Anyone planning to jump in on January 1st? Join me!!

politicalmama

Just joined the Facebook group - ready to re-start on January 1st! I recently began my first Whole 30 on December 14th, and sadly gave into temptation over the holidays. I plan to make this a Whole 60 - eating clean & healthy straight through to March, in the hopes of making 2015 my best year yet!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, my husband & I are starting our first Whole30 on January 1 also. I'm 21 weeks pregnant (3rd child) so I may require snacks (which I will keep to the approved list of foods of course). We have been pretty strictly paleo for a couple of years now but when I fell pregnant I was so sick I couldn't stomach animal protein at all. All I could stomach was grains. Now the sickness has eased I'm struggling to get back on the paleo wagon so I figured a Whole30 would be a good way to give myself a boost. Also, my baby is due in May & I would like to do another W30 in June so I figure I'll use January as my "maiden voyage" so to speak so I can do it sleep deprived etc. As I said it's my 3rd baby so I know what I'm into & that I need things to be second nature to be able to succeed through the haze of sleepless nights & nursing! Best of luck everyone xx

Hi I am doing my first Whole 30 starting January 1. Preparing means eat all the ice cream in the freezer now, right? Hehe. Fortunately, I don't have any.

So. I've been diagnosed with SIBO and just off first round of antibiotics. My first week will be mostly soups, broth, blanched greens, eggs. Just ordered It Starts With Food book on Amazon. 

Has anyone subscribed to Whole 30 Daily? If so, what was your experience? Is it worth the $15 bucks? Or is a visit to this forum daily enough for support?

Thanks!

rachdevsam - My go-to drink when out is plain soda water with slices of lemon or lime, in a tall glass with ice. It looks alcoholic and you can have as many as you like. If you can get the same bartender all night, I try to give it a nickname, like Lime Special, so other people don't know what you're ordering.

charaelyse - Nuts and some sort of lara bar thing should get you through the wedding :) Don't worry so much about the template on a day full of temptations, watch out for the champagne. Have a nice big breakfast!

leahcarn - Can you have white potato on your plan Leah?

kirkor - I'm doing keto too this Whole30 :) I've done it before with dairy, and got into ketosis accidentally my first W30.

kam80s - Lots of shift workers and ex-shift workers on here :) Stay away from the cafeteria food!

I'm in, Jan 01st, I'm ready! Joined the Facebook group too! I read the book in October, tried a whole30 in November with out success. Having said that, I have been dabbling for the last 6 weeks or so, given up gluten, cut way back on sugar and dairy and have seen a significant improvement in sleep, eczema and belly bloat. Looking forward to the new year, and the journey to a new me! Excited to be learning and sharing with the group! 

Mrs. Red & Dem & BevAnn - Although they are compliant, if you struggle with sugar, be careful with dates. They can easily be a food with no brakes, or wake the sugar dragon.

A_Whole_New_Me - If you think you might be gluten sensitive, when you get around to reintroductions, do it last as it can take awhile to bounce back. All grains except rice make me feel pretty yucky. I really like baked egg/bacon muffin cups for breakfast. They're easy to reheat or you can have them cold and there's loads of variations. Even sausage/egg. 

Ashton - I thought the same thing (not celiac), but I found out the tests are pretty unreliable, some people test negative for years and then test positive. It's one of the least reliable medical tests.

BevAnn - As Ashton said, plantains are a lovely starch alternative! 

sarielswish - Quite a few AIP folks on here if you need any help. Plan your reintroductions carefully so you can identify those irritants. Grains, dairy, FODMAPs, nightshades and eggs are common ones. I'm insulin resistant too.

Hi, my name is LaShawnda. I would love to be a part of this group. I'm starting my first Whole 30 Jan 1st. I'm married to a great guy who isn't interested in doing this plan with me but supports me fully and will eat what I put in front of him. ;)

Must admit, I'm scared to death because I love Splenda. The toughest thing will be cutting that out. I'm a pharmaceutical sales rep and I will be home the month of January studying for a new product. I think it's a perfect time to do this, no meetings and I'm home all day to prepare foods as needed.

I got It Starts with Food for Christmas. Haven't finished it yet but I will be ready for the 1st. I'm cleaning out the refrigerator and going shopping in the next couple days.

We can do this, right????

Hi all!

Count me in!  I have just recently completed my first W30 and after relaxing the reins a little over the Christmas break (and realising how BAD some foods make me feel) I'm ready to jump straight into my 2nd W30.  If I can do my first W30 during November and December when the party season is in full swing, then anybody can do it in January.

I didn't participate in the forum the first time around, simply reading people's posts, so this time around I would like to be more of an active participant.

I live in Australia so it's summer here, and a perfect time to eat healthily, exercise and feel great.  :)

I lost 4kgs on the scales (2kgs pure body fat lost and gained 0.5kg muscle) and felt SO MUCH BETTER from doing it that I now see this as my new way of life, rather than a temporary diet.

I look forward to connecting with many of you.

