February 1st

Stargazer93

Lard is the rendered fat from a pig. it can be used in the same way as duck fat or ghee. It's what we used to use before sunflower oil became popular (I'm really not that old :-))

Yep, you can buy duck fat and ghee here in Australia. I think it's the same thing as lard? It was tough to find years ago but you can get it a little more easily now. For ghee maybe try an Asian or Indian grocery store if you have one near you. I certainly couldn't be bothered making it! For duck fat, maybe try a fancy grocery store? That was the first place I found it here. 

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone else struggle with eating M1 for breakfast? This morning I had American style breakfast sausage with fried mushrooms, spinach & spring onions. I'm following the AIP so can't have something more palatable first thing like eggs. It was quite difficult to force it down but I guess it will get easier??? 

Does anyone else struggle with eating M1 for breakfast? This morning I had American style breakfast sausage with fried mushrooms, spinach & spring onions. I'm following the AIP so can't have something more palatable first thing like eggs. It was quite difficult to force it down but I guess it will get easier??? 

I know I am.  My breakfast usually consisted of two coffees.   :wacko:  Now I am having to eat a PWO meal and breakfast before lunch and no coffee (I just can't drink it black and I'm not a coconut fan either but would have to add half the can for it to even taste good lol).  I am doing smaller portions but it is hard to finish these meals.  I'm sure it will get better, hang in there!!

Day 3 for me, feeling more relaxed today.  Yesterday, I felt anxious and doubting myself but today, I had all of my food prepped and ready to go this morning even though I accidentally ate my sweet potato for M1 for my PWO.  Luckily, I have some left over butternut squash here at the office.

PWO: Diced chicken and sweet potato

M1: eggs, breakfast sausage, butternut squash

M2: Asian beef, salad with balsamic vinaigrette

M3: Pork chops or crab legs, with a couple of veggies

I'm hoping to make the meat sauce in Well Fed tonight for my next two lunches (or more, I can't believe how much we eat!), cooked the spaghetti squash and meatballs last night.

Keep going everyone!

• Administrators

Yes, to both of you inquiring about M1 being a bit hard to choke down at the beginning.  Not being hungry for a full meal within 1 hour of waking is a clear sign that your hormones are out of balance. Keep trying....keep eating, pack up what you can't eat and take it with you to eat as soon as you feel able to.  It will get easier as your hormones balance out.  I promise!

(This has been discussed by hoardes of people, chances are if you go to any of the "monthly" threads that groups start you'd find us helping folks ease into regular breakfast habits in the first week to 10 days)  ;)

Hi Everyone -

Day 3 for me and feeling great. I made Salmon cakes with a homemade tartar sauce that was amazing! My favorite meal so far. Also added two slices of cantaloupe wrapped in prosciutto. This morning having leftover hamburger patty with sautéed onions and mushrooms, two hard boiled eggs and a handful of cherry tomatoes. Pretty tasty. Had it yesterday morning with sweet potatoes and it was way too filling.

So far I feel less bloated. My only complaint is all the food prep, but hoping to get a bunch done over the weekend to make next week easier.

For the homemade mayo, I used avocado oil, organic from Costco. Tastes great. Couldn't find organic light olive oil. And there is also a bunch of people saying that olive oil is being cut with other oils and sold as pure olive oil, so I'm a little hesitant to buy non-organic from costco or anywhere else. Apparently Costco's has been tested and is legit.

Going to have to check into it more to find some of these sources near me for ghee, lard, duck fat, high quality meats etc :)

Got two organic grass fed chickens from Costco and it's gone a long way! We have the carcasses ready to go for a bone broth in the slow cooker.

Still feeling very sick - sore throat, aches all over my body, headache, runny nose/fleghm, weak and fatigued feeling. Resting a lot today.

M1: sweet potato poached egg nests with side of pork chop

M2: leftover dinner from last night - beef and chicken fajitas with veggies and fajita spice

*added a green juice to my lunch to hopefully help me battle this cold (water, kale, ginger, cranberries, orange, apple, cucumber, lemon)

M3: will be rainbow trout with mix of steamed veggies on the side

Keep up the good work everyone!

Sorry I didn't check in yesterday, had a full day of meetings and obligations. 

