Queasy and Sick During Entire Whole30

Hi!

I finished my Whole 30 earlier this month. I'm concerned and frustrated because I was sick from week 2 - week 4. Not "I have a cold" sort of sick (nor am I pregnant). I had no appetite, was queasy and had headache's all the time. I believe I ate a lot, so I am really confused as to what happened. Also good to note I am extremely active and worked out 4-5 days a week for at least one hour.

A couple days worth of meals:

*Whenever I had eggs, I ate 3.

Meal 1: Scrambled eggs with bell peppers, onions and sometimes avocado

Meal 2: 4-5oz steak with 1-2 cups Brussels sprouts or asparagus and 1/2 cup potatoes

Meal 3: 4-5 oz pork with 1-2 cups cauliflower or broccoli or 4 cups kale/spinach salad with a tessamae dressing

Snack: (had to or I was ravenous) cashews and almonds (only 1/4 cup)

---

Meal 1: yam hash with onion, bell peppers, poached eggs (totaled about 1.5 cups)

Meal 2: 4-5 oz chicken with 1 cup mashed cauliflower

Meal 3:4-5oz pork or steak with 1-2 cups mixed veggies (broccoli, Brussels sprouts, sweet potato)

Snack: cashews and almonds (1/4 cup)

---

I'm thinking I'm sensitive to avocado, because I was especially queasy after that... Anyone have an idea? It makes me really sad I felt terrible most of the time (only the first week was ok, it went down hill after that).

• Administrators

Aw, that sucks, sorry you went through the whole 30 days feeling that way!

I suspect that your fat consumption was too low (most of the meals that you note don't list a fat) and if you were working out for an hour, 4-5 days a week, you're missing 4-5 days worth of Pre and Post workout meals.  These aren't optional, they are required.

If you think avocado is a culprit, use olive oil, sesame oil, homemade mayo, lard or olives for the fats.  Limit the nuts as they can be hard on some people.

What was your diet like before? Maybe you are actually eating more fat than you are used to, and your body isn't processing it well? I will occasionally get queasy when I eat a really fatty (and therefore delicious!) pork chop. You could try digestive enzymes for awhile to see if that helps. 

I would say you weren't eating enough. Those portions are small for me, and I'm a small inactive female. You also need pre and post-workout food.

The food we eat is really nutrient-rich, but it is not calorie rich, so you may find you have to eat mire than seems logical, but I would seriously give it a go.

Pre-whole30, I often felt hunger as nausea, do you think that's what could be happening?

The avos could give you stomach distress (I know I personally cannot eat them because of tummy distress) but so could the nuts.  And so could the amount of cruciferous veggies  (ie: broccoli, cauliflower, kale, brussel sprouts).  I noticed you're eating a lot of them.

Nuts are well known for causing stomach distress.  They are not an ideal fat source.  So go easy on them.  They also disrupt my sleep (I am serious)

Cruciferous veggies - At one point in my whole 30/whole 9 life eating I wanted to lose more weight so I decided to go very low carb.  I ate a ton of cruciferous veggies.  This was a very bad idea.  I got bloated and constipated (sorry TMI) and was very uncomfortable for about 3 weeks.  I couldn't really figure out what was going on.  Until i realized that every veggie that I was consuming was considered a goitrogren and was possibly irritating my gut to the point of causing some inflammation.  I fixed it by scaling it back.  And anytime I ate broccoli I had to eat some sweet potato along with it.  Now I did notice that you are consuming potatoes, sweet potatoes and such so I'm not worried there.  Just try to scale back on the cruciferous veggies to maybe once a day.  And maybe try and explore some other veggies like zucchini or squash, or carrots, or beets.....or.....

Thank you for commenting!

I'm definitely eating better fats now than I was before. I cooked with lots of ghee and coconut oil, possibly not enough? I definitely didn't have pre or post workout snacks.

Carlaccini: From reading about your experience, it can definitely be the cruciferous veggies. All of them are my favorite, haha! I'll just have to branch out!

Starting November 3rd I'm doing the Whole7, so let's see how it goes with these changes! If I feel better, I'll extend the time. I'm really weary of doing it again, understandably I'm sure; but I'm trying!

Thanks y'all!

Archived