Whole30 for Lent: starting February 18th.

angledge

I did have to face down some Girl Scout cookies (AGAIN!) today when a coworker brought them to a meeting and set them down on the table right in front of me, but I was firm in my resolve.  

Picturing this is so funny to me--like a gunslinger's battle complete with the music and twitchy fingers...good job for winning! 

Hang in there everyone. Halfway is just a week away! 

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 9- Sounds like yesterday was a bit rough for some. I love the quote Life's a journey, not a destination. Of course we all look forward to day 30 and celebrating our success. The journey and the things you learn about yourself along the way are powerful and will enable you to embrace a healthy lifestyle for the duration... Example: Work events of last Friday had me in a tailspin and questioning my profession (education). Prior to Whole30 I would come home, my husband and I would rehash our lousy day and drink too much wine (after all we work hard and deserve it). This time I came home felt pretty upset and frustrated most of the night-one of my adult children called with wonderful news, which temporaly perked me up. The Friday events continued to fester/process in my monkey mind right up until I went to bed. The next morning I got up, felt great, and had a nice productive weekend. I felt extreme joy and excitement about the good news from my son. I was aware of how I allowed work to momentarily steal my joy (another powerful lesson). Prior to Whole30- I would have had a slow Saturday from the wine, the Friday events would still be nagging at me and I would be more frustrated than before because my weekend would not have been fun or productive (so happy NOT to experience that !). Life lesson:processing can be work-it is necessary and ultimately life-enhancing. Process-learn-let it go-or-process some more. Stay hopeful about solutions you seek with a clear mind and good intentions. Sometimes life is difficult, but we learn powerful lesson that serve us well. Cheers

Good morning and happy Day 9.  I am shocked at the difference between this Whole 30 and the one I did a few years back.  I was through the roof with energy and excitement after only a few days.  This time I am very tired, but I feel very peaceful and happy.  I feel so much better already physically and mentally.  I can see that I have lost weight (or inflammation) in my clothes, face, and most importantly stomach, as I have been looking and feeling very bloated for quite some time.  I'm not purposely setting out to lose weight on this -- my only mission is to discover which foods are messing me up.   I certainly DO need to lose weight, but I'll focus on the weight loss part after the 30-40 days.  My one and only goal right now is to focus on being compliant, no matter what. 

Stay strong everyone! 

Day 8 was no fun for me. I did not feel hungry as much but felt so tired and easily irritated. On day 7 i felt so light and not tired but yesterday was 180 degree turn around for worse. I was ready to give up but did not. I also realize how I am emotionally attached to food. I had compliant dinner but added a small sweet potatoe, which I did not think I had to. If not for Whole30, I probably would have wine or some chocolate. I have to admit also I noticed changes to aunt flow, shorter time and no cravings and bloating before :-) Day 9 is here, woke up with a little headache, hope the day will better than yesterday. Wishing everyone great day! Stay strong!

Hey everyone! Thank you for the support after my bad day earlier this week. Things really were much better yesterday & I'm heading into Day 9 feeling good. I went to the grocery store last night - & good thing, because Denver got a ton of snow & ice overnight, & the roads are a mess. I'm very grateful to be working from home today. It's a good day to sip a cup of bone broth & watch the neighbor's kids build a snowman.

How's everyone else doing?

Thanks for the feedback on RPM/SPINNING, I had eggs before I taught today.  I do feel a bit more energy today.  It is my day 11, still not feeling like clothes are looser, wondering if I am too heavy on the coconut oil and too many sweet potatoes!  They are too yummy!!  Hope you all have a good day!

As most of us are heading into week 2, why don't we each try to post 3 positives that we're feeling?  I think it's all too easy, sometimes, to notice the negatives (clothes not loose enough, still craving something, feeling tired, etc) and let those overshadow the positives.  Here are some positives for me:

1) Headaches are much, much better!  In fact, I haven't taken Advil for a headache (usually a daily or every other day thing) all week.

2) My youngest son is eating healthier, too!  He's eating eggs, sausage, mushrooms, and kale with me this morning.  He's my more adventuresome (food-wise) child...so he'll snack on the homemade meatballs, try a bite of my sweet potato soup, etc.  As mama, that makes me happy.

3) I feel good that I can beat the Sugar Dragon...it might not be permanent, but at least for right now, I'm in control. :D

cinagain - great idea

My 3 positives

1. My skin is great (except a few spots around my finger tips / finger nails)

2. I used to run nearly 50 Km a week (30 miles) on top of exercise classes - I have run zero - yes zero - so I have really recharged my batteries - I feel rested and peaceful - still exercising but being much nicer to myself

3. I am doing really well with my sugar dragon - I feed it a spoonful of olive oil or coconut oil when it attacks - I am worried it is starting to prefer the oil (I wish it would have the same affect on the "puffa fish")

Can I have a 4th ? Please !!

4. I have really enjoyed this forum as everybody has been really active, positive and supportive - only "@!*@!!! days to go

Zoe

Cinagain! Awesome idea about positivness!

