Portion control & weight gain?

gunhild.k

I'm on day 25 on my first whole30 and it's going really well - I haven't had any issues keeping to the program other than that I get very snack-ish in the afternoon. For the most part I've resisted or I've stuck to approved alternatives, mostly cashews & coconut flakes. I've kept fruit to an absolute minimum throughout.

I'm fairly active, I typically work out intensely 5 days a week, always in the morning and I have the habit of eating only eggs before and then sweet potato/butternut squash and chicken/canned tuna after.

I have not stepped on the scale but I absolutely feel like I've gained - not lost - weight since I started. My derrière / thighs feel bigger (clothes are tighter). The only real culprit I can detect is portion size. I tend to lean toward the larger end of the scale because quite frankly I'm hungry!!! I'm 5'7 and was 130lb when I started. I used to eat according to the 17 day diet book, the biggest change for me is eating more fat and no dairy/legumes & high glucose veggies like sweet potato & pumpkin (I was never big on grains).

I'm also trying to overcome amenorrhea, my cycles have been completely haywire since my early 20s (in 36).

So what gives? Do I need to size down my protein serving to one palm rather than two? Am I not allowed cashews anymore (my one treat...) Do I need to do whole60 instead of 30? Help!!

Ok, first off, what are your goals with taking on a Whole30?  I noticed that your starting weight is in a normal range for your height, per BMI charts.

Can you post 2-3 days worth of your typical food log, including portion sizes, both for meals and pre/post WO fuel? Water consumption and nightly hours of sleep too. How's your current stress level? With this information, we can give you more specific feedback.

The fact that you're snacking in the afternoon leads me to think you're not eating enough at your earlier meals. Further, the recommended snack is a mini-meal of protein, veg and fat.  Nuts are a fat source on a Whole30, and might be causing you to bloat. Fruit is recommended to have with or immediately after your main meals only.

Ok, I'll log as of meal 1 tomorrow. Should I keep it in this thread?

That's fine.  If you wanted feedback sooner, you could post the past 2-3 days from memory.

In the meantime, you may want to drop the nuts and be sure you're having starchy vegetables daily.

OK, ill give it a go.

I start every morning with a squeezed lemon in warm water. I typically get 7-8 hours of sleep. My only stress factor is my irregular period and the fact that this means I haven't been able to get child no 3 which we have been trying for for 3 years.

Tuesday:

Pre-workout:

4egg scramble with splash of coconut milk

weights & crossfit conditioning workout, 1 hour (heavy weights and lots of jumping)

Post workout: little more than palm sized serving of steamed chicken & roasted butternut squash

Meal 2: chicken&shrimp thai curry, amounting to prob about 300g of chicken & shrimp, 100ml coconut milk. Also contained butternut squash, carrots and regular potato. 

Meal 3: large green leaf salad with avocado-mayo dressing (from the book It starts with Food), tomatos, 170g khalua pig (pulled pork)

Yesterday:

Meal 1: 3 eggs over easy, sweet potato hash (1 potato) w/ a handful of spinach, maybe 1 tbs coconut oil

This is not normal, but I snacked all morning on cashews (a lot of cashews) I blame having my period. I normally NEVER snack between meal 1 & 2 (It was literally the first time in the whole30 program)

Meal 2: Leftover chicken&shrimp thai curry

I snowshoed (steep hill) for about 1.5hrs in the afternoon

snack after workout while preparing dinner for the kids: 1 slice of parma and 1/3 banana

Meal 3: Apple Fennel Cinnamon Breakfast Hash. That amounted to about 200-250g of ground beef, half a fennel, half an apple, onion, coconut oil, a table spoon of homemade mayo

I feel that yesterday was representative in terms of meal size, but that cashew frenzy was absolutely not normal for me.

Today: 

Pre-workout: 3 egg omelette, green tea. 

Workout: upper body weights, ran 14k

post-workout: half sweet potato (baked) & 1 regular sized can of tuna in water

Meal 2: Leftovers from meal 3 yesterday, about same amount.

