Kmlynne's Whole 30: 2015

Kmlynne

Kmlynne, you are one busy lady!  I love reading your stories (sorry for the scraped up knee).  I know a young girl who had the same surgery as your daughter will have... she did very, very well and has no regrets.  I'm glad she can be home with her momma.  Congrats on the day shift - I honestly don't know how you do it all!  God bless you.  Thanks for sharing your strength and inspiration.  Best, Donna

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 131

Crazy busy day at work. Who knew that so many people would be having babies on a holiday weekend? :)

Ended up eating breakfast somewhere around noon. Managed to eat lunch mid to late afternoon and dinner once home. I should have gone walking this evening, but never made it. :(

M1: 4 sb eggs, sweet and salty slaw

M2: 2 brats, sauerkraut, mashed potato

M3: 1/2 small roasted chicken, roasted carrots and broccoli, guacamole

Activity: 4 miles walked at work

Day 133

Well, I jumped on the scale this morning.  I had missed my weigh in on day 120 and was curious.  I am wishing that I hadn't.  I have GAINED 7 pounds this 30 (43) days.  :(  After my walk this afternoon, I tried again and was down 4 pounds from this morning.  I figured it was probably fluid...  my legs have been swelling lately.  But, this is part of why I don't like to weigh :)  It did make me think a bit, however, and I realized that I need to probably cut back on the sauerkraut.  I have been craving it lately, but it may be too much salt.

Yesterday - work day.

Meals:

M1 4 sb eggs and sweet and salty slaw (Well Fed)

M2 2 brats, sauerkraut, mashed potato

M3  2 burger patties, sautéed onion and mushrooms, roasted carrots and broccoli

Today - work day - at least for four hours.  Really busy at work and I was worried I wouldn't be able to leave.  I was lucky enough that someone else agreed to come in extra on the holiday :)  I left work and headed for the woods.  I was able to get a 12 mile hike in today and it felt good.  Hot - so I was sweaty - but I kept up with the water and had no problems.  I have to figure out a way to eat and drink more while hike.  If I eat too much at a time, or drink too much water, I begin to feel nauseous.  That leaves me with having to stop many times to get my water bottle out of my pack, take a drink and put it back.  

After the hike, made it home to shower, then went to the grocery store to get stuff to cook for the next few days.  Home for a cook-up and dinner.  Now, I am ready for bed - have to be up early in the morning for work.

M1  (eaten on my way to the woods - like I said, it was uber busy today)  4 sb eggs, sweet and salty slaw

M2  3 sb eggs, banana, orange juice - eaten while hiking

M3  chicken leg quarter, mashed potatoes, roasted broccoli

Activity - 12 mile hike :)

Karen, you KNOW you have not gained 7 pounds of fat during this time.  I know you know it -- just saying it one more time for you, really loud.  :)

How are your clothes fitting?  Have you done inches measurements?  

Most importantly, it seems that you are feeling good and staying active and productive.  Keep up the great work!  

Karen, you KNOW you have not gained 7 pounds of fat during this time.  I know you know it -- just saying it one more time for you, really loud.  :)

How are your clothes fitting?  Have you done inches measurements?  

Most importantly, it seems that you are feeling good and staying active and productive.  Keep up the great work!

I know :). Especially since I lost 4 of it by hiking! Clothes actually are a TINY bit snugged, but it's not like I have gone to a bigger size (in fact, all my "big" clothes are packed away in a box.

I am not worried, however I am paying just a bit closer attention to what and how much I am eating (and when). I have always know that I tend to hold onto fluid in times of stress, when my activity levels change, when I work nights, when I eat differently and when I get into too much salt.

Thank for the encouragement :)

Day 134

Work today - 12 hour shift.  Not too bad - busy enough to let the day go by fairly quickly but not so busy that you feel drained.  