Hi I am doing my first Whole 30 starting January 1. Preparing means eat all the ice cream in the freezer now, right? Hehe. Fortunately, I don't have any.

So. I've been diagnosed with SIBO and just off first round of antibiotics. My first week will be mostly soups, broth, blanched greens, eggs. Just ordered It Starts With Food book on Amazon. 

Has anyone subscribed to Whole 30 Daily? If so, what was your experience? Is it worth the $15 bucks? Or is a visit to this forum daily enough for support?

Thanks!

Hi bronnyd

I subscribed for my first W30 (completed mid Dec) and I found it really beneficial, and I personally thought it was worth the money.  In particular I liked being accountable as you click 'I did it' or 'I made some bad choices today... let's start over'.  I live in Australia so it would come through at night, which was a perfect time as I was proud of my accomplishments for that day.  It kept me on track, provided lots of useful information and resources, and I continued to learn.

I would recommend it!  :)

SavyLola - If you find going coffee cold turkey too much, try switching to decaf, or go half/half decaf and regular. 

Jennifer2C - Yay for backyard chickens! Homemade mayo anytime!

Megsymoo - Hello there fellow Aussie :D

kirkor - I'll be here on the forums too :)

doctoremily - Not everyone eats white potato (*waves to the AIP people*), but they are compliant :) A few of us are doing keto this Whole30, gnakazawa, me and kirkor for starters!

Dem - aha, I thought I recognised you :)

Penelope - You can always add on an extra day, there will be many January starters who start after the 1st, but you want the full 30 days :)

Brynn - You can do this! Have you done any planning so far?

GingerD - Any particular recipes? Personally, my favourite "machines" are my immersion blender and my zoodle maker (Paderno spiraliser).

Cherylmccloud - There's a few of us doing a keto Whole30 :)

Sunflour - The thread will stay, but once people start reintroductions, it would be best to move to a Post-W30 thread :)

Vanessa - There's no real prep required for your body, but planning ahead helps. For most it's quite a lifestyle change, especially the food prep. I recommend a few compliant meals in your freezer, so you can take a day off cooking if you need to.

YumYumZari - My tips for the carb flu: lay off the exercise if you feel terrible, it doesn't last long and this isn't some kind of punishment zone :) drink plenty of water, take magnesium if you get any leg cramps. Don't feed the sugar dragon during carb flu, it only makes it last longer.

DoubleV - Coconut milk or coconut cream is good in coffee too :) Most of the commercial almond milks are not compliant. 

psmally - I'm an Aussie too :) There's a great Aussie thread under Sourcing Good Food.

PrimalMamma - You may want to have some template mini-meals rather than snacks :)

bronnyd - You don't need the emails, but I really liked them :) they even have funny videos and things in them, they're very on-topic for what you're doing every day and you get to keep them, so you can reuse them again later. For anyone outside the US, you might want to subscribe a day early as the emails are delivered on USA time (which is one day late in Australia).

LaShawnda - I used to have a lot of Splenda too, I feel loads better without it and I no longer miss it at all now.

WholeFoodAussie - Yay, more Aussies! :)

Wow, finally got through all the pages :)

There's quite a few veteran Whole30ers here, so if you need any help or have questions, just ask!

If you haven't got a signature yet and you'd like one, click on your username at the top of the page and then click Settings and then Signature. It can be handy to link your personal food log here, makes it easy to find and also provides context to others if you have questions.

You can start your own food log in just a few clicks. Go to the Forum main page > under Community is Your Whole30 Log > Start New Topic. If you also tick Follow This Topic, you'll get a message when other people interact with your log.

I highly recommend a food log for first timers and anyone with a health issue. It really helps you find what works for you, everyone is a little different :)

Veterans - post your tips for the new starters!

My tips:

• Have at least 3 compliant meals frozen in your freezer - so you can take a day off cooking if you need to.
  • Read your labels - it's heartbreaking when you work really hard and one silly tin or jar has broken your W30. Even check when you buy repeats, sometimes ingredients change in the same brand/product.
  • If you are a scale addict, get a friend to keep it at their house, so it's not tempting you.
  • If you currently use a food logging app like MyFitnessPal, you'll need to give it up for your Whole30, there's no calorie counting, your body will find it's balance. You can log your food without counting things.
  • If you have any health conditions, get a blood test or two before you start and get the same one/s at the end so you can see the more invisible health improvements :)
  • If you're struggling to do too many things, sleep is better than exercise.

Hey hey!!

I'm planning on joining on jan1 also!! I've been reading the whole30 for 8 months or so but have never joined in. I had been eating paleo but stopped and couldn't get back on track. I'm using the whole30 to kick start myself back into eating better. My sugar and fat intake have been out of control and I can feel the difference.

GOODLUCK EVERYONE

I'm getting on the Whole30 again from 1 Jan.  Did one back in September and husband joined me for the first time ever and has had amazing results.  I just need to commit to another Whole30 as food is good, but the happy season has seen wine re-enter the "diet" and this is just undoing all my good work! 

PS - any fellow Kiwi's joining from 1 Jan??

Archived