Meal 1 timing

nerudite

So I started the Whole 30 today and I have absolutely no problem with the food choices, etc.  My major issue this morning was cooking right after I woke up (sweet potato hash, mushrooms and spinach, and eggs).  I recall in the book that you should eat fairly soon after you wake up, but this morning I got sick to my stomach from the smell of the food I was cooking, to the point I couldn't eat it until 10 a.m.  Naturally this threw off my lunch and I couldn't eat it all, and here I am hungry mid-afternoon. 

I'm going to try making a casserole tonight with lots of veggies, so all I have to do is warm up my food in the morning and maybe that won't be so bad, but I'm really not used to eating a big meal first thing in the morning.

Would it be really bad if I wake up around 6:30 a.m., but that I don't eat until closer to 8?  Thanks for the help!

Deb

• Administrators

Hi Deb, you should definitely eat within 60 minutes of waking for optimal hormone regulation.  It's a pretty big part of Whole30 and once you get used to it, has a lot of positive side effects.

Cooking first thing in the morning is definitely something to get used to.  I prep all the food in advance and then simply reheat and sometimes I'll sautee veggies to go with it but they are always already pre-sliced.

You could try things that are a bit more palatable first thing in the morning like soups with protein added (silky gingered zucchini soup from Clothes Make the Girl as well as her Golden Cauliflower Soup are favourites around here).  Chicken salad in lettuce cups with homemade mayo or avocado instead of the mayo is a good one too.  There are lost of quiche style "bakes" floating around the interwebs that are great to make on Sunday and then I usually cut them into squares and put a square in a metal pan covered in foil as soon as I get up and heat it in the oven for the 45 minutes it takes me to get ready.  Then pour the coffee and breakfast is ready!

If you find you can't get through your entire breakfast, pack it up and take the remainder with you and eat it as SOON as you feel able to.  A few days of this "breakfast training" and you should be able to eat a template meal in the morning....it just takes some getting used to.

Thanks for your quick reply.  I had everything prepped (onions cut, sweet potatoes prepped, etc.), but it was the smell of them cooking that just did me in.  I'll make a veggie casserole tonight and see if reheating versus cooking from scratch helps out. 

I have the same problem. Also I work on a farm and my mornings I am quite physically active. I am wondering if I can do a pre/wo - po/wo meal before and after work in the morning instead of a full on breakfast.(I understand that my job does not count as a work out) Also, I am not a morning person and my usual thing is to grab a banana and a cup of yogurt on the way out the door. It would be nice if I could still grab and go but I understand the health benefits of sitting down and enjoying the meal. I am also having a hard time eating enough at each meal to stay full. I am a grazer normally so this much food at once is challenging! I am sure that will work its self out as I go longer. 

Thanks for posting! I hope the casserole worked out for you. My hubby likes stuff like that. I however can't stand stuff like that early in the morning. Even the smell of it heating up would turn my stomach! At this point even sweet potatoes seem unappetizing that early! 

• Administrators

Hi Meg, working on a farm sounds awesome!  I'm sure I'm probably romanticizing it, but I always thought working outside with dirt and animals would be so much better than sitting in an office.  Ask me again on a cold rainy day though, haha.

As far as having pre and post workout meals instead of breakfast...you could maybe start there but the idea is to try and get to three full meals starting with the one that is within an hour of waking.

There are a lot of people who are in a similar boat and are converting from "grazer" to meal eater. 

I found these two threads by googling "Whole30 breakfast", they have some good make ahead ideas in there.

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/5117-so-bored-of-breakfast/

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/17162-what-should-i-eat-for-breakfast-for-whole-30/

See my post above as well about how to start to "condition" your body to accept the larger meal over time.

G'luck!

ladyshanny: Thanks! That's what I was thinking. I could do the two small meals until my stomach got used to breakfast. When I first started a healthier lifestyle I couldn't even eat yogurt for breakfast so I have come a long way! 

And yes working on a farm is great. I work on a horse farm so i spend more time with manure than I do dirt...lol. And yes cold wet mornings make me rethink my job decision...lol. But every other day makes it worth it! Fresh air and horses and the views where I work are nice too. I am very thankful for my job. It has been therapeutic for not only my body(I have disk issues in my back and neck) but my soul! 

Thanks for the threads as well! I will check them out! 

Nerudite…I'm so with you.  I normally don't eat for hours until after I wake up as well.  The first few days of this (I'm on Day 6) I forgot that I needed to eat breakfast within an hour and just ate it whenever.  The last 2 days I ate it basically upon waking up, and I was less hungry all day.  I didn't crave snacks like I normally would so that is motivation to try it! LOL!   I actually did what Ladyshanny suggested and had a bowl of vegetable soup and made a quick omelette, and it was palatable.  Keep at it and good luck!

• 1 month later...

