Sad. Face.

EmilyK

So, today was dairy day.  I had an unimpressive latte this morning but suffered no ill effects.

I had some homemade tzatziki sauce with my gyro meatballs for lunch and OMG THERE WAS THE DELICIOUS TASTE SENSATION.

Then, within 20 minutes, my sinuses filled up and I started coughing like a smoker.  I didn't cough like this even when I got a chest cold while on the whole30.

After I reintro a couple of other things, I'm going to drill down a little more specifically on dairy and try to find my magic place, but obviously I have some legit problems with it.

Sad.  Face.

It's the only thing I never stopped missing.  Truthfully, I can handle congestion for the occasional treat.  But I was hoping that it wouldn't be the culprit for some (or a lot) of my general yuckiness.

• Administrators

Me too. :( I miss sour cream something fierce....even after nearly 5 years dairy free.  The other weekend the diner that we go to on Sundays for breakfast accidentally put cheese on my omelette and I chose to just go ahead and eat it...because sometimes people like cheese, dammit!  I coughed like I had bronchitis for 4 hours.  Never mind the major eczema flare up I got later that day.

Right there with you sister! I had a massive dairy hangover on day #2 of re-intro. No bueno. Interestingly, it was milk that really hurt my tummy. A little bit of cream the day after (in my coffee) seemed fine otherwise.

I'm still having my froyo after dinner because I want to.  LOL.  But the milk in my latte didn't bug me, I just didn't really care for it (and seemed like a waste of $5, truthfully).

I almost wish it was the milk, because if my body didn't like the whey or lactose instead of the casein, I could at least still have yogurt and cheese.  It...doesn't seem like that's the case. 

So, so sad.

I think you're right to test different kinds of dairy. Your body is unique so it may be neutral on some forms, super aggravated with another. At least that's what my Dairy Fairy tells me. It's part of the reason my re-intro is going s-l-o-w. I'm trying milk vs cream vs ice cream vs yogurt vs cheese. Pleeeeease not the cheese!!! :)

I wonder what it was about the tzatziki that set you off? Milk was ok but greek yogurt/sour cream no?

That's what I'm thinking.  I made it with full fat greek yogurt, garlic, lemon, cucumber, dill, salt & pepper.  Had to be the yogurt, which is heavy in casein while milk is more balanced in the kinds of proteins. 

I will definitely second the motion to try dairy individually.  My reactions really vary butter being the mildest reaction to, yogurt and milk which is pretty severe intestinal distress, to cheese - which leaves me with a pretty severe AI flare up and in pain for weeks.

So I suspect I have a lactose and casein intolerance..... :(

I mourned both cheese and ice cream..... I found a ice cream replacement in coconut ice cream - but alas there is no replacement for cheese..... sigh.

Bummer ladies. Let's have a moment of silence for all the dairy in our past. Dairy, just because we're moving forward without you, doesn't mean you weren't genuinely appreciated and loved. We're just not good for each other.

Still holding out hope for a few options. Fingers crossed for you too Emily!

Me too. :( I miss sour cream something fierce....even after nearly 5 years dairy free.  The other weekend the diner that we go to on Sundays for breakfast accidentally put cheese on my omelette and I chose to just go ahead and eat it...because sometimes people like cheese, dammit!  I coughed like I had bronchitis for 4 hours.  Never mind the major eczema flare up I got later that day.

That is so funny that you mention 4 hours, Shanny.  My cough and congestion has eased off some now, and it's been about 4 hours since lunch.

Still.  Stupid dairy.  :(

I'm on day23 and Dairy is the only thing I miss, and the only thing I believe will cause me problems if I reintroduce it. I'm fine now with the black coffee, but the cheese..... and the thick cream.... & the yoghurt..... that stuff is just so damned good  :( 

Yup. Stupid dairy.

So!  By the end of the afternoon my coughing had calmed down but my joints were on fire.  I skipped cheese at dinner but we did go out for ice cream afterward and it was divine...until about five minutes after i finished, I started coughing again.

Sad.  Sad sad sad.

I realize this may not make you feel any better (and I am sorry for your loss!), but personally I think you are lucky to have such an obvious and quick reaction. I reintroduced multiple foods that *seemed* to be just fine in the short term. Eventually some of them crept back into my regular diet, and it was several months down the road before I noticed things like "oh, I guess my face hasn't been clear and my stomach has been puffy since I started having lattes every Saturday," and "those mild annoying headaches that completely disappeared are now back since I've been drinking 1...2......ok, 3 diet cokes per week." Feeling crummy immediately would have been preferable to feeling increasing crummy over a period of weeks/months...