Late afternoon mini-snack: 1 turkey-bacon-apple patty, maybe a half-palm worth of protein

Meal 3 will be pork tenderloin with a creamy mushroom sauce, sweat potato, avocado.  haven't had it yet, and I am very hungry now. It'll be another hour before dinner. 

Another typical afternoon I would have had maybe a heaping handful of shredded coconut for snack, or 3 slices of parma ham.

Should I restart the whole30 because of the snacking?

• Administrators

What is "parma ham"?

The funny thing about you snacking heavily on cashews at period time is that cashews are one of the carbiest nuts....and we know from many testimonials (including most of the female moderators here) that women need extra starches during the week leading up to and including their period.  Cashews would not be a good choice to get those starchies in but it's not really that surprising that you went for them.

During your leadup and period week make sure you are getting plenty of starchy veggies (a fist sized serving each day if not each meal).  Sweet potato, carrot, turnip, rutabaga, beets, regular potatoes etc.

Snacking is not cause for restart as long as you didn't go off plan, food wise.

Did you seriously do a weights workout and then run 14 kilometers and skip Meal 1?  No wonder you're hungry!!  Pre and post workout food is in addition to your regular meals on days that you workout.  It is not instead of.

My sense is that you are extremely active and not feeding yourself enough which is possibly contributing to amenorrhoea as well as your sense that you are gaining weight.  

Note on the pre and post WO, it's fuel. Per the meal planning template, pre WO is 15-75 minutes before your workout, and have 1/2 a meal or less worth of protein and fat. Post WO is 15-30 minutes after workout and meal sized amount of protein and some carb.

Parma is the italian raw ham, prosciutto

I have the pre-workout meal at about 6:30-7 am when my kids have breakfast then work out at 8 am and have the post-workout meal directly after. Then I have lunch at 12:30 to 1 pm. Dinner tends to be between 6 pm and 8 pm, veering towards the latter...

I try to eat starchy vegetables with every meal.

• Moderators

I think you are eating just about the right amount. Replacing snacks of nuts and fruit with a serving of protein and veggies is best. Sometimes people do "swell" a bit as they adjust to the Whole30 way of eating, but I expect you will be pleased with results longer term.

Today is my day 30 and I got on the scale. I gained 5 pounds. This is a problem for me and almost set off an anxiety attack when I saw it. I worked very hard to get to the point I was (130 lb and size 27 in jeans) and the thought of gaining the weight and the pant sizes back makes me panic. I realise this may be an issue in itself but I like myself a whole lot better at 130/size 27 than I did at 145 and size 29.

I think I've sabotaged my own whole30 by 1) skirting the no snacking rule that I set for myself 2) over-eating nuts/almods (and I suspect that's wreaking havoc on my digestive tract) and 3) overdoing the portion size. So, I'm giving this program the benefit of the doubt and rebooting my whole30, starting over TODAY, since I'm tired of my way of eating before, i.e. always hungry and counting calories.

My goals are:

1) NO SNACKING!!!! (cannot be emphasised enough, I have a mindless-snacking-problem that may need hypnosis to overcome...)

2) Limit almonds/cashews to a minimum - only as an ingredient in a meal, never as a stand-alone food

3) Curb serving size to the lower limit

I will not:

1) Keep nuts/almonds/shredded coconut on stock (my go-to snack items in the past 30 days

2) Bake anything whole30 compliant for my family that I will then end up eating too

I will: 

1) Try to drink a glass of water or an herbal tea when my snack craving gets crazy

2) If that doesn't help walk around the block or do a sun salutation

3) text a friend a HELP!!!

4) Use the two grand app to take a photo of each meal and workout for accountability.

Any thoughts/tips? Anyone interested in supporting me along the way...?

How are you getting on finding food supplies in Switzerland? I guess we are quite lucky with the lack of processed foods in Coop & Migros so it's easy to find a good range of seasonal fruit & veg. 

Good luck with your reboot & no snacking! if you need some local support let me know.

I make most things from scratch and I ordered coconut aminos from the UK. Forget about finding unsweetened fish sauce though... Meat and vegetable quality is great and there's plenty of farms selling directly! How about you Loulabelle? Where in Switzerland are you? I'm in Vaud, I have the feeling they are less progressive here than in the German region...

