What oil do you use in the Mayo

ConnieLMT

Extra light tasting olive oil is the standard.

I've been using avocado oil recently and really like it. Just make sure you get one that is clear and scentless...if it is green you will get awful mayo. I also have enjoyed macadamia nut oil.

The most important thing is that the oil is mild and light.

• Moderators

Light olive oil. You may have to look a little harder in the grocery store to find light olive oil, but it is cheaper than extra virgin. 

I used extra virgin once because I assumed the light olive oil was recommended in order to save money. Oops. Extra virgin olive oil makes a very bitter tasting mayo. :)

coconut oil! If I'm going to do mayo I use half-and-half melted coconut oil and light-yellow avocado oil or macadamia nut oil. I've done all coconut oil before, but sometimes it gets too hard in the fridge and doesn't reconstitute well, so I've gone back to 1/2 and 1/2.

• 2 weeks later...

I started out with avocado oil but didn't care for the after taste that much.  I'd eat it but I had been avoiding the light olive oil recipes because every time I had tried olive oil (yes, light), the stuff never emulsified.  I now realize it was technique, not ingredients, and I'll never go back to avocado oil.  All hail, Well Fed Olive Oil Mayo.

• Administrators

I use the avocado oil that you get in the big 1L bottle at Costco.  Love it and buy a bottle every week just in case they stop carrying it at some point....as Costco is notorious for!

Every week I think I should try making it (I use the Well Fed recipe) with lime juice instead of lemon (or even ACV) but then I get all gunshy because if it sucks, I have a week of crappy mayo...and my mayo addiction will not tolerate that!

Anyone else switch from lemon juice to another acid? 

Archived