Favorite "I-don't-feel-like-cooking" meal

Dem

• Moderators

Burgers or "Hot Plates" from Well Fed. Basically just ground (or any) meat cooked up in a pan with fat and spices, paired with the quickest veggies I have on hand (frozen, already cooked up or baby spinach). Especially great if I happen to have a spaghetti squash pre-cooked (I try always to have one). Then I have that with meat and tomato sauce. My favorite comfort food.

Protein, rubbed with something tasty, seared in a hot pan, sweet potato in the microwave, green veggies in a steamer basket.  Done in 10 minutes.

Protein, rubbed in ghee and something tasty, in the broiler, over vegetable bin garbage on spinach salad and whatever salad dressing I still have from weekend prep.  Done in 15 minutes if the garbage needs prep.

Leftovers, over leftovers, on salad.  Done in, well, how hot I want the leftovers to be.

On days I get an early start on dinner but don't really want to actually cook, standing over the stove top stirring, mixing, combining, and timing, I throw together a one dish meal that sits in the oven for a while.  Chop, toss, dump, pop, and chill while the oven does the work.  I like when the oven timer wakes me up and I just need to shovel it out and eat.  Some days, the bike takes the chef out of me.

• Administrators

Loose ground meat with sides of whatever veggies you have.  Right now my favourite is to sauté mushrooms and onions over rather high heat (I use lard).  Season with S, P, Garlic Powder.  Once the onions and mushrooms are cooked down, add 2# ground beef.  Sautee until the beef is cooked and the mushroom water has evaporated. Serve in a bowl alongside steamed green beans and mashed cauliflower with a little (or large) dollop of homemade mayo.  Surprisingly tasty for being as plain as it is.

Second best is an omelette stuffed with whatever you have in the kitchen/pantry!  And if you're even too pressed for time (for me that usually reads: lazy) then you can sautee your omelette fillings and then pour your egg over it and either let it set up or just scramble it all together.  Top with compliant salsa and some avocado.

My favorite is salmon salad made with compliant canned salmon, celery and homemade mayo, with a microwaved sweet potato topped with homemade mayo.  Only thing you need to prep ahead is the mayo (I always have homemade mayo and all these other items on hand).

One thing I like to do when I'm feeling ambitious is to have all my veggies pre-chopped in zipper bags in the fridge. I'll do it on the weekend and have everything ready for the week. Food processor makes it super fast even. 

Tonight was one of those nights I didn't want to cook and didn't have any leftovers and didn't start thinking of dinner until I was already hungry. I had some chicken breasts thawed in the fridge, so I butterflied them, seasoned with salt and pepper, then fried some bacon in a pan (cut into lardons), scooped out the bacon with a slotted spoon, then cooked the chicken in the bacon grease (butterflied, it takes like 10 minutes). I made a quick salad dressing of 1 part red wine vinegar to 2 parts oil, pinch of s&p and a little mustard, shake shake shake in a mason jar, chopped romaine lettuce, kalamata olives, diced chicken, bacon. Hard boiled eggs are good on it too.

Having stuff prepped is definitely the key - but unless you're Superman(woman) in the kitchen, there's times you won't have stuff prepped and ready to go. My super quick meal (as a last resort) is canned chicken (check the lable), onions, squash, mushrooms and spinach sauteed, add coconut milk and some seasonings to make a chicken stew. My BF and son (aka bottomless pits) eat it over rice, but mine is satisfying just as is. I avoid canned chicken whenever possible for a variety of reasons, but if it's between that and hitting the drive thru - you can guess which one wins. I keep frozen veggies in the freezer too as another last resort type food when I can't bring myself to even chop veggies - but I usually mix it in something as I don't care for the texture of frozen veg.

Archived