Fighting the sugar dragon

Hey everyone, 

I'm on the second week of reintroduction and starting to struggle with sugar again.  I tested out some non-gluten grains as well as some dairy and fared okay.  My response to sugar has been bad of course.  I've held out for special occasions and only items I've prepared myself (cake and cookies).  Keeping some boundaries was and still is important to me.  I enjoy baking so luckily the idea of eating grocery store pastry or candy bars isn't very appealing.  My sugar cravings haven't been too terrible after having sugar but the hangover is the worst.  I wake up the next day feeling like I have the flu.  I'm super cranky and here's the TMI part - my butt itches like crazy.  Yikes yeast :huh:   This morning I could barely pull myself outta bed and I'm still moving like molasses.  It's an obvious response so I'm trying to pay close attention to all the details and weigh in on when it's important enough to the make the sacrifice.  

Does anyone have any good advice on how to rebound from the sugar flu?  I have a tendency to try and compensate with lots of coffee which I know is a bad idea.  I'm drinking lots of lemon water but if there are any teas or herbs that might help I'm all ears.  Maybe lots of veggies and fats?  Trying to keep balance isn't as bad as I woulda thought.  After 60 days I was really able to create a lot of good habits so it's much easier to fall back into my healthy routine.  I still want to enjoy a sweet treat every once and a while without feeling like total garbage.  Maybe I'll just find out along the way that it's not always worth it.  But something tells me not  :wub:

Hey everyone, 

I'm on the second week of reintroduction and starting to struggle with sugar again.  I tested out some non-gluten grains as well as some dairy and fared okay.  My response to sugar has been bad of course.  I've held out for special occasions and only items I've prepared myself (cake and cookies).  Keeping some boundaries was and still is important to me.  I enjoy baking so luckily the idea of eating grocery store pastry or candy bars isn't very appealing.  My sugar cravings haven't been too terrible after having sugar but the hangover is the worst.  I wake up the next day feeling like I have the flu.  I'm super cranky and here's the TMI part - my butt itches like crazy.  Yikes yeast :huh:   This morning I could barely pull myself outta bed and I'm still moving like molasses.  It's an obvious response so I'm trying to pay close attention to all the details and weigh in on when it's important enough to the make the sacrifice.  

Does anyone have any good advice on how to rebound from the sugar flu?  I have a tendency to try and compensate with lots of coffee which I know is a bad idea.  I'm drinking lots of lemon water but if there are any teas or herbs that might help I'm all ears.  Maybe lots of veggies and fats?  Trying to keep balance isn't as bad as I woulda thought.  After 60 days I was really able to create a lot of good habits so it's much easier to fall back into my healthy routine.  I still want to enjoy a sweet treat every once and a while without feeling like total garbage.  Maybe I'll just find out along the way that it's not always worth it.  But something tells me not  :wub:

1. Melissa @ Whole9 says

April 6, 2011 at 2:09 pm

It may take a week or two… it may take a month or two. Depends on how bad your sugar demons are, and how you treat them during your Whole30. Dallas likes to say you can’t kill the sugar dragon with willpower, you have to STARVE it. So don’t give in to those cravings during your Whole30 by using fruit as a crutch… stick it out and it will get better.

Best of luck to you!

Melissa

Melissa @ Whole9 says

August 19, 2010 at 5:34 pm

You don’t have to throw out all the sweet or savory stuff, but I do think you’re smart to realize you’re giving into the sugar demons with your sunflower seeds and raisins. If you’re craving sugar, don’t give your body sugar! Eat a high fat snack instead, with a little bit of protein, and tough it out. Break those cravings once and for all and you can go back to enjoying the occasional dried fruit and nut snack without worrying that it’s going to send you running for the nearest Krispy Kreme.

Best,

Melissa

Dallas @ Whole9 says

August 4, 2010 at 8:02 pm

If you’re craving carbs (read: SUGAR!), eat fat and protein. Giving yourself sugar is NOT the route to go. But also, adding 1/2 & 1/2 to your coffee won’t make you feel better. We’ve observed in (literally) hundreds of people that “falling off the wagon” with things like pizza and cake only lead to more “falling off”. Get back on the Good Food Train.

Melissa @ Whole9 says

May 28, 2010 at 3:21 pm

While it is an interesting topic, all we are doing is encouraging people to do the best they can, within their own individual guidelines and means. That’s going to look a bit differently for everyone, but in our Workshops, we stress making good food CHOICES and focusing on quality if and when you have mental and financial capacity. For me personally, I’m going to eat as healthily as I can, even if that means giving up other things to support my Good Food habit. (We also have no cable TV, don’t do much in terms of outside entertainment like movies or concerts, and happily curb material purchases to be able to eat the way we know is best for our health and fitness.)

To everyone: We support your efforts to do the best YOU can, via whatever guidelines and moral/ethical codes you’ve chosen, and within whatever mental, financial and lifestyle constraints that you may be dealing with, whatever that may look like. If you’re choosing to do the best you can by participating our Whole30 program, we’re here to support and help you as much as we can along the way.