Hi Deb, you should definitely eat within 60 minutes of waking for optimal hormone regulation.  It's a pretty big part of Whole30 and once you get used to it, has a lot of positive side effects.

Is this in the book only?  I am having trouble finding it anywhere on the website, other than the various forums here.

• Administrators

Is this in the book only?  I am having trouble finding it anywhere on the website, other than the various forums here.

It is definitely in the book, yes, I don't believe there are any Whole30 or Whole9 articles dedicated to explaining specifically why this is one of our recommendations.  One thing it isn't though, is a "Whole30" made up thing, it's based in science and explanations for it can be found all across the web.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/445916-what-time-should-you-eat-breakfast/

http://easacademy.org/trainer-resources/article/why-breakfast-is-the-most-important-meal-of-the-day-eas-academy

http://www.thepaleomom.com/2012/06/is-breakfast-really-most-important-meal.html(the third paragraph and down on this article basically explains exactly what is up with the hormone issues surrounding not eating right away)

It is definitely in the book, yes, I don't believe there are any Whole30 or Whole9 articles dedicated to explaining specifically why this is one of our recommendations.  One thing it isn't though, is a "Whole30" made up thing, it's based in science and explanations for it can be found all across the web.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/445916-what-time-should-you-eat-breakfast/

http://easacademy.org/trainer-resources/article/why-breakfast-is-the-most-important-meal-of-the-day-eas-academy

http://www.thepaleomom.com/2012/06/is-breakfast-really-most-important-meal.html(the third paragraph and down on this article basically explains exactly what is up with the hormone issues surrounding not eating right away)

Thank you very much for the quick and informative response!

One more question that about the Meal Planning Template in your signature: for fats at each meal, are those "ors" or "ands"?  I.e. Oils OR Butter OR Coconut OR Olives/Seeds OR Avocado OR Coconut Milk,...or...Oils AND Butter AND Coconut AND Olives/Seeds AND Avocado AND Coconut Milk?  The latter seems like way too much, but the former seems like it could be not enough.

• Moderators

Thank you very much for the quick and informative response!

One more question that about the Meal Planning Template in your signature: for fats at each meal, are those "ors" or "ands"?  I.e. Oils OR Butter OR Coconut OR Olives/Seeds OR Avocado OR Coconut Milk,...or...Oils AND Butter AND Coconut AND Olives/Seeds AND Avocado AND Coconut Milk?  The latter seems like way too much, but the former seems like it could be not enough.

They're "ors" but it's also the minimum. If you have, say, a taco salad and would normally put both avocado and olives on it and that puts you over the recommended one to two thumb size fat equivalent, it's okay.

Girls, you'll get over it .. Just do as the instructions say.. change your habits and all will be well with the world. Its that simple.. 

The program is like magic..   Once you get a taste of  how good you can feel you won't want to turn back.. And those occasions

when you do and you feel ehhhh.. it will only reinforce how wonderful it is to eat first thing in the morning etc…

Uggg - I didn't know this before. I usually don't eat for a couple hours after I get up. In the days when I ate a lot of carbs, I always woke up hungry to eat first thing, but now that I eat more protein, I can go longer without eating, and don't want to eat early (especially heavy food like meat and eggs). I'll have to work on that. Sigh. :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

The past few mornings I have had a bowl of carrot potato soup and an apple with almond butter. I know it is starch heavy - but in these unbelievably cold winter months we've been having I have no qualms.  Plus it is so easy to just nuke and munch on - my brain isn't totally engaged enough to start cooking for myself - plus feeding and cleaning up after my toddlers! Some mornings I also feel like I live on a farm  :P

So I get up for work at 2:45am and leave by 3:10. I don't get my first break for breakfast until about 6:00 at which time I have been eating breakfast, followed by lunch about 12:30 then dinner around 5:30. The thing is if I wake up any earlier it would be hard because I try to get as much sleep now as I can that's only about 6 hours. Do you think I could get away with a quick snack right when I wake up then just continue as normal? I really don't have time to sit down and eat and it's so early I dont want to eat a full course. Any suggestions?

So I get up for work at 2:45am and leave by 3:10. I don't get my first break for breakfast until about 6:00 at which time I have been eating breakfast, followed by lunch about 12:30 then dinner around 5:30. The thing is if I wake up any earlier it would be hard because I try to get as much sleep now as I can that's only about 6 hours. Do you think I could get away with a quick snack right when I wake up then just continue as normal? I really don't have time to sit down and eat and it's so early I dont want to eat a full course. Any suggestions?

I would eat a mini meal on your way to work, definitely within that hour of waking. Some things you could try are a soup like suggested (but make sure you add some protein to it), a couple of hard boiled eggs and some carrots sticks, a couple of egg muffins. Basically anything you can grab on the way out the door and safely eat while commuting that has a good protein/fat/veg ratio.

Archived