Day 3 & 4

Biggest Struggle: The 3pm-6pm time frame is so hard for me. I want sweet snacks and my diet pop. 

Biggest Triumph: There were hot, fresh breadsticks at my evening meeting and they smelled SO GOOD! But I didn't take one bite.

Feeling: I'm feeling really good today (day 4). Definitely dragging at about 4pm, but I always am. It was hard to not go to my crutch of an afternoon snack and a caffeine filled diet pop.

Food:

esoupt.jpg

Breakfasts today - Egg cups, black olives, and stewed unsweetened rhubarb

24fjxuo.jpg

Lunch: pork loin, sauerkraut, cauliflower "rice", strawberries, apple

Dinner: Leftovers - balsamic beef roast, sweet potato, asparagus, blueberries

Day 5 already?

Yesterday I struggled with hunger a bit, caved and had some larabars.. yes, more than one. I know they are technically compliant but I feel like I cheated. My lunch was delayed due to waiting around for a meeting that ended up being canceled. I had planned to get a salad at the grocery store to compliment my meal, but because i kept waiting for this meeting I never got to go, and I felt like my lunch was lacking. I got hungry and ate some nuts and eventually a larabar. I was not happy about that. In addition, I still needed to go to the grocery store and had to go after work bc I couldn't go at lunch and by then I was feeling poorly. I wouldn't say I was craving sugar... just craving food! I was looking for something compliant that I could eat quick but I couldn't find anything handy, so I found a single serving larabar and ate it on my way home before dinner.

In all yesterday I didn't feel terrific but not awful. I had a dull headache at the end of the day and my stomach has been off since Day 1. I think its because I had only added meat back into my diet shortly before the start date and my stomach is still not used to it. Last night I supplemented dinner with eggs for my protein instead of meat because I think I was eating too much meat too fast. I could have pushed my start date back a week but I didn't want to wait.

I still find m1 hard as before I started whole30 I'd always skipped it and as a kid who was fed all bran with milk that made me heave I've always had a mental block about breakfast!!

Pity that the mighty white and at st ivel gold combo didn't put me off bread and butter!!

Anyone else British who remembers st ivel gold? 1970s/early 80s version of a "healthy" butter substitute that is legendary in our family for its singular repulsiveness. decades after the fact even the memory makes me shudder!!

I remember that St Ivels Gold! I was also brought up on cardboard cereal and milk till I stopped milk drinking it when I was about 7, I always hated milk ever since I had the small bottles at school playtime in the morning, it was warm and disgusting and put me off for life. After that I could only stomach it hot such as in poridge or hot chocolate. 

School-Milk-006.jpg

M1 was a bit easier for me this morning, it really is a mind thing. Today I had a pork chop that my boyfriend sliced up really thinly then fanned it out on the plate so it looked pretty. With that I had an avocado and cucumber. M2 was minced beefed cooked with leeks and carrots in a home made chicken stock along with a big side of red cabbage and kale, it was really delicious. 

One big thing I've realised since giving up bread completely is that I really did binge on it. I think partly because I loved it, toast and marmite is my ultimate comfort food, but also because it never made me feel full unless I ate way too much of it. I've done elimination diets before for health reasons but this is the first time I am eating in a way that completely lays transparent my relationship with food. It's pretty good and healthy relationship for most of it but there are foods that are real triggers for bad eating habits, toast being the main one, that turn me into a what can only be called a greedy person. 

I still find m1 hard as before I started whole30 I'd always skipped it and as a kid who was fed all bran with milk that made me heave I've always had a mental block about breakfast!!

Pity that the mighty white and at st ivel gold combo didn't put me off bread and butter!!

Anyone else British who remembers st ivel gold? 1970s/early 80s version of a "healthy" butter substitute that is legendary in our family for its singular repulsiveness. decades after the fact even the memory makes me shudder!!

Super tired and cranky at the end of day 4. Headaches too. When does the malaise end and the super powered energy begin. Blerg.

I started feeling exactly that way end of yesterday. I came home from work and had to force myself to eat when I just wanted to sleep. The timeline say that this usually happens around Day 6 so I think we're close enough to that to make it a normal part of the process?

It's snowing and gray here so that always contributes to that kind of feeling anyway for me.

