Hormonal headaches

JustJoyce

I am Day 12 of my first Whole 30, I am 53 years old, and I have suffered with hormonal headaches for over a year related to menopause.

The headaches were cyclical and were very bad (horrible, actually - very painful with nausea and sometimes vomiting) until I found an herbal supplement that helped. I would still get headaches, but the intensity was much reduced.

Since going on the Whole 30 program, my headaches have increased in frequency (but not intensity, thank God), and increased hot flashes too. The worse thing about these headaches is I cannot sleep them off. If I lay down, the headache gets worse, Since they tend to strike in the wee hours of the morning (between 3:00 and 4:00am), and I HAVE to get up to stop it from getting worse, my sleep is suffering, to say the least.

Has anyone else experienced intensification of menopausal symptoms? I know that going off the program at this point probably won't help, and trying to find some hormonal balance is one of the reasons I wanted to try Whole30, but if someone offered me a Twinkie right now and told me it would get rid of the headaches, I would eat a whole box!

• Administrators

I'm not menopausal (35 yo) but I get hormonal migraines every month and the first period I got while in Whole 30 (at Day 8-15) my migraine was longer and more intense and once it went away, hit again 2 days later for a few days.  it was awful.

I suspect that even though I came from a reasonably healthy place before Whole30, it was enough of a change in meal timing and portioning that my entire hormonal system was in flux and that made everything worse.  I've had a cycle since then and while I still got the migraine for three days it wasn't nearly as intense and didn't come back.

I've taken on faith that increasing starchy veggies in the week before the period helps and have done so.  Whether it really works or not, I can't say for certain but I love all of the starchies so I'm happy to do it.  I also try to drink gallons of water leading up because once I get the migraine all the muscles in my head & face contract and I find it uncomfortable to open my mouth for a few days.

Twinkies won't help your headache go away although I totally get why you'd eat them, when I have migraine one of the only non-nauseating things I can think of to eat is sugar..............so I get on the sweet potatoes and roasted beets.

Good luck!

I've had similar experiences.  I'm peri now, so my hot flashes and headaches are still pretty sporadic but clearly related to my cycle.  I started a Whole30 in early Oct, took the last week of the month off from it (due to travel) and then went back on again November 1.  The late October cycle I had (right before my week off Whole30) was crazy.  Headaches all over the place and repeat hot flashing...but yet my typical PMS symptoms (cramps, bloating) were much, much lighter.  I'm really curious to see how November's cycle turns out since I do feel like I've turned a corner with my Whole30 in many other areas.

In the past, I did find that getting on a Whole30 would mess with all my symptoms but staying on it really helped even things out over time.  I hope you are experiencing the same thing and that your next cycle is easier!

HI - this string is a few days old but I am having a really hard time with headaches in general.  I've been managing migraines my entire life.  Recently I went off of a daily Topamax and overall my headaches were better.  Part of doing W30 was to see if there were additional food triggers.  I'd hoped this would make things even better.  I am celiac so already GF for 15 years.

I hear ya justjoyce:

Since beginning my headaches have been off the charts horrible.  Vestibular which I have not had in years, hormonal (dull and will.not.go.away) and the general headbanger.  Almost daily I either wake up with a headache or get one at some point in the day.  It is driving me insane. 

I am wondering if the 3 meals a day while good for hormonal resets and other things ie cravings management is not working in terms of blood sugar regulation or something.  Grasping at straws here as I can't go on like this.  I will finish my W30 as I agree - bad foods certainly won't help but seriously considering an appt with my neurologist.  I am adding in vitamins which I am not taking (ribo, D3 and magnesium)  Probably not all W30 :angry: but desperate here.

On another note, I have not had 1 hotflash since beginning W30.  I am 48, was having them at night... not a single one.  I guess that is a win.

HI - this string is a few days old but I am having a really hard time with headaches in general.  I've been managing migraines my entire life.  Recently I went off of a daily Topamax and overall my headaches were better.  Part of doing W30 was to see if there were additional food triggers.  I'd hoped this would make things even better.  I am celiac so already GF for 15 years.