I'm near to Zurich. I make as much as possible from scratch even when not on a W30 which I really enjoy, cooking is a great antidote to sitting in front of a computer screen all day. I had to import the coconut aminos too; didn't bother looking at fish sauce as I figured there was no way to find a compliant version. I love that the farms sell directly, there is a wonderful farm nearby where we buy the majority of our meat then 500m down the road from there is an amazing veg farm.  Meat is expensive but the quality is fantastic. 

Today is my day 30 and I got on the scale. I gained 5 pounds. This is a problem for me and almost set off an anxiety attack when I saw it. I worked very hard to get to the point I was (130 lb and size 27 in jeans) and the thought of gaining the weight and the pant sizes back makes me panic. I realise this may be an issue in itself but I like myself a whole lot better at 130/size 27 than I did at 145 and size 29.

I think I've sabotaged my own whole30 by 1) skirting the no snacking rule that I set for myself 2) over-eating nuts/almods (and I suspect that's wreaking havoc on my digestive tract) and 3) overdoing the portion size. So, I'm giving this program the benefit of the doubt and rebooting my whole30, starting over TODAY, since I'm tired of my way of eating before, i.e. always hungry and counting calories.

My goals are:

1) NO SNACKING!!!! (cannot be emphasised enough, I have a mindless-snacking-problem that may need hypnosis to overcome...)

2) Limit almonds/cashews to a minimum - only as an ingredient in a meal, never as a stand-alone food

3) Curb serving size to the lower limit

I will not:

1) Keep nuts/almonds/shredded coconut on stock (my go-to snack items in the past 30 days

2) Bake anything whole30 compliant for my family that I will then end up eating too

I will: 

1) Try to drink a glass of water or an herbal tea when my snack craving gets crazy

2) If that doesn't help walk around the block or do a sun salutation

3) text a friend a HELP!!!

4) Use the two grand app to take a photo of each meal and workout for accountability.

Any thoughts/tips? Anyone interested in supporting me along the way...?

HI gunhild.k

Just felt I had to reply to you 

I gained about 6 -7 pounds on my last w30 and like you felt awful about it 

I actually think, for me, I needed to weigh myself about once a week to ensure I was keeping on track - I think on my last w30 because I didn't have scales I felt I could just eat 3 big meals a day - which I can't as I am petite with no thyroid function

I understand how you feel re being better at a lighter weight and dress size - it is very emotional

BUT

Like you I have given the w30 the benefit of the doubt and my reasons are:

• As I am getting older I simply can't do the extreme exercise regime any more - I used to run about 50 km a week - this w30 (day 10) I have yet to run - your regime sounds hard
  • I need to find a lifestyle that will be sustainable long term and I think w30 will do that for me 
  • I need to find a lifestyle that doesn't look or feel like punishment - restricting food ie calories / increasing exercise - I have to be nice to myself 

On this w30 I have made some changes:

• I have joined a new gym - I am doing some swimming / having a sauna-jacuzzi-steam / doing pilates & balance / doing some free weights and light exercise - I FEEL BETTER - I don't dread the next exercise session - I am being nice to myself
  • I too have a nut thing - I have just given them up for this w30 - my views are when the rules are in place it is better - saying you will only have a few !!! / a few more / a bag / a binge 
  • I too am not buying in things I know I have a weakness for
  • I am asking myself more - do I really need the food / will it make me feel like JUNK  

Portion size I think is just down to the individual - we need to be aware of what works - I know some of my portions last week were too big - I will modify

I think it is OK to have a conscious snack - to deprive yourself will make "falling of the cliff" easier - better to have a bullet proof coffee than a Kg of nuts

I learnt from the last w30 I need support - this is why I am so much more active in the forum this w30- I am happy to listen and help were I can because sometimes the people closest to us just don't understand

I do think having water or a herbal tea when faced with a food attack is a good idea

I think cooking whole 30 for the family is actually a good idea - but leftovers can be frozen - my last slow cooker meal has put 5 dinners in the freezer

