Are Prunes Acceptable and Question about Larabars?

lis1082

This may be a bit personal, but just having completed Day 5, I am noticing a tough time using the bathroom.  I have been taking a Fiber Supplement for years and just quit it this week, because of the start of the program, cause I do not believe it is compliant.  So what do most people use as a supplement to Fiber with this program?  I was thinking prunes may be a good alternative to actually taking a supplement and saw plum listed on compliant fruit list, but didn't see prunes. 

Also, I have a hectic schedule so I need to have a Larabar with me just in case!  As I was in the store the other day, looking at the Larabars, I wonder if there is a Larabar that is more or less compliant?  I eneded up picking 2 of the "UBER" Larabar, because they had a significant less about of Carbs and Sugars.  I believe there is no fruit added to these and they are mainly nut bars. Is there a Larabar more recommended than another?  I will be going back to the store tomorrow to make sure I am prepared for the upcoming week and want to know what to pick up!!! 

Started the whole30 because I having been having stomach issues and had an endoscopy last week, I am still waiting on results, but figured elimiating any "food triggers" would be a productive start.  I am also now 5 days off diet coke!!!  That is a struggle for me, but I'm feeling much better!!!  I am excited to be starting Day 6 tomorrow morning and along with a brand new workout program, I am ready to be healthy, fit and lose some much needed inches.  :)

Thanks in advance,

Elissa  :wub:

Have you tried a variety of vegetables...they're great for fiber.  Raw celery sticks and cooked vegetables would be better than Larabars.  Have you ever owned a juicer with a plunger to force the fruits and vegetables down with?  Well, think of raw celery sticks like a plunger.   Eat three meals aday and alot of plunger sticks....much easier on the stomach.  Just keep plunging away and you won't need to worry about all of the carbs and sugars in Larabars.  :rolleyes: 

418GZg8AaOL.jpg

• Moderators

You can eat prunes when they have no added off-plan ingredients like sulphites. That said, you do not need added fiber when you are eating protein, veggies, and fats at all your meals as the Whole30 prescribes. One thing you may need to help with constipation is to increase the amount of water you are drinking. We recommend 1/2 ounce of water per pound of body weight per day and it is okay to drink more.

The changes of beginning to eat Whole30-style disrupts normal bowel movements for some people. However, this style of eating is ultimately exactly what your digestive system needs and eventually things will work themselves out. :) You might find that taking a magnesium supplement like Natural Calm at night will help ease constipation. One of the side effects of taking "too much" magnesium is diarrhea, so taking a dose will tend to get things going. Actually, our bodies adjust to taking magnesium pretty quickly, so diarrhea tends to stop being a symptom after an adjustment period. 

The part of the larabar label that you must read is the ingredient list. The other information about carbs and sugars is not relevant because the Whole30 does not specify a carb or sugar count. Some larabars include off-plan ingredients. Some do not. I'm never going to tell you one that is compliant because I think you should never eat a larabar. I don't disagree that you need to carry food with you if you have a hectic schedule, but you can carry a can of tuna packed in olive oil and a can opener for emergency protein. You can even carry a container of dried prunes. You can carry an orange and an apple. Back when I traveled, I kept a gallon ziploc bag filled with almonds in my car. 

I am lucky because all the compliant Larabars have cashews and I'm allergic!!!!  I do keep an RX Bar in my car in case I am gone hours longer than expected (it happens bc I am a Realtor).  However, I pack a big cooler of food if I'm going to be gone all day..........whatever leftover meat we had the night before cut up in a container, suger snap peas, cut up raw veggies, almonds, hard boiled eggs, apple, orange, sweet potato (yummy the next day even cold).  I am still tweaking how much food I need when I leave the house after breakfast and don't return home after WO 2, but I am making a sincere effort at packing real food.  I know canned tuna and canned chicken are not ideal, but they make them in "to go" cups now do don't need a can opener.  I made this new thing where I mixed the canned chicken, avocado, cut up cucumber, tomato, radish, pepper or whatever veggie is sitting around, handful of raisins and voila.........a mini meal I can pull over and eat in 5 minutes on the go. I found organic prunes and raisins with no sugar added..........but I try to eat with restraint. Right now I'm working on less fruit and almonds and more veggies, proteins and fats........

I ended up picking 2 of the "UBER" Larabar, because they had a significant less about of Carbs and Sugars.

Tom already explained that you need to read the ingredients list but to be absolutely clear to everyone: the UBER larabar are not compliant. All UBER varieties have added sweeteners like brown rice syrup, molasses and honey. Some also have peanuts. These are never permitted on the whole30.

Sweet potatoes and a magnesium supplements are my go-tos for constipation. Water is also important as Tom already pointed out. I take 400mg of magnesium nightly (look for magnesium citrate--it's your best bet for getting something easily absorbed AND not expensive. Never EVER buy magnesium oxide as your body can only absorb about 4% of magnesium. Big waste of money.) and if I'm really having trouble, I'll take an additional 200-400mg in the morning or with lunch. You may need to start at a lower dose and work your way up with the magnesium to avoid diarrhea.

Topical magnesium oil is great, as the skin absorbs magnesium so readily. You can get it at many health food stores, or make your own by mixing equal parts of magnesium flakes and filtered water until the flakes dissolve. Keep it in a spray bottle for easy application- just don't apply it after shaving, and be aware that there can be some pretty intense "tingling" for a minute or two, which lessens over a week or two of regular application. You can get magnesium flakes at a health food store or Amazon.

Topical magnesium oil is great, as the skin absorbs magnesium so readily. You can get it at many health food stores, or make your own by mixing equal parts of magnesium flakes and filtered water until the flakes dissolve. Keep it in a spray bottle for easy application- just don't apply it after shaving, and be aware that there can be some pretty intense "tingling" for a minute or two, which lessens over a week or two of regular application. You can get magnesium flakes at a health food store or Amazon.

An epsom salt bath is also a great way to get transdermal magnesium. :)

Archived