I hear ya justjoyce:

Since beginning my headaches have been off the charts horrible.  Vestibular which I have not had in years, hormonal (dull and will.not.go.away) and the general headbanger.  Almost daily I either wake up with a headache or get one at some point in the day.  It is driving me insane. 

I am wondering if the 3 meals a day while good for hormonal resets and other things ie cravings management is not working in terms of blood sugar regulation or something.  Grasping at straws here as I can't go on like this.  I will finish my W30 as I agree - bad foods certainly won't help but seriously considering an appt with my neurologist.  I am adding in vitamins which I am not taking (ribo, D3 and magnesium)  Probably not all W30 :angry: but desperate here.

On another note, I have not had 1 hotflash since beginning W30.  I am 48, was having them at night... not a single one.  I guess that is a win.

Could you give us a few days of what your food, activity, water, sleep, and stress look like? What day of your Whole30 are you on?

hi Physibeth - thanks for reviewing... I am on day 17.  I did actually start one week prior which was bad timing (but hubby was on board) as I had a weekend trip to wine country.  I was food compliant but did drink red wine on 2 days so started over on 10/27 so officially day 17.

Food:

typical breakfast:  1/4 of an 8 egg frittata with heaps of veggies sautéed in ghee, often there is home made sausage in the frittata, 1/4 avocado, salsa, coffee with home made almond milk (only cinnamon added) a persimmon, other breakfasts: huge pile of shredded veggie hash: onion, zucchini, carrot, sweet potato, with a palm of home made sausage, 1/4 avocado. 

typical lunch: 1/2 of a sweet potato, palm of some sort of ground meat, a heap sautéed onions, peppers and kale, 1/4 avocado

typical dinner: (this is harder...no typical dinner for us.)  home made ground sausage sautéed with onions and mushrooms, add homemade tomato sauce to create a ragu on spaghetti squash (a good 2 cups) drizzled with olive oil.  Salad of tomatoes and basil with oil and vinegar.  or Salmon baked on a bed of cabbage, orange slices and fennel.  Served with a salad. 

I've added a daily sweet potato as I know (from Paleo) that too low carb makes me feel out of it and light headed.  I am not doing this with any low-carb intent.

One more thing - there are often huge stretches between meals due to scheduling.  Like today, at breakfast at 6am but lunch won't be until 1:30, dinner not likely then until 6:30 or 7.  I've been eating only meals, no snacking....and wondering if the headaches are coming from the large stretches.  I don't get hungry but is there something else about the timing?

I am not between meal snacking

water is probably 40 oz a day or more

exercise is nil right now due to headaches (Pilates 2-3 times per week) when headache free I do 30 mins of cardio a day

I've been sleeping great, through the night although since daylight savings I wake up naturally between 4:45-5:00am - one hour earlier than normal  To bed by 10 

Honestly the only stress right now is the headaches.  Otherwise all is good, I feel fantastic, work is good, kid is in college.  Pretty easy street right now in all other ways.

I have been Paleofor long stretches in the past so the way I feel overall is similar.  The headaches were no better, but not worse as has been the case here.  Could be menopause?  I don't know but 17 days ago this was not the case.

Any insight is so appreciated!!

For water intake optimal is around 1/2 your body weight in ounces, so you might want to try upping that. I know I tend to get headaches when I'm dehydrated. On days when there is a long stretch between meals you could either try eating a larger meal or have a mini meal with fat, protein, and veg to help tide you over. Your meals look pretty good and seem to be following the meal template on the low end. You might try adding another starchy vegetable in another meal and see if that helps as well. Are you getting that first meal in within an hour of waking (it looks like it...just confirming). 

Beyond that I'm tapped out. I do see a lot of nightshades and FODMAPS in your meals but I don't know enough about those to know if they could be contributing to your headaches, but might be worth doing some internet research.

Hi Phisibeth - thanks for reviewing and your input

I definitely get headaches when dehydrated so will concentrate on more water.  Lack of sleep is an issue now, could be an issue. Insomnia has always been a downside of Paleo for me. Not different doing W30.

I had thought of the nightshades thing but seriously groaned at the prospect of them being an issue...I eat them at almost every meal.  It would be heartbreaking to eliminate. I've been upping the starch a bit and trying to plan a mini-meal for the big stretches. It has been the case my entire life that what works for the masses wrt headaches, doesn't work for me so onward and upward. It won't slow me down, the rest of the benefits are there and maybe it will just take more time.  thanks again!