DD home today.  I talked her into taking the dogs for a walk with me this evening.  I love when the kids do this with me - we get uninterrupted talking time.  She had a great time on her trip with her father this week.  She is very excited to only have 5 days of school left, but a bit nervous about the surgery.  I think she is finally realizing that she will not be feeling up to doing much for a while :)  She is also thinking more about what kinds of foods to have at the house (She really just wants Wawa Smoothies).  I have a feeling that I will have a lot of things that I shouldn't be eating in the house :(  I will stand strong :)

After our walk, got home to find DS.  All three of us sat in the living room for about an hour and just chatted.  Love it  :wub:

Finally showered and heading for bed when I realized that I hadn't eaten a meal three.  Foraged in the fridge and found some food.

M1:  4 sb eggs and slaw

M2:  2.5 brats with onions and mushrooms cooked in cider, mashed potatos

M3:  chicken leg quarter, broccoli, guac

Activity - 4 mile walk after work

sounds like you seriously need a platypus for carrying your water while you hike.  I am so amazed at the miles you put in - on top of all your work.  Hope your daughter's surgery goes well.

I just ordered a cheap bladder for my backpack (3L) to see if I like it or not.  If I find that I do, I will be more open to buying a more expensive one.  The thing that makes me unsure about the bladders is mold growing in them since they are so hard to wash out.  I saw a comment from someone who said that they keep theirs in the freezer when they aren't using it to keep that from happening.

Hi everyone! I have read this topic all the way, and I have to thank you Kmlynne for being such an amazing inspiration. I have struggled all my life with my weight and body image issues, and whole30 seems like a good idea. Your experience is what convinced me to take the plunge, so Monday I will start it. Best of wishes to you to keep up your efforts, and to your daughter too for her surgery.

Melina

Hi everyone! I have read this topic all the way, and I have to thank you Kmlynne for being such an amazing inspiration. I have struggled all my life with my weight and body image issues, and whole30 seems like a good idea. Your experience is what convinced me to take the plunge, so Monday I will start it. Best of wishes to you to keep up your efforts, and to your daughter too for her surgery.

Melina

Melina - welcome to w30! I am so glad to have been able to inspire you and I look forward to hearing about your adventures on w30! The best part is the love and support you will find in this group of friends you never knew you had :). Best of luck to you!

Day 135

Wow, what a day!  Up this am early to get DD off to school.  She only has 5 days left!  Two SOLs  (standards of learning exams) today, but she said they went well.  A couple of projects left for her to wrap up, then she is done and having surgery.

As for me, after getting her off to school, I got myself together and headed out too.  I had a class (Introduction to Evidenced Based Practice).  Learned a lot - some of it rather eye opening.  Did you know that once research shows a certain practice to be the "best", it can take, on average, 17 YEARS to be put into practice?  Crazy!  Most of the class was about how to apply Evidence Based practice into how we care for patients now.  I have to do a project for my clinical advancement this summer and most of the class was about how to do so.  I am feeling very overwhelmed with all that I have taken on lately.

Anyway, after class, I headed off to the gym for a few miles.  I was almost done with my workout when I got a text from my son - he needed me to call him right away - he had a flat tire.  I had visions of him on the side of the road somewhere.  Come to find out, he had already changed his tire and was heading home and wanted to know what to do.  I sent him off to a local shop where they said they were unable to fix the flat (he hit a pothole) but his rim was in good shape.  I swung by there to pay for the new tire and continued on with my day. 

My next stop was the church to get some paperwork and payroll done, then on to get my pedi.  (I love treating myself  ;) ).  From there, to work for a staffing meeting about the schedule.  Made it to church late, but at least I made it.  Now I am home and realizing, yet again, that I haven't had meal 3.  I am not really hungry at all, but knowing I need to eat.....  I am having another late meal.

