Meats (Breakfast)

Hannah Saro

I have read a lot on here that many are eating sausage with their breakfast...all I've found that is on the road to compliant (but I know it isn't) is Applegate...it has that "contains less than 2% of sugar etc). I know those aren't compliant.

Mt question is...what does everyone use for breakfast protein as a meat? I can't seem to find any type of sausage that is compliant. Any recommendations?

• Administrators

Hi Hannah,

This topic has been discussed at length. The best way to search our forum is to Google "Whole30 + question". In your case here are some threads discussing breakfast sausage:

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/11537-whole30-breakfast-sausage/

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/14641-breakfast-sausage/

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/4423-homemade-breakfast-sausage/

Most everything you can imagine has been asked, answered and discussed on the forum, just takes a little Googling to find it. :)

• Moderators

When you say "contains less than 2 percent sugar" I am afraid you are not reading the ingredient list - the only part that counts towards evaluating whether sausage is Whole30-compliant. The macro-nutrient breakdown is irrelevant. Some products can list 0 percent sugar, while sugar is actually an ingredient. And likewise, something can list 10 percent sugar when there is no added sugar because there may be apples or peaches included (high sugar foods).  

When you say "contains less than 2 percent sugar" I am afraid you are not reading the ingredient list - the only part that counts towards evaluating whether sausage is Whole30-compliant. The macro-nutrient breakdown is irrelevant. Some products can list 0 percent sugar, while sugar is actually an ingredient. And likewise, something can list 10 percent sugar when there is no added sugar because there may be apples or peaches included (high sugar foods).  

Thanks. I think that I am starting to understand. SO for example, this for chicken apple sausage, would not be compliant because of the 3g of sugar (assuming from the dried apples), even though sugar is not a direct ingredient? Am I getting that correct?

http://www.applegate.com/products/organic-chicken-apple-sausage

Thanks. I think that I am starting to understand. SO for example, this for chicken apple sausage, would not be compliant because of the 3g of sugar (assuming from the dried apples), even though sugar is not a direct ingredient? Am I getting that correct?

http://www.applegate.com/products/organic-chicken-apple-sausage

No, you have it backwards.  Do not use the Nutritional Information as a reference. Use the *ingredients list* only, to determine whether something is compliant.  Looking at this ingredients list of this product, it is compliant.  Double-check the label in the store, as ingredients can change.

• Administrators

No, you need to read the ingredients list.  If sugar is ADDED to the product in any of its regular or sneaky forms, the product is out.

The nutrition facts label indicates if the product HAS sugar but does not differentiate between that which is naturally occurring (which is fine) or that which is added.  You need to read the actual ingredients label.

No, you have it backwards.  Do not use the Nutritional Information as a reference. Use the *ingredients list* only, to determine whether something is compliant.  Looking at this ingredients list of this product, it is compliant.  Double-check the label in the store, as ingredients can change.

Okay. Thanks. So in that product, it is compliant because in the INGREDIENTS list, there is no sugar.

But this product, would NOT be compliant because it has sugar listed.

http://www.applegate.com/products/natural-chicken-and-sage-breakfast-sausage--2

Do I have it right now? Thanks for the help =)

Hi Hannah, I used the sage apple recipe on this page: 

http://grassfedmidland.com/2014/01/28/paleo-breakfast-sausage-sage-apple-spicy-maple/ 

and it came out really good! I might try the spicy maple without the 1 tbs. of maple syrup too, that looks good! I like making my own patties cause I like to eat them with eggs as well so I don't make them super big.

And Aidell's Chicken Apple Sausage is compliant as well, I don't see a lot of Applegate products in my grocery store but I'm glad to know of that compliant sausage, looks good!

I've been eating a lot of prosciutto for breakfast.  Recently I made some homemadecomliant beef jerky that I ate at breakfast.  I'm in search of sugar free bacon to change things up a bit.  Hoping to head to Whole Foods this weekend to see if they have any Pederson's sugar free bacon.  Occasionally I can find some locally processed chicken sausage that is compliant.  I usually take it out of the casing and make it into patties because I prefer it that way.  I can also add some seasoning when I cook it that way.  I've also been known to use ground chicken at breakfast (formed into a burger/patty) seasoned up a little to increase flavor.

• 3 weeks later...

This might be strange- but as I was looking at ingredients and things to buy for my husband (who is not doing a whole30), it looked as though Bob Evans original sausage roll is compliant. Would be easy to make into sausage patties for the morning rush! Please correct me if I'm wrong. I didn't eat any of it but I wanted to double check! :)

This might be strange- but as I was looking at ingredients and things to buy for my husband (who is not doing a whole30), it looked as though Bob Evans original sausage roll is compliant. Would be easy to make into sausage patties for the morning rush! Please correct me if I'm wrong. I didn't eat any of it but I wanted to double check! :)

We'd need to see a list of ingredients.

I'm pretty sure she was looking at the ingredient list.  They do that very frequently.  

The ingredient list from the compliant item she linked to:

Ingredients:

Organic Chicken, Organic Dried Apples, Sodium Lactate (From Beets). Contains Less Than 2% Of The Following: Sea Salt, Organic Apple Juice Concentrate, Organic Spices, Organic Garlic.

The ingredient list of the non-compliant item she linked to:

Ingredients:

Chicken, Water. Contains Less Than 2% Of The Following: Sugar, Salt, Spices, Sage.

Archived