Fatigue increase since whole 30 AIP?

Hello this is day 4 of my whole30.

I am very very tired and noticed a flare of my symptoms last night. 

Could this be my body adjusting ?

My food log looks like this 

Morning - 

Soaked Chia Seeds ( I need this for Lyme) 

Water 

1 small sweet potato 

Handful of blueberries

1/2 cup shredded organic chicken breast steamed 

Lunch is going to be - 

Fish Tacos 

Cabbage leaf 

steamed trout 

salsa - mango, avocado, garlic powder, lime 

lettuce 

Dinner is yet to be decided 

Am I doing something wrong ?

I don't see enough protein in your meals.  You don't need to measure out shredded chicken in 1/2 cups.    I have an idea about Lyme...why not ditch those chia seeds completely.  I think you can get by without them for 30 days.

There are people using the template in the way it was designed to treat all kinds of medical conditions...AIP and gasp, even cancer.

Yes and they survive and thrive.   If you ditch the chia seeds and follow the guidelines, you may feel so much better than you were.  Can you add eggs and meat to your meals or are you following a vegetarian style plan?

It looks like fruit might be shoving vegetables off of your plate.  :huh: 

I don't see enough protein in your meals.  You don't need to measure out shredded chicken in 1/2 cups.    I have an idea about Lyme...why not ditch those chia seeds completely.  I think you can get by without them for 30 days.

There are people using the template in the way it was designed to treat all kinds of medical conditions...AIP and gasp, even cancer.

Yes and they survive and thrive.   If you ditch the chia seeds and follow the guidelines, you may feel so much better than you were.  Can you add eggs and meat to your meals or are you following a vegetarian style plan?

It looks like fruit might be shoving vegetables off of your plate.  :huh: 

Ok I will save the seeds for another time. They cost a fortune anyway  :mellow:

I can add eggs and meat (grass fed of course ) I do miss eggs and I dont think I have an intolerance to them. I would love to make an egg type muffin for breakfast. 

So you are saying more veg and less fruit? 

Thank you so much for helping me. 

You need to eat maybe 3 times as much as you are eating. Seriously, you are not eating nearly enough. Study the meal planning template and get the volume of your food up!

http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

Oh dear  I feel like a total pig when I eat more. Last night I had to stop myself and said NO MORE haha

Are you saying eat til you are full? 

I think I need to reajust my eating to more like what you are saying. 

Thank you for your advice! Follow the protocol as you are saying! 

Whewww.   What a relief....you're open for suggestions!  I've been busy looking up the chia seed posts from Tom but I can't find them.

I'm still searching.   Yes... more vege rather than fruits.   Vege first, fruit after.

Oh, and guess what, egg muffins are alright.   You barely ate enough for a fruit fly. :D   

Tom Denham - Whole9 EE says

25 July, 2011 at 3:04 pm

Bjorn – Glad you like the recipes!

Bananas are okay during your Whole30. Limiting fruit is generally a good idea, especially if you really like sweets because fruit can be a crutch, but there is no problem with eating some. I try to eat two bananas every day because I have fewer foot cramps when I am eating bananas regularly. Flax seed is technically okay too, but flax is high in omega 6 fatty acids and that makes it one of those things best enjoyed on a limited basis

Tom Denham - Whole9 EE says26 July, 2011 at 2:32 pm

– During your Whole30, if you focus on eating a wide variety of good foods, you probably won’t eat too much of any one thing. About carbs, your body converts protein to carbs, so eating carbs directly is not your only source of fuel. However, an active athlete benefits from eating a quality starch like sweet potatoes, so go ahead and eat them. I like sweet potatoes and probably eat one every day, but butternut squash or yucca are other reasonable choices.

• Moderators

Just a reminder -- if you're going to do the AIP version of Whole30, eggs are not allowed on that. Obviously, it's your decision what you want to do, but they are not okay for AIP.

Have you done a Whole30 before? If not, you might want to do just the regular W30 without the extra restrictions of the AIP version, and then, if you don't get the relief you were hoping for, you can continue with the AIP version. Even some people with autoimmune issues find some relief from the regular version, although others find they need the full AIP version to really experience relief.

What I like about the whole30 AIP as it falls inline with what I am meant to be eating.

The jury is out on whether or not you can eat eggs concerning Lyme or MS. Some people do some people dont. It depends on the reactions and then they eliminate

Just a reminder -- if you're going to do the AIP version of Whole30, eggs are not allowed on that. Obviously, it's your decision what you want to do, but they are not okay for AIP.

Have you done a Whole30 before? If not, you might want to do just the regular W30 without the extra restrictions of the AIP version, and then, if you don't get the relief you were hoping for, you can continue with the AIP version. Even some people with autoimmune issues find some relief from the regular version, although others find they need the full AIP version to really experience relief.

Hi Shannon I have never done the whole30 beore this is the first time. I am thinking maybe to start with the whole30 regular protocol. Lyme is really hard to treat i know I should be drinking way more water also to flush out the toxins but thats another kettle of fish!  :rolleyes: I can see Shannon that you are a veteran at the whole30 and I am going to have a look at the regular protocol. 

It would be interesting to see anyone else with MS to see if they have done this and what results they have had and what protocol they did. 

It would be interesting to see anyone else with MS to see if they have done this and what results they have had and what protocol they did. 

