pounding heart and tired leg muscles

I'm on Day 5. Yesterday I felt crappy, like my bones were made of lead and my brain was gray sludge. Okay. The timeline said fatigue is to be expected sometime in the first few days. But today, after a good solid 8 hours of sleep, when I have gone up and down the stairs in the house, my heart is pounding and my leg muscles feel really tired. I don't think I am THAT out of shape! Is this something other people experience around now?

• Moderators

Tell us what you've been eating and drinking, in what amounts, and when, in the past few days as well as your sleeping and exercise habits. We might be better able to help you troubleshoot with more info.

Check your electolytes. If you've gone lower carb than you're used to, you could lose sodium, potas, and mag really quickly. I had to add sea salt to my water and started taking magnesium and potassium after I saw how super low I was in all of them. I was extremely fatigued and having weird twitches in my muscles and felt like my heart couldn't take walking up my stairs!

80 ounces of water daily at least (I carry a 20-oz glass around with me), 2 small cups of coffee in the morning.

NOTE... All mayo, sauces, spices and ingredients are compliant - I did a thorough clean-up ahead of time

DAY 1 BREAKFAST 3 scr. eggs over 3 c steamed spinach with 1/2 avo and lemon juice. LUNCH Tuna salad made w/ 1/2 diced apple, celery and mayo over 3 to 4 c lettuce mix. SNACK handful dry-roasted almonds. 4 oz hamburger over baby power greens sauteed with org sun-dried tomatoes, fresh mushrooms and onions. THEN (found out later this was a no-no as a Sugar Dragon talking) 1/2 c org blueberries with 3 T coconut cream

DAY 2 BREAKFAST, Same as DAY 1, only just with 2 eggs. LUNCH, 4 c lettuce, cherry tomatoes, 1 c Tex-Mex ground beef and spicy avo salad dressing (again, homemade and compliant). DINNER, Ditto Day 1, only I had some blueberries WITH the meal.

DAY 3 BREAKFAST, 2 eggs scrambled with leftover ground beef over 3 cups baby spinach, steamed. LUNCH, Leftover Day 1 dinner. DINNER, (didn't plan ahead well enough to account for errands after work) leftover tuna salad,a handful of almonds and about 6 or 7 org strawberries

DAY 4 BREAKFAST, 3 eggs over steamed baby spinach with 2 slices of bacon (found a local store carrying locally-made fresh applewood smoked bacon with NO ADDITVES at all - yay). 2 hardboiled eggs, 2 sardines, 2 cups sliced cucumber, 5 olives, with 2 T sriracha mayo and 1/2 an apple. DINNER, 1 grilled chicken breast ala Joulwan, 1 c steamed green beans with lemon and, while cooking dinner, La Croix soda blended with 6 strawberries crushed with ice.

Thanks ahead for any tips...

P. S. Is there a place to keep track of this here, so I can do this daily?

To Meadowlily, peace-positive and Lady M, yes, I take 50mcg levothyroxine per day. I don't know what my electrolyte levels are now...last summer they were all within normal ranges. Food list above.

I felt better after breakfast, but after an hour of digging and hoeing the veg garden, I feel like someone ran over me with a steam roller. Drank plenty of water, too. This is not usual.

I'm not seeing any starchy vegetables. I'd suggest adding a fistful of those once or twice a day with your meals and see if that helps things improve.  These include potatoes, winter squash, beets, carrots, plantains, jicama, rutabaga and parsnips.

When eggs are your sole protein, the serving size is the number of whole eggs you can hold in one hand. For most folks, that's at least 3 eggs.

If you are hungry between meals (litmus test: you could eat something bland like steamed fish and broccoli), the recommended snack is a mini-meal of protein, veg and fat. Nuts are a fat source on a Whole30.

Also, don't let fruit push veggies off your plate (re: the leftover tuna salad dinner). At your last dinner with the chicken, did you have any added fat?

Yeah, tuna fish salad dinner night was not good...i had passed the point of being hungry some time before. Will try adding starchy veg (in fact made a sweet potato soup tonight) and making sure about fats. No, I'm not getting hungry between meals, which is new for me, and no night time cravings...I'm amazed.

Thanks for the help, Chris.

Archived