I think I have approached this w30 less frantically and it is better 

I think in this crazy world we do have to be nicer to ourselves

You may find when you do less exercise you will be less hungry and more at peace with yourself - hunger can make you crazy

Not sure if this has helped - but do try to be kind to yourself 

I hope you are successful with a number 3 baby - 3 is a great number when you are at peace enough with yourself to enjoy it 

Zoe

So, I'm on day 22 today and have stuck to the no scale and no measurement rule, but I have a feeling I'm in for a similar result as gunhild.k and Zoe referenced they experienced on their first whole30 and I definitely don't want to gain weight...  I'm heartened by the commitment that you both are demonstrating by figuring out how to adapt the plan and it has encouraged me to re-think my approach to the next week.  I think I'm eating too many nuts as well, also think I need to be more careful about portion size.  The issue I have with portion size is that I'm not a very nice person when I'm hungry!!  The first week to ten days, I really tried to stick to the portion sizes and no snacks and I would get so hungry that I would eat bell peppers like apples and gobble shreds of chicken like a heathen.

Reading gunhild.k and Zoe's posts have definitely come at a good time for me!  I have been a little frustrated because I haven't yet felt the "magic" and actually have been having some pretty bad digestive issues since day 11-12(ish) that have been preventing me from exercising as much as I'd like. 

My only question is - do either of you have any concerns for how you'll get the recommended amount of fat?  I can't stomach olives or coconut... and I feel like there's only so many avocados you can take.

Crossing my fingers that getting rid of nuts will help the weight gain I feel and the tummy problems... Thank you both for your posts, they were helpful to me! B)

• Moderators

So, I'm on day 22 today and have stuck to the no scale and no measurement rule, but I have a feeling I'm in for a similar result as gunhild.k and Zoe referenced they experienced on their first whole30 and I definitely don't want to gain weight...  I'm heartened by the commitment that you both are demonstrating by figuring out how to adapt the plan and it has encouraged me to re-think my approach to the next week.  I think I'm eating too many nuts as well, also think I need to be more careful about portion size.  The issue I have with portion size is that I'm not a very nice person when I'm hungry!!  The first week to ten days, I really tried to stick to the portion sizes and no snacks and I would get so hungry that I would eat bell peppers like apples and gobble shreds of chicken like a heathen.

Reading gunhild.k and Zoe's posts have definitely come at a good time for me!  I have been a little frustrated because I haven't yet felt the "magic" and actually have been having some pretty bad digestive issues since day 11-12(ish) that have been preventing me from exercising as much as I'd like. 

My only question is - do either of you have any concerns for how you'll get the recommended amount of fat?  I can't stomach olives or coconut... and I feel like there's only so many avocados you can take.

Crossing my fingers that getting rid of nuts will help the weight gain I feel and the tummy problems... Thank you both for your posts, they were helpful to me! B)

If you're truly hungry, eat. Just make it a mini-meal of protein, fat, and veggies, not just fruit or nuts on their own -- so chicken and bell peppers was a good choice, you could have even added some fat to it. 

For fats, have you made mayo yet? It's good on so many things -- I like roasted hunks of sweet potato dipped in mayo, or you can mix it with some herbs and spices to use as a dressing or a dip for vegetables. Olive oil based dressings and sauces are good on salads and on cooked meats and veggies -- you can make a simple oil and vinegar dressing with herbs, or a pesto, or chimichurri. There are all kinds of Whole30 compliant sauces and dressings out there, start looking around and make whichever ones sound good.  You can also choose fattier cuts of meat, or opt for salmon over lower fat fish, or if you eat tuna or other canned fish, look for ones that are canned in olive oil. 