If you told me, “I LOVE my pasta. I’m a pasta addict – I eat it every day! So I’ll give up my pasta, but replace it with Paleo pasta instead!” I’d perhaps suggest you think long and hard about the choices you’re making, and what you are doing to curb your self-described unhealthy pasta addiction via your psuedo-pasta food choices. Since that’s NOT the case, I’m great with your Paleo-fied meal! We do a spaghetti squash/ground beef/tomato sauce version ourselves, and it’s super delicious and very filling.

We’re just cautioning people to pay attention to the food choices they’re making, to ensure they’re not just using “Paleo” as a get out of jail free card with respect to changing patterns, habits and unhealthy behaviors. If you take a long, honest look at your food choices, you’ll be able to tell for yourself what’s behind those choices.

Here’s what we typically see. People coming off a traditional “American” diet for the first time tend to rely heavily on fruit, nuts and nut butters in their first attempt at the Whole30. While they are much better food choices than you old sweet treats, obviously we’d encourage you to work your way towards better food choices, the further along you are in the program. So as you notice that you’re hitting the nut butters too hard, for example, perhaps pull back and try to add fat in the form of other good sources (coconut milk, avocado, olive oil, etc.). You’ll naturally become more aware of your food choices, the further along you go, and naturally develop a healthier, happier relationship with ALL foods.

Just know it’ll take longer than 30 days for that to happen! It’s really a life-long pursuit – breaking those old emotional ties to food and developing a new, healthier relationship. Just stick with it and continue to be honest with yourself about your food choices, cravings and habits, and the time WILL come when you can enjoy that chocolate bar and then jump right back on the Good Food Train.

@Captain Tom and Adam: You’ve both hit the nail on the head. Adam’s got a lot of experience with this stuff, people. He says wise things. :)

Thanks to all for contributing!

Best,

Melissa

I'm so glad you posted this. Yesterday was dairy reintroduction day. I learned two things. One, a certain brand of Trader Joe's ice cream and I cannot live in the same house hold. 2) Haagen Daas, which is supposed to be awesome, tastes like coagulated jello food. You could stack my house floor to ceiling with it, and I wouldn't care one bit. I'd get annoyed by having to move it around all day. It has officially entered the "cheesecake" category for me (used to work a catering job where every dessert was cheesecake. It was great cheesecake. Except I'm now cheesecaked out.)

3? Holy crap do I feel like butt today! Like, I almost don't have the energy to type this post. I've been off ALLL DAY. I spent the day taking a nap, and then trying to convince myself to go on the treadmill in the basement (the gym might as well have been only accessible by dog sled, based on how I'm feeling), and oh yeah, haven't gotten ANYTHING together for dinner, because I've been too busy trying to convince myself to move. Just blah! I had to have a facetime meeting, and I was looking at myself, and I LOOK wiped out!

It makes me think of the movie "Fed Up," where they discuss how people assume that fat people are lazy, when in reality they're sick because we're all eating too danged much sugar. 

I mean, it was fun while it lasted, but this is why most of us learned how to limit our alcohol intake. A few hours/minutes of fun doesn't negate a whole day's worth of misery. 

I'm so glad you posted this. Yesterday was dairy reintroduction day. I learned two things. One, a certain brand of Trader Joe's ice cream and I cannot live in the same house hold. 2) Haagen Daas, which is supposed to be awesome, tastes like coagulated jello food. You could stack my house floor to ceiling with it, and I wouldn't care one bit. I'd get annoyed by having to move it around all day. It has officially entered the "cheesecake" category for me (used to work a catering job where every dessert was cheesecake. It was great cheesecake. Except I'm now cheesecaked out.)

3? Holy crap do I feel like butt today! Like, I almost don't have the energy to type this post. I've been off ALLL DAY. I spent the day taking a nap, and then trying to convince myself to go on the treadmill in the basement (the gym might as well have been only accessible by dog sled, based on how I'm feeling), and oh yeah, haven't gotten ANYTHING together for dinner, because I've been too busy trying to convince myself to move. Just blah! I had to have a facetime meeting, and I was looking at myself, and I LOOK wiped out!

It makes me think of the movie "Fed Up," where they discuss how people assume that fat people are lazy, when in reality they're sick because we're all eating too danged much sugar. 

I mean, it was fun while it lasted, but this is why most of us learned how to limit our alcohol intake. A few hours/minutes of fun doesn't negate a whole day's worth of misery. 

This is all true!  I recently watched the Fed Up movie and it makes you think differently about the 'fat people are lazy' tagline.  I hate feeling under the control of anything...food especially.  And it's worse when you've succumbed and end up paying for it the entire day after.  

Thanks MeadowLily for all the posts!  I need to get back on track and stay there for a while.  I really want to make this my life-long pursuit as noted by Melissa.  Starving the sugar dragon is my best course of action since I am an 'all or nothing' type of person.  But I am still trying to learn more about my emotional connection to food and my habits.  It's a lot of learning about yourself :)

• 1 month later...

This post totally resonates with me right now.  I'm on Day 10 of my Whole30 and majoring struggling with sugar demons.  If a piece of fruit or a peppermint chocolate bark was in front of me, I don't know if I'd be able to withhold myself at this point.  I'm hoping this phase won't last too much longer, because it's exhausting!  Last night I had a meditation class and all I could think about during one practice session all that kept coming into my thoughts were sugar treats.  

Thanks for sharing this, it really does help.

Archived