Carb Flu remedies?

Hi everyone! I'm new to Whole30... Just started 3 days ago. So, as many of you probably experienced, day 2 and 3 have been really ugly for me with this odd carb flu thing. I knew it existed but didn't know it started day 2 until after I woke up yesterday feeling like I was on an all night bender. Anyway, here we are at day 3, I still feel like complete garbage. Blazing headache, can't eat anything, basically want to stay in bed until this is over. Does anyone have any tricks, remedies, tips for getting through this part? I just have been taking Advil and drinking lots of water but I feel like I need more. Help???

• Administrators

Sorry you aren't feeling well, do know that it does pass. You can add starchy veggies like sweet potato to at least one meal per day, more if you need it. Lots of water like you're doing and take it easy on yourself. Get lots of sleep and rest and you might consider scaling workouts back to a gentle walk if exercise is something you do.

You'll get through it! :)

Thanks everyone! A few things I need to fix quickly... I need to eat a LOT more, need to get extra potassium and mag (I take magnesium every night) so I had one frozen banana in the freezer (was a smoothie girl before Whole30) so I ate it... Frozen... And my head feels better. But here I am at 12:30pm having only eaten a banana today. So I need to eat more (which will be easier when I don't feel so sick). I've just put together a heaping lunch... Complete with a yam (yuck) which I will stuff down and I'll like it (no I won't but I will). With grass fed ground beef with tomato paste (try it) and side of guac. Thanks and fingers crossed!!!!

• Moderators

Complete with a yam (yuck) which I will stuff down and I'll like it (no I won't but I will). 

Look for white or Japanese sweet potatoes if you don't like the typical ones (here's an article that shows the most common varieties you might find). Other starchy vegetables include any of the winter squash varieties (like spaghetti, acorn, butternut, or kabocha squash), pumpkin, green plantain, root vegetables like turnip, rutabaga, beets, and carrots, and of course regular white potatoes. 

Also, you might prefer your sweet potatoes cut into chunks and roasted, rather than baked -- or even grated and cooked like hash browns.

• Administrators

Look for white or Japanese sweet potatoes if you don't like the typical ones (here's an article that shows the most common varieties you might find). Other starchy vegetables include any of the winter squash varieties (like spaghetti, acorn, butternut, or kabocha squash), pumpkin, green plantain, root vegetables like turnip, rutabaga, beets, and carrots, and of course regular white potatoes. 

Also, you might prefer your sweet potatoes cut into chunks and roasted, rather than baked -- or even grated and cooked like hash browns.

I used to love the standard orange sweet potato.  And then I finally found the Japanese ones, they are SO far superior to the orange ones in my opinion.  Now the puppy gets the orange ones and mummy gets the white ones, LOL!

Ok then!! Japanese potatoes on the list! I don't like sweet veggies (sweet potatoes, cooked carrots) but know the potatoes will help me feel less sick so I will experiment. They ended up not being so bad with the ground meat and guac... Husband liked it too! And I just kept stuffing it in my mouth. Wasn't hugry for even one spoonful of it but here I am at 3:30 pm and dare I say, I'm feeling better?!?!

OK so I am happy to report that Day 4 and I feel 100% better!  That was a sucky 2 days!  I made sure today to have a nice big breakfast within an hour of waking, so I'm feeling good!  THANK YOU for all the advice!  

Just as an aside - one way to make mashed sweet potatos less sweet - is to cook and mash celery root along with it.  Celery root kind of tastes like celery - milder - so when partnered up with sweet potatoes it makes a nice combination. I too wasn't fond of sweet potato in the beginning.  But now I favour them over regular potatoes....

Archived