Charona

Some time ago I sorted my portion size by using a smaller plate / bowl than the rest of the family - if I am hungry I fill it - if I am not I don't - it has worked for me - it means I don't have an empty looking plate - which is emotionally better for me

Feel for you on the nuts - I have given them up for lent and it has been working fine - but I know I am still carrying excess weight - as clothes are still not fitting - I too thought cutting out all those mindless calories would make a difference and they probably will in the long term

Try some nice cold water next time you reach into the fridge for a "snack" / "mini-meal" - the water might stave of the "heathen" response

I did not get any magic or tigers blood last time - I am not particularly expecting it this time either - being stable will be good enough as I have dramatically cut down on my exercise regime

I use olive oil for most of my fat (cooking and drizzling) - but I am treating myself to some coconut oil this week - Have you tried a bullet proof coffee you normally cant taste the coconut 

Have a good day 

Zoe

Gunhild, I'm 50 this year.  Gosh, that makes me feel old to type!  But it's really not, I guess.  I go to the trampoline park with my almost adult sons, I go to shooting schools, I ride horses, I work out...so just saying, I'm not quite a rocking chair granny yet. ;)  I bring up my age to let you know that I've dealt with weight issues for about 30 YEARS now.  And I've learned a few things...maybe specific only to me, but I think not.

Scales LIE.  For all sorts of reasons.  Retaining fluid for some reason, monthly cycles, etc.  Even changing a workout routine can cause the scale to fluctuate...it's NOT a number to rely on. It's most definitely NOT a number that should have control of your emotions.

Whole30 is NOT about losing weight.  It's about becoming a healthier YOU (body AND mind).  And you know what?  130 doesn't say shit about how healthy YOU are (OR how happy you are).  In fact, 130 might actually be a very UNhealthy number for you if getting to that size meant eating too little, exercising too much, having an "all or nothing" mentality, etc. 

Perhaps the 135 means that you've gained some healthy muscle in the past 30 days.  Have you ever seen the photos of men and women who GAIN 10-15 lbs but actually get SMALLER?  :)  It's because a lb of muscle is ~1/3 smaller than a lb of fat....so losing fat while gaining muscle will actually make your weight go UP...but that's a very good thing.  Or perhaps it means that you were mildly dehydrated before W30 and now you're not.  Again, that would be a GOOD thing.

You've mentioned counting calories and always being hungry.  Trust me ... living your life that way is not pleasant and eventually, you will FAIL.  You'll fail because, as you age, your metabolism tends to slow down.  At some point, you can't restrict enough to keep weight off...and your body just adjusts to that "norm" of fewer and fewer calories, meaning you have to restrict more and more.

Whole30 is a reset for that type of thinking.  Eat 3 meals of whatever size is required to keep you satisfied until the next meal.  That does NOT mean restricting meal size!  It's the opposite.  So yes, try to cut out the snacks, but don't do both (as in, limit meal size and cut out snacks).  If you're that concerned about gaining weight, then keep some of your foods in the lower calorie range.  Fewer starchy vegetables, fewer fruits and nuts...but again, do NOT excessively limit your fat intake.  Fat=satiety=no snacking.

If you do that, pay attention to how you FEEL.  If you're sluggish and tired, you really might NEED those starchy vegetables and occasional fruit.  DO NOT base your feelings on the number on the scale. 

Hi Charona, 

Glad to see I'm not the only one! I also am very unpleasant when hungry and I have a history of plummeting into under-sugared territory at the flip of a coin. Hangry is just the beginning... I've been off nuts (also almond flour) for three days now and I already notice the difference (I too had unpleasant digestive issues). I still crave them big time but I think maybe my biggest issue is emotional eating. I'm using the TwoGrand app (photo log of meals) to keep track of my goals and I think it's working well. Incase you start using it (or are using it already) my username is gunhild. 

As far as fat goes I do make my own mayo and use it both in salad dressing or I dress it up with hot curry powder or adobe spice and use it as a dip. Also, sometimes just the cooking fat is enough, for example for my morning omelettes. Also, I'm a big fan of coconut milk, but I'm trying to not go crazy on that one...

You've mentioned counting calories and always being hungry.  Trust me ... living your life that way is not pleasant and eventually, you will FAIL.  You'll fail because, as you age, your metabolism tends to slow down.  At some point, you can't restrict enough to keep weight off...and your body just adjusts to that "norm" of fewer and fewer calories, meaning you have to restrict more and more.