1) I am sleeping like a baby since starting Whole30

2) I love exploring all new recipes and hubby loves them

3) While watching news this am and they had a segment on new bakery to try out-I was not mad for not being able to have it but I was rather able to shrug my shoulders-"it is not a big deal" and no sugar dragon calling.

Happy 9th day!

For me, the first week has felt easier than last time in practical terms but harder in motivational. But what's been good:

1) Almost no snacking, and no out-of-control snacking on things like nuts and fruits.

2) Hair feels less greasy day after wash

3) The food is delicious!

Good luck for the rest of day 9, everyone! I've got a spatchcock chicken roasting in the oven and sunshine sauce ready to go with it.

It's good to see these positives! Mine are:

1. Sleep is deep--I actually look forward to going to bed because I know I will fall asleep within a reasonable amount of time.

2. A feeling of being more in control of not just food but other areas of my life. I have often noticed that when I eat more healthfully, I feel like I make better decisions in other areas of life, too.

3. This forum is an inspiration to me. Hard to believe we are about 1/3 way through the 30 days!

Zoe, of course you can list a 4th! :)

Ytu, my hair feels greasier, but not really in a bad way.  Maybe it's just that it's not so dry?

As for the good sleepers?  I can't wait for that one. ;) It's not a Whole30 problem...more of a problem with menopause and joints.  If I'm sleeping hard, I'll wake up with a hurting shoulder from being in one position too long.  I do think I look forward to bedtime more with W30 though!

Today is not as good as yesterday- I didn't get as much sleep as I would have liked, however...

1. I overall have more energy

2. Felt real joy- was dancing in the kitchen

3 have a better attitude especially at work yesterday and today

4. My shoulder problem has gotten much better

Thank you everyone for all the good info. It also helps when to read your experiences when I was feeling low last Sunday.

Carol

The only negative is that I am so tired and foggy! I am in the middle of a writing project and I have accomplished nothing since the beginning of Lent!

On the positive,

I am sleeping so much better. (Unfortunately I could easily nap for an hour after lunch now, where I used to just have a quick 10 minute doze.)

I am not hungry.

I am realizing that I *do* eat quite mindfully because of my gluten intolerance. I just needed to work on not reaching for the honey for my coffee, and the potato chips for lunch. 

I don't need a drink every night. I miss it. But I am surviving.

Hello Forum -  i need some sweet potato help.  I'm a very accomplished cook, but I CANNOT get sweet potato fries accomplished.  I'm attempting to bake them, and cannot get the interior more than "squishy" and the exterior is always less than crispy, or burnt.  I've tried baking sheet, baking sheet with parchment, single layer, olive oil, no oil, full length, half length, McDonald's size, Wendy's size.  Next attempt (and, might I say FINAL!) will be Freddy's size. Are sweet potatoes capable of getting crispy when baked, like what you get restaurant style?  Any help would be much appreciated.

• Administrators

Hello Forum -  i need some sweet potato help.  I'm a very accomplished cook, but I CANNOT get sweet potato fries accomplished.  I'm attempting to bake them, and cannot get the interior more than "squishy" and the exterior is always less than crispy, or burnt.  I've tried baking sheet, baking sheet with parchment, single layer, olive oil, no oil, full length, half length, McDonald's size, Wendy's size.  Next attempt (and, might I say FINAL!) will be Freddy's size. Are sweet potatoes capable of getting crispy when baked, like what you get restaurant style?  Any help would be much appreciated.

I've done the instructions on this website before with a pretty good margin of success. (Of course I did not use canola oil, I used avocado oil). The trick on this one was to use the high 450F heat and to cook them in the top of the oven. I thought it worked pretty well....not exactly restaurant-deep-fried, but better than the mooshy ones I had been getting. Let me know if you try it!

http://www.eatingwell.com/healthy_cooking/healthy_cooking_101_basics_and_techniques/how_to_make_perfect_crispy_oven_fried_sweet_potato_fries

Day 10 All, are we awesome or what? ☺️ Congratulations for making it to the 1/3 mark.

1. ENERGY

2. Liberation from food cravings and that out-of-control way of life.

3. A knowing that what I'm doing isn't over in 20 days, but really just the beginning of the lifestyle I've been trying to achieve for many years.

TGIF/Peace

Lots, but here are my top 3:

Waking up a few minutes before the alarm goes off (although still feeling tired unfortunately)

Not a single hypoglycemic crash

Feeling a calm joy and happiness (I too was dancing in the kitchen last night)

Oh, a 4th since it may help with the sweet potato fries question -- I was inspired to buy a veggie spiralizer.  I preheat oven to 350, put the curly potatoes on a baking sheet, drizzle EVOO and sprinkle Kosher salt.  I just watch them in the oven because they are so much thinner they don't take as long to bake.  They have a nice chewy crunchiness to them. 

Have also been making zucchini noodes, sauteed them in coconut oil or light olive oil, put in baking dish topped with diced cooked chicken or meatballs, mushrooms, and compliant tomato sauce.  I've been trying to cook with ghee but having a real tough time with both the smell AND taste.  I'm trying to force myself to like it, but no luck so far.