Nooo, not the froyo. I'm sorry. :( Is it any kind of solace knowing that your dairy distress has united us all in sympathy? And I agree with JJB, it's easier dealing with clear-cut black reactions vs. ambiguous shades of grey.

That is sad. You could try goat's milk yogurt another day to see if that gives the same reaction. Some people are OK with goat's milk products.

I'm hoping dairy will be OK for me also mainly for the sake of cheese and yogurt, but will have to wait and see.

Yes - I just want to get on the point from JJB.

Some reactions don't happen within 24 - 48 hours. Sometimes it takes a month or 2.  Seriously.

Foods I eat now - specifically sugars or gluten will affect my cycle 2 months down the road.  I used to suffer from some terrible menstrual migraines. Now they are toned down significantly - I still get the symptoms - sensitive to light, sensitive hearing, ears ringing but without the debilitating pain and nausea that accompany it.  So in other words - a lot more tolerable.  Now the moment I include sugar or grains, I get very little immediate feed back.  There is some mild bloating that accompany grains - but nothing extreme or severe (non-gluten grains actually give me much more immediate feedback) but 2 months later I am stuck in bed for 3 days with a super intense migraine.  So because there is very minimal feedback I have to remind myself often why sugar and grains are seriously not "worth it". 

I definitely do not feel tip top today, either, despite the immediate reactions fading before bed last night.  I had a devil of a time falling asleep and woke up several times throughout the night.  I woke up feeling stiff and sore like I used to, and I've felt brain foggy and yawny today again.  I'm not used to that anymore!  And I certainly do not like it. 

I do still want to know how things like rice, corn, and soybeans affect me, but I am in no real hurry to reintro anything based on how yesterday went--I've felt so awesome, and now I don't.  Not really something I'm looking forward to going through again immediately.

... Sometimes it takes a month or 2.  Seriously....2 months later I am stuck in bed for 3 days with a super intense migraine. 

Okay, so how exactly did you figure this out?  Because that must have taken some really careful tracking.  I believe you -- my cousin got pregnant with her second son after she eliminated wheat completely and it normalized her cycle.  But -- how did you figure out that it was the sugar and grains two months later?

ThyPeace, and what if you're right in the middle of a cycle?  Is it cycle 2 or cycle 3 or both that are affected?

... Sometimes it takes a month or 2.  Seriously....2 months later I am stuck in bed for 3 days with a super intense migraine. 

Okay, so how exactly did you figure this out?  Because that must have taken some really careful tracking.  I believe you -- my cousin got pregnant with her second son after she eliminated wheat completely and it normalized her cycle.  But -- how did you figure out that it was the sugar and grains two months later?

ThyPeace, and what if you're right in the middle of a cycle?  Is it cycle 2 or cycle 3 or both that are affected?

Well it took me roughly 9 + months to figure this out.  All I knew is that when I did a whole 30 I didn't have a migraine for about 2 months after.  (I would generally get one during) But after the 2 months I would get them again - not intense like before - because I am mostly paleo most of the time. But I noticed (and had it confirmed here on the boards) that if I would consume more sugar - the worse and more intense they became.  Usually my sugar indulgence comes in the form of baked goods (Achilles heel as I am a decent baker) and chocolate.

So I asked on the forums why I might have more intense migraines at times than I did at other times.  Some well informed posters and Moderators that were knowledgeable about hormones asked me what I was eating 2 months ago - as it would affect hormone levels. My short answer was sugar - but just to be sure I started tracking and sure enough - I'm almost 100% sure that both gluten and sugar mess me up hormone wise.  

Gluten is a really weird one for me.  I can have a plain piece of bread with nothing on it and it feels like I swallowed a bowling ball.  I can have the same piece of bread slathered in butter and it affects me minimally (it's because the fat from the butter actually helps me digest).  I can have a beautiful fresh croissant and it does nothing to me.  It doesn't keep me full at all. But that's the only immediate side affect. But these are just observations.   

Thanks, Carlaccini!  That's a really interesting story.  I was wondering how to pay attention to the longer-term effects of things, and will keep all this in mind!

ThyPeace, but I don't have migraines.  Thank goodness!

Archived