Whole30 is a reset for that type of thinking.  Eat 3 meals of whatever size is required to keep you satisfied until the next meal.  That does NOT mean restricting meal size!  It's the opposite.  So yes, try to cut out the snacks, but don't do both (as in, limit meal size and cut out snacks).  If you're that concerned about gaining weight, then keep some of your foods in the lower calorie range.  Fewer starchy vegetables, fewer fruits and nuts...but again, do NOT excessively limit your fat intake.  Fat=satiety=no snacking.

If you do that, pay attention to how you FEEL.  If you're sluggish and tired, you really might NEED those starchy vegetables and occasional fruit.  DO NOT base your feelings on the number on the scale. 

Hi cinagain, 

What you're saying above is why I'm sticking to the program and not reverting to the 17 day diet... I've been reading a lot in the past month about the female cycle and how it's linked to nutrition and I'm doing my best to eat according to those recommendations (including starchy veggies every single day).

Incidentally, I think we can discard the idea that my weight gain is caused by increased muscle mass. My kids spent most of the beginning of this year being home sick (one, then the other, then both...) plus the roads have been snowy and icy (can't run on ice), so I've worked out less than I usually do. Bloating could always be a thing, but not 5 pounds worth. 

Anyway, you have a point about not focusing on a number and I'm doing my best. My one main goal for the next 30 days (27 by now) is to break my cycle of emotional snacking and then I guess I'll see where I'm at...

Dieting is restriction and over-restriction leads to hunger.  Hunger leads to thrill eating or another food bender.

When someone uses any program such as the "reverting to the 17 day diet"....it often turns into periodic dieting.  Periodic dieting is the recipe for weight gain.

Periodic dieting is off and on, hit and miss, binge and restrict, over-restrict and thrill eating.  It is a life of extremes.

The most painful part of periodic dieting is that over-restriction will give you weight loss...maybe even 15 lbs in a month's time.   Fall off the wagon and the rebound weight gain is automatic and it's in the form of fat.   

When we restrict or over-restrict, we lose lean muscle mass.   Example:  On an extreme diet or fast, you may lose 10 lbs in two weeks.   9.5 of that will be lean muscle mass and maybe only .5 of one pound of true fat loss.   When we do the Fat Math, dieting leads to weight gain.

Rebound weight gain after you fall off of the extreme diet will be fat.   It's not lean muscle mass you're putting back on.    Do this about a million times over the course of a lifetime and it creates a real hot mess.   Every time an individual does another periodic diet they're putting themselves that much further in the hole and the body's lean muscle mass pays the ultimate price.

Many wonder why the belly becomes the consistency of pizza dough after years of this practice.   Well, it's periodic dieting that's causing rebound weight gain in the form of fat.   Some will turn to beast mode at the gym to try and over-compensate for periodic dieting.     They believe they're kicking butt when actually more periodic dieting is going to kick their butt in the end.

An individual cannot out-run periodic dieting.   Even an accomplished runner will not be able to out-run periodic dieting or thrill eating inbetween runs.   It all catches up.   The alcohol, sugar gels, burgers, fries, pizza and all of the rest are going to kick them in the hiney at some point.   We can't out-run or beast mode our way out of a perpetual hole.

Periodic dieting is a huge sinkhole.   Making plans for food explosions after 30 days of the best eating in our life is digging another hole.    If we do what we've always done we'll get what we've always gotten.   There comes a time when we have to stand our ground against periodic dieting and say NO MORE.   I refuse to do this to myself anymore.   

A Whole 30 food reset and reintroduction phase sharpens all of the senses up.   We can be sure about what we're eating and the whys.    We can kick periodic dieting to the curb for good.

tumblr_nj1x74e6lK1rt2ky6o1_500.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I am new to Whole 30 and your thread is really interesting to me. Today was my first day and I did have one snack at 4pm.  I think this is habitual and I am not really hungry.  I also have a problem with mindlessly snacking on nuts with fruit.  I am going to commit tomorrow to eliminating nuts, unless it is a small amount in a recipe, from my diet.  I think they are a huge trigger for me and very easy to grab when I a hungry. I like your ideas of what to do when wanting a snack and I think I might implement them.

Thanks,

Lindsay

Archived