Hang in there!

Day 5 and I passed signs for Davy's Hotdogs, McDonalds, Cracker Barrel and IHOP.  I don't like/eat at those places anyway, so why was it so hard to not veer off the highway and go get myself a Rooty Tooty Fresh n Fruity Pancake platter?  But nevermind, sucked it up, drank my water and now getting ready for a healthy breakfast at my desk.

I know this is working because my stomach is silent all day and a wonderful bonus is that all of my rings and my watch are now loose and spinning around my fingers and wrist.  Looks like my bloating has gone down significantly!

Day 4 for me and I'm a mess today.  I have already cried once and feel like I could go again.  Why? I don't know.... *shrugs*  Last night was hard, I was cranky, really wanted to go out for dinner, didn't get my red sauce made for my meatballs either. I ended up making a couple of sausages, salad, and sweet potato. I was ready to go to bed at 8:30 but a friend called me and we talked for about an hour and she really cheered me up.

I don't know if I'm trying to hard or what but I work so hard on my meals and when I eat them, I'm so disappointed and not satisfied.  I know last night was my fault since I didn't try and cook but I feel like I will fail if I don't get some good meals in me.  Is this the Sugar Dragon? I think I am going to try to revamp a couple of my recipes that I love instead of using the Well Fed book.  Not knocking the book at all, I love it but I think I need more comfort in knowing I will love the recipe to help me succeed.  Anyone else feeling this?  Maybe since I really don't cook and don't know how to season stuff properly, I am lagging?

Also, I was ready for bed at 8:30 last night but a dear friend called me and really tried to cheer me up and help believe in me when I didn't.  So here's to another day!

M1: eggs, breakfast sausage, sweet potato

M2: tuna salad and veggies

M3: I'm making the meat balls and sauce tonight!

I hope everyone has a great day today!!

Day 3 went really well. I took my Body Pump class without a preWO snack and rocked it! So much energy, I was really suprised. I didn't really feel like making a fancy dinner, so I went easy with a sliced up dinner sausage, cut up bell peppers dippied in olive oil and balsamic vinegar and some plaintain chips dipped in a salsa/mayo mix.

My postWO snacke was 2 slices of proscuitto and a handful of pumpkin seeds.

Can't tell if I'm sleeping better because my sleep is currently interuppted all night long by a toddler. But feeling really good and less bloated every day.

Breakfast for today, Day 4, was a bowl of egg salad and a handful of cherry tomatoes along with a mug of chai tea.

• Administrators

Would this recipe be considered SWYOP? It's just cauliflower and eggs baked baked in tortilla like rounds.

You didn't link the recipe but the cauliflower tortillas are not permitted while on Whole30.  See this thread: http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/11971-cauliflower-tortillas/

• Moderators

I think I am going to try to revamp a couple of my recipes that I love instead of using the Well Fed book.  Not knocking the book at all, I love it but I think I need more comfort in knowing I will love the recipe to help me succeed.  Anyone else feeling this?  Maybe since I really don't cook and don't know how to season stuff properly, I am lagging?

If you can make your favorite recipes compliant, that's definitely okay. You might want to choose recipes that aren't dependent on off-plan ingredients, either in the recipe or in the way you'd usually eat them -- that can actually just make them disappointing. For instance, I made chili during my first Whole30, and it was okay, but every time I had any, I thought, this really needs cheese. Turns out, I don't so much like chili as I like an excuse to cover something with a big pile of cheese, and maybe some fritos. So that was a little disappointing to me, and I figured out I'd really just as soon not have chili if I can't have the cheese with it.

And it's okay to make things that don't really have recipes too. A lot of times I brown a pound or two of ground beef with onions, garlic, salt and pepper at the beginning of the week. Then I can heat it up and dump it on a salad, or throw some veggies in a skillet and when they're about done cooking, throw some of the already cooked ground beef in with it, maybe add a little coconut milk for creaminess, and that's a meal. It's not always a pretty meal, but it's a meal. You can do the same with grilled or baked chicken -- make them with a fairly neutral seasoning and then use them throughout the week to add to whatever form of veggies you feel like cooking.