My top three are as follows!

1. This undoubtedly tops my list, I can get out of bed in the morning! Normally it takes half an hour or so but I've been up within minutes of my alarm, if not waking before it :)

2. As much as I still want my sugary treats that I've been self-medicating with for years, today I finally feel like I don't actually need them!

3. I've become so aware of what is genuine hunger, and what is an emotional craving!

I'm still very nervous that I won't be able to do the full 30 days but I really hope I do as I'm learning so much :) well done everyone on 1/3 of the way through!

OK - I am on day 13 

We had positives yesterday 

Now for the problems

My bloating is no better - I look seriously pregnant

Fewer and fewer clothes are fitting - not going to even start on underwear - I look like a nursing mum of twins

Really struggling - what to do ?

Go on with w30 and get worse ?

Go on with w30 and get better ?

Give up on w30 ?  

Go back to the exercise regime running a marathon every week and go back to eating paleo 

Go AIP w30  and see if that helps - worried by this one I will end up eating nothing & reacting to everything

SIGH ! - when I first started on this journey to heal myself & have a better long term sustainable lifestyle I went down the primal route and remember reading about effortless weight loss and weight management - HOW CAN EFFORTLESS WEIGHT MANAGEMENT TAKE SO MUCH EFFORT

Any thoughts ?

Sorry for the moan

Zoe

OK - I am on day 13 

We had positives yesterday 

Now for the problems

My bloating is no better - I look seriously pregnant

Fewer and fewer clothes are fitting - not going to even start on underwear - I look like a nursing mum of twins

Really struggling - what to do ?

Go on with w30 and get worse ?

Go on with w30 and get better ?

Give up on w30 ?  

Go back to the exercise regime running a marathon every week and go back to eating paleo 

Go AIP w30  and see if that helps - worried by this one I will end up eating nothing & reacting to everything

SIGH ! - when I first started on this journey to heal myself & have a better long term sustainable lifestyle I went down the primal route and remember reading about effortless weight loss and weight management - HOW CAN EFFORTLESS WEIGHT MANAGEMENT TAKE SO MUCH EFFORT

Any thoughts ?

Sorry for the moan

Zoe

Can you post 2-3 days worth of your typical food log in the Troubleshooting section?  Include portion sizes, daily water consumption, any exercise, and pre/post workout fuel. That will give folks here the details we need to give you specific feedback on possible tweaks.

Zoe, I feel the same.  I am also a quite active and so feel that intensive exercise is a missing piece.  It will be interested to see your food/exercise log and hear what other see that you (or me) aren't.

Sherri Quite Contrary: Thanks for asking about the sweet potato, because I had the same question.

Myself:

I inadvertently screwed up yesterday.  I was excited to make a compliant meal for my kids and hubby would like - venison stew!!  I was making a tomato based version and planned to season it with my Wildtree Absolutely Onion mix.  I really didn't think I had to look at my can of "crushed tomatoes" ingredients, so I didn't initially and threw them in the crockpot.  Then, I grabbed the dry onion mix.  I knew Wildtree didn't put in plastics in spices and were largely organic.  Just as I was measuring it out, I spun the container around.  First ingredient = "Evaporated Cane Juice" = non-compliant!  I was so disappointed.  Then, I grabbed the empty tomato can - third ingredient was sugar!  Ugh!  I had to pause and made a decision to restart or forego the meal.  I work full time, run kids everywhere, volunteer...and am trying to take care  of myself.  I am so impressed with myself so far!!  *SIGH* big let down here, but, because of my busy-ness (I used up my "meal prep" time for the day) and this was (outside-of-the-Whole30-world) a >98% healthy meal for my family to enjoy and eat together, I made it and ate it with my kids. No compliants; No questions why I am eating something "healthy" & typically yucky to them.  There is some kind of stress relief with seeing your kids happily eat something mostly healthy.  Next time I can be more conscious about what's in the pantry (Obviously, I did not do a thorough Day 0 clean out of the cupboards).  

So, even though I am back to Day 1 (from 9), my positives:

1) I am learning so much about what is and shouldn't be in our foods!!!  (wow, I cannot believe my discoveries yesterday!)

2) Exploring my grocery stores for quantity, quality, and types of frozen (and compliant) vegetables (e.g., Walmart has huge bags of chopped broccolli, whereas other stores where i live only have the small bags)

3) I love ending my day with a cup of Pukka Relax tea and reading (Omnivore's dilemma) (vs. a glass of wine & TV)

By the way, if you are getting the Whole30 emails ($15) and at the day you hit "I messed up today" (instead of "I did another day of the Whole30"), then the exact same emails start over from Day 0 that very day.

Keep strong everyone!  I am ready to do even better the next 30 days!!!

cckern928, that SUUUCKS. It's always amazing/horrifying to me how many foods contain added sugar! Here's one that surprised me a few weeks ago (before I started this Whole30): my favorite salsa contains soybean oil! What what WHAT? Why??

Archived