My legs are quite swollen today.  I am not sure what is going on.  I have cut out most salt (not even putting some on my eggs) - the only salt i am getting is from the tiny bits of bacon in my slaw.  Even though I was sitting a good part of the morning, I have gotten some good walks in this week, good sleep, and drinking plenty of water.  The only thing I can attribute it too is the heat (85 in my house right now  :blink: )

M1:  2.5 brats, onions and mushrooms, mashed potatoes

M2:  4 sb eggs, sweet and salty slaw

M3:  burger/sausage in marinara sauce

Activity:  6 miles at the gym

Put your legs up and relax.   How about a bath with some Epsom?  It's just magnesium, do you think that would help pull the swelling out of your legs?  When you're sitting for long hours...have you ever put a box under your desk to rest your feet on?

Not too high but even 4 or 5 inches would keep your legs/circulation from being cut off at the back of the legs...that stay compressed against the edge of the chair.   Try it, it might help.

Meadow lily - I would love an Epsom salt bath, but have no tub :(. Looked at having one put in but it was out of my price range. I do keep a stool under my desk at work. The leg swelling is so,etching I have struggled with off and on - especially when I worked nights. Just haven't had too much of a problem lately.

Thanks for the suggestion tho :)

Well,  heck-a-toot.  I have one more idea.  A swimming pool or therapy pool.  Where you work, do they have one for rehab that they would let you use.  I think that would help leg swelling...going to the pool, kicking your legs and floating around with some of those styro-foam barbells under your arms.  Letting your legs dangle down in the deeper water.  Yeah, that's what you need.  You need to kick back, float around in circles - look at the ceiling beams and let the mind and body go.  Relaxation to compensate for long hours and hard work.   Yep, rehab for stress.

Karen, I have A LOT to say about your Evidence Based Practice class -- and your revelation about 17 years -- like it caused a little explosion to go off in my brain.  haha    

...But, since I don't have time to type a book, I will just say this is why I am SO glad that there are folks out there like Chris Kresser who are constantly researching new info and applying it in their practice.  There are so many things I've learned from all of my books and podcasts, articles online, etc -- things that are just common knowledge TO ME -- but then I hear of mainstream docs still recommending things that are SO out-of-date.  It makes me so sad and a more than a little bit angry when I let myself think about it...  Because, in the meantime, while everyone else takes their time getting their shit together, how many people are needlessly suffering and dying years before they "should" have?

I think this is why it is just SO important for each of us to be learning to take good care of ourselves...  Because no one out there is going to do it for us.  Let's face it, most of us cannot afford Chris Kresser or someone similar, and our health insurance won't cover it.  So I think this class will be a great affirmation for you of what you are already doing... and who knows?  May just spark something inside of you that you didn't even know was there.  There is a great need for medical providers who are not living in the stone age, you know.  ;)

Re: salt.  I originally wanted to post to say, do a quick google about the grey celtic salt and/or pink himalayan.  I've heard more and more about both lately.  The grey, I've been told can actually help when you feel like you are holding water.  But I haven't taken the time to research it myself.  Might be worth making the switch for awhile and see what you notice.

Re: salt.  I originally wanted to post to say, do a quick google about the grey celtic salt and/or pink himalayan.  I've heard more and more about both lately.  The grey, I've been told can actually help when you feel like you are holding water.  But I haven't taken the time to research it myself.  Might be worth making the switch for awhile and see what you notice.

I actually switched to a coarse kosher salt from penny's (non-iodized) and found that it after I switched the swelling was largely better.  I guess I cut out all the salt just because that is my "go to", not because it particularly helped  :rolleyes: .  Most of the time, it just runs its course and goes away on its own.....  I figure that it is mostly the heat right now.....  I guess it was just bothering me more right now because of that darn scale!  Anyway, have to weigh in for the competition at work on June 15, then I will be able to tuck it away again for quite some time.  As long as i feel G.O.O.D., am active and the clothes continue to get too big, I really don't need it  :D .

Friend, have you had a sweet potato, lately?  

snack-crazy-rabbit-emoticon.gif?12927937

No, I haven't - which is a bit unusual for me.  DD had one a couple days ago with the meat sauce mix over it.  That was the plan for me too, but by the time I had some of the meat sauce mix last night, I didn't want to wait for one to cook  :P .  I have a couple in my veggie bowl that need to get eaten!