Day 5 and I passed signs for Davy's Hotdogs, McDonalds, Cracker Barrel and IHOP.  I don't like/eat at those places anyway, so why was it so hard to not veer off the highway and go get myself a Rooty Tooty Fresh n Fruity Pancake platter?  But nevermind, sucked it up, drank my water and now getting ready for a healthy breakfast at my desk.

There is a McDonald's on the way in to my neighbourhood. No matter what direction you come in off the hwy, there it is! Before I moved here 3 1/2 years ago, we almost never had fast food - it wasn't around us or in view with any of our routes to and from work. It was that rare exception like if you were driving 5+ hours to visit family and needed to stop along the hwy. I think I've had more McD in the time since living here than I have ever because my landscape changed dramatically from where I was living before, and it includes a McDonald's. It's partly convenience, but also I think there is some childhood link to it. I remember growing up that the McD in my hometown had the play area, games, it was a 'treat' to go, and they gave you toys.

Now, I know that's not what I'm seeking as an adult, but I think it is a comfort food for me...a temporary relief. I think when we face a lot of unknowns, stressors, or we make changes, there is a strong 'force' that tries to sway us back to what's comfortable, familiar...or the body is seeking something that it has learned it can get quickly and overloads the senses. So the more I'm bombarded by the signage of these fast food chains, the more I feel my willpower being challenged. If I drive by, I'm ok. But I can feel myself almost debating as I get closer and closer and will power fades. It's a hard association to break. Anyhow, all that to say - I can relate to what you're experiencing DylanAngel. Out of site, out of mind sometimes....and unfortunately, it isn't out of site for me either :(

Day 5: Not feeling any better so I decided to go to the walk-in clinic. Turns out I have strep throat, which I was pretty sure it was since I've had it numerous times in my life. So, little appetite, and what appetite I do have is thrown off because it KILLS to swallow. So my check in is going to look pretty bleak today.

M1: a cup of bone broth

M2: two hard boiled eggs, 1 plum and a small handful of purple grapes

M3: fish and veggies (as much of it as I can muster).

I am not as full body ache-y as I was yesterday, but I have had a constant headache and when I stand up it is piercing for about a minute...so much so that I feel dizzy and have to take a second to orient myself before I go where I originally got off the couch to go. I have been trying to rest, but my sleep gets thrown off whenever I nap. The last 3 nights I've woken up at 4:30am and had trouble going back to sleep solidly. It's hard to say what symptoms are related to Whole30 and what are related to the strep throat...or if doing the Whole30 is why I got strep for the first time in years now. I have also had a few new zits in the last 2 days...toxins working their way out? Hopefully tomorrow I'll have more positives to report.

• Administrators

There is a McDonald's on the way in to my neighbourhood. No matter what direction you come in off the hwy, there it is! Before I moved here 3 1/2 years ago, we almost never had fast food - it wasn't around us or in view with any of our routes to and from work. It was that rare exception like if you were driving 5+ hours to visit family and needed to stop along the hwy. I think I've had more McD in the time since living here than I have ever because my landscape changed dramatically from where I was living before, and it includes a McDonald's. It's partly convenience, but also I think there is some childhood link to it. I remember growing up that the McD in my hometown had the play area, games, it was a 'treat' to go, and they gave you toys.

Now, I know that's not what I'm seeking as an adult, but I think it is a comfort food for me...a temporary relief. I think when we face a lot of unknowns, stressors, or we make changes, there is a strong 'force' that tries to sway us back to what's comfortable, familiar...or the body is seeking something that it has learned it can get quickly and overloads the senses. So the more I'm bombarded by the signage of these fast food chains, the more I feel my willpower being challenged. If I drive by, I'm ok. But I can feel myself almost debating as I get closer and closer and will power fades. It's a hard association to break. Anyhow, all that to say - I can relate to what you're experiencing DylanAngel. Out of site, out of mind sometimes....and unfortunately, it isn't out of site for me either :(

I have a thought about McD in particular and it's similar to yours.  For me, in the depths of black depression, life hating, unhealthy, anxiety-ridden, financial toilet, irresponsible, sad and dysfunctional life that I was living over a decade ago, I would go to McDonald's.  I would order embarrassing amounts of food and I remember it feeling like a drug when I started eating it. All my tension and stress and sadness and grief and self hatred would go away and I would feel.....free.  