Hi Phisibeth - thanks for reviewing and your input

I definitely get headaches when dehydrated so will concentrate on more water.  Lack of sleep is an issue now, could be an issue. Insomnia has always been a downside of Paleo for me. Not different doing W30.

I had thought of the nightshades thing but seriously groaned at the prospect of them being an issue...I eat them at almost every meal.  It would be heartbreaking to eliminate. I've been upping the starch a bit and trying to plan a mini-meal for the big stretches. It has been the case my entire life that what works for the masses wrt headaches, doesn't work for me so onward and upward. It won't slow me down, the rest of the benefits are there and maybe it will just take more time.  thanks again!

Great attitude to have! If Insomnia and paleo seem to go hand in hand for you then I would definitely try to focus on getting your carbs up. I find I sleep the best when I have carbs in the evening but have been trying to get some starchy vegetable at every meal as I teach group fitness classes. I sleep so much better when I'm conscience of this. If you are not wanting to try removing nightshades yet then make other tweeks first and see how that goes after a few weeks. Trying 1-2 things at a time will help you identify the real issues.

Good tip and thank you!  I have not been doing this to go "low carb". I know my body does not like it when I dip too low.  I'll focus on a bit of starchy at every meal, in particular at dinner.  It has been a breakfast focus as I wake up hungry and have really known I need it for a successful day.

• 7 months later...

I competed my first Whole30!  I am so very proud of myself.  I lost 5 lbs and wish I knew how many inches... because I can tell!  My clothes are big, people notice.  I feel good.  Not really thinking my body shape would change if I lost weight - but in fact it did.  

What prompted this Whole30 journey is my issues with migraines.  Here is my backstory... I am 48, consider myself is good shape as i exercise regularly, very active mom of 3 teenagers, work full-time, perfectionist, happily married.  In my late 30s I started getting migraines, although at the time I thought they were  stomach bugs, with the nausea, vomiting and a throbbing head - strangely enough no one else would get sick.  Over time i discovered it coincided with my cycle.  There were other issues, so to help make this long story short, I had a hysterectomy at 41.  The doctors left one ovary and it has been work overtime ever since.  The migraines have gotten progressively worse and more frequent, at least 2-3 days a week.  I have been on countless medications and at present I get Botox injections every 3 months, I take Imitrex by injection and in pill form as needed.  Some months I will use all pills and shots.  It is not fun.  The salesperson at the local natural vitamin store keep telling me to do a cleanse... Who has time for that, I just wanted to get my Butterbur and Feverfew.  I didn't want to hear a lecture on how food could be my problem.  Flash forward to last month, my cousin introduces me to Whole30.  She sells it.  How can I not try!  

So now... I have questions for the community.  I feel great, not doubt about that.  My migraines have lessoned.  On the 3rd week I had headaches just about every other day. The good news is that as soon as I took my mediation I felt better in an hour.  I had one day where I need to rest to let the meds kick in, yet is was not an all day shutdown.  So, I intend to do a slow reintroduction.  I see this thread is over a year old, so wondering how things panned out for those with headache and hot flashes.  That is my concern.  My migraines have lessoned this past month.  I guess it was overzealous to believe that they would totally go way - but it is better and my hopes is that as I continue with clean eating it will get better and better.  Yet, the hot flashes are not letting up.  Any suggestions on how to cope with this... how long to expect relief... just need reassurance that it will get better!

Sugar.  Stay far, far, far away from sugar if you can.  Sugar is my biggest contributor to menstrual migraines, and yet it's the hardest one to give up.  

I have also had some success with going relatively low FODMAP - my migraines are a lot better than before - I can at least function most of the time now (with some help from time to time from tylenol, advil) Migraines are generally lense intense as well.

Also keep in mind that things we ate 2 months ago will be affecting us now - especially where hormones are concerned - so chances are that you will continue to improve the longer you eat this way.