Have you read about Terry Wahls, MD.  She is controlling and even improving her MS essentially following something similar to Whole30.  I say similar because s she formulated her eating protocol on her own. It entails, in part, eating NINE (9), yes NINE!, cups of vegetables per day.  I'm not saying to do her protocol. I think it is good testimonial though to follow the Whole 30.  So, to answer your question"should I be eating more vegetables?" The resounding answer is: YES!

Good Luck!!

Welcome! I would start with the regular protocol just to get your feet wet and see how you feel. Most people have amazing results. The AIP can be really hard. It will take some time for your body to adjust to the amounts of food. Don't eat until you are stuffed but if you are starving after two hours then eat leftovers or a mini meal with protein, veggies and fat. You are in a delicate state and you may need to take things slow. Your body may not do well with harsh adjustments. Check out the book revive (used to be called spent) this book is for people that need to change their diet slowly instead of removing everything at once you remove foods one at a time over 6 weeks. Good Luck!

I can add eggs and meat (grass fed of course ) I do miss eggs and I dont think I have an intolerance to them. I would love to make an egg type muffin for breakfast. 

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/19094-need-help-doing-aip-whole30-tips-tricks-howtos/?hl=%2Bchia+%2Bseeds#entry209665

• bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  •  

Posted 29 June 2014 - 09:26 PM

Hi all, I am on my second W30, first one I did no eggs or nightshades and this one is full AIP. I'm Day 21. 

Going well. 

@dansedino, flax, chia and cocoa are out on AIP as all are seeds. Coconut products are ok. 

I have found that prepping is the key to success and I too do a big cook up on Sundays with several proteins and especially condiments AIP style. I was a big almond butter gal but have found that coconut butter works as a good sub. 

I do miss mayo, can't lie to ya.  I happily eat a regular/small meal at breakfast and really don't miss eggs. The spices are the hardest thing I think - I love coriander and cumin. But there are plenty of herbs and spices you CAN have, so I focus on that. If you have a protein, some veggies, and a saucy sauce, you're good to go. 

I love this sauce. I leave out the red pepper flakes. Couple meals a week I'll have spaghetti squash with grilled chicken, this sauce, and a big handful of parsley. SO GOOD. 

http://nomnompaleo.c...y-miracle-sauce

There really are tons of good recipes out there that can easily be made AIP. 

I have Mickey Trescott's book but also find it easy to modify recipes from Nom Nom Paleo - love her website and book. 

I recommend these websites:

http://autoimmune-paleo.com/

http://www.phoenixhelix.com/

http://aiplifestyle.com/

http://www.thepaleom...immune-protocol

http://terrywahls.co...ut-terry-wahls/

•  

"The short answer: chia is not encouraged in general, but fine for your Whole30.

The long answer: I'm actually regretting classifying this as a pseudo-cereal in It Starts With Food - we will probably edit this out in the next edition. Mat Lalonde calls it a pseudo-cereal, Robb Wolf says it's not necessarily health food but probably not problematic, and Mark Sisson classifies it as pretty much the same as flax and hemp seed.

We've always taken the Sisson approach - because of the nutrient profile, we believe it falls more into the flax/hemp category than the buckwheat/quinoa category. Those foods - flax, hemp, and chia - are not encouraged because of their particular fatty acid profile, but they are highly unlikely to be problematic in the same way other grains are during your Whole30. Therefore, they're in - not encouraged, but not banned."

I love this one.  :D 

Tom Denham

Whole9 Moderator/First Whole30 May 2010

• photo-thumb-6.jpg?_r=1403697759
  • Moderators
  • w9team.png
  • 5441 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, Georgia, USA

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:03 AM

Chia seeds are marketed as a good source of omega3 fatty acids. They are if you are a cow. Chia seeds include ALA, a form of omega3s that humans cannot convert efficiently to the form of omega3s that our bodies actually use - DHA and EPA. So, chia seeds are a source of calories with little nutritional value. You can have them, but you want them because a marketer misled you about them.  :)

Everything every one else said is true. Smoothies suck and protein powder is not real food. 

Smoothies suck and protein powder is not real food.   Truer words were never spoken.  I don't care what kind of protein powder it is, it can never come close to real foods.   Eat if you must, but whey and soy protein powders raise your blood sugar and not in a good way.

WOW the response has been overwhelming.

:o

Thank you so much everyone !!!!!

You have all been so helpful.

Last night I nearly caved and had some rice chips ( they are now staring at me from the kitchen bench )

This is a sign I am not eating enough I think.

My dad dropped me off 300.00 dollars worth of food vouchers so I hope to use them to get some good food into me! 

tonight the weather is HORRIBLE especially with those with AI conditions for those in america its about 102 outside.

What can be a quick easy fresh dish to make as I will have no energy when I get home?  :ph34r:

I have noted that my stomach is flatter and im sleeping slightly better and its day 4!!!! WOW 

Make sure you're getting enough fat too. Lots of vitamins require fat to be metabolized, so if you're not getting enough, you won't absorb all the goodies :)

If you find it hard to eat enough in 3 meals a day, take it up to 4 or 5, just stick to the template (protein, veg, fat) and go easy on the fruit if you're trying to eat more. Some people also find cruciferous or raw veggies make them feel fuller than regular cooked veggies.

Archived