Day 136

I am posting a bit early today because I am afraid I am going to be having a late night, and I need to get up early to work tomorrow.

I went a to bed a little late last night - got caught up watching the last episode of Survivor - and slept right until the alarm went off.  For the last couple of weeks, I have been waking up early.  Was moving slow this morning but managed to get myself out the door to meet a friend to walk.  Even though it was hot and muggy out, we managed to get 8 miles in.  Home for a quick shower, and now I am waiting on DD to get home from school to head out to my moms.  Ever since the kids were infants, our family tradition has been to get together for a dinner - the birthday person gets to choose where.  When the kids were little they always chose a restaurant, but about 3 years ago, I asked for my dinner to be at my mom and dads - for Dads grilled ribs and Moms Black Forest cake.  It kinda caught on and DD also asks for "Ribs at Gmas".  It is a bit past her birthday, but her life has been busy!

Today, dad promised to have ribs - and he is keeping some off to the side for me without sauce.  I think they are finally getting used to my "dietary restrictions"  :P

M1:  chicken breast, baby carrots, guac

M2:  3 sb eggs, sweet and salty slaw

M3:  dinner at gas......

Activity - 8 mile hike

Here's a super simple restorative yoga pose to help with the leg swelling. It's wonderfully relaxing and is my go-to for tired legs, swollen ankles, and insomnia. (I also don't have a tub, so I have to get creative.)

I do this!!!!!!  I just didn't realize its a yoga pose :)

I usually lay in my bed and put my legs up the headboard...  have even fallen asleep that way  :rolleyes: .  It does help!

So, dinner at my parents yesterday was a bit of a bust.  I did have ribs, but mom made:  corn on the cob, broccoli salad (with regular mayo), and mac and cheese.  I ate ribs.  I found out afterwards that my dad had put a rub on them that included "just a little bit of sugar".  *sigh*

I did scrounge some other veggies (broccoli) so it wasn't all bad.  Mom felt bad - she thought she was doing great with the corn and salad.  

I need help!

Next week my DD has her surgery and I am sudden,y realizing that I will need to pack at least 6-8 "meals".

Here is the catch... Kinda hard to walk into a hospital and sit in waiting rooms all day with a cooler. I have no idea if the hospital has covered parking (probably not) so keeping a cooler in the car really isn't a viable option. I have a large lunch bag that will hold three meals on ice, but the ice packs probably won't last more than a day. I really don't want to visit the cafeteria and risk that. Leaving the hospital for a meal is not an option (it's my baby after all) and the hospital is too far away for friends or family to bring me anything.

The only things that I can think of taking to eat that can stay at room temp for two+days are raw veggies. Now, I don't mind eating raw veg for all those meals, but what about PROTEINS?

What's a girl to do?

Karen, are you planning to extend this "Whole 30" past June 1?  (Your original date?)  I mean, how far past?  Do you have a new date in mind?

The reason I ask is...  You are not really doing this to be able to do a careful re-intro and pinpoint food reactions... are you?  I mean, we've already been there, done that, right?

I know you are afraid of the slippery slope of not being "compliant" ...  But I have to say that if it were me, I would go to the cafeteria, get a protein and veggies, and call it done.  Take along a few nuts and a couple pieces of fruit, if you want, but maybe let the cafeteria workers do the work for you on this one?  I don't know, maybe that is not a popular opinion.  I just feel like you are already going to be under the stress of worrying about your daughter... why stress out about your meals if you don't need to?

If you are 100% set on staying compliant through this time, I hope folks come through with some great ideas for you.   Because all I've come up with is homemade jerky.  lol  Hey, you can get hard-boiled eggs in a cafeteria, right?  I mean, our hospital has a full salad bar that should be ~fairly~ easy to navigate.

Archived