ingredients. Ie. A whole lot of work.

• 3 weeks later...

Darkbloodangell, or instead of scanning that ingedient list into your smartphone you could just scan it with your eyes, and if there is sugar you will immediately know that it is not compliant because a red flag would go up in your brain. Yes, that would be so cool! ;)

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived