Cooking Challenged - not sure I'll be able to make my meals...

BevAnn

I am VERY cooking challenged.  I can not cook much at all.  Just simple things. 

So when I read, emulsify, and blend and make your own ghee, and mayo....I just think, there is no way I can make all this!!

Everyone says it's so easy, but I don't even know what all these ingredients are! LOL  I know EVOO...I know vegetable oil, and canola oil - but avacado oil?  coconut oil?   Never even seen such.

I know I could learn to like these foods - I'm just not sure I can MAKE them!!  :/

I don't even own a blender.  I have a Bullet.  And a Cuisinart food processor.  Would those work for making the sauces?

Is there such a thing as Paleo Cooking for Dummies? 

Thanks for the help!

Bev

Starting Whole30 Jan 1, 15

Welcome! The best advise I can give you is to keep it simple. Yes you can make mayo with a food processor. Also you can buy mayo from Tessame's website or see if they have it at whole foods or another store near you. Check out The Clothes Make The Girl she has some great ideas for quick meals. You prep your food one day a week and then you mix and match with different sauces to create interesting plates. Stick with what you know like hamburgers, hotdogs (check out Applegate farms), baked chicken. Serve with salad, baked potato or steamed veggies. If you have the book there are a lot of simple recipes in the back of the book. Ground meat stir fried with veggies is quick and easy. Boiled eggs are easy. Bring water to a boil, gently place eggs in water, cover and turn off the heat. Leave pot on the warm burner for 8 min for soft boiled or 10 min for hard boiled. You will find this is the easiest way to peel fresh pastured eggs they can be hard to peel. Good Luck! You can do it!

Do you have a crock pot?  You might want to consider investing in one.  Easy peasy way to make meals - toss everything you want to cook in it, and hours later, you have a meal.

Also, have things on hand that don't require complex cooking. Compliant canned tuna and salmon, for example. Sardines. Homemade mayo (yes to using a food processor - don't use a bullet for this or you'll get a soupy mess). Sweet potatoes. If you have a microwave, you can cook sweet potatoes or yams in there.  Be sure to pierce the skin around the potato/yam with a fork before cooking.  Small sweet potatoes: about 3 minutes (rotate half-way through). Large yams, about 6-7 minutes (again, rotate halfway through). You may need to experiment with cooking time based on your microwave's strength.

Start with one cooking oil and expand from there. Coconut oil would be my recommendation, then from there, either buy ghee or make your own clarified butter (would need to buy cheesecloth and have a fine mesh strainer for the latter). 

Having a food processor is a HUGE help - I use mine several times a week! And it makes mayo super easy - there's a hole in the bottom of the tube (on mine, anyway) so you don't have to sit there and drizzle olive oil. Just pour it in and the hole does the work for you.

I second the recommendations for The Clothes Make the Girl or, better yet, I'd get one or both of her cookbooks (Well Fed and Well Fed 2). The books have a ton of information in the front about how Mel cooks up every week, what she eats on a regular basis, that kind of thing. Some of the recipes are more complicated than others, but both books have recipes that are simple to get you started (WF2 has a whole section on meatballs/burgers), and her directions are super clear (her mayo recipe is the one I use). Nom Nom Paleo's blog is also a great source. Not all the recipes on either site are Whole30-compliant, but most of them are, and they usually state when a recipe isn't (usually because it has a little maple syrup or something, or is a dessert).

Some things may be cheaper to make, but you might feel better buying them until you get used to cooking. Ghee is a prime example - you can order it online from a couple of good places. But if you like cooking with coconut oil, you don't need to worry about that right off the bat.

Basically, start off simple. Find some recipes that sound good to you and aren't too complicated. Once you try those a time or two, you'll feel more confident. And remember, everyone has the occasional cooking fail - it takes practice for everybody!

The Whole30 forum and google is your friend! There is enough information on the internet to help you learn and decipher different ingredients and cooking terms.  Just follow instructions in the recipe to a 'T' (when you become a more advanced cook you can 'wing it' more often).  Spend time reading and understanding before you start cooking.  Google any terms you don't understand.  

While every cook has to start somewhere, I second the recommendations above to keep it simple.  Don't feel like you need to make complicated recipes, but to push yourself to learn you might commit to try one new recipe a week.

Some supplies that I find indispensable on the Whole30:  A good santuko knife for chopping; crockpot; mandolin and/or vegetable peeler; immersion blender; cast iron pan(s); saucepan w/ lid; cutting board; measuring cups/spoons.  Some people might say a food processor since you can use it to chop vegetables and to make mayo. Personally, I rarely use mine.

A super simple mayo recipe that only requires a $25 immersion/stick blender

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/10/two-minute-mayonnaise.html

• Administrators

Some of the best food is simple. 

Last night I took defrosted chicken thighs, washed & dried them, placed on a cookie sheet and sprinkled with the Costco "Everyday" seasoning and some salt. Fried some snow peas in lard and roasted some cubed butternut squash at the same time as the chicken.  Great texture, great taste and ready in less than 35 minutes....with plenty leftover for lunches today.

Fry ground meat and toss with "sunshine sauce" from Clothes Make the Girl (I use my magic bullet for this...my only tip is to put the nut butter in last) or a stirfry sauce.  Separate pan sautee shredded red cabbage and chopped green beans.  Instant meal and so delicious.  No odd cooking terms!  :)

Stuff an avocado, a couple tbsp. lime juice, a handful fresh cilantro, garlic, S&P and some coconut milk into your magic bullet and blend that into an Avocado Cream Sauce that is fantastic on everything! (add coconut milk as needed to make it a blendable consistency)

Take 4 cups home made (or compliant store bought) broth, 1.5 cups coconut milk, juice of one lemon, a whole bunch of freshly grated ginger, some fresh cilantro, some cubed up cooked chicken and some chopped fresh spinach, put it all in a pot and heat through for 10 minute Tom Kha Gai (Thai coconut soup)

Ground beef seasoned with some S&P and garlic powder, formed into patties and baked or grilled is super simple, 2 pounds of meat makes about 7 or 8 burgers which you can then repurpose into breakfast-style hash with veggies and topped with an egg or thrown into some Silky Ginger Zucchini Soup (Well Fed/Clothes Make the Girl).

I also HIGHLY recommend the Well Fed books...and seeing that you are very beginner, I would recommend the first one first if you can only get one.  I was a practiced and decent cook when I bought these books and they have improved my abilities in ways I didn't expect!

Wow, ya'll are awesome!  So many good ideas.  Ok, I'll go simple at first.  I just know, the food can getting boring, so I want to be ready to overcome that...but I'll keep it simple in the beginning.

I read so many good tips and ideas on blogs, here and on various site - I think I'll start printing them out, and make my own Whole30 Notebook.  I would like one place I can reference everything at once.  I'll print out this page, as one of the first entries! :)

So, coconut oil - where in the store do I find that?  Where regular oil is?  Coconut milk?  with other milks?   I've had coconut water and HATED it...I'm leary of the oil and milk.  But I will try them!

Keep the ideas and tips coming, I REALLY appreciate it! :)

At my regular grocery store (a Publix) and at my Trader Joe's, the coconut oil is in the same area as the other oils. There are different kinds; the virgin coconut oil is unrefined and smells strongly (to me) of coconut. There are various kinds of refined coconut oil that don't smell as strongly; I'm not sure what the nutrition profiles of the different kinds are. At my Publix, coconut milk is in the international foods aisle; make sure you read labels, because not all brands are Whole30-compliant. Guar gum is an OK additive; anything with -ite usually isn't, and carrageenan definitely isn't. Check labels at your store because it can vary by region, but Thai Kitchen is pretty easy to find for me and, last time I looked, is compliant.

Personally, I hate the taste of virgin coconut oil, so I don't buy much and I only use it in things where I won't be able to taste it in the finished product (sauteeing onions for chili or something like that). I use more ghee/Kerrygold butter (when not on a Whole30), or bacon grease or other animal fats when I have them. I don't mind coconut milk, though.

Good luck!! You're right, you don't want to eat the same things over and over, but once you master some basics and get your confidence up, you'll come up with ideas about how to season your ground beef or what kind of sauce would go well with that chicken. :)

Wow, ya'll are awesome!  So many good ideas.  Ok, I'll go simple at first.  I just know, the food can getting boring, so I want to be ready to overcome that...but I'll keep it simple in the beginning.

I read so many good tips and ideas on blogs, here and on various site - I think I'll start printing them out, and make my own Whole30 Notebook.  I would like one place I can reference everything at once.  I'll print out this page, as one of the first entries! :)

So, coconut oil - where in the store do I find that?  Where regular oil is?  Coconut milk?  with other milks?   I've had coconut water and HATED it...I'm leary of the oil and milk.  But I will try them!

Keep the ideas and tips coming, I REALLY appreciate it! :)

Hey there!

Cooking the whole30 way actually seems less complicated then the standard american diet. When you can't add flours, sugars or what not you are really just cooking with the food you have right before you. I recommend stocking up on some whole30 compliant seasoning mixes, that way you can throw them on literally everything and it will come out good.

The best things I can recommend for easy peasy cooking and prep are:

1. learn how to make a good chili. It doesn't have to be complicated at all. I just throw an array of meat (pork, beef, bison, turkey, whatever you have on hand) in with chopped tomatoes (compliant of course) and tomato paste. Then you can add whatever vegetables you have on hand (onions are a must) with some seasonings and let it cook low and slow. If you make a biiiiiig batch of it on a sunday you can have meals all week for lunch without having to worry about cooking twice in one day.

2. Roast every single type of vegetables that you can. Brussel sprouts, parsnips, eggplants, carrots...LITERALLLLLLYYY anything! You can add them to any meal and make a filling dish. It is super easy. Just chop the vegetables into cubes or like sized pieces if you are cooking different vegetables, put them in a Bowl. Place some coconut oil or olive oil in the bowl. Mix it all up. Place on pan and add some salt! Put them in the oven at 350-400 until they are cooked through and slightly crispy. ENJOY!

3. You can find coconut oil in practically any grocery store now. Wegmans, Giant, Whole foods, Trader Joes, Stop and Shop. Normally it can be found in the natural/health food sections of normal grocery stores and with the regular oils in typical health food stores (Whole foods). Look for the oil that is cold-pressed and unrefined. You will be amazed at what coconut oil will do. There are some rumors that the oil will actively make you lose weight (I have not done enough research to support this) but I absolutely love the product. 

4. Definitely keep an open mind with cooking. Whole30 is as much of an experiment as it is a lifestyle. Cut yourself a break if you mess up but celebrate your victories! You will be amazed with how much you will grow in 30 days!

5. Nom nom paleo and wellfed will be your best friends for ideas, but don't put too much pressure on yourself to make it look like theirs does! I absolutely love to cook and consider myself a damn good cook but I mess up 99% of the things that I try to follow to a T. Oh well! It still tastes just as good :))

If you need advice on anything feel free to ask! I would love to help you :)) good luck!

Definitely start simple, then experiment as you get bored.  Burgers in a pan, chicken breasts in the oven for 20 minutes, canned tuna + mayo & a dash of spice = tuna salad, steak is surprisingly easy to cook and if you buy a good cut you won't miss the marinade, etc.

I find recipe books overwhelming; my eyes glaze over if there's more than 3-5 ingredients involved.  But there's still plenty to be enjoyed with simple recipes :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

BevAnn - you can do it!  I am not a great cook either, and really I just hate to cook, so I feel your pain. There are some great suggestions here - I was taking notes as I was reading through them, because I need help :).

A big thing for me was getting past the ultra lean meat, no fat way of eating - meaning skinless, boneless chicken breasts or turkey breasts - all the time!  So I'm having a bit of struggle with getting used to eating chicken thighs or chicken drumettes.  I also cut out beef and pork back in 1990 and I'm just now trying to add beef back into my diet, so that's opening up new options for me too. I am indeed a work in progress in the kitchen.

Good luck - let us know how you're doing!

Just noticed in the new year Stop and Shop has made their own brand of coconut oil that is complaint and a bit cheaper than some of the others which is awesome! Also whole foods just came out with a compliant mayo as well, I think their brand is 365! I have used it to make both chicken and tuna salad and it is delish!! I tried making mayo once and it didn't come together and have since been scared to try again. 

If you do find any additional funds I recommend a slow cooker, makes cooking life so easy, throw the ingredients in and the cook themselves! Good luck!

If we apply the Whole30 philosophies to cooking then do not say, "I can not cook" say, "I do not want to learn to cook." Own whats really going on here. The tough love pages say don't you dare say this is hard, this is easy! You CAN do this! Read, watch YouTube tutorials, then read some more. No one becomes a good cook overnight. Everyone who is very comfortable in the kitchen and very comfortable designing their own recipes has spent MANY hours in the kitchen and with raw foods experimenting, trying, failing, and try, try again. It just takes time and effort ... and the motivation to cook.

Anyone can start with a crockpot - get a good quality crockpot and just follow a recipe. Start with easy recipes where you just throw everything into the pot (its hard to screw that up). Spend time at the grocery store looking through all the spices, get to know different names. If there is something you don't know, keep your smart phone on hand to look it up, discover if it is a plant or a seed or something dried, and read some pages about what it goes with. On what kind of food do you put this spice/herb? Chicken? Salmon? In what type of dishes do you put this spice/herb? Spanish? French? (stay away from French food, its all time intensive and complicated).

Go to Whole Foods, Trader Joes, and a local health food store. Go without intent to buy anything (unless you have $ to throw around, if you do, buy some weird stuff and use it!). Just look at the oils, look at the vegetables. You'll see things you don't know. Find the name and google it. Learn about the foods available in healthy places like WF, TJ and health food stores.

Start easy. Get a microwave steamer for quick green beans and broccoli. Fire up the BBQ and grill chicken breasts, pork chops and hamburgers. Boil eggs. Bake sweet potatoes (tip: microwave each sweet potato in a damp rag/paper towel for 5 min. before baking at 400 for 50 min. and they'll always be cooked). Eat carrots and cucumber raw or soak cukes in vinegar and salt (yum!). Then read some more, watch a few more tutorials, and go through new recipes again.

Archived