blueberry "tortilla"

rachieleah

A Spanish tortilla (which she's riffing on) is more an omelet than any sort of American-style pancake, and there are no flours or anything - she's not trying to recreate a pancake experience. So I would say it would be OK as long as it's not ringing any sort of craving bells for you personally, and I would make sure to add plenty of vegetables with your meal.

One note - a lot of people find that eating a lot of fruit early in the morning contributes to blood sugar spikes/crashes or sugar cravings during the day, so if you're planning to have this for breakfast, you might pay close attention to what any consequences might be.

• Moderators

A Spanish tortilla (which she's riffing on) is more an omelet than any sort of American-style pancake, and there are no flours or anything - she's not trying to recreate a pancake experience. So I would say it would be OK as long as it's not ringing any sort of craving bells for you personally, and I would make sure to add plenty of vegetables with your meal.

One note - a lot of people find that eating a lot of fruit early in the morning contributes to blood sugar spikes/crashes or sugar cravings during the day, so if you're planning to have this for breakfast, you might pay close attention to what any consequences might be.

I agree with this take on it.

So what is the difference? I'm trying to understand why a pancake made from eggs and bananas is out and a tortilla made from eggs and blueberries is not. Is it because that paleo pancake is trying to replace a conventional pancake and that fruity tortilla isn't trying to replace a regular corn or flour tortilla? I'm not trying to walk close to a ledge, I'm trying to understand the distinction so I can make good choices.

• Moderators

So what is the difference? I'm trying to understand why a pancake made from eggs and bananas is out and a tortilla made from eggs and blueberries is not. Is it because that paleo pancake is trying to replace a conventional pancake and that fruity tortilla isn't trying to replace a regular corn or flour tortilla? I'm not trying to walk close to a ledge, I'm trying to understand the distinction so I can make good choices.

Just FYI, what it's replicating isn't a corn or flour tortilla, although here in the US that's the use of tortilla we're familiar with. I didn't know this until this particular question came up, but apparently, in Spain, they have a type of omelette that is referred to as a tortilla. Who knew, right? 

Sometimes these SWYPO things do get kind of tricky. I'm sure other moderators will come by here to weigh in on this, but here's my take on this particular recipe vs the banana pancake recipes I've seen: 

First, this recipe is 4 eggs and 1/2  cup blueberries. Banana pancakes are 1 egg and 1 banana for one pancake. This tortilla recipe is much, much closer to meeting the meal template. The banana pancakes are really, really fruit heavy, and to get enough eggs for a serving in the form of banana pancakes, you'd have to use 3-4 bananas, plus add your vegetables. The blueberry tortilla just needs some vegetables to be a meal that meets the template. (Yes, a meal. 4 eggs=a meal, not two or three meals.)

Second, the tortilla recipe includes savory elements -- I've never seen a banana pancake recipe that does that. Given the ratio of banana to egg, it would be hard to make them particularly savory, but I've never seen anyone even try.

Third, the banana pancakes actually look and are textured very much like actual pancakes, even the ones that only have a banana and an egg and nothing else. (I made some of them once, not on a W30, just to see what the fuss was about. They weren't light, fluffy pancakes, but if you favor moist, dense pancakes, they were really similar.) The tortilla, from what I can tell from the picture, really doesn't, it seems like it would be more like an omelette. Although, I've never made it, I could be wrong.

So, that's my take on it, for whatever it's worth. Obviously, if you think it might be too pancake-like for you, then you would leave it out of your Whole30 -- a lot of SWYPO, other than the things specifically spelled out in the rules, is really about knowing yourself and being honest with yourself about what might trigger cravings or might keep you stuck in the same mindset of what you can and will eat without really learning to change your habits.  

(If you really want to make us happy as moderators, just scramble the stupid things and call it done, please!  :D )

yup. A Spanish tortilla is an omelet/egg dish. They don't usually have blueberries, but adding some blueberries to them is ok (the ones I've seen are usually potato and savory vegetables. A spanish tortilla is ok on the whole30.

I also add blueberries to ground turkey meatballs all the time and it is also just fine.

Replicating a Mexican tortilla is not allowed on the whole30 and neither are pancakes. I think Shannon did a great job explaining why, so I'll leave it at that.

oh no Glenn. Do not make a blueberry clafouti. Clafouti is a kind of CAKE :o  (that "paleo" one you linked is pretty bastardized to remove the usual cake-ness). Clafouti, at least as it is traditionally made, is a dessert.

Spanish tortilla/omlete is the way to go.

oh no Glenn. Do not make a blueberry clafouti. Clafouti is a kind of CAKE :o  (that "paleo" one you linked is pretty bastardized to remove the usual cake-ness). Clafouti, at least as it is traditionally made, is a dessert.

Spanish tortilla/omlete is the way to go.

It's not a clafouti; it's a "clafouti." And trust me: it's good. (Or anyway, I like it better than the blueberry tortilla/omelette).

But yeah, okay; I muddied up the waters.

Archived