All the fat and sugar and sugar and fat that was in the "food" (and the volume of food) served as a temporary drug that took away the terror I felt at having to figure out and live my life...a life I hated.  Obviously as soon as the "drug" wore off I was in an even worse state but for those few hours (minutes?) I felt better. 

I guess what I'm getting at is that I had a very strong association to McD as "relief" and it took a long time for me not to see those golden arches as a salve to my soul....even when I knew I wouldn't eat there....the belief that their food would ease whatever burden I was feeling was strong.

• Administrators

M1: a cup of bone broth

M2: two hard boiled eggs, 1 plum and a small handful of purple grapes

M3: fish and veggies (as much of it as I can muster).

I am not as full body ache-y as I was yesterday, but I have had a constant headache and when I stand up it is piercing for about a minute...so much so that I feel dizzy and have to take a second to orient myself before I go where I originally got off the couch to go. I have been trying to rest, but my sleep gets thrown off whenever I nap. The last 3 nights I've woken up at 4:30am and had trouble going back to sleep solidly. It's hard to say what symptoms are related to Whole30 and what are related to the strep throat...or if doing the Whole30 is why I got strep for the first time in years now. I have also had a few new zits in the last 2 days...toxins working their way out? Hopefully tomorrow I'll have more positives to report.

PS.  If you are sick, chug that bone broth all day and night.  I'd suggest at least 3-4 big mugs of it, better yet pour it into a large mason jar and sip out of that, refill as needed.  The more of that you can get in you the better.

Day 5: Not feeling any better so I decided to go to the walk-in clinic. Turns out I have strep throat, which I was pretty sure it was since I've had it numerous times in my life. So, little appetite, and what appetite I do have is thrown off because it KILLS to swallow. So my check in is going to look pretty bleak today.

Ugh, strep is the worse.  Feel better soon greenhm!!

I started feeling exactly that way end of yesterday. I came home from work and had to force myself to eat when I just wanted to sleep. The timeline say that this usually happens around Day 6 so I think we're close enough to that to make it a normal part of the process?

It's snowing and gray here so that always contributes to that kind of feeling anyway for me.

Hang in there!

Thanks for the encouragement DylanAngel! I've also been feeling like I want to sleep more too. I'm in Minneapolis so it's snowy and gray here too. Not helping, weather!! My poor boyfriend is getting the brunt of my crankiness. Maybe I'm not eating enough? I'm trying really hard to stick to meal template and eating only three times a day but my work schedule is crazy sometimes and I rarely get time to myself. I have to snack or I won't have a chance to eat at all! Glad to read your bloating has gone away, mine too! Yay for non-scale victories!

if you need any support on the cooking front let me know. I love to cook and my boyfriend used to be chef so we spend a lot of time in the kitchen. We always cook everything from scratch so have plenty of experience between us and so far we have cooked delicious, simple meals for me (he's not doing W30 but is supporting me by eating the same when we are together). Feel free to PM me if you would like to.

Day 4 for me and I'm a mess today.  I have already cried once and feel like I could go again.  Why? I don't know.... *shrugs*  Last night was hard, I was cranky, really wanted to go out for dinner, didn't get my red sauce made for my meatballs either. I ended up making a couple of sausages, salad, and sweet potato. I was ready to go to bed at 8:30 but a friend called me and we talked for about an hour and she really cheered me up.

I don't know if I'm trying to hard or what but I work so hard on my meals and when I eat them, I'm so disappointed and not satisfied.  I know last night was my fault since I didn't try and cook but I feel like I will fail if I don't get some good meals in me.  Is this the Sugar Dragon? I think I am going to try to revamp a couple of my recipes that I love instead of using the Well Fed book.  Not knocking the book at all, I love it but I think I need more comfort in knowing I will love the recipe to help me succeed.  Anyone else feeling this?  Maybe since I really don't cook and don't know how to season stuff properly, I am lagging?

Also, I was ready for bed at 8:30 last night but a dear friend called me and really tried to cheer me up and help believe in me when I didn't.  So here's to another day!

M1: eggs, breakfast sausage, sweet potato

M2: tuna salad and veggies

M3: I'm making the meat balls and sauce tonight!

I hope everyone has a great day today!!

Archived