Thank you for your feedback.  I just printed the low FODMAP guide.  Will post it to my refrigerator.  I did consider sugar to be a possible culprit on the week 3 where I had several migraines.  So I made a conscious effort to not have fruit with every meal.  Looking at the list I see that aside from fruit there are many veggies that I do enjoy that are considered high FODMAP... mushrooms, garlic, celery, onions, broccoli, asparagus, cauliflower. Bummer.  Will try to cutdown and monitor.  While I did keep a journal of my Whole 30 journey in a Word document (not online), I am going to keep a food journal as well.  I have yet to reintroduce anything.  Must admit I am a bit squeamish.  Don't want to mess with the other great mojo I got going.  Thanks again for replying and pointing me in a new direction.  

On another note... I take a herbal supplement to suppress hot flashes.  Do you recommend that I should consider stopping it.  I take it at night before bed.  Prior to Whole30 it worked and almost eliminated my night sweats/hot flashes entirely - especially at night.  By Day 13 on Whole 30 I noticed them returning.  I am now at Day 33 and they are still there, waking me from a sound sleep.  A good night sleep is important especially for my migraines as it is a possible trigger.  Perhaps working with a low FODMAP may also help...  maybe I am grabbing at straws here, just looking for some good advice.  Thank you.   

Hormonal migraines are a very tough and hard nut to crack.  There are so many possible contributing factors - I started doing low FODMAP because I was starting to show IBS type symptoms (after a highly stressful incident).  And after going low FODMAP I noticed that my migraines got better too.  Now I have noticed that I can tolerate certain FODMAPs better than others - cauliflower and asparagus are out, but broccoli and mushrooms can tolerated in smaller quantities.  

The hot flashes are simply symptoms of your hormones re-adjusting themselves.  Hot flashes are part of my whole migraine routine - so I know how super uncomfortable they are.

I really cannot make any recommendations on your herbal supplement.  Migraines are funny things and everyone is a little bit different.  So if you find something that works for you - great!

Some other things to consider:

Magnesium supplements - magnesium can and will starve off a full blown migraine.  We recommend Natural Calm unflavoured around these parts. So a week before my period hits I will increase my dosage from 1/2 tsp to a full tsp.  It also will help with sleep, blood pressure, and being regular.

Acupuncture - Acupuncture also can be very helpful.  Prior to my whole 30 I was going for acupuncture regularly and I did get some decent results with it initially. 

Regular exercise - even if it's just taking walks a few times a week.  Movement helps.

Thank you... You are right that hormonal migraines are tough.  What makes it even more difficult is that since my hysterectomy (one ovary), I have no idea of my cycle.  My neurologist tells me stress and weather changes also contribute.   Some days its a guessing game.  On week 3 (day 14-21) was when I experienced the most troublesome time with the migraines. This week I have had a migraine for the past 3 days.  So it makes me believe this is mittelschmerz as this was an issue prior to hysterectomy.  Yet these past few days we have had terrible weather and storms. So it continues to keep me questioning and guessing - throwing darts in the dark.  I want to know what is potentially causing these so I can help myself - so frustrating. 

As for your suggestions, thank you.  I have tried magnesium yet did not see a difference.  Perhaps now completed Whole30 it may be something to try again.  I exercise 3-5 days a week.  Acupuncture is something worth looking into as it is really the only thing I have yet to try.  I am monitoring my FODMAPs to see if that makes a difference as well.  

Again, thank you for responding and giving recommendations.  Nice to know I am not alone struggling with this. 

For many women, it's the fluctuations in estradiol levels during perimenopause that trigger migraines. A low-dose, bioidentical, transdermal estradiol patch (ie, Vivelle) can provide relief for many--not all--women, with minimal side effects. It's worth talking with your doctor about it. I found the estradiol patch ended my night sweats, insomnia, migraines, and hot flashes--even though the dose was extremely low. Taking estradiol transdermally (ie, through your skin rather than via your stomach) avoids many of the health issues associated with hormone replacement.

Herbal supplements typically provide estrogenic chemicals, just as prescriptions do. But herbal supplements are essentially unregulated, so you have no way of knowing how much of the estrogenic substance is in the supplement, or how much is bioavailable, or what the contaminants might be (often mercury and lead, unfortunately). If you do decide to use hormones, please consider talking with your doctor and working with prescription, bioidentical hormones that are carefully regulated.

Archived