Bone Broth

dlocs1021

I know everyone swears by bone broth....both times I have attempted to make it, I find it comes out gelatinous. This totally turns my husband off despite the fact to turns back to liquid when heated. Any idea if I am doing something wrong or is this typical? Thanks!

• Moderators

No, you're not doing anything wrong. It's supposed to do that. It's the collagen and stuff -- the same stuff that's in gelatin. Usually the questions around here are more like, my bone broth didn't gel, how do I fix it?  :D

Chicken broth, for me, doesn't ever gel, and the taste is milder -- he might prefer that, at least to start with, if you want to get him to drink it by itself. Otherwise, you might try hiding it in blended soups -- even in the fridge it won't look gelled, once you've put in veggies and maybe some coconut milk and blended it all up.

• Moderators

I am disappointed when my bone broth does not become like jello when chilled. It usually means I forgot to add apple cider vinegar to help leach collagen and minerals out of the bones... Your husband might not care, but the thing is that the really good stuff is so rich it is gelatinous. :)

Thanks everyone, glad to know that I am doing it right. I have been spooning it out and putting over veggies etc. but just wanted to make sure I am doing it correctly before I join the Jan 1st whole 30. I have never put apple cider vinegar Tom, should I be?

Chicken broth, for me, doesn't ever gel, and the taste is milder -- he might prefer that, at least to start with, if you want to get him to drink it by itself. Otherwise, you might try hiding it in blended soups -- even in the fridge it won't look gelled, once you've put in veggies and maybe some coconut milk and blended it all up.

I could never get my chicken broth to gel until I started adding chicken feet. Now it comes out like jello, it is so great. Plus, it tastes so much better now. Definitely try that if you can get some chicken feet!  :)

• Moderators

I could never get my chicken broth to gel until I started adding chicken feet. Now it comes out like jello, it is so great. Plus, it tastes so much better now. Definitely try that if you can get some chicken feet!  :)

I've seen packages of chicken feet at the grocery store, but to be honest, they kind of gross me out, so I haven't quite gotten the nerve to try them yet.  I guess I'm going to have to break down and get a package next time I see them. 

• Administrators

As mentioned, the gel is an awesome result.  My bone broth never gels but that's because I typically cook it for 3-5 days and keep adding water as I go so the gelatin either breaks down or is diluted...but I still get masses of nutrients out of the bones so I don't worry about it.

If you're wanting him (and you) to be drinking it straight, you can put it in a crock pot on low or keep warm (whichever setting allows yours to just simmer gently) and drink off that pot a few times a day, adding water as you go.  Then it never cools off, he never sees the gel and you guys get